Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware Implantation Surgery Rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sphynx
After reading a recent thread, thought it'd be a good idea to post how the Cyberware surgery rules work and what a group should ignore to make the rules a bit more friendly.

First, ignore the Surgery Table on page 146, that'll make life ALOT easier.

TNs:
Basic Grade: 4
Alpha Grade: 5
Beta Grade: 6
Delta Grade: 10
Basic Bioware: 5
Cultured: 6

The number of successes is the most important thing:
1 Success: 2 negative options
2 Successes: 1 negative option.
3 Successes: No options.
4+ successes: 1 Positive Option possible per success over 3.

Now, the confusing part for most people. Take the Highest Rolled Dice if you have 4+ successes and subtract your roll from the required TN. This is your Calculated Threshold. You gain a maximum number of Positive Options equal to the number of successes over 3 AND whose total Threshold value is equal to or less than your Calculated Threshold.

So, if your Calculated Threshold is 4 (TN is 6, and a 10 is rolled) than you can get 2: +2Threshold Positive Options if you also got at least 5 successes on your Biotech roll.

As you can probably see, chances of rolling that many successes with an NPC that has a skill of 6 is pretty slim with those TNs. So make sure your Doctor has a Rating 6+ skillwires with a rating 6 CED and a Rating 6+ Biotech soft if you want to gain both Essence Slot and Essence Reduction. nyahnyah.gif

If, however, you are getting a nice legal piece of body enhancement inside a hospital with a team of doctors, you can reduce the TN by the total number of Doctors on the team. Or, a nice illegal piece of body enhancement in one of those pleasant development labs which qualifies as a hospital with a team of said doctors... that'd also be... "safe" Muahahahah.... cyber.gif

Sphynx

Hope that helps in understanding the rather cryptic surgery rules in M&M.
TinkerGnome
There are a lot of ways to bring the numbers down, even for a black clinic. Having someone on your team with some medical knowledge (Biotech and Medicine 4) and a mage with heal/treat who sit in on the surgery nets you a -2 modifier to the implant proceedure. Also, finding a clinic with better equipment than you need can help, too (plus the -1 for simply being in a fixed location clinic). Getting Betaware installed in a Delta grade clinic by two doctors, one of which is magicly active would be a TN of 2, for instance.

Most street doc contacts should have a skill of 7 or 8, so having one is a must for those who want surgery done later.

Also, keep in mind that every big positive option you want as part of the surgical plan costs you money (they charge by the MP for that, and each option is a multiplier of its threshold on cost).
Sphynx
Wel,, except for the -2 for Magic Healing, yeah, that's true, but was trying to 'KISS' here for people who are easily confused. wink.gif The Surgery Table is great once the basics are nicely understood, but usually I find that (at least in our games) for all the bonuses you can get, you end up getting an equal amount of negatives making my hard-number suggestion the standard. And actually, Beta in a Delta w/ 2 Doctors (1 magically active) would be TN 4. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
It's TN 2, though my initial math was off. I was going off the TN 6 number above (it's really TN 7 to install Beta grade ware) and gave only a -1 for better gear.

TN 4 - 1 magical care - 1 additional doctor - 1 clinic - 2 for medical equipment of a better grade than necessary + 3 for beta grade = TN 2. Plus any patient condition modifiers for low essence, being awakened, etc.

The only reason I bring it up is that it's relatively easy to knock the seemingly high TNs down with a bit of cash if you really want those positive options. Personally, I'd pocket the money 90% of the time and just go with no positive options or ones that are just +1 threshold (and thus no modifier on planning time/cost... bio index and essence slot being the two I'd always spring for if they were applicable). For instance, the most basic installation surgery (basic grade cyberware) will run you 14,400 nuyen.gif for the proceedure design alone. Adding a +2 threshold option ups that to 28,800 nuyen.gif immediately. The wording is very murky, but it's possible that the medicine roll will decrease this cost (p 146).

