Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atmosphere
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
emo samurai
Is it with random details in the background? The way people talk and act?
James McMurray
I say "picture what emo's game would look like at this point. Now reverse it." wink.gif

Background details when I've got time. Usually it's mannerisms and voices for the NPCs.
ronin3338
Short description, depending on where and how much detail I feel it needs.
"The Stuffer Shack you walked into has a sticky floor"
but for more important locations:
"The meeting room is small, with limited seating. It smells vaguely of ozone and Fresh-All, but you can detect a bit of old cigarette smoke too. The furniture is about 2 year's out of style but well-kept, and the carpet is worn under the chairs and table."
Don't rely totally on importance to determine howmuch "flavor" you add, otherwise your player's will clue in to something's significance by how much detail you give.
Platinum
All details details details. The lingo people use isimportant, but you have to describe the polluted air, the decaying ferrocrete, and omnipresent haze that hangs over the city in order to really get the feel of it. You need to mention the cramped coffin motels, ultrabright neon LED's contrasting the long dark alleys, brightly coloured fibre mohawks, nano tattoos and chrome studs in people's cranium. That is something else that left with sr4 ... the wide acceptance of visible cyberware. Mirrored shades, chromed eyes, and datajacks have all went the way of the dodo, for a pair bulky goggles and ugly welding gloves.
Kagetenshi
In spherical containers.

~J
Dragonscript
I like to use diffrent voices for npcs. I also try to go into detail a bit, but only relevent details.

"The rain pounded hard onto the cars and fogged windows as you stroll into the stuffer sack. The floor is a bit wet from the still drenched customers walking around the store. A few of the customers quickly dart thier eyes from you as you look around the place and quickly grab a shopping basket."

Each detail adds flavor to the scene but also has a purpose. Can you guess each one?
Kyoto Kid
...Basically I use a combination of things including:

Descriptions for setting specific "scenes"

Example "You enter the bar through a trap door in the pavement (sidewalk) and descend a set of metal stairs. Once at the bottom, it takes a moment for your eyes to adjust since most of the light is provided by numerous candles in all sorts of stands & holders. The bar is a cozy place, triangular in shape similar to the building that sits above it. From the speakers the sounds of old 20th century bistro jazz can be heard and there is a slight haze of smoke. The bartender, a slender woman in a long dark evening dress, looks in your direction & smiles. A number of the booths and tables are occupied however the place isn't crowded. You notice the distinct aroma of fine cigars in the air, something not usually common in most bars you've been to. You can't help but feel like you have just stepped back into one of those old monochrome detective thriller flatvids of 120 years ago. You look down to see if your clothing is still in colour."

(This is the opening to a scene in a bar called the Untersatz from "Rhapsody in Shadow")

a short "story telling" segment to lay the background for major segments.

Background music where appropriate.

Printed datafaxes & transcripts of Trivid news stories for breaking items and general background

Illustrations of locations & major NPC personalities.

Maps, both of specific sites and areas. For example in the last run of Rhapsody I used Michelin maps of the Balkans, Google Maps of various areas in and around London, as well as drawn maps of buildings & places where action takes place.

Character voices and regional accents (as best as they can be performed)
nezumi
Like platinum said. Remember to apply to all the senses. In fact, the three non-primary senses oftentimes leave more in depth impressions. Sticky floors, the stench of cheap tobacco, the burn of synthahol as it coats your throat like viscous oil, the feel of synthleather and dirty metahuman flesh as you push through the crowd to your corner stall. Pictures always help too.
Brahm
QUOTE (Platinum @ Jul 5 2006, 03:37 PM)
That is something else that left with sr4 ... the wide acceptance of visible cyberware. Mirrored shades, chromed eyes, and datajacks have all went the way of the dodo...

Umm, what would you base that on?

