Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where are the previews of upcoming products?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sureshot
I love the latest version of Shadowrun but there seems to be no initative on the part of Fanpro to really promote the game. Showing us interior art is nice, how about some sections of the book. At the very least how about an update on how things are at the moment with Shadowrun. One occasionaly uppdate is not going to keep interest in your game alive. Palladium does a better job than Fanpro when it comes to product promotion.
Nim
QUOTE (sureshot)
I love the latest version of Shadowrun but there seems to be no initative on the part of Fanpro to really promote the game. Showing us interior art is nice, how about some sections of the book. At the very least how about an update on how things are at the moment with Shadowrun. One occasionaly uppdate is not going to keep interest in your game alive. Palladium does a better job than Fanpro when it comes to product promotion.

Unfortunately, I have to agree a bit here. It took a good bit of digging to actually FIND a list of all of the upcoming products.

The logical place to look (the 'Books' page, and then under the 'Upcoming Releases') section listed Runner Havens, Street Magic and Shadows of Latin America. Each of those has a 1-paragraph summary, a picture of the cover, and a bit of other information...though it lacks the CRITICAL piece, which would be a projected release date. Also, there were 'News' posts with interior art and such, but those weren't linked from the product page.

It took a trip to the FanPro site (rather than the Shadowrun site) and digging for the retailer catalog to find info about Emergence, Arsenal, or Augmentation.

Demonseed Elite
Even I've got to agree there. But I also know that folks are busy as hell, so I imagine that's why there hasn't been many previews. Still, if they got the time, a Runner Havens text preview is certainly do-able, since that writing has been fixed for a bit.
knasser
I emailed them about a week ago and they said Street Magic and Arsenal were on schedule with StrM out in August ready for GenCon and Arsenal due out in late September.

But they really really need to put at least a little bit of effort into publicity. I had to find out about the products by searching for them on Amazon. The shadowrunrpg.com website is awful for finding information. Heck, I'd help them maintain it for the sake of having up to date information on there (well, maybe free books too. smile.gif )

@Nim. I haven't heard of Emergence. What's that? I can probably guess what Augmented is about, but I'd thought that Arsenal was going to cover cyberware. You mean I have to wait even longer for Samurai to get their turn? Please - just give me a contents page and I'll be happy!

Maybe if this thread grows long enough, we can email a link to the Fanpro and they'll take notice.

EDIT: Ended sentance with a preposition.
iron_ic
Agreed. Their pre-Sr4 previews were okay, but now...

@knasser: Emergence is a campaign based on the "emergence" of the first TMs.
Nim
My info was from the FanPro catalog. There's also an info sheet for Emergence.
Adam
The shadowrunrpg.com website is awful for finding information.

Please elaborate -- since we don't plan on offering release dates beyond "upcoming" until we have a very good idea when a book will be available [that is, once it's sent to or, better yet, returned from press], I'm not sure what we could be doing [aside from providing more "progress reports" as books progress.

The website certainly does need some nips and tucks, culling some old info and re-prioritizing new info. I hope to hammer down a lot of my web TODO list in July, between Origins and GenCon.

And beyond-art previews, as always, will be released about the same time each book is released as an ebook. [You can't give someone a Table of Contents page until the book is finished... smile.gif]
Zolhex
Heres a question the e book version of the gm screen has been out for sometime now any idea as to when the print version is coming?????
Adam
It's just about finished at the printers, and then has to go through the shipping process ... it should be in stores in late July, I'd suspect/hope.
ShadowDragon
Nothing on regular hacking I see. Why'd they have to half ass the hacking rules? frown.gif
Nim
Adam -

From a publicity / drawing new players perspective, one thing to consider with regards to the website is that it says very little to someone who doesn't already know what Shadowrun IS. If tell someone 'Hey, I'm in this really cool Shadowrun campaign - you should try it out!', and they say 'What the drek is Shadowrun?', I can't just send them to shadowrunrpg.com and expect them to figure it out. The site doesn't do much to sell the setting of the game, and it's really the setting that sells books.

I'm guessing that a lot of the content you'd need to do that probably already exists as introductory fluff in the BBB and other books. It's just a matter of presenting it on the site in a cool way.
Adam
Nim -- I agree. More stuff like that is in the works, starting with the Quick Play rules and some more world/setting material, and re-building the "Newbies" page to point them to the stuff they should read/know first.

ShadowDragon -- "Unwired" will cover hacking in detail, but it's far enough away that we haven't solicited it to the book trade yet, so there isn't any info on it floating around.

