Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character generation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
James McMurray
This poll is in reaction to another post in the TN systems thread. I'm curious how long it takes people to make a basic character. By "basic" I'm not talking about generating a backstory or penny pinching for every last bit of gear and min-max squeezings. Instead, I'm curious about how long it would take to make a character that filled the role you were looking for.
NightmareX
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Instead, I'm curious about how long it would take to make a character that filled the role you were looking for.

In other words, a minor NPC or major grunt (one step above a lt), not a PC? If that's the case, a lot less than 30 minutes - usually 10 to 15. For example, I whipped up two of my player's current problems (twin 16 year old Japanese girls, both Shinto magicians working for the Yakuza) in about 10 minutes, give or take.
James McMurray
No, what I mean is a PC that isn't min-maxed to squeeze out every last drop. NPCs take about 5 minutes for me to make, if that long because I don't concern myself with point buy and just put out the stats that should be there.

Backstory is left out because it doesn't reflect the usability of the system, but rather the depth and difficulty the player has in making a history for a character.

For the record, I'm one of the 30 minutes or less folks.
ornot
I'm with the couple of hours, but I usually find background to be intrinsically tied in with the stats, so I could be overestimating. I need to justify (at least to myself) why my character has the stats and skills they do. I think that even if I stripped out all of that it'd still take an hour to do all the number crunching (and rechecking all my BP expenditure at least twice). Characters with lots of 'ware probably take longer due to juggling with essence.

NPCs, on the other hand, take very little time as I don't bother with BPs when making them (unless they are to play a pretty big role). Usually I'm forced to come up with NPCs on the fly as, despite generating detailed teams of security guards at the facility the players are meant to be going to, they decide to do something crazy like go to a bar and beat up some gangers. Frankly their explanation that they are trying to generate a distraction for the Star to deal with, so that the Star are less likely to respond to an alarm being raised at the facility doesn't hold much water. /rant
NightmareX
Ok, I see what you mean now, having checked out the last few pages of the TNs thread (and Cain's continuing SW obsession ohplease.gif ).

In that case it still usually takes me about 30 minutes. For my newbie players (four of them), it took about an hour, and we're talking people that can barely handle D&D character creation here!
James McMurray
IMO D&D Character creation is actually more intensive, but only if you include multiple sourcebooks. Going striahg core rules is really fast, but trying to add in the Complete and Races books requires a lot of planning in the chargen stage to be able to get your feat trees and prestige classes lined up.
The Stainless Steel Rat
Null voted - don't play SR4

Mr. McMurray - would you care to create a duplicate poll in General Shadowrun and compare the results?
NightmareX
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Going striahg core rules is really fast, but trying to add in the Complete and Races books requires a lot of planning in the chargen stage to be able to get your feat trees and prestige classes lined up.

That's what I mean, straight PHB only, 3rd level, not worrying about feat trees or prestige class progression. And they still take a couple of hours with assistance. For SR4, eash one was done in about an hour with assistance, including gear.
James McMurray
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat)
Null voted - don't play SR4

Mr. McMurray - would you care to create a duplicate poll in General Shadowrun and compare the results?

Copied here, although there are quite a few differences between the two systems that make a comparison not quite equitable (not the least of which is user familiarity given how long SR3 has been around compared to SR4). But nothing is perfect, right? smile.gif
Brahm
1) This poll has been done before, and not that long ago.
2) Cain is a total moron, and a particularly thick one at that. He'd argue with his last breath that by his reading of Moby Dick that a lump of coal stuck up the ass of water buffalo was of the purest white, and that anyone that argues otherwise is a fool. In my opinion the best thing for you and Synner is to come to that realization and save yourself the fustration and time wasting of repeating the most simplest of things to him over, and over, and over, and over, and over....
3) You have sort of misquoted me in your sig, or at least provided misleading supplementary info. That isn't about just Cain on that topic. It is a general statement about Cain. Try "[Cain] remains a stone in a bucket of water. Taking up space and unable to absorb." No extra explaination required.
James McMurray
It's been done before, but the other version(s?) didn't leave out backstories and minutes point mongering. With those added in almost any system could take weeks to generate a character (especially the backstory part).

Besides, I wanted to know if my group was ahead of or behind the curve. smile.gif

Point taken about the sig. I'll go change it now. And yeah, it's pointless, but I gotta do something to fill the boring times, and he's so easy. smile.gif
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 3 2006, 10:14 AM)
Copied here

Thank you!
Phobos
Can I do a multiple votes ?

