Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Killing stuff from your couch
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hyzmarca
http://www.live-shot.com/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5050701270.html

I imagine this is a popular passtime in 2070.
JesterX
That's the most stupidest and horrible thing I've ever saw... Where is the humanity going?!
Rock
Killing stuff from my couch? That's why I have a PS2 and a copy of Vice City, baby!
Catsnightmare
Thanks be the Texas Parks and Wildlife had the sense to ban this stupidity.
Kagetenshi
What's the problem with it? Real killing can be, and will increasingly be, an anonymous activity. Safe and anonymous human-killing is probably only a few decades away at most.

~J
hyzmarca
I find it interesting that people see a major ethical quagmire in this yet they do not see any ethical problem with killing things for fun. I'm sorry folks, but I don't see how killing the animal in person makes it any less dead.

There's also a rather good chance that the ban violates the American's with Disabilities act.

Most people can't run down a deer and rip its throat out with their bare teeth. We allow these people to assist themselves with technological tools. Why not do the same for people who can't walk or hold a gun?
emo samurai
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I find it interesting that people see a major ethical quagmire in this yet they do not see any ethical problem with killing things for fun. I'm sorry folks, but I don't see how killing the animal in person makes it any less dead.

There's also a rather good chance that the ban violates the American's with Disabilities act.

Most people can't run down a deer and rip its throat out with their bare teeth. We allow these people to assist themselves with technological tools. Why not do the same for people who can't walk or hold a gun?

Exactly.
JesterX
Personnaly, I'm against hunting as a sport...
Platinum
blah ...... you bleeding heart vegetarians. Hunting is a sport because you have to outsmart your prey which have keener senses and faster mobility than you do.

I am against killing an animal and just leaving it there.... if you kill it you eat it .... but it is still a sport.
emo samurai
What if the wolves eat it?
Austere Emancipator
Or the maggots?
Platinum
Then it is still a waste. Seen it too many times where people shoot the deer, and if they do not kill it outright they just let it run off and die. Nature will take over, for sure, but any hunter that just leaves it there or lets it runs off just disserves a good beating.

Beating a wasteful hunter could be a new sport alltogether.... you guys might be on to something.
hyzmarca
In this case there is no waste. A Spotter retrieves the animal and it is properly butchered. The meat, if not used by the hunter, is donated to charity.

Doubtlessly, this technology can be applied against the most dangerous game. Perhaps it could be improved by attaching the gun mount to a wheeled vehicle of some sort and then letting it loose in a highschool. biggrin.gif
Platinum
Wasn't there a version where you could use a paintball gun to hunt women in bikinis?
Lindt
That was a big fake. The money was in the video sales.

I find it disturbing....
Nidhogg
Internet hunting is all well and good, until you get hundreds of operations set up throughout North America and Europe, each with dozens of rifles. Suddenly, it becomes a game for bored rich kids, instead of a hobby for paralyzed hunting fanatics.
Kremlin KOA
High School? no

Streets of poor neighbourhoods? YESSSSS
Jrayjoker
OK, some of you folks are just nucking futs. And while I do not personally hunt I am not opposed to it on principle.

I find wasteful hunting abhorrent, but wasteful ANYTHING does not do anyone any favors in the long run. The market to those with disabilities, especially those who once could hunt IRL, is a good one, and I support it as long as there is sufficient oversight and control.

The potential for abuse frightens me more than I can accurately express without my 7th cup of coffee. And those who joke about using this technology on people, well, to quote Captain Hook, "Bad form old Pan, bad form."
Kagetenshi
Who's joking?

~J
JesterX
QUOTE (Platinum)
blah ...... you bleeding heart vegetarians. Hunting is a sport because you have to outsmart your prey which have keener senses and faster mobility than you do.

I am against killing an animal and just leaving it there.... if you kill it you eat it .... but it is still a sport.

You don't have to outsmart anything with a firearm that can shoot straight up to 500 ft.

Unless you're going hunting with only your teeths and fists, I don't see how can someone call this a sport.
Jrayjoker
And golf is?

I can't shoot for SHIT, it would be a challenge.
nezumi
My only real concern is that this makes it too easy. Hunting is currently limited mostly by the fact that you actually have to get off your butt and go sit outside for most of the day. If fat, lazy kids can go hunting while popping cheetos in their mouth, it'll make for serious competition for real hunters, and they really won't appreciate what they're doing. After all, if you can't actually see the animal die, the fact that you just killed a living, breathing thing doesn't have nearly as much of an impact. I don't know that a person should go hunting if he isn't going to at least be truly aware of that.

On the flip side, I assume these iwll also be limited by some sort of hunting license, and it will likely cut down on hunting accidents as the kid can't shoot himself. Hopefully these won't be put where other people are, or these people will somehow be marked to avoid accidents (I truly can just imagine there's a large portion of the population who, while hunting over the internet, would love to "accidentally" shoot a person who walked into the field of fire.)
James McMurray
True sport would be leaping from a tree onto the beat with a knife in your teeth and fire in your heart. Looking through a scope from 100 yards away is just being lazy.

