Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damage to objects?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sorcel
Anyone have rules of thumb for damage to objects?

For example:

1. A sammy accidently drops his Ares Predator IV off a roof. What's left when it hits the 'crete? SR4 gives rules for falling damage, but nothing for the *amount* of damage an item can take.

2. A hacker is unhappily caught in the blast radius of a High Explosive Grenade. How might one figure the odds of the hacker's uber-expensive commlink being roasted in the blast? Obviously we have rules for calculating damage to the person, but what about damage to the gear that person is carrying?

3. An katana-wielding adept tries to chop his opponent's shotgun in half. How should the defender roll his defense? Reaction + Dodge? What if, instead of a shotgun, the defender was holding a petunia? In other words, how would object hardness play into the equation? Some sort of Armor rating, maybe?

Of course, there's also the possibility that all this stuff is in the book and I'm just not seeing it... in which case, maybe point me to a page, or even a section?

Thanks!

-S
James McMurray
1) figure up a good barrier rating for the device and use the barrier rules, although in your example I'd just say the gun was trashed if the roof was higher than a story or two.

2) Unless there's a botch or critical botch no damage should be done to the gear. Mainly because it's too much of a hassle for too little return.

3) Again use the barrier rules. If it's a weapon I'd let them make opposed weapon rolls to determine if the gun was hit and what the base damage would be. Reaction + dodge for everything else.
Austere Emancipator
I haven't got rules of thumb, but I think I can handle the examples.

QUOTE (sorcel)
A sammy accidently drops his Ares Predator IV off a roof.

Assuming this is a tall building, I'd say the gun would violently "field strip" itself, sending springs and rods and stuff flying all over. With all the electronic shit stuffed in there, it sure as hell wouldn't work afterwards.

QUOTE (sorcel)
A hacker is unhappily caught in the blast radius of a High Explosive Grenade. How might one figure the odds of the hacker's uber-expensive commlink being roasted in the blast?

It won't be roasted if the hacker is still alive. If a conventional HE munition will is able to heat up a dense, plastic and metal encased object carried by a person, that person is doubly fucked. The real problem would be fragments. If the the damage value is high enough to all but kill the hacker, I'd say the commlink is fucked unless some Dodge or Edge or whatever is put aside to protect it.

QUOTE (sorcel)
An katana-wielding adept tries to chop his opponent's shotgun in half. How should the defender roll his defense?

He should ram his dice up the offending player's ass.
sorcel
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

QUOTE (sorcel)
An katana-wielding adept tries to chop his opponent's shotgun in half. How should the defender roll his defense?

He should ram his dice up the offending player's ass.

Awright, I take it you don't like my example. Suit yourself; formulate the facts however you wish. I'll even help.

"Character A is holding an object -- I don't care what sort. Character B has a melee weapon. Character B tries to smash the object in Character A's hands. What result?"

Is that better?

-S
Austere Emancipator
Sorry. I just feel such answers are necessary as long there are people out there who think katanas can actually slice through thick, hardened ferrous metal items.

There's no disarming rule in SR4? (I can't even remember if there's one in SR3.) Else James McMurray's advice seems about right.
James McMurray
There may be a disarming rules, I can't recall either. But this isn't exactly disarming. If there is a rule for it, use those rolls instead and then apply net hits as damage to the object.
Austere Emancipator
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Dragonscript
What if you gave the object like a tiny or small drone? Just modify the rules a bit.
James McMurray
If it's a drone then it has stats, including armor and body. If it's really small I'd try to extrapolate the numbers.

IIRC the numbers given for breaking through a barrier are for creating a 1m x 1m hole, while the numbers given for penetrating the barrier are for making a tiny hole. If the damage dealt falls between the two levels a general idea of how hurt the object is can be had.
sorcel
Sorry. I just feel such answers are necessary as long there are people out there who think katanas can actually slice through thick, hardened ferrous metal items.

We're also talking about a game in which a dragon got elected POTUS.

Let's not take this too seriously.

-S
sorcel
QUOTE (James McMurray)
There may be a disarming rules, I can't recall either. But this isn't exactly disarming. If there is a rule for it, use those rolls instead and then apply net hits as damage to the object.