To cut costs, you can avoid a surgical plan (or even the medical profile), for a +1 (or +2) modifier to the surgery test. I doubt any legit doc is going to go for that, though. It's easy to see why gangers don't generally have much 'ware.
Sphynx
Actually, inital TN for Beta is 8. The Clinic is already calculated into the alg counter balanced by the fact most PC's are either at 2 or less Essence or are magically active. Like I said, a hard-number average to 'KISS'. +4 for Beta Grade gives a TN of 4 (TN 3 if you're at over 2 Essence and magically active, and have no Bioware, but that's a rare PC).

The main purpose of the thread though was to explain Threshold a bit and offer an optional system to the surgery table.

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
Umm... what printing of M&M are you looking at? My version very clearly gives a +3 for Beta grade implant surgery. I was talking about a very specific case, anyway.

The more realistic number for a Beta implant would be TN 5 (Base 4 + 3 Beta grade - 1 clinic - 1 extra doctor - 1 magical care + 1 magic/essence). A good surgeon (biotech/surgery 7/8, as the street doc contact in SR3C) would make 2 successes very likely and have a very good chance at three. Positive options are hard, but that's because they're something special.
Sphynx
My bad, you're right about Beta. nyahnyah.gif

Anyhows, your TN 5 now matches my first post which says 6 - extra doctors. nyahnyah.gif See? Nice simple system for people not wanting to deal with all the numbers. wink.gif

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
Well, I would rather hope that all of the discussion makes people more willing to dive in to the numbers. Surgery is really very simple and so rare in most games that you should have plenty of time for it. There are four steps, and two of them are mostly optional.

1. (optional) Create a medical profile
What it takes: A clinic and a doctor
What it costs: medical skill x 20 nuyen.gif
What it does: Gives medical data which can be used to make sure the surgical plan is tailored to you properly. It is required for a DocWagon contract.
What's it mean: Without it, you have a +1 to the surgery test, plus you can't do step 2 (for a total +2 modifier).

2. (optional) Create a surgical plan
What it takes: The profile from step 1, a doctor, and a computer
What it costs: A base of 14,400 nuyen.gif modified by successes on a medicine roll and the grade of the implant
What it does: Makes sure the surgical machines know what to poke where. This is also where positive and negative options are selected.
What it means: A +1 to the surgical test without it.

3. Surgery
What it takes: A doctor and some equipment
What it costs: biotech skill x 40 nuyen.gif per doctor (for implants)
What it does: Puts the hardware into the meaty shell.
What it means: Here's where the test is made. There's a surgery table with lots of modifiers. In general, you will have a base TN deteremined by the type of surgery, a modifier based on where the surgery is being performed, a modifier or two based on who is doing the surgery, and probably a few modifiers based on the patient and the specific type of surgery.

4. Aftermath
What it requires: Some rest
What it costs: See the surgical damage tables etc. The only cost is what it costs you to heal afterward.
What it does: Gets you back to shape.
What it means: Surgical options will probably make themselves felt here, if there are any.

Surgical options are fairly easy once you get the hang of them. If you're not going for positive options, then they're not really important since negative options don't require any rules aside from the success chart.
Siege
See, that makes sense and it's easy to follow.

The Man & Machine section just gave me a headache.

Of course, I've been accused of being a linear thinker...

-Siege
Sphynx
Except it was missing the most important (as far as difficulty in understanding) part. How Threshold works and what they do to the tests. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
Threshold is only important for positive options which are optional.
Sphynx
I realize that, but the idea of this thread was to explain the difficult parts and provide a KISS solution. nyahnyah.gif People tend to assume it's easy to "fill essence slot" and I am pointing out, via this thread, the difficulty in it. Previously it had even been thought that the TN was adjusted by the Threshold (not true) and that the Threshold worked like Manip spells where you needed that many MORE successes to gain the Option (also not true).

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
The short of threshold is this. Take the highest result from your biotech roll. This is the maximum possible threshold you have met. Take the base TN of the surgery, and this is your current threshold. As you count off successes, add the modifier of the option to the threshold. When you can't beat it anymore you stop adding options.

An example. I'm playing my mage/doctor Doc and he had an amazing surgery to implant a guy with a new set of basic cybereyes. The surgical plan was this:

Successes (Options)
1 (Obvious, Sensitive)
2 (Sensitive)
3 (No options)
4 (Essence Slot)
5 (Concealed)
6 (Essence Reduction)

Doc has a Biotech of 6, and is renting space in a rating 3 Alpha clinic for the job. His TN for the surgery was 2 and he rolled: 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5

His highest result was a 6, so that's the threshold he met. We take a look at the chart again and add in thresholds. It starts at 2 since that was our base threshold, and we add each modifier to that number as we come to it.