They aren't the only thing, 'goggles' of the bulky and non-bulky variety are there, as are AR gloves. But just flipping through the sample characters, for example, it's 2 'googles' (one the uber bulky type, the other not actually worn over the face in the picture are much less so) and 2 sets of glasses (one set appearing to be the mirrored armless, faceclinging variety, the other more like a Killer Loop or Oakly style).

Mirrored protective eye covers, for cyber and non-cyber eyes, are still on the equipment list at zero Essense cost.

Trode nets work better now, being able to work in place of a DJ. But DJ are only 500 nuyen.gif , cheaper than ever before. For durability and ease of use, unless you are extremely worried about the Essense loss of 0.1 (easy to lower and still remain by cyberware grades and still remain relatively cheap), they are still a good option.

P.S. I'm not sure how acceptable visible cyberware ever was. Seemed to vary a lot from social situation to social situation. Although cyberware is more afordable now, so that makes the less visable cyberware more afordable too.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Platinum)
That is something else that left with sr4 ... the wide acceptance of visible cyberware.

Cybertechnology's whole section on the social penalties for visible cyberwear and the degree to which it makes people uncomfortable is what put a big cyberpsychotic spur blade into the back of visible cyberwear being socially acceptable. SR4 has little to do with that.
Wounded Ronin
Well, the issue was already well covered by the previous posters on this thread, so I won't just repeat what was already said. Everything said so far is good.

I'll just add something in addition. You could consider playing 80s music to drive home the 80s feel. Even if you don't necessarily have music to play for the others (as in a IRC game) at the very least you can tell people what the theme music is to give them an idea of what you have in mind.

I'd recommend associating a particular song with a recurring location. So, for example, if there's a particular club or bar the PCs always go to when they meet a Johnson, you might associate a Pat Benetar song like "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" with that location and play it whenever the PCs are there. You can see this principle illustrated when you play Deus Ex and notice how the same music always plays in the UNATCO headquarters and also every time you go back to New York City. I think it's very effective.
Witness
Yeah incidental details are good, and a little can go a long way if you strike it lucky. If you tell your players they're in a Stuffer Shack, I think they can be relied upon to fill in many of the obvious details themselves, so IMO it's better to spend time on some of the less obvious details.

I had a Sammy go in to a restaurant on her own to grab some bites, but unfortunately there was a small childrens party going on close to where the waitress sat her, and the kids kept pointing and staring at her obvious cyberarm. I thought that worked out quite well as a not-too-obvious scene-setting detail.

Music, especially for bar locations, is one of my favourite things. I have tunes that I should have scrubbed off my hard drive for being so awful, but which I kept hold of just in case.

Example: on arriving in a new city, one of my PCs was looking for a bar to hang out in for the few hours before the meet. He'd done a bit of homework but got a bit confused. After he'd bought a drink and sat down he realised his mistake, as a short bespectacled and terminally-sad-looking middle-aged sarariman took the mike and began to sing his broken heart out at the top of his lungs. The japanese-businessman-sings-tragic-love-song-karaoke novelty mp3 that I acquired from somewhere years ago finally found its purpose in life. Which was to be one of the most painful (but painfully funny) things I ever inflicted on my players. wink.gif
Drraagh
Being descriptive with places is always a good idea, but sometimes you can't always come up with something on the fly or perhaps you want something a little different for you to build off of.

Well, there was a list that The Shadowrun Supplemental had released a long time ago now; The Shadowrun Random Atmosphere Generator. You can get it here in a zip format from their site, though there are a number of other places to get it, as well as the whole collection of the TSSes. Maybe they can give you some ideas on where to go.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (Platinum @ Jul 5 2006, 01:37 PM)
That is something else that left with sr4 ... the wide acceptance of visible cyberware.

Cybertechnology's whole section on the social penalties for visible cyberwear and the degree to which it makes people uncomfortable is what put a big cyberpsychotic spur blade into the back of visible cyberwear being socially acceptable. SR4 has little to do with that.