There are disarming rules. They're in the Called Shots sections. And they do suggest that the GM gets to decide whether (or how seriously) the item being knocked out of the defender's hand is damaged. But as you say, I'm not talking about disarming; I'm talking about breaking the item held, regardless of whether the defender maintains his grip.

The problem with applying net hits as damage is that it looks only to the attacker's skill without considering the weapon. As was recently (and ungently) pointed out, a katana can't easily cut through hardened metal; on the other hand, severing a rope with a bullet is possible in theory (based on damage dealt) but nigh impossible in practice (based on accuracy required). Somehow skill and innate damaging capacity ought to balance -- like they (mostly) do in the rest of the rules. That's why I was hoping for some consistent rule, and disappointed when I couldn't find one.

I dunno. It might be that the best answer to my initial question really is "GM discretion." If that's the most reasonable solution, based on forum consensus, then I'm willing to buy it. But I figured I'd check first.

-S
James McMurray
Weapon damaging capability vs. objects is handled in the barriers section. It looks like the Destroying Barriers section fits this situation best. I would modify the effective Structure Rating based on the size of the item. A few off the cuff and probaly horrible examples:

Stupid scientist A is holding a small ballistic glass beaker filled with a genetically engineered virus that can only kill him. Cocky Physad B thinks it would be funnier to break the vial instead of just hackign the poor scientist to bits. They make their rolls and the physad (after rolling for soak) deals 1 damage to the vial. Ballistic glass has a structure rating of 5, but that's for a 1m hole. A beaker is a tiny percentage of a 1m square, so the 1 damage is probably enough to break it.

Same scientist, instead its a gun and a clear armored glass beaker (hey, it holds his death, and he's a bit paranoid about it). This time the weapon's base damage is only 2 because it's a bullet vs. a barrier. Armored glass has a structure rating of 9, so I'd probably require at least 2 damage be dealt, which with a base 2DV vs. 16 armor is going to be tough to pull off.

For the rope example I'd give a major dice pool penalty to the shot, or perhaps increase the rope's effective armor and structure ratings to account for the difficulty of the shot.
James McMurray
Just looked at the called shot / disarm rules. I'd apply the -4 dice pool penalty to the attack, plus another -2 because you're not just trying to hit it well enough to break someone's grasp, you're trying to hit it well enough to break the object.

Situational modifiers might also come into play. For example, trying to sunder a CD held in someone's hand will be much harder than trying to do it to a baseball bat because there's a lot less area on a CD for you to hit.
sorcel
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Just looked at the called shot / disarm rules. I'd apply the -4 dice pool penalty to the attack, plus another -2 because you're not just trying to hit it well enough to break someone's grasp, you're trying to hit it well enough to break the object.

Situational modifiers might also come into play. For example, trying to sunder a CD held in someone's hand will be much harder than trying to do it to a baseball bat because there's a lot less area on a CD for you to hit.

Hmm. That seems like a solution for handling the attack, though perhaps not the damage.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Weapon damaging capability vs. objects is handled in the barriers section. It looks like the Destroying Barriers section fits this situation best. I would modify the effective Structure Rating based on the size of the item.

OK. I think that taking these two suggestions together yields a viable rule. Use the Called Shot / Disarm rules for the attack, and then resolve damage using a much-scaled-down version of the Destroying a Barrier rules.

So, for sake of comparison...

Let's say our maligned adept is stupidly trying to chop down a hardwood tree with his katana. Hardwood is a Heavy Material (Armor 6 / Structure 7). He's got Strength 4, so his katana does (4 /2) + 3 = 5P. He rolls straight Agility + Blades and gets, I dunno, 4 hits. His new DV is 9P; the tree resists with 2 x Armor = 12 dice and gets 4 hits. Total of 5P. Not enough to beat the tree's Structure, so he'll need to try again.