Successes Threshold
1 Threshold = Base TN = 2
2 Threshold = 2
3 Threshold = 2
4 Threshold = 2 + 2 (essence slot modifier) = 4
5 Threshold = 4 + 1 (concealed modifier) = 5
6 Threshold = 5 + 2 (essence reduction modifier) = 7

So looking at the chart, we can see that Doc managed to avoid the negative options and got at least four successes, so he compares his high die (5) to the threshold of that option. 4 < 5, so he gets essence slot and goes on to the next success level since he still has successes. He compares his result (5) to the threshold on this option (also 5) and sees that 5=5 so concealed is also achieved. Doc has one more success, so he has a chace at adding another option since he has it in his plan. He takes a look at the threshold, however, and sees that his result (5) is less than the threshold for that step (7). The option is not achieved and he stops checking (even if he weren't out of successes).
Wish
Keep in mind that most docs will have some ware of their own. Microvision implants in the eyes drops the TN for the operation by 2. An encephelon adds task pool.

Docs also have karma pool (probably not much, but let's say 2). As a GM I would treat each significant surgery as a scene. So your doc has a surgery specialization of 8, task pool of 2, and opts to add an extra die to the test from karma (since he doesn't have enough to make two rerolls). That's 11 dice, with pretty reasonable TNs, and a reroll.
Sphynx
So, uhm.... what are you saying here TG that I didn't say in my post? nyahnyah.gif Just re-iterating it?

Wish, I don't think docs would have Encephalons personally, too essence unfriendly for what little they do, but good idea nonetheless. As for Cybereyes, I don't think my GM would allow a -2 TN for a biotech roll, it's for micro-sized manipulations only.

As for Karma, I agree, but previous threads had the majority of the people disagreeing, only allowing Karma refreshing at end of the day not until the weekend even. But, again, I agree that Docs should have a karma pool that refreshes after every surgery, but realize that's a House system, not necessarily Canon.

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
I just spelled it out with an example. I learn that way, myself, and thought others might benefit from one (one of the greatest things about the Hero system si the fact that absolutely every ability, rule, and statement has an example right there with it, something I wish SR mimiced a bit better). For karma, it's not something you can count on being available. And I'm also in the camp that doubts Microvision would be applicable for most surgery types. Though it might have an application in repair based surgery.
Siege
I dunno -- I think any surgery involves some fine manipulation.

And I think any image enhancement that improves your ability to see what and where you're cutting would be a good thing.

For some reason, I'm thinking of all the "live surgeries" I've seen with doctors who had magnifying thingies on their glasses.

-Siege
Cochise
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Threshold is only important for positive options which are optional.

Not really, since 2 negative options are manditory ...
And once you have positive options on the list, the Threshold also becomes relevant for the TN of the surgical test itself ...

QUOTE (M&M @ p. 148, Surgical Options)
Positive options also list a Threshold Modifier, which increases the target number for the Surgery Test (see Surgical Tests, p. 146

So although it's called "Threahold", it's also a TN modifier for the test itself ...
But how does it affect the Surgery Test?
P. 146 isn't too informative there, since it says: base TN according to surgery type, options are listed on p. 148 (including the sentecne that brought us to p. 146) and that any TN modifier from the Surgery Table (also p. 146) applies.

But there's one more point to look at:

QUOTE (M&M @ p. 144, Surgery Overview)
... At 0 successes it fails. At 1 success, it succeeds, but both negative options apply. At 2 successes, it succeeds, but only the second negative option applies. Break even is 3 successes, and each success past that means that a positive option was achieved.
      Additionally, each Surgery Test made is treated as an open-ended Success Test. The Target Number for this is called the surgical Threshold. The base Threshold is the test's base target number. Count down the Procedural List, marking off options achieved by the successes. Surgical options can modify the Threshold as options are reached on the Procedural List. Apply any Threshold modifiers; all such modifiers are cumulative. If the high result of the Surgical Test does not meet the modified Threshold, that option is not achieved, nor are any others further down the list, even if there are successes remaining.