Because ... I had to vote 30 minutes or less, and the same time frame still applies for a whole process including a basic background and pretty much complete gear - but I do have some practice ... making up NPCs on the fly, creating one-shots for guest players ... that kind of stuff.

My players on the other hand ... ummm ... Having basic design done can take hours, and a complete character can take a few weeks ...

So I'd basically have to vote
1x 30 mins
2x 1h
2x 2-3h
1x longer.

Just to kill any statistical evidence in this poll before anyone tries to use it for whatever purpose ... go fake your own statistic, but don't ask real people biggrin.gif
James McMurray
Unless something crazy happens there will not be anywhere near a large enough smapling to generate anything resembling a valid statistic from this poll. I'm just curious about a) whether my group is faster or slower than normal at 30 minutes to an hour and b) whether Cain's group is faster at multiple hours. I can get a general idea of that from this poll, if not a perfectly clear picture.

Most people on this board are probably SR4 veterans of a year or so. Those folks will be faster than newbies at generating characters.

The speed you generate one at also depends on your overall rules knowledge, not just the simplicity or lack thereof inherent in the character generation rules. If you've got a great GM / group that can answer most questions on the fly (or you can do it yourself) that will save a lot of time that would otherwise be spent looking up info.

And if your group just has one book that you pass around, that will increase the creation time, because you'll have to go back and find your place again, remember what you were lst doing, etc. This is even more pronounced if you're making a character for rules you're not familiar with, such as a guy that's played a street sam for the past 3 editions suddenly deciding to play a mage. Or conversely, a guy that's played a mage for the past 3 editions having to re-educate himself and knock down the preconceived notions about magic that come from a decade of playing a different system.
Brahm
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 3 2006, 10:35 AM)
It's been done before, but the other version(s?) didn't leave out backstories and minutes point mongering. With those added in almost any system could take weeks to generate a character (especially the backstory part).

I think you also missed the part about not counting the space inbetween. Because I usually take a week to "finish" a character, but it totals maybe a half hour or upwards to a full hour if I change my mind in a major way, of actual working on the stats.

Besides people, especially those in games that have an atmosphere of "be all you can be", tend to keep tweaking till the cows come home. Keep in mind that a finished character is actually a dead character. Or at least a fully retired character, which works out to the samething because he isn't going to 'live' in the game anymore.
James McMurray
True, but the level of tweaking is dependent on the game style being played, not the char gen system. I'm trying to get a feel for how easy people find the char gen system to be.
Brahm
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 3 2006, 11:42 AM)
True, but the level of tweaking is dependent on the game style being played, not the char gen system. I'm trying to get a feel for how easy people find the char gen system to be.

I think the tweaking is important to factor in. Because that is what Cain is not doing. He's just comparing non-tweak SR3 time to lots and lots of tweaking SR4 time. Plus being a fucknut.

Seriously, that's really the only way a person with any sort of brain could come up with the time differences he's talking about. Even if the SR3 looks "tweaked" but is really just copies of old tweaks that were done already once or twice or twenty times or more before.
Abbandon
Due to lack of overall knowledge my characters usually take a day or more to make lol and thats minus the background. I have to read rules, and read gear descriptions and i have no idea what necessary skills and gear my people need.
Synner
Maybe a better introduction would have been to ask people how long it would take them to get a basic character ready for play if the GM asked everyone to draw up new characters for a new adventure/campaign. These could later be tweaked as needed such as adding gear or shifting a rating point here and there.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 3 2006, 09:59 AM)
Going striahg core rules is really fast, but trying to add in the Complete and Races books requires a lot of planning in the chargen stage to be able to get your feat trees and prestige classes lined up.

That's what I mean, straight PHB only, 3rd level, not worrying about feat trees or prestige class progression. And they still take a couple of hours with assistance. For SR4, eash one was done in about an hour with assistance, including gear.

How...? Pick a class, roll for stats and asign them, max out your major skills, and choose a weapon and armor. It should take 2 minutes to make DnD characters core only. The only exception to this that I can see are wizards and sorcerers. I can see a new player taking awhile to choose a class, but their abilities are all so self explanitory (clerics heal, fighters fight, rangers shoot, etc).
James McMurray
But what about the rangers that don't shoot? smile.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Jul 3 2006, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 3 2006, 09:59 AM)

How...? Pick a class, roll for stats and asign them, max out your major skills, and choose a weapon and armor. It should take 2 minutes to make DnD characters core only. The only exception to this that I can see are wizards and sorcerers. I can see a new player taking awhile to choose a class, but their abilities are all so self explanitory (clerics heal, fighters fight, rangers shoot, etc).

Those are generalized examples and not even very good ones at that. However, once I've actually decided upon a class, it takes me literally minutes to make a character. I know the rules front and back though.