Then he tries to chop a foe's staff in half. His foe (and hence the staff) is a moving target, so he rolls Agility + Blades - 4 (for a "disarm") - 2 (for the extra oomph needed to break a moving object), and gets 3 hits total. His foe rolls Reaction + Clubs and gets 2 hits. The attack connects at DV 6P. The staff (a hardwood) resists damage with 2 x Armor = 12 dice, getting 3 hits. Total of 3P. However, a staff is much thinner than a whole tree, so we'll say it only has Structure 2. The adept cleaves it cleanly in two.

Does that sound right?

-S
James McMurray
Sounds good, although that adept's katana will be ruined long before he'll cut that tree down. smile.gif
Nim
The lack of rules for damaging non-barrier objects is a bit of a hole - it came up in a different thread in connection with there not being rules for attacking active foci via astral combat. I think you're right that the barrier rules can be adapted to it easily enough, but it'd be nice if they tossed in a paragraph or so on the subject..some guidelines on picking the right barrier/structure ratings, etc. Wouldn't take much. It could maybe even be snuch into the errata, since it's an amplification rather than a change.
James McMurray
Structure ratings might be a bit difficult to define, but barrier ratings are based on the item's material and usually easy to pull from the chart.
Dread Polack
To borrow a term from another RPG, I'll call this "sundering."

To sunder a held item, I'd call it a called shot with a penalty of -1 (a guitar case) to -4 (a pistol). Then, I'd have the attacker do damage to the object using the barrier rules. I'd try not to let it get any more complicated than that.

Doing enough damage could completely destroy the object. At the very least, I'd inflict a -1 dice pool penalty to the user of an object per point of damage done. Electronics could be disrupted, the barrel could get bent slightly, etc.

I think disarming can either be trying to finesse an object out of someone's hand, to simply trying to violently knocking it out of their hand, to inflicting enough pain on the hand/arm to get the holder to drop the item. I think sundering could either be easier or harder than disarming, depending on what the appropriate disarming technique is. Of course, in interest of simplicity, we just use the same disarming rules for all 3 techniques.

As for chopping a barrel off a shotgun- I think a monofiliment blade could do it. I also think a high-tech constructed katana could possibly do it.

Dread Polack
James McMurray
QUOTE (Dread Polack)

Beat you to it. wink.gif

I agree that futuristic weaponry might be able to chop a barrel off of a gun, although the way the weapon works in SR compared to how it would work in real life is probably tons different. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I just figured I'd mention it because someone else who reads monofilament and katana in the same paragraph would want to do it themselves. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
I agree that, assuming 1) leaps in material technology occur that are only barely imaginable today, with advances directly applicable to bladed melee weapons; 2) the shotgun is held in place so as to be completely immovable; 3) the person wielding the sword is extremely strong, and the sword is made very heavy yet insanely thin, a shotgun barrel could be chopped in half. It is also possible with the simple assumption that things don't have to make sense.
Shrike30
I've seen a Glock 21 that's survived being run over, dragged behind a car for a while, tossed off a roof, shot with a .22 (in the metal slide, not the polymer frame), and dropped out of an airplane into a field. Amusingly, the thing that interfered with it's ability to function the most wasn't the drop breaking the gun, but the sudden deceleration flattening the cases on all of the rounds on the downwards side of the magazine when it hit, causing every other round to fail to feed. A change of magazine would fix that problem.

Some guns can withstand incredible amounts of abuse. Others aren't built so hot... a big dent in the side of the reciever can cause the bolt to fail to cycle, or the barrel can be crushed by an impact. However, if the frame holds up to the impact (that is, the gun doesn't shatter it's stock or split the frame open on impact), most of the internals shouldn't move too much.

In other words, I wouldn't want to toss an AK-97 off a rooftop then have to use it afterwards, but I'd at least give it a try.

As for cutting a shotgun in half... sure, go for it. Just make sure the GM picks an appropriately high-strength material for the gun to be made out of.
Austere Emancipator
Oh I'd have a lot more confidence in an AK-97's ability to withstand a drop from a roof than in a Predator's. smile.gif An AK should handle it fine as long as it doesn't drop on it's barrel, who cares if the stock or the sights get busted.
sorcel
QUOTE (Dread Polack)

Isn't it sad that an arguably superior RPG has to "borrow" from an arguably inferior one?

smile.gif

-S
sorcel
It is also possible with the simple assumption that things don't have to make sense.