Now this is interesting, since this means that the actual Threshold modifier only comes into play, once the option in question is reached on the procedural list.

A little example here:

Let's say, we implant an alpha smartlink in an alpha clinic with rating of 7 (slightly better than the normal alpha clinic) and our doctor has a skill of 7 as well => we can have up to seven positive options on our procedure list but we'll only try to have 5.

Let's asume a Base TN of:
4 install cyberware
+ 1 alphaware
- 1 Medical shop / clinic
---------------------------
4 *I know it could be better, but it's just an example, so let's keep it simple*

Now we'll have our procedure list with:
* Essence Cost (negative 1)
* Fragility (negative 2)
* Nanosurgery (Thres +2, option 1)
* Redundancy (Thres +2, option 2)
* Essence Reduction (Thres +2, option 3)
* Essence Reduction (Thres +2, option 4)
* Essence Reduction (Thres +2, option 5)

Now our surgeon does his test with 7 skill dice + 7 from the gear he uses as complementary dice.

Now let's assume he end's up rolling the following results:

Skill: 1,2,2,3,4,5,6
Complementary dice: 2,2,3,4,4,4,4

Now we have to go down the list ...
1st success .. check ..
2st success .. check .. negative option 1 avoided
3rd success .. check ... negative option 2 avoided, break even
4th success? 1st positive Option has just raised Threshold and TN for success by 2. Is there a six under those successes? Yes => positive option 1 achieved
5th success? 2nd positive Option has just raised Threshold and TN for success by another +2. Is there an eight under those successes? No => Option not achieved. Options further down the list cannot be achieved, end of procedure.

But there's a catch:
Let's change the dice roll to

Skill: 1,2,4,4,5,5,6
Complementary dice: 2,2,3,4,4,8,14

We go down the list again ...
1st success .. check ..
2st success .. check .. negative option 1 avoided
3rd success .. check ... negative option 2 avoided, break even
4th success? 1st positive Option raised Threshold and TN for success by 2. We do have one success with a result of 6 or higher => 1st positive option achieved
5th success? 2nd positive option raised Threshold by +2 to 8. Do we have a success of 8 and higher? Yes, the two last successes in the complementary dice have a combined value gretaer equal 8 => 2nd positive option achieved.
6th success? 3rd positive option raised Threshold and TN by another +2.

This is the point where the actual debate starts. The 14 with the complementary dice would suffice to achieve all options, since it is high enough to meet top value of Threshold modifieres in total, provided that the test has a total of 8 successes. We do have a total of 7 successes against the base surgery TN of 4. Thus most people (and from what I gather you and Sphynx do count in there) would now assume that's enough to achieve four of the five positive options, but accoding to p. 148 (see first quote ) the Threshold also applies as TN modifier for the Surgey Test itself.
Now that would mean that the surgeon only scored successes against TNs of 4,6 and 8 (since the 14 was used to generate the needed success against TN 8 after 2nd positive option was achieved) and the remaining successes (one 5 from skill and the two 4s on complementary dice) aren't actually successes and thus are lost => Ending the surgyery with only 2 positive options achieved ...

*Drek, whenever that discussion arises, it get extremly complicated*
Sphynx
Not quite Cochise. I know the p148 reference seems to imply that, but as page 144 states, it's an Open Ended Success Test. This means that, just like Stealth, your highest roll determines how well you did, but the base TN is still based on the situation and not at all on the Options (except for creating a procedure). The p148 reference is saying that the TN is equal to that to get the option, not to pass the surgery test.

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
Three quick points.
  • If you don't get more than three successes, threshold doesn't come into play at all. While Cochise quotes something that makes it sound like it would, I saw that and also scoured the entire section on surgery. As near as I can tell, that statement is somewhat misleading. If it is actually meant to do what it says, then the previous sections of the book are erroneous in not listing it as a modifier on the tables and in the text.
  • Positive options are still optional. You don't have to use any at all, and not using them can greatly lower the cost of the surgical plan.
  • You can't do the nano treatments and proceedures in clinics rated less than Beta.
Cochise
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Three quick points. 