Besides, if it's challenging for you to outsmart a deer, maybe you've got bigger issues than deciding what sport you like? smile.gif
Platinum
Have you people who think hunting is easy tried it?

Most of the time you are limited to hunting bucks since does tags are only available in a lottery. Not only that if you think you can just walk out into the woods and see a train of deer walking by and peck them off with perfect shots you have another thing coming.

It requires set up, strategy. Finding a deer trail, staying far enough from it that you can shoot but not be detected. A deer can smell your body 100m away, and if they get a wiff of you, then you will not even see them. Deer also are moving. Sometimes you will catch them grazing, but move of the time they are walking, and if you scare them, they are running. When you shoot the animal you still have to track it down, which is another skill. It's not like a video game where your rockets hit the animal and spit out deer burgers. Then you also have to drag the carcass back.
James McMurray
I went hunting once when I was a kid. There was no strategy involved that required actual thought or effort on our part. We climbed up in the blind someone else had made and waited. The only hard part was being quiet with the ADD singing it's song through my veins. smile.gif
emo samurai
Dude, I should pick up hunting.
Austere Emancipator
Obviously there's lots of different types of hunting. There's hunting domesticated quailtards that have been bred to be shot, and there's tracking boar in the wilds of Eastern Europe. Some of it is only a challenge if you can't tell the difference between a lawyer and a bird, while some of it takes serious skill to ever catch a whiff of your prey, let alone bagging it.
Moon-Hawk
I think these internet hunters should be drug out into the street and shot.....by remote control!

Anyway, I was never much into hunting, but it's a classic and natural way to obtain food. If you're hunting and you use the meat, that's fine. If you use the meat and you enjoy hunting, that's fine too. If you're using the meat, but are really enjoying the killing, then you're a sick individual, but at least you're not wasting the animal. *shrug*

To me, this internet hunting crap is about as sportsmanlike as hunting deer with a rocket launcher.
James McMurray
It's no worse then sitting up in a tree waiting for a deer to walk by. The animal still has little to no chance of avoiding getting shot, and no chance of taking you with him. Internet hunting just opens it up to people that would otherwise have to be lifted into a blind or are too lazy to get off their butts.

I do agree with whoever said that killing should be an up close and personal thing. Doing it on a screen devalues it. But I'm one of those hypocrits that likes to eat burgers as long as I don't have to watch the cow get hit on the head with a mallet. smile.gif
JesterX
I fully agree with both two last posts... They said what was in my mind. Please stop probing my mind!
James McMurray
Ok, but if we stop probing your mind we have to start probing elsewhere. The probers unionized and we'll catch hell if we shut down operations completely.
Shrike30
I have a hard time understanding why some people who eat meat object to hunting.

Obviously, if you don't eat meat, the previous statement doesn't apply to you. If, however, you do eat meat but have an objection to hunting, could you please explain it to me?
James McMurray
While it may appear that way from this thread, I have no objection to hunting. It's not something I want to do, but meat has to die to be eaten (unles you're a freak). My problem is with people that think it's sporting or fair to "outsmart" deer.

A real sport IMO would involve arming yourself similar to the animal (sharpened boots and a large sword if you're hunting bucks). Then go out into the wild and track and kill your prey. I'd probably watch that at least once on Pay-per-view. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shrike30)
If, however, you do eat meat but have an objection to hunting, could you please explain it to me?

I'd love to, but first I'm going to need you to clarify what about it you don't understand. Where do you see these two things to be similar?

~J
James McMurray
I believe the question stems from most people who dislike hunting dislike it because it involves killing animals. Why do you dislike it?
JesterX
QUOTE (James McMurray)
While it may appear that way from this thread, I have no objection to hunting. It's not something I want to do, but meat has to die to be eaten (unles you're a freak). My problem is with people that think it's sporting or fair to "outsmart" deer.

A real sport IMO would involve arming yourself similar to the animal (sharpened boots and a large sword if you're hunting bucks). Then go out into the wild and track and kill your prey. I'd probably watch that at least once on Pay-per-view. smile.gif

Especially if they are hunting bears... ^_^
Shrike30
*shrug* Hunting is hunting. Whether or not it's "fair" or "sporting" is up to the individual to decide, and would be highly dependent on the type of hunting we're talking about.

I do feel, however, that it's closer to being "fair" or "sporting" than getting meat from a slaughterhouse.
Moon-Hawk
I dislike people who hunt for the joy of killing.
People who enjoy hunting (not killing) are fine with me, provided they use what they kill and hunt responsibly.
I eat meat. I take no pleasure in the knowledge that my food was once an animal and died. Neither do I feel any particular remorse.
JesterX
Here is my opinion on the subject:

There is nothing wrong with killing animals, especially for defense purpose or to eat (the same goes for animals killing other animals or even humans to defend themselves and to eat... nothing is wrong about a captive bear that kills his captor...).