That's what I was thinking. Who needs sense, anyhow?

-S
Edward
Things get more confusing with the chop a gun with a sword.

Consider somebody with a clamor attacking a shotgun in somebody’s hand.

It is quit improbable that he will chop the gun in half (not braced and all that) but he could easily dent or bend the barrel, making the weapon useless.

What about spell verses weapon, my semi pacifist mage is not above power bolting enemies guns, or wrestling them away with a force 8 magic fingers spell, or at least I would not be if I had the foggiest idea how you would resolve such an action

ornot
When I played a mage in SR3 I used telekinesis to steal guns on occasion. I believe the system worked like this... the mage cast the spell and had to defeat the object resistance of the gun, then the wielder of the weapon had to make a strength check to hold onto it and had to beat the mages successes. This translates quite nicely into SR4, although I'm not sure that magic fingers would work, as it allows fine manipulation, rather than great force. You could eject the clip with it, or engage the safety, but that's just my interpretation.

Power bolting the gun is even simpler. Assign the gun an object resistance rating, an armour and structure rating and determine damage based on that.

I don't know much about guns, but in my limited experience they are pretty tough (depending on model). If someone wanted to make an attack on a weapon I'd rule it in the same way that I would if they were trying to attack a barrier, except that the defender could make a defense test to reduce their successes. You'd need to assign a structure and armour rating to the weapon involved, then refer to the barrier rules.

If I was feeling particularly number crunchy (which right now I'm not) I'd also assign a structure and armour rating to the attackers weapon to see if that was damaged. Hence a claymore or a fire axe would have a high enough structure and armour that it would be unlikely to break, while a fencing foil or similar would more likely snap.

It occurs to me that this could also replace the section about blunt objects doing less damage to a barrier than sharp ones (which leads to the problem that it's easier to cut down a tree with a club than an axe). All this is, however, more maths than I can face on a sunday.
Samaels Ghost
It occurs to me that this could also replace the section about blunt objects doing less damage to a barrier than sharp ones (which leads to the problem that it's easier to cut down a tree with a club than an axe). All this is, however, more maths than I can face on a sunday.

where's this at? The table on 158 says that all melee weapons don't get their DV changed for attacking barriers.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Edward)
It is quit improbable that he will chop the gun in half (not braced and all that) but he could easily dent or bend the barrel, making the weapon useless.

"Chopped in half" vs. "dented beyond repair" are just flavor text versions of the same rules mechanic.
Abbandon
Abra cadabra, GM discretion.

If a melee player wants to use something to smash something on another player just make a called shot followed by a normal melee attack and if the player hits then it has whatever affect the player wants within reason.

A grenade vs items....If you chuck a grenade at somebody i wouldnt roll for every little piece of equipment they were carrying. It would either hit the guy or it would not. Otherwise your getting into the realm of "where exactly did the bullet hit" and trying to come up with some crazy dice roll table to see if you shot the guy in a toe or a finger or killed his sunglasses or shot off his ear.

If your trying to specifically shoot something on another person it would work the same as the melee attack. You call the shot and apply a heavy negative modifier and take the shot. If it hit your destroy the item.

Sounds like some unkillable machine stole your secret commlink and your trying to break it before he gets away so nobody finds out your #1 band on your commlink is N'Sync.

If a GM has players trying to always shoot out an enemy hacker/riggers commlink to nuetralize them i would just say that you cant see the commlink. You dont need specific rules on how to do specific things.

Player: "Hey my player wants to try and wipe his ass with toilet paper in a more effecient manner"

GM: Uhhhh ok make a logic test.

Player: I got 1 success

GM: Congrats your guy now has ass wiping skill 1 and learned a more effecient way to wipe his ass
Abbandon
I have a question about smashing barriers.

If i try to punch my fist through a wall it has a base of 0 damage and only my hits count ?? So i have 6p damage fists and I throw my agility+unarmed and get like 5 hits. My 6p fists are totally ignored and i only do 5 damage to the wall ??

Oh i was confused about the table on sr4 pg158. Damaging barriers Table. Those are modifiers for DV but they dont have any +'s on them so i thought thats where the DV started.