• If you don't get more than three successes, threshold doesn't come into play at all.  While Cochise quotes something that makes it sound like it would, I saw that and also scoured the entire section on surgery.  As near as I can tell, that statement is somewhat misleading.  If it is actually meant to do what it says, then the previous sections of the book are erroneous in not listing it as a modifier on the tables and in the text.

Actually it simply creates the need for an errata of some sorts. Which one has to be determined ...

• Positive options are still optional.  You don't have to use any at all, and not using them can greatly lower the cost of the surgical plan.

Never doubted that, I just said that options are not irrelevant, since at two negative ones are on the procedure list.

• You can't do the nano treatments and proceedures in clinics rated less than Beta.

Not quite, such a clinic must be nano-equipped .. That's why I used an alpha clinic with a rating of 7 (which is higher than 6 which would equal a normal nano-equipped clinic) wink.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Not quite Cochise.  I know the p148 reference seems to imply that, but as page 144 states, it's an Open Ended Success Test. 

Yet it still says that it adds to the Target Number and not just the Threshold.
So it doesn't only imply so, but it actually says so ... As complicated and debatable the whole issue get's due to that ...

This means that, just like Stealth, your highest roll determines how well you did, but the base TN is still based on the situation and not at all on the Options (except for creating a procedure).

I'm perfectly aware what an open ended test is. But the part about adding to the TN of the Surgical Test is not negated by that, since open ended tests do not have a Target Number in the first place ...

The p148 reference is saying that the TN is equal to that to get the option, not to pass the surgery test.

Could you quote where it actually does say so?
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Cochise)
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
As near as I can tell, that statement is somewhat misleading.  If it is actually meant to do what it says, then the previous sections of the book are erroneous in not listing it as a modifier on the tables and in the text.
Actually it simply creates the need for an errata of some sorts. Which one has to be determined ...

Exactly what I was getting at. It's a GM call until someone makes it clear what's going on there. Right now it looks like you get hit with the threshold twice, once as part of the base TN and again as you see which options worked. While I'm not saying that's not the way it could work, it isn't a 100% definite thing from the text (because of the ways you can interpret the statement).
QUOTE (Cochise)
QUOTE (Tinkergnome)

• Positive options are still optional.  You don't have to use any at all, and not using them can greatly lower the cost of the surgical plan.

Never doubted that, I just said that options are not irrelevant, since at two negative ones are on the procedure list.

The threshold (not the negative options) is irrelevant for surgery which doesn't include positive options. Which was my original point. Most people couldn't care less about most positive surgical options (essence slot being a noted exception). Negative options even really use the threshold, since the threshold for them is the same as the base surgery TN. If you don't hit that, the surgery didn't work at all.
QUOTE (Cochise)
Not quite, such a clinic must be nano-equipped .. That's why I used an alpha clinic with a rating of 7 (which is higher than 6 which would equal a normal nano-equipped clinic) wink.gif

Actually, do you have a page number for that? I know that Nano-surgery appears on the finding a provider charts, but I haven't seen anything more specific. I'm probably just overlooking it, though.
Cochise
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Exactly what I was getting at.  It's a GM call until someone makes it clear what's going on there.  Right now it looks like you get hit with the threshold twice, once as part of the base TN and again as you see which options worked.  While I'm not saying that's not the way it could work, it isn't a 100% definite thing from the text (because of the ways you can interpret the statement).

Fine, although I have my doubts about your prefered solution not being open to possibilities of exploiting it heavily ... *I can think of at least one ...*

QUOTE (Tinkergnome)
Actually, do you have a page number for that?  I know that Nano-surgery appears on the finding a provider charts, but I haven't seen anything more specific.  I'm probably just overlooking it, though.

There isn't much more. The surgery option demands the capability of performing that type of surgery.
The medical rating table on p. 144 says that Providers capable of doing jobs involving Nanoware have a base rating of 6. So any clinic of a similar rating could be considered to be able to perform nanosurgery.
Yet since the word nanosurgery doesn't turn up anywhere else in particular, it's again more or less up to the GM to decide if the clinic will be able to perform that type of surgery ... And since even basic bone-lacing involves nanites during the process according to the description of these cyberware items you could argue that any clinic that does cyberimplant shoudl be able to perform nano-surgery ...
Sphynx
QUOTE (Cochise)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Not quite Cochise.  I know the p148 reference seems to imply that, but as page 144 states, it's an Open Ended Success Test. 

