Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell defense and LOS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Abbandon
errr guess i shouldnt spoil novels for others lol.

Ok i will skip ahead to my question. It doesnt seem right that you cant cast a spell at a target if you cant see him so how is it that you CAN use counterspelling on a target that you can not see??

Timmy and the security mage are fighting in another room. Sparkle the runner mage cant blast the security mage with any spells because there is a wall between them. But she can give spell defense to Timmy even though she cant see him either??
Shrike30
Nope.
Dr. Dodge
p.175
"A protected character must also stay within the magician’s line of sight in order for Counterspelling to be used. Note that a magician can always use Counterspelling to defend herself, unless surprised."

is this what you're talking about?
Abbandon
what do you mean "nope". I said alot of stuff so what exactly are you saying nope to ??

Ahhh. That sucks. Man i think that author Sam kennsen worked on one of the rulebooks or something and he keeps doing all this wierd crap in his novels.

He was letting this mage give spell defense to people he could not ..........oh...thats right....there were little viewing slots in the side of the thing he was in.....
Shrike30
I'm sorry, I felt that the flow of what you'd written (ending with a question) would be handled by a simple yes/no response fairly easily. I'll try to be more clear in the future.

Counterspelling has the same line-of-sight restrictions as spellcasting does... you must have LOS to the target you're trying to Counterspell for, or it doesn't work. Happily, things like cover, smoke, etc do not interfere with Counterspelling.
Cochise
QUOTE (Abbandon)
errr guess i shouldnt spoil novels for others lol. 

Since all SR novels are based on SR1 to SR3 rulesets and heavily utilize the concept of artistic license, you shouldn't wonder that novels allow things that the rules don't (or didn't).

Ok i will skip ahead to my question.  It doesnt seem right that you cant cast a spell at a target if you cant see him so how is it that you CAN use counterspelling on a target that you can not see??

This however is not so much artistic license but RAW under SR3 canon (IIRC even SR2). You could perform spell defense for targets within certain range without LOS. Spell Defense worked slightly different under SR3 than it does in SR4.

Timmy and the security mage are fighting in another room.  Sparkle the runner mage cant blast the security mage with any spells because there is a wall between them.  But she can give spell defense to Timmy even though she cant see him either??

So the answer there is: Under rules of previous editions that was possible ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012