So my fist would have done 11P and against an average wall it would be resisted with 8 dice(4x2). So even if the wall got 6 hits i would still smash a hole in it.

An ares predator 4 on the other hand would be 5P+ plus net hits +1. Lets say 6 hits. 12P vs an average wall or 8 dice. Even if the wall rolls 7 hits i still smash blow a hole in the wall.

Right ? Thats kinda..funny... a single bullet knocking a meter size hole in the wall..
James McMurray
Look at the table, bullets have only 2DV.

edit: Also, you don't need a special rule for breaking items if you just want to go the GM discretion route, but if there's already rules in place why not use them?
sorcel
QUOTE (Edward)
What about spell verses weapon, my semi pacifist mage is not above power bolting enemies guns, or wrestling them away with a force 8 magic fingers spell, or at least I would not be if I had the foggiest idea how you would resolve such an action

As to use of Magic Fingers to wrest away an opponent's weapon, I think the spell's description is clear. The spell allows its caster to manipulate objects, use skills, and even engage in combat, all remotely -- just at a -2 penalty. Hits on the Spellcasting test effectively become "substitute" Strength and Agility. So, if a mage character cast Magic Fingers and got 4 hits, that's 4 Strength and 4 Agility that he can then use in conjunction with the Called Shot / Disarm rules mentioned earlier in this thread. (At first blush, I'd suggest using the spell's substitute Agility + Unarmed Combat, given that the spell is called "Magic Fingers" and not "Magic Swords" or "Magic Knives.")

As to your first point, destroying an enemy's weapon with a spell, I think it mostly falls in line with the questions that began this thread: how does one damage an object at all, regardless of the medium of attack? A Physical spell like Powerbolt might eliminate the arguable conceptual glitch of steel-katana-versus-steel-shotgun, but it's the same fundamental question. We could enumerate lots of 'em. What about Killing Hands -- can an adept use his bare hands to break a weapon? Or a vehicle -- what happens if you drive an Ares Citymaster over a frag grenade? Lots of iterations, but they all point to the same hole in the rules.

We've cobbled together an inelegant solution in this thread, but (obviously) an official word from FanPro would be better.

-S
James McMurray
I'm not sure what's inelegant about it. It works using the rules as written. A finer definitionof structure rating vs. size would be nice, but percentages are fairly easy to use.
sorcel
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I'm not sure what's inelegant about it. It works using the rules as written. A finer definitionof structure rating vs. size would be nice, but percentages are fairly easy to use.

You answer your own question. I'd like the rule condensed and concretized, so that I don't need to invent the structure ratings myself. You know, for sake of consistency, better things to do, etc., etc.

I'd also like it playtested, but maybe I'm being greedy. smile.gif

-S
Abbandon
Oh ok.. some things get there damage value set and some get left alone. So if your shooting a wall it doesnt matter if your using a walter palm or a Panther XXL the damage value = 2 for bullets.

But for my fist i get to start with my str/2 +whatever and add on my hits.

And a high explosive rocket dv=14 would get multiplied by 3 + hits and only get soaked by 1x armor.
Shrike30
QUOTE (sorcel @ Jul 9 2006, 03:18 PM)
what happens if you drive an Ares Citymaster over a frag grenade?

It ignores it. The blast doesn't do the "contained" thing (since it can vent out to the sides) and the grenade doesn't have enough punch to make it through the hardened armor of the citymaster. You might damage the tires...
sorcel
QUOTE (Shrike30)
It ignores it.  The blast doesn't do the "contained" thing (since it can vent out to the sides) and the grenade doesn't have enough punch to make it through the hardened armor of the citymaster.  You might damage the tires...

I'd say you aptly demonstrate my point. The question I asked was (perhaps unclearly) aimed just as much at the fate of the grenade as at the fate of the Citymaster. You assume that the grenade is destroyed, probably because that's what common sense dictates. It's a viable assumption. But the RAW are silent, and that's a hole.