Yet it still says that it adds to the Target Number and not just the Threshold.
So it doesn't only imply so, but it actually says so ... As complicated and debatable the whole issue get's due to that ...

This means that, just like Stealth, your highest roll determines how well you did, but the base TN is still based on the situation and not at all on the Options (except for creating a procedure).

I'm perfectly aware what an open ended test is. But the part about adding to the TN of the Surgical Test is not negated by that, since open ended tests do not have a Target Number in the first place ...

The p148 reference is saying that the TN is equal to that to get the option, not to pass the surgery test.

Could you quote where it actually does say so?

Yeah, the one on page 148 that says that the increase in TN is for the Threshold Modifier which on page 144 is described as an Open Ended Test.

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
My experience with surgery has all been as a player. I only know what I can do and how, so I've never looked for too many holes in the surgical system. My character rarely looks at low TNs for his work, so adding in options (with or without modifiers to the base TN) simply isn't that important to me at the levels I've played. If I get three successes on an implant, I consider myself incredibly lucky most of the time.

That said, if surgical options add their threshold to the base TN I'd have a hard time ever using them. And I'm not saying that isn't how it should be, just that it greatly maginalizes positive options. Take my character with the six dice. The difference between TN 2 and TN 4 on a surgery check is so huge that he might as well never add in positive options. By trying for a positive, you are making the negative more likely. In your previous example, the surgical test would have a TN of 14 if you planned in all of those positive options if you add the threshold modifiers to the base TN. And you'd need a 24 on the highest die to get all of the options (after scoring 8 successes on a TN 14 roll).
Cochise
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Yeah, the one on page 148 that says that the increase in TN is for the Threshold Modifier which on page 144 is described as an Open Ended Test.

But it doesn't say so there (nor on p. 144 or 146) ...

It says: .. which increases the target number for the Surgery Test (see Surgcial Test, p. 146)

And page 146 specifically deals with teh surgical test and it's modifiers but does nowhere speak of the open ended test that's mentioned on p. 144.

And when we look at p. 144 we do find that there is the TN for the surgical test and the part about open ended test.
Unfortunately an open ended test does not have a target number, so the Thresholdmodifier cannot modify a target number for an open ended test of any sorts

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
My experience with surgery has all been as a player. I only know what I can do and how, so I've never looked for too many holes in the surgical system.

I wasn't originally looking for holes either ... It just turned out that way, while trying to understand those rules

That said, if surgical options add their threshold to the base TN I'd have a hard time ever using them. And I'm not saying that isn't how it should be, just that it greatly maginalizes positive options.

Yes, it does. Although my example above worked on a dynamic increase of TN during the test itself, which is a slight difference to what you describe at the end of the post I'm currently quoting

Take my character with the six dice. The difference between TN 2 and TN 4 on a surgery check is so huge that he might as well never add in positive options.

One question there: Does your character do surgery on his own? ... Usually that's the job of an NPC medic ...

By trying for a positive, you are making the negative more likely. In your previous example, the surgical test would have a TN of 14 if you planned in all of those positive options if you add the threshold modifiers to the base TN. And you'd need a 24 on the highest die to get all of the options (after scoring 8 successes on a TN 14 roll).

Nope, my example had a dynamically increasing TN upon reaching the next position on the procedure list ... Slight difference there (but still some sort of interpretation of a wording that needs errata sooner or later), since I do actually modify the surgery TN during the course of surgery ...
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Cochise)
Yes, it does. Although my example above worked on a dynamic increase of TN during the test itself, which is a slight difference to what you describe at the end of the post I'm currently quoting.

Huh? How many times are you rolling the dice? Once per level or one time total? A "dynamic increase of TN" sounds very much like the sliding Threshold on the open test (or you're rolling once for each TN). What you describe is no different than the system I was describing originally (base TN = some number without thresholds, then use the open test to determine whether options work or not).