I'll work on adding a page to the Books section that lists the upcoming SR4 rulebooks in a little more detail, compiling what info we've already released.
sureshot
QUOTE (Nim @ Jun 25 2006, 03:49 PM)
Adam -

From a publicity / drawing new players perspective, one thing to consider with regards to the website is that it says very little to someone who doesn't already know what Shadowrun IS. If tell someone 'Hey, I'm in this really cool Shadowrun campaign - you should try it out!', and they say 'What the drek is Shadowrun?', I can't just send them to shadowrunrpg.com and expect them to figure it out. The site doesn't do much to sell the setting of the game, and it's really the setting that sells books.

I'm guessing that a lot of the content you'd need to do that probably already exists as introductory fluff in the BBB and other books. It's just a matter of presenting it on the site in a cool way.

Well said Nim. Exactly what I wanted to say. Adam thanks for keeping us up to date.
Abbandon
My only wish is that the supplemental books have tons of examples and are in depth. SR4 left alot of the stuff up in the air with multiple possable interpretations.

Otherwise all i got to say is thanx for keeping Shadowrun alive. Now try to get back the electronic rights to the game so we can have REAL versions of shadowrun on our console systems.
Zolhex
Ok so late July for the gm screen to be in print brings up this question.

In looking over the catalog of upcoming products it says runner havens and street magic are due in the second quarter.

So are the quarters set up this way?

January February March 1st quarter

April May June 2nd quarter

July August September 3rd quarter and

October November December as the 4th quarter?

If so does that mean we can expect street magic and runner havens in the next 5 days? Please please please say yes lol. Seriously though any thoughts on what we can expect to be out soon aside from the gm screen?

Maybe something on the website in a day or two saying ok this book is at the printers this one is going to the printers this is is coming from the printers ect ect ?
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (Casazil)
Ok so late July for the gm screen to be in print brings up this question.

In looking over the catalog of upcoming products it says runner havens and street magic are due in the second quarter.

So are the quarters set up this way?

January February March 1st quarter

April May June 2nd quarter

July August September 3rd quarter and

October November December as the 4th quarter?

If so does that mean we can expect street magic and runner havens in the next 5 days? Please please please say yes lol. Seriously though any thoughts on what we can expect to be out soon aside from the gm screen?

Maybe something on the website in a day or two saying ok this book is at the printers this one is going to the printers this is is coming from the printers ect ect ?

hey see knasser's post above

street magic in august
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (Adam)
ShadowDragon -- "Unwired" will cover hacking in detail, but it's far enough away that we haven't solicited it to the book trade yet, so there isn't any info on it floating around.

I know frown.gif

But why can't you guys give us a FAQ or something? Maybe some concret examples. It's seems silly to me that a suppliment is required to explain the basics of hacking - it should expand on what we have.
Synner
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
But why can't you guys give us a FAQ or something? Maybe some concret examples. It's seems silly to me that a suppliment is required to explain the basics of hacking - it should expand on what we have.

a) A FAQ is in the works.
b) Unwired will expand on what we have and it will also provide more context to the rules already in the BBB (in the same way Street Magic will provide alternate Traditions using the same rules found in the Magic chapter of the basic book). It won't revise or retread the same rules, but hopefully the additional context will clarify lingering doubts about how things flow together.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Jun 26 2006, 11:19 AM)

a) A FAQ is in the works.
b) Unwired will expand on what we have and it will also provide more context to the rules already in the BBB (in the same way Street Magic will provide alternate Traditions using the same rules found in the Magic chapter of the basic book). It won't revise or retread the same rules, but hopefully the additional context will clarify lingering doubts about how things flow together.

Will the FAQ clarify those doubts? I don't want to have to wait two years.

How soon will the FAQ be done?
Nim
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
How soon will the FAQ be done?

QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 22 2006, 10:50 AM)

Unfortunately I can't offer a hard date. The FAQ is a priority but currently FanPro is swamped.

Just saving Synner the time, since I asked him the same thing last week smile.gif
Lagomorph
I'm glad to hear about the faq, I'm looking forward to reading it.
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
I'm glad to hear about the faq, I'm looking forward to reading it.

aren't we all :)
Grinder
QUOTE (www.pressure-fest.de)
Do people get hurt at Pressure Festival?
It is included in the ticketprice.

That are FAQs I really like.

But I'm also looking forward to see one for SR4 - even though it will be awfully long. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012