As for SR4 once again, coming up with a character idea is the most time consuming part (tons of ideas but only so many I actually want to try and attempt).
NightmareX
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
How...?

That's what I keep wondering when they agonize over where every skill point goes and each and (mainly) every feat selection. dead.gif I think it largely has to do with the fact that you only get a couple of feats and they want to be really, really sure they get the "best" ones. And even then they're not happy with their characters.

In SR4, they seem a lot happier after chargen is done, something I chalk up to being able to actually make the character you want (within reason) in SR as opposed to being hamstrung by the limited choices of race-class-level-feat combos in D&D.
ornot
Last DnD game I played we took some time to make characters, but I attribute that to the number of supplements we were using. There can be some significant variation in character type in DnD, but it's mostly down to personality and even that is restricted by alignment. I blame paladins mostly.
emo samurai
It doesn't take me much time at all to create a character, but then again, in my games, there aren't any skill caps or 25 BP for maxing out stats, so it's like "okay, 6's in everything. We're done."
Brahm
QUOTE (emo samurai)
It doesn't take me much time at all to create a character, but then again, in my games, there aren't any skill caps or 25 BP for maxing out stats, so it's like "okay, 6's in everything. We're done."

Only 6's? The poor PCs must get eaten alive when they go down to the Crime Mall for some hot gooey Cinnabombs and a Thunderbird only to be jumped by Red Dragon Nijitsu Samurai Zombies. :/

wink.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (ornot)
I blame paladins mostly.

So do I cyber.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
How...?

That's what I keep wondering when they agonize over where every skill point goes and each and (mainly) every feat selection. dead.gif I think it largely has to do with the fact that you only get a couple of feats and they want to be really, really sure they get the "best" ones. And even then they're not happy with their characters.

That's getting some super-tweak on for only 3rd level characters.

In SR4, they seem a lot happier after chargen is done, something I chalk up to being able to actually make the character you want (within reason) in SR as opposed to being hamstrung by the limited choices of race-class-level-feat combos in D&D.

It might be that they are looking for a game with a bit stronger starting characters. SR4 characters are comparatively stronger. Roughly speaking, given the obvious difficulties is comparing, to about a 5th level character. Maybe a bit on the vulnerable to death side for 5th, but that never really changes in SR. So the SR4 character actually can have some real degree of specialization, and a bit of a badass edge that you typically don't get from a 3rd level character.

3e is actually a LOT better than AD&D about race. Pretty comparable to SR4, if not slightly more flexible. When you get up to around 5th or 6th level it really opens up on race by having a fairly good system in place for monster PCs (but those PCs pretty much always end up the weakling of the party by the time they get in the mid-teen levels) Class and Feats are a bit less so, especially if you just stick to the core and don't open it up to full breath of the few thousand Feats out there.

The relatively limited Skills in D&D that PCs get, and the very undeveloped knowledge skills definately make it harder to give that nice finishing polish depth to a character that SR Knowledge skills give.
James McMurray
For those keeping score the numbers between editions are pretty even, except that the 30 minutes and 1 hour crowds are reversed, with the longer group being larger for SR4. Unfortunately there's no real way to tell if that's due to a rules difference or mastery levels being different. Maybe I'll repost the poll in 4 years. smile.gif
irdeggman
It took several days. This was compounded by the fact that I hadn't played Shadowrun before.

I put the level of complexity at roughly that of Mutants and Masterminds 2nd edition.

It can take a long, long time to create a Shadowrun character - especially if you are trying to put a lot of detail in.

I have found the character creation process in D&D much simplier - the only thing complicating the task is the number of supplements being looked through. The creation process from a mechanic standpoint for D&D is really pretty simple.

Shadowrun has a lot more layers. Converting BP to Nuyen and purchasing equipment with it. Cyper/bio ware and keeping track of essence.

The difference in cost between Active and Knowledge skills.

Add to that the fact that the book is really laid out poorly. There is far too much cross referencing and page turning involved. It would have been much easier and user friendly if the book was laid out in the order things were done and not have several different chapters with side discussions and examples separating it.

Oh well, it can't be perfect. It is still a good game - so far.
Llewelyn
I posted 30 Minutes here and a couple of hours there as I have only ever made three Shadowrun characters. The SR4 took a lot less time then SR1 or SR3, some of that was due to the prioritizing. I never played in the games that used BP prior to SR4, so if those were similar to SR4 I am sure they would have gone much faster. It is easier imo to trade a few BPs around when you realize things didn't add up the way you wanted then to try and re-prioritize.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012