There's no reason a PC can't perform surgery as well as an NPC. There are all sorts of reasons why you'd have the skills but no practice or license. That particular character doesn't practice medicine anymore because he feels he violated his Hippocratic oath for avenging himself on someone who wronged him in a messy and fatal maner (and he's been having some racism issues, too, which have made him frustrated with the profession). He might occasionally do some doctoring for a teammate, but besides that he falls onto other skills for his income.
Cochise
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Huh? How many times are you rolling the dice? Once per level or one time total? A "dynamic increase of TN" sounds very much like the sliding Threshold on the open test (or you're rolling once for each TN). What you describe is no different than the system I was describing originally (base TN = some number without thresholds, then use the open test to determine whether options work or not).

Re-read both examples and you'll note the difference ... Espcially the second example. With your interpretation the doctor would have succeeded to implement 4 of 5 positive options, while with my "dynamic" version only 2 were achieved.
And I still only roll dice once ...

There's no reason a PC can't perform surgery as well as an NPC.  There are all sorts of reasons why you'd have the skills but no practice or license.

Sure, but I'm still not considering the biotech 6 character being the standard runner wink.gif That's why I asked ...

That particular character doesn't practice medicine anymore because he feels he violated his Hippocratic oath for avenging himself on someone who wronged him in a messy and fatal maner (and he's been having some racism issues, too, which have made him frustrated with the profession).  He might occasionally do some doctoring for a teammate, but besides that he falls onto other skills for his income.

That's the explanation I was looking for. You have a particular character capable of performing surgery of that type.
Siege
Would you believe the character has been abusing sim-trainers? grinbig.gif

-Siege
TinkerGnome
Cochise, I keep reading your examples, and coming up with the conclusion that they work the exact same. The only difference is that I forgot you had complementary dice from the equipment.

Though the discussion right now is mostly centered around thresholds, and complementary skills do nothing in open skill tests (nowhere in SR3 that I've seen does an effect exist for this). And the roll that lets you know whether or not you've gotten options is very explicitly an open test (p 144).
Cochise
Either I'm facing a severe form of language barrier or I'm completely misunderstanding your description ...

Let me change your original example:

base TN of 2
dice results: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 6

How many positive options have been achieved according to your understanding?

Because the way I understood Sphynx and you the answer would be: 3, while mine would say 1 ...

As for the complementary dice issue: That's yet another problem coming from that mixed-mode test (simultaniously skill test and an open ended one) ...
TinkerGnome
So you are increasing the target number and reducing the number of successes with each step? That'd be where we differ, I guess. It doesn't seem to fit the way things are set up.
Cochise
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
So you are increasing the target number and reducing the number of successes with each step?

Sort of. I'm marking off the "used" successes against each TN raised through an option while going down the list.

That'd be where we differ, I guess.

Yes ...

It doesn't seem to fit the way things are set up.

It increases the TN for the surgery test as per p. 148, but modifies Threshold as you go down the procedure list (as per p. 144).

As I said before: It's an interpretation of something that seems to be in dire need of an errata.

The reason why I'm going with this vesion (this now concerning only my games!), is the fact that it doesn't allow some insane stunts I've seen with the interpretation you and Sphynx presented , does actually influence the TN (not just Threshold *which is odd for an open ended test anyway*), yet doesn't drive the base TN onto insane levels when using positive options the way you pointed out in one of your earlier postings ...

~shrugs~
BitBasher
this isn't the only case where a success test is also an open test. The rules regarding cyberware stress does the same thing. When someone takes damage, if the highest number rolled on the body test is less than the boxes of damage recieved then the difference is how many potential systems suffer stress. Not only do you have to stage damage down, a vigilant GM should be paying attention to their highest roll also.
Cochise
QUOTE (BitBasher)
this isn't the only case where a success test is also an open test. The rules regarding cyberware stress does the same thing. When someone takes damage, if the highest number rolled on the body test is less than the boxes of damage recieved then the difference is how many potential systems suffer stress. Not only do you have to stage damage down, a vigilant GM should be paying attention to their highest roll also.

"Surprisingly" enough that's yet another M&M rule ...