Given that Cybertechnology was a splatbook and SR4 hasn't seen it's splatbooks yet, I doubt that it's gone, it just hasn't arrived yet.
Platinum
Yes, I know that there are social modifiers for cyberware, but in reality, most wage slaves had at least a datajack. Which has now been replaced, and most people will now have a wireless commlink that will not be visible. The people with cybernetic limbs will always have people looking at them wondering what happened, just like now-a-days when someone sees a prosthetic limb.... the option in the future is that it can be hidden better.
Cynic project
Live ammo drills.
Tiralee
Atmosphere, it's the details, always with the details.

You give them the basic outline, throw in a couple of favourites like,

"The floor of the bar is sticky with spilled alchohol and other less drinkable fluids. The longer you stay in one spot, the more likely you're gonna lose a shoe, so you keep on moving towards the back, where the familiar bulk of Kronk encourages the barflies to settle somewhere else."

"The multistory car park is cold and gritty. Old oil and unburnt fuel coat your teeth and tongue everytime you open your mouth, so you keep it shut and breathe through your nose as best you can."

"The lab clinic is a warzone - the familiar smell of EXEX rounds, naked fear and fireball aftermath sticks to you as you wade through the carnage looking for loot to fence."

Etc.

-Tir
FanGirl
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
you might associate a Pat Benetar song like "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" with that location and play it whenever the PCs are there.

Emo, please believe me when I say that I will leave the group forever if you play Pat Benetar even once. Forever. nyahnyah.gif

Anyway, you can borrow my laptop for playing music if you like.
Brahm
QUOTE (Platinum @ Jul 5 2006, 08:53 PM)
Yes, I know that there are social modifiers for cyberware, but in reality, most wage slaves had at least a datajack. Which has now been replaced, and most people will now have a wireless commlink that will not be visible.

Have you even ever cracked the SR4 BBB open? Or did you and then you read it in roughly the same manner as you read my first response to your nonsense?

Datajacks aren't gone. Wireless commlinks, unless perhaps they are implanted themselves (and even then I think they'd need the equivalent of a DJ internally), still need either a Datajack or Trodes. A datajack doesn't cost much more, and is frankly is going to be more convient than trodes. Ironically, if anything, trodes are more obvious too.

P.S. There were people with jacks in the temple in SR3, but they had hidden ones too. In arms, with covers, under the rear hairline, etc. Wireless, and skinlinks, do now give other options to help with this. But if the people that were going to buy, or have company issued, the clumsy goofy looking crud before it is entirely reasonable to assume they'll get the clumsy goofy looking crud again. It sucks to be a low-level wage slave in a dysopian tech world. nyahnyah.gif Of course one person's visual take on it might vary from the next. As such having visible datajacks being relatively rare isn't unreasonable either. However datajacks not be gone, and arguably still have important uses. For example I wouldn't send a pilot, especially a military one, up in the air without one.
Brahm
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Jul 5 2006, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jul 5 2006, 06:33 PM)
you might associate a Pat Benetar song like "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" with that location and play it whenever the PCs are there.

Emo, please believe me when I say that I will leave the group forever if you play Pat Benetar even once. Forever. nyahnyah.gif

Ah, you are more A Flock of Seagulls fan then.

And I ran, I ran so far away.
I just ran, I ran all night and day.
I couldn't get away.
mfb
you will pay for your horrible crimes.
Platinum
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jul 6 2006, 01:24 AM)
QUOTE (Platinum @ Jul 5 2006, 08:53 PM)
Yes, I know that there are social modifiers for cyberware, but in reality, most wage slaves had at least a datajack. Which has now been replaced, and most people will now have a wireless commlink that will not be visible.

Have you even ever cracked the SR4 BBB open? Or did you and then you read it in roughly the same manner as you read my first response to your nonsense?

Datajacks aren't gone. Wireless commlinks, unless perhaps they are implanted themselves (and even then I think they'd need the equivalent of a DJ internally), still need either a Datajack or Trodes. A datajack doesn't cost much more, and is frankly is going to be more convient than trodes. Ironically, if anything, trodes are more obvious too.