However, it's REALLY wrong to gain some "pleasure" to kill something.

That's why I'm objected to hunting.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I do feel, however, that it's closer to being "fair" or "sporting" than getting meat from a slaughterhouse.

True, but in many situations not much closer.
JesterX
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I dislike people who hunt for the joy of killing.
People who enjoy hunting (not killing) are fine with me, provided they use what they kill and hunt responsibly.
I eat meat. I take no pleasure in the knowledge that my food was once an animal and died. Neither do I feel any particular remorse.

Again the mind probing... Ahhh... Get out of my head! Seriously, I was typing my reply at the same time ... look at how they relate... ^_^
Shrike30
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'd love to, but first I'm going to need you to clarify what about it you don't understand. Where do you see these two things to be similar?

I'm referring specifically to farmed/supermarket meat in this context.

When you hunt something, an animal dies for whatever reason... its meat, its hide, its head. When you get meat from the supermarket, an animal died for it's meat. Both activities involve getting something from an animal that you are at some level responsible for the death of (you either put a bullet in it, or created the market demand for its death).
nezumi
Why is it wrong to get pleasure from killing something? I mean, suppose you're going to kill it anyway. What's wrog with taking pride in your work? What about people who take pleasure from digging up weeds or have found themselves rising to the challenge of spraying out wasps?

Generally "taking pleasure" from something is fairly involuntary (someone can take pleasure from rape, but that doesn't mean he or she isn't a victim of a terrible crime, for instance). That's like saying you dont' think people should get angry about something. It's an emotion. Saying someone shouldn't engage in an action I can understand, but that they shouldn't have an emotion naturally arise when engaging in that action?
James McMurray
QUOTE (nezumi)
What about people who take pleasure from digging up weeds or have found themselves rising to the challenge of spraying out wasps?

Evil bastards!
Shrike30
Can someone enjoy successfully hunting a challenging animal, and succeeding (killing the animal in the progress, obviously), without stepping across the line into the "enjoying killing things" that you object to? Or does your definition extend beyond the generally-accepted-as-sicko "I like to kill things, heh heh heh" range?

EDIT: clarified slightly
Moon-Hawk
There's a difference between taking pride in your work and enjoying killing it. Taking pride in how skillfully you staked and killed something is fine. It's if the primary thing that makes you glad is that a living thing is now dead, that's a little weird.
Same with digging weeds. Are you happy that your garden is well tended and that your plants will grow? Are you proud of the hard work you did? Or are you gleefully giggling that the weeds are now dead dead dead.
Same with wasps.
I'm not saying it makes you into some kind of moral abomination, just maybe that you need to, y'know, talk to someone. Work through some issues, maybe.
Although, the argument might break down with weeds and wasps, depending on your hierarchy of living things.
Hmmm, I've been happy about killing wasps, but that was an act of vengeance, so is maybe slightly different.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shrike30)
When you hunt something, an animal dies for whatever reason... its meat, its hide, its head. When you get meat from the supermarket, an animal died for it's meat. Both activities involve getting something from an animal that you are at some level responsible for the death of (you either put a bullet in it, or created the market demand for its death).

A few things are different. First off, though animals are in some places bred to be hunted, in general with animals raised for slaughter the market demand for its birth was created as well. This is, for hunting, generally not the case.

Secondly, whole "taking-pleasure-in-killing" aspect being debated.

Thirdly, I view the use of animals for meat to be a stopgap measure until such time as we can just grow the meat without an associated animal, as it were. Maybe someday people will switch over to VR hunting as well, but it doesn't feel that way to me—rightly or wrongly, at this point I believe the killing part to be intrinsic to what hunting is, while not being intrinsic to meat-eating.

Fourthly and unconnected to the rest, eating meat is something I enjoy while hunting is not. Follow my standards, you other-persons you wink.gif

I'm not a fan of hunting, but I don't have a big problem with it when pursued appropriately. I'm just driven towards opposition by my annoyance at two things, those being the "sporting" argument covered above and people who believe the second amendment is at all remotely relevant to hunting.

~J
James McMurray
That vatgrown meat is already available if you don't mind eating rat. It shouldn't be long at all before chicken, pork, and beef are possible. I'm curious about how, or if, that technology will change the vegetarians' lifestyles. If you're vegetarian because you don't want things to be killed, vat grown meat is no different than soy.
Kagetenshi
I'm just wondering when we'll see chief and berk on menus.

~J
Shrike30
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
A few things are different. First off, though animals are in some places bred to be hunted, in general with animals raised for slaughter the market demand for its birth was created as well. This is, for hunting, generally not the case.

See, I don't make the disconnect with things that were purpose-bred to be eaten. An animal dies either way... arguably (given the conditions a number of animals live in within the American meat industry, at least) it's more humane to hunt than to raise for slaughter.

As for the purpose of the Second Amendment, I agree... it wasn't about hunting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012