Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone Device Ratings
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
I just noticed the Drones on the Drone Rigger archtype on SR4.92 have Matrix device ratings of 4 but the chart on SR4.214 lists drones as "3". I see that "Security Devices" are a Rating 4, but what qualifies an item as "Security" or not?

Also, I see the rules for upgrading commlink Hardware (SR4.240) but is software upgraded using SR4.228? If so, there is no availability on Rating 6 so does that mean I can have a commlink Response 5, Signal 5, System 6, Firewall 6 ?

Sorry for the multipart question, it came about helping one of my players working a drone rigger tonight.

Thanks,

~GTT
Grogs
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I just noticed the Drones on the Drone Rigger archtype on SR4.92 have Matrix device ratings of 4 but the chart on SR4.214 lists drones as "3".  I see that "Security Devices" are a Rating 4, but what qualifies an item as "Security" or not?

While I was building a rigger, I decided to reverse engineer the 'drone rigger' archetype to figure out how the drones were put together. Based on that, the non-stock vehicles and drones (Stepvan, Dobermans, Rotodrones) definitely seem to be upgrades. As a result, I've been treating drones as having 3's in all ratings and upgrading from there.

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Also, I see the rules for upgrading commlink Hardware (SR4.240) but is software upgraded using SR4.228? If so, there is no availability on Rating 6 so does that mean I can have a commlink Response 5, Signal 5, System 6, Firewall 6 ?

Yeah, but it won't function as system 6 on a response 5 commlink. Of course the question this opens up as a GM is why would anyone buy one of the high-end commlinks? For 3000 nuyen.gif cheaper than the Fairlight Caliban you can have a 5/5 commlink. For half the price of the Transys Avalon you could have a 4/4.
Aaron
As far as I can tell, drones start out with Rating 3 in everything.

Upgrading hardware (Response and Signal) is on p. 240 of your hymnal. Rating 6 upgrade has an Availablity of 16.

Upgrading software (Pilot and Firewall) is on p. 321. A Rating 6 Pilot upgrade has an Availablility of 18, and there is no Availability Rating for Firewall.
deek
I, too, have been starting all drones as a device rating 3 (so 3's across the board).

As to the question about why buy a high-end commlink...well, not all characters will be able to modify their own hardware or code their own programs. Also, with starting characters, the time it takes to do your own mods is pretty steep (at least for the software). When I was putting together a non-hacker, but one having some hacking skills, it just didn't make sense that he would have spent much time tweaking his own gear and certainly not writing his own programs...

Technically, I suppose you could do it, but not all characters are going to sit down and mod their own devices, even if they can. I mean, take a look at all the gaming consoles that can be modded...most don't take a ton of time or expertise to do, but that doesn't mean everyone does...
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (deek)
I, too, have been starting all drones as a device rating 3 (so 3's across the board).

As to the question about why buy a high-end commlink...well, not all characters will be able to modify their own hardware or code their own programs. Also, with starting characters, the time it takes to do your own mods is pretty steep (at least for the software). When I was putting together a non-hacker, but one having some hacking skills, it just didn't make sense that he would have spent much time tweaking his own gear and certainly not writing his own programs...

Technically, I suppose you could do it, but not all characters are going to sit down and mod their own devices, even if they can. I mean, take a look at all the gaming consoles that can be modded...most don't take a ton of time or expertise to do, but that doesn't mean everyone does...

I wasn't curious about a high-end commlink but more over the fact System and Firewall at Rating 6 are always available but the Response/Signal are limited to 5 at chargen. Seems odd to me.

I remember from SR3, vehicles where considered Security items if they had armor or weapons, maybe that's what they've done in SR4, but I can't find an refernce to anything like that.
deek
Yeah, I agree...have Sys and FW as a 6 at chargen doesn't make much sense. In my games, I wouldn't allow it, but that is just me.
Lagomorph
I've been thinking about house ruling that you buy or build a commlink to put into the drone, and that they come with out "brains". So that riggers can add their own custom ratings to the drone.

One issue is that drones are REALLY cheap, and if you can pull out the full rating 3 commlink, I think it'd be cheaper than buying a real rating 3 commlink. I don't have my book so I don't know for certain, but thats my guess.

Anyway, because the drones are so cheap, it seemed like it would make sense to make that the "shell" which connects to the commlink that contains the pilot and autosofts. So the cost of a drone would be the Shell + commlink + programs + weapons.
Jagdcarcajou
Heya,

I ran into this as well. According to pg. 213, "The Sample Devices table (p. 214) lists typical Device ratings for common electronics."

Pg. 214 then lists Average, 3, "..., drones,..." and also has the jargon about Pilot = System, yadda yadda.

Chris
Grogs
QUOTE (deek)
As to the question about why buy a high-end commlink...well, not all characters will be able to modify their own hardware or code their own programs.  Also, with starting characters, the time it takes to do your own mods is pretty steep (at least for the software).  When I was putting together a non-hacker, but one having some hacking skills, it just didn't make sense that he would have spent much time tweaking his own gear and certainly not writing his own programs...

Technically, I suppose you could do it, but not all characters are going to sit down and mod their own devices, even if they can.  I mean, take a look at all the gaming consoles that can be modded...most don't take a ton of time or expertise to do, but that doesn't mean everyone does...