P.S. There were people with jacks in the temple in SR3, but they had hidden ones too. In arms, with covers, under the rear hairline, etc. Wireless, and skinlinks, do now give other options to help with this. But if the people that were going to buy, or have company issued, the clumsy goofy looking crud before it is entirely reasonable to assume they'll get the clumsy goofy looking crud again. It sucks to be a low-level wage slave in a dysopian tech world. nyahnyah.gif Of course one person's visual take on it might vary from the next. As such having visible datajacks being relatively rare isn't unreasonable either. However datajacks not be gone, and arguably still have important uses. For example I wouldn't send a pilot, especially a military one, up in the air without one.

I have not read the BBB4 cover to cover no.... I have read as much as I could stand.

You might have read my post, but you just are not getting what I am saying. As usual.

I know that Datajacks are around in 2070, but they are mostly deprecated by wireless and essence free technology. The whole atmosphere of sr4 is totally different. The neon and chrome feel has been replaced by a more grungy feel. Cyberware is not as visible and hard edged as it was in sr2/3.

Just look at the characters that people are creating. They are not the same as they used to be.
Brahm
Bottomline is:
- Datajacks are NOT gone. My characters have them, at least so far any of the ones with any cyberware at all (mages and adepts still tend to have few if any implants). Hell, my Technomancer has one.
- Mirrored eyeballs and obvious eye alteration are NOT gone. Check out the cover art of the first SR4 product out.
- You are, apparently due to self-imposed ignorance, clueless.
James McMurray
You do not need a datajack or trodes to use a commlink. You can accress AR fine as long as you have some way of displaying it in your field of view. If you want to go deeper than that into cold or hot sim you'll need a jack or trodes.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Platinum)
Just look at the characters that people are creating. They are not the same as they used to be.

Really? I still see the same old stuff being posted here, except that people are making more technomancers than they made otaku, but that might just be because of the simplified matrix rules and not a shift in the fabric of the SR social structure.
Brahm
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 6 2006, 09:20 AM)
You do not need a datajack or trodes to use a commlink. You can accress AR fine as long as you have some way of displaying it in your field of view. If you want to go deeper than that into cold or hot sim you'll need a jack or trodes.

If you only want to, generally speaking, dabble. But that don't get Daddy his BTL pr0n, does it? nyahnyah.gif
James McMurray
You can perform all of the exact same functions with a commlink in or out of sim mode, sim mode just makes you faster. You can call it dabbling if you'd like, but it doesn't fit the definition of the word.
Brahm
Anything short of better than life pr0n is dabbling. grinbig.gif

P.S. A little bit bitter, are you? rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
James McMurray
Why would you think I'm bitter? Perhaps you're projecting? All I did was point out that your statement about requiring a piece of tech was wrong. If I were bitter I'd have whined about it, tossed insults, and generally acted more like you. wink.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 6 2006, 09:33 AM)
Why would you think I'm bitter?

Your feeble, misplaced attempt to mimic my post where I point out you seem to have a difficult time with reading comprehension.
All I did was point out that your statement about requiring a piece of tech was wrong.

Well then lets look a bit closer look at that, shall we?
You can perform all of the exact same functions with a commlink in or out of sim mode, sim mode just makes you faster.

Oh, so it's sort of like going turtle in the old Matrix? That didn't require a DJ. lick.gif
James McMurray
I didn't mimic it because I never bothered following your link. I assumed it was your typical inane mumblings and opted not to waste my time. If you look around you'll see I've been pointing out definitions to people long before you made that post. I even got called a definition Nazi once. If anything it's you flattering me through imitation, not me demonstrating bitterness. biggrin.gif

AR and turtling are similar, but not the same. AR does not involve any penalties for the user, turtling did. AR is now the socially accepted means of traversing the net via commlink. Turtling was just being old.