Maybe the grenade-versus-Citymaster example is too easy. How about a tougher call -- like a grenade being run over by a Honda Spirit? Common sense might suggest that a grenade would be crushed by a Citymaster... but by a compact commuter vehicle? What about a Dodge Scoot? A Doberman drone? How could we make these sorts of calls? Where would we even begin? The RAW don't tell us, so we have to get inventive. And inventive generally means inconsistent.

Let's say we decide to use the Ramming Damage rules for vehicle combat. It's not a nice fit, given that the driver of the Spirit isn't trying to hit the grenade, and isn't hitting the grenade head-on. But it's the closest thing I can think of. Even so, we still don't know how much abuse a grenade can take before being destroyed. Or a commlink. Or a petunia. In short, our decision to use Ramming Damage rules ain't much help, because it's only one half of the equation.

Forgive me for belaboring the point. I don't mean to suggest that we need a rule for every tiny fraggin' thing. But if and how an object -- any object -- takes damage seems like the sort of question one might want answered consistently in a game where characters routinely carry sensitive equipment, utilize heavy firepower, and sling reality-bending magic at one other. This is especially true when detectability and collateral damage are palpable threats to said characters' survival.

-S
James McMurray
IIRC The blast will still ricochet back and forth. The chunky salsa rules ddon't require a completely closed blast zone.
Austere Emancipator
Wait, a citymaster is a wheeled vehicle, right? I'd say the spoon and clip on the average frag grenade might be mangled to make the grenade unusable, but at least the kind of nades I handled could otherwise take a truck driving over them. The probability of a 2050s+ nade detonating as a result of this would be about zero, regardless of whether the shell breaks and the insides spread all over the street or not, unless it was primed beforehand. I personally handled nade fuses designed in the 50s which could apparently go off if you so much as looked at them funny.

Grenades without relatively tough, metallic outer shells would fare worse, obviously. RL offensive grenades ("Defensive Grenades" in SR for some reason) might well splatter, as might newer frag grenades that only have a light plastic cover with a "sleeve" of preformed fragments/steel balls.

[I know you're just trying to think of ways to come up with rules for these things, but I figure if we logically handle all of these examples eventually you won't need rules. smile.gif ]
sorcel
I personally handled nade fuses designed in the 50s which could apparently go off if you so much as looked at them funny.

This is the sort of grenade I was thinking -- the sort I'm familiar with from old B&W WWII flicks. Having never been involved in anything "military" myself, I can't say I have first-hand experience with any sort of grenade, old or new; thus, merely applying common sense to the workings of a grenade is undoubtedly not as easy for me as it is for you. If I had to guess, I'd say a handsome majority of SR4 players are probably in my shoes rather than yours. But that's just a guess.

[I know you're just trying to think of ways to come up with rules for these things, but I figure if we logically handle all of these examples eventually you won't need rules. smile.gif ]

See my earlier comment in this post. Logic is great, but it's inevitably case-by-case. If we want a consistent solution that doesn't depend on first-hand experience -- which most SR player are likely to lack anyway -- we need an actual rule.

Besides... I'm a law student. Thinking up increasingly absurd hypotheticals is what I do all day. Sure you're up to that? smile.gif

-S
James McMurray
My comment was not meant to say that a grenade driven over would explode. I was responding to Shrike's comment about the blast not bouncing around under the citymaster.

But if and how an object -- any object -- takes damage seems like the sort of question one might want answered consistently in a game where characters routinely carry sensitive equipment, utilize heavy firepower, and sling reality-bending magic at one other.

The when isn't handled very well, but it can't be. There's no way to create a system that can always tell you if action a damages object B.

The how is already in the rules in the barrier ratings section. There's no need for anything else, as it's all right there. They could give more, in terms of a detailed table describing lots of specific objects but it would just be overkill, as a table is already in the rules, it just requires some GM extrapolation. Since there's no way to create a table for every possible object, any setup is going to require GM extrapolation.
Austere Emancipator
sorcel: Don't get me wrong, I don't expect everyone to know how hand grenade fuse design has advanced in the past 60 years and how it's likely to advance in the next 60 (nor do I know anything about that that couldn't be summed up in a sentence). Just pointing things out, in case that particular situation does come up in some game. smile.gif

I can't promise I'll weigh in on every hypothetical scenario you can come up with, but as long as you keep to weaponry and armor I don't think I'll be able to keep my nose out of it. nyahnyah.gif
sorcel
I can't promise I'll weigh in on every hypothetical scenario you can come up with, but as long as you keep to weaponry and armor I don't think I'll be able to keep my nose out of it. nyahnyah.gif

Hmm. Fair!