However, in this case it's now an open test combined with a normal success test, it's a single success test against two different TNs with two potential outcomes, since it doesn't say "open test".
It even says "as if it were a Success Test, with a target number equal to the number of damage boxes inflicted."
Sphynx
Well Cochise, doesn't look like this'll lead anywhere but I think you're reading far too much into that one line which isn't there and ignoring the overall picture.

For one, look at the Surgical Test part where it says that the Surgery Table has the modifiers. Now dont' you think they'd add a +1 per Surgical Option in that table instead of cryptically adding it at the end long after the surgery test rules are written? Actually, maybe not since the writers do tend to split rules up as widely as they can within a book wink.gif but nonetheless, I do think if it was intended to raise the base TN it'd be in that chart. The 148 quote is the TN to achieve the Surgical Option (which is why it's under the Surgical Option section, not the Surgical Test section).

I'm -pretty- sure, based on the overall picture, that the way TG and I describe it is precisely how it was intended. Otherwise it wouldn't be a Threshold Modifier, it'd be a TN Modifier.

Sphynx
Cochise
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Well Cochise, doesn't look like this'll lead anywhere but I think you're reading far too much into that one line which isn't there and ignoring the overall picture.

I'm just dealing with the rules as written ... no more, no less ...

For one, look at the Surgical Test part where it says that the Surgery Table has the modifiers.  Now dont' you think they'd add a +1 per Surgical Option in that table instead of cryptically adding it at the end long after the surgery test rules are written?  Actually, maybe not since the writers do tend to split rules up as widely as they can within a book wink.gif but nonetheless, I do think if it was intended to raise the base TN it'd be in that chart.

And it wouldn't be the first time that something was forgotten on a chart (or still was on one of them although the corrosponding system didn't make it through the design process).

The 148 quote is the TN to achieve the Surgical Option (which is why it's under the Surgical Option section, not the Surgical Test section).

With the remaining problem that open tests do not have a target number. So now it's not only my "reading too much" in one line on p. 148 but also "my reading too much" into a second one that uses the wrong description for a test I guess?!.

I'm -pretty- sure, based on the overall picture, that the way TG and I describe it is precisely how it was intended.  Otherwise it wouldn't be a Threshold Modifier, it'd be a TN Modifier.

a) I cannot look into the minds of the makers => Speculating about intent is pretty hard.
b) The overall picture to me simply says: Need Errata
Fortune
QUOTE (Cochise)
With the remaining problem that open tests do not have a target number.

Isn't the Target Number for a Perception Test (which is an Open Ended Test) the result of someone else's Stealth Test (another Open Ended Test)?

A case can be made that Open Ended Tests can indeed have a TN. In the case of Positive Options, the TN is variable, depending on the Threshold of each individual option.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 16 2003, 06:12 AM)
Isn't the Target Number for a Perception Test (which is an Open Ended Test) the result of someone else's Stealth Test (another Open Ended Test)?

A perception test is a success test, not an open-ended test (you get more info for multiple successes, etc). The TN for the success test is set by an open ended test smile.gif

My view on the ways to read the rules. Either the Threshold modifiers affect the TN or they don't. There is nothing in the rules to indicate that the TN for the surgery test gets higher as the Threshold increases. Take the following case:

Surgical roll: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 5
Base TN: 2
Positive option 1 (+1 threshold)
Positive option 2 (+1 threshold)
Positive option 3 (+2 threshold)

Okay, there are three views being bandied about. One I share with Sphynx (case 1), one I hold is the most likely reading if you incorporate threshold modifiers in the TN (case 2), and the dynamicly increasing TN (case 3).

Case 1:

Surgery succeeds and the first two options are gained. The surgery roll is against TN 2, and then the high die is compared to each threshold down the options list till it fails.

Case 2:

Surgery fails (TN 6 for the test after threshold mods, no successes). The surgeon was attempting to do too much and messed up the surgery pretty badly.

Case 3:

Surgery succeds and the first option is gained. The surgery roll is against TN 2, and then you count down successes on the chart, adding the threshold modifier to the TN at each step and having successes "fall out" as the TN rises.

While case 3 looks attractive, I can't find a way to read the rules as written that lead me to believe it's how it works. Case 1 is the case I'd like to have, seeing as it appears to be the cleanest of the three, though case 2 seems to be the best fit for the rules as written (if you take that there are no mistakes in them).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012