Obviously your ideas and mine differ about what "dabbling" entails. You are of course welcome to your opinion, but the fact remains that you don't need a datajack or trodes to use a commlink, which is what you originally said. You do need it to use it to it's maximum potential, something I think we can both agree on.
Brahm
You are just wasting time and bandwidth splitting subjective hairs over a word. Instead you could be doing something like reading the SR4 BBB. Afterall that's where Platinum ran into difficulties.
QUOTE (page 209)
Th e easiest and most common way to get your AR fi x,
though, is through simsense. You need a sim module for your
commlink to interpret the signals and feed you the data via a
cyberware simrig, worn simrig, trode net, or datajack.

Oh. My.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Brahm)
Wireless commlinks, unless perhaps they are implanted themselves (and even then I think they'd need the equivalent of a DJ internally), still need either a Datajack or Trodes.

Here is your original post, where you state that a commlink needs a datajack or trodes. Poke around the rulebook a bit and you'll find all sorts of references to accessing the matrix through a commlink without using a datalink or trodes.

Yes, they're the easiest. Yes, they're the most efficient. I've already agreed with you on that. What's your point? Are you still trying to argue that they're necessary, or are you trying to convince me of something I've already agreed to?
Platinum
I didn't run into difficulties by any means. You are just flapping your gums again.

Fine they are not gone, but they are redundant and no longer useful. You can use dni or wireless now so what's the point? Character quirks... or rp value sure. Just because your character has one doesn't mean anything. If your character gets a mr stud implant that makes them common place?

You can get your btl fix from trodes, or through your commlink.

Brahm
Well that is the problem then. The actual context being Platinum mistakenly thinking that they aren't common, and framing it in the sense of non-turtle type users. Call it dabbling, call it coming up short, call it twiddling around the edges. Call it tutti-fruiti with a cherry on top if you like. Same deal.

So my point is that that factoid, while technically correct, is primarily irrelavent to the discussion given the context.

Of course putting the basketball dwarf with the AR glove on the front cover certainly didn't help with the confusion. Such are the problems with trying to condense an entire system down to one picture in a more literal way. Just another reason to dislike that cover. :/

P.S.

I didn't mimic it because I never bothered following your link.

So you just happened to use the same website, and the same type of URL link. Mere hours after I did. Ya, that's the ticket! Busted! Again!
Brahm
QUOTE (Platinum @ Jul 6 2006, 10:38 AM)
Fine they are not gone, but they are redundant and no longer useful.

Also incorrect. Already been addressed in previous posts. They have uses, and they aren't actually redundant. There just are more options now, although DJs remain the most overall rugged and free of environmental interference. Such as jammers, or physically tumbling, etc.
FanGirl
Here's something good you can use to add atmosphere:

"As you're talking to Mr. Johnson, some people in the next booth start arguing loudly. You can't understand everything they're saying because you're trying to focus on more important things, but it seems to be something about datajacks. They're so loud that you almost have to shout to make yourself heard. Johnson begins tapping his fingers on the table while glaring darkly at the arguers. "I'm sorry," he mutters. "It's just...why can't those drekheads just shut up?"
Brahm
@FanGirl rotfl.gif love.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (Brahm)
So you just happened to use the same website, and the same type of URL link. Mere hours after I did. Ya, that's the ticket! Busted! Again!

Do a search for posts with the word dictionary and my name. Dictionary.com is the site I always link to. In some situations I'll also link to a few others, because some people here have claimed to not like dictionary.com. You never made that claim, so I just used it.

Unbusted! biggrin.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jul 6 2006, 10:44 AM)

Do a search for posts with the word dictionary and my name. Dictionary.com is the site I always link to. In some situations I'll also link to a few others, because some people here have claimed to not like dictionary.com. You never made that claim, so I just used it.

Unbusted! biggrin.gif

Links?