And let me be clear: I'm not trying to pin-prick the BBB. There are smaller gaps in the RAW that I'm happy overlooking, and plenty of actual rules I just ignore outright. (I hardly come off as such in the forums, but -- believe it or not -- I'm actually a fairly hardcore narrativist/cinematicist.) My motive here is just to test the system's tolerances. This particular hole might be less of a sticking point in another game, especially one outside the cyberpunk genre -- a genre that takes as one of its central themes the interaction of People with Stuff. If this were, say, Mage, or HeroQuest, or some other game where The Mystical were substantially more important to the story than The Material, I'd be nagging you about the scope of necromantic magic or the brokenness of the spellcasting system.

Of course, I reserve the right to nag you about such things in SR, too. grinbig.gif

-S
Phobos
A lot of the problems vanish if you distinguish two cases :

- Objects made from solid material, and
- Objects made out of more vulnerable material encased in solid material.

For the first category, simply find the kind of material you're destroying on the table. Every (Structure Rating) damage will be 10cm into the material, just keep chopping/shooting until you're through. (That's what RAW tries to describe)

For the second category, it is usually enough to pierce the casing, then compare the reduced damage to the separate Armor/Structure Ratings of the interior. (That's what RAW forgot to mention)

If the item is carried by someone, simply use Called Shot rules.

Examples :

Sammy (STR 9) tries to chop down a tree (A6, S7) of 4 feet diameter (=120cm) with his trusty Combat Axe (STR/2+4P, AP-1, 12 Pool Dice). On average he would generate 4 hits and deal 13P, AP-1.
The tree would resist each hit with 11 Dice (2x Armor Rating), averaging 4 hits, for average 9 damage per strike.
It would fall prey to Sammy's loving care after 10 strikes (12 (diameter) x 7 (Structure) / 9 (Damage)).

If you want to find out if the axe is damaged, assume it is heavily structured (A 16, S 13) and taking about (STR/2-1,AP+2, same net hits) per strike (force = counterforce, but wood gives in more than a metal edge). So each strike would be 8P vs. 28 dice of the axe - a slight chance each strike to lose its edge.
Chopping through metal would have a damage code more along (STR/2+1,AP0) (and of course far higher Armor and Structure ratings on part of the attacked material).

Chopping through a shotgun barrel would be structured material, too (A16, S13). So Sammy would attack this one with the average 13P,AP-1 from above, but the shotgun would resist rolling 25 (2x Armor, -1 AP) dice to resist, for an average 8 hits, reducing the damage to 5. Still, this would be enough to destoy it, probably even to chop through it cleanly (though that might need 6 damage).
Now look at the damage to the combat axe : ST/2+1, 4 net hits = 10P, resisted by the axe's 26 dice (2x Armor) - unless Sammy is lucky, his axe will be damaged by this stunt.

Sammy now wants to shoot at commlinks. Commlinks normally are pretty fragile electronics (A1, S1) encased with heavy or reinforced material (A6, S7 to A8, S9). Now say he wants to waste a quality one. He uses his pistol (6P, -1AP, 12 Dice Firearms Pool) and gets an average 10P, -1AP vs the armor of 8 of the casing. The shot penetrates the casing and will damage the interior of the commlink. The interior would now roll 10 dice (2 (2x Armor) + 8 (Casing Armor)) vs 6P (2 (Bullet) + 4 (Net Hits)), averaging 3 Damage -> destroyed.
Destroying a grenade (by having the explosives inside blow up) would be the same system, only with the grenade a little tougher (like A12 for the casing, A2, S3 for the interior)

Damage to Object Rules are another nice example of a good rule explained in a way that nobody can use it :wall:

(Edited for more examples (and some spelling :rolleyes:))
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012