Well, the build and coding times on p. 240 only apply if you're building the upgrades from parts or coding the software from scratch. The upper table on p. 240 gives the cost for buying a hardware upgrade while the table on p. 228 gives the cost for buying a software upgrade. From my reading of the RAW, I don't see any reason you can't buy those upgrades and have them on your commlink at character generation (and indeed, several of the archetypes have done just that.)

Of course if you just want a low end commlink, this really doesn't apply since up to the Novatech Airwave (3/3) commlink, you're actually better off just buying the commlink rather than upgrades. I could certainly see RPing a guy who's pretty computer illiterate and thus just buys the low end stuff, but for a character who's at all computer savvy, he'll realize he wants the best commlink he can get his hands on (to make it harder to hack if nothing else.) And being somewhat computer savvy, he'll know you can just upgrade a POS commlink a lot cheaper than buying a Fairlight Caliban.
James McMurray
The general rule I try to follow is that if text and a table disagree the text holds sway. It's the official stance of a few game companies, and has always worked for me. You could just as easily choose the other way, butif you pick one and stick to it things can go a lot smoother, at least while you wait for erratta or a FAQ to clarify it for you.
deek
QUOTE (Grogs)
Well, the build and coding times on p. 240 only apply if you're building the upgrades from parts or coding the software from scratch. The upper table on p. 240 gives the cost for buying a hardware upgrade while the table on p. 228 gives the cost for buying a software upgrade. From my reading of the RAW, I don't see any reason you can't buy those upgrades and have them on your commlink at character generation (and indeed, several of the archetypes have done just that.)

Of course if you just want a low end commlink, this really doesn't apply since up to the Novatech Airwave (3/3) commlink, you're actually better off just buying the commlink rather than upgrades. I could certainly see RPing a guy who's pretty computer illiterate and thus just buys the low end stuff, but for a character who's at all computer savvy, he'll realize he wants the best commlink he can get his hands on (to make it harder to hack if nothing else.) And being somewhat computer savvy, he'll know you can just upgrade a POS commlink a lot cheaper than buying a Fairlight Caliban.

True, it is building from parts or coding from scratch, and really, the hardware isn't that bad, cost or timewise (assuming you pay half the upgrade cost for the parts, you are still just talking about days for a build, not weeks or months).

I guess I misunderstood "upgrading" as building/coding yourself in the prior quote I was commenting on, my mistake.

I had been tossing the idea around, for chargen, that the same restrictions apply like attributes and skills. Characters can choose one level 6 rating (as long as it is actually available per the availability limitation) and the rest 4s or less or two rating 5 items, with the rest being 4 or under...obviously, that would be a houserule, but it seems fair enough for chargen and doesn't have my players trying to go crazy on the equipment ratings. Granted, besides modding a Firewall or System rating to 6, I don't know of any other equipment that you could really get due to the availability limitation...
Dv84good
I has been working on a rigger and I was under the impression the pilot was used for system and firewall; you got your signal from the sensor package you bought out of the gear section and response was determined by the node the drone is working off.
Jaid
QUOTE (Dv84good)
I has been working on a rigger and I was under the impression the pilot was used for system and firewall; you got your signal from the sensor package you bought out of the gear section and response was determined by the node the drone is working off.

pilot is used for system, firewall is separate, signal is separate (the "signal" rating of your sensor package is just how far your sensors extend) and response is in fact determined off the node the drone is working off of... said node being the drone =P

default rating for all these attributes to start off is 3, possibly 4 in some cases but that's up to your GM (what counts as security device and what doesn't?)
Dv84good
Thanks for the clarification:)

Am I correct in believe the drones sensors for tests cannot be upgrade?
Jaid
you are correct inasmuch as there are currently no rules for upgrading sensors. i expect we will get some eventually.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (Dv84good @ Jul 11 2006, 10:43 PM)
I has been working on a rigger and I was under the impression the pilot was used for system and firewall;  you got your signal from the sensor package you bought out of the gear section and response was determined by the node the drone is working off.

pilot is used for system, firewall is separate, signal is separate (the "signal" rating of your sensor package is just how far your sensors extend) and response is in fact determined off the node the drone is working off of... said node being the drone =P

default rating for all these attributes to start off is 3, possibly 4 in some cases but that's up to your GM (what counts as security device and what doesn't?)

IIRC, in other SR versions, security vehicles where those that had either Armor or Weapons mounted on them. Although I dont' see this stated in SR4, maybe this might be same logic used?

Only other way would be to upgrade the stats seperately which IMO, would be odd to bump only from 3 to 4.
Jaid
you could also use the availability ratings as a way of guessing... ie anything with an R or F is presumably security or better...
Grogs
QUOTE (Jaid)

I think sensor and signal are two completely different animals. Signal is how strong of a transmitter and how good of an antenna you have, while sensor goes to the various camera or whatever that are mounted on the drone. Improving one shouldn't necessarily improve the other.

That said, I haven't really figured out what the difference is between an 'out of the box' drone and one with a camera + microphone sensor suite. Maybe the ability to record, but I think any drone would have to have basic sensors to be able to interface with the real world.
Jaid
well, since sensor packages with nothing are free, i would assume that the default drone comes with such a sensor package.

you are correct that sensor and signal are two different things entirely, but if you look the sensor packages have a "signal rating" based on their size that indicates how far they can scan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012