Admitted bullshitter.
Brahm
I mean a link to a post where it is used as a link to words instead of the auto formatting on a separate line, like you did in the last post. rotfl.gif Because I had done a search as you suggested, and the ones I found were all separate line. If the other exists I'm not going to poke through your mounds of crap to find it.

By the way, if you really didn't follow that URL in my post, at least by mousing over it to read the link, how would you know what I was taking about? Since 'the word' in question wasn't written into visually in my post. Hrmmm, very puzzling. sarcastic.gif

Get some integrity.
James McMurray
I did half the work for you. If you want more feel free to do it yourself.

I wasn't sure which word you referred to, and didn't really care
Brahm
I wasn't sure which word you referred to, and didn't really care

Oh right, actually understanding what you are reading isn't actually a priority for you. rotfl.gif I forgot about that.
I did half the work for you. If you want more feel free to do it yourself.

Yes, and that's what I found. That you put them on their own line with autoformating. Unlike what you did this time, matching what I had done a few hours earlier. So far you haven't shown anything different, only confirming what I originally posted about.

Get some integrity.
emo samurai
Dude, trodes can replace datajacks in every way. The book never says that you need a datajack in place of electrodes for any purpose whatsoever, even for cold sim.

Then again, I'm thinking SR4.
James McMurray
It doesn't really matter what I say. You've convinced yourself that you're right, and won't be convinced otherwise. Luckily for me life doesn't revolve around you or how you feel. Thanks for your time, but as part of the Kinder, Gentler James I'll be moving on now. If you'd like to discuss issues I'm happy to do so.
James McMurray
emo: the claim wasn't that you needed a jack, it was that you needed a jack or trodes. It's still wrong, but not for the reasons you mentioned.
emo samurai
QUOTE (FanGirl)
Here's something good you can use to add atmosphere:

"As you're talking to Mr. Johnson, some people in the next booth start arguing loudly. You can't understand everything they're saying because you're trying to focus on more important things, but it seems to be something about datajacks. They're so loud that you almost have to shout to make yourself heard. Johnson begins tapping his fingers on the table while glaring darkly at the arguers. "I'm sorry," he mutters. "It's just...why can't those drekheads just shut up?"

To continue:

"Mister Johnson calms down for a moment and turns to you.
"Okay, how about we have a test. Think of it as a paid audition. Find a way to shut them the hell up without calling attention to yourselves. Radio the sniper you have watching this meet, levitate a pot of coffee over one of their heads and dump it, sneak a drone into the kitchen and poison their soup, whatever. I'll pay you 2,000 nuyen.gif to do it.""
James McMurray
"We're not deaf you know." As the tougher looking of the two men speaks, he also pulls a grenade from his pocket and rolls it under the bench to the runners' booth with that all too familiar plink sound of a pin hitting the floor.
Brahm
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Dude, trodes can replace datajacks in every way. The book never says that you need a datajack in place of electrodes for any purpose whatsoever, even for cold sim.

Then again, I'm thinking SR4.

It is just that datajacks are more convient than trodes in a lot of ways, plus the added security of not being able to be jammed. Hard to say about the trode to brain interface, the rules don't talk about it, but I suspect that ECM is liable to interfere with that. Also less likely to be knocked off.

The big thing is whether or not the 0.1 or less Essense loss is particularly important to you or not. How it seems to work out, in my experience, is that characters that use to not have DJ still don't and the ones that did have DJ often now do still. The rough translation of Otaku to Technomancers is the one place where this isn't always true, although like I said my character did anyway. Mostly because he had some other implants anyway, and the 0.04 Essense from using Alpha and having cyberware as the lower Essense loss allowed it to fit in quite easily.

It doesn't really matter what I say. You've convinced yourself that you're right, and won't be convinced otherwise. Luckily for me life doesn't revolve around you or how you feel. Thanks for your time, but as part of the Kinder, Gentler James I'll be moving on now. If you'd like to discuss issues I'm happy to do so.

How about shooting for a kinder, gentler, more prone to trying to understand what he is reading, more honest James?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012