Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Choose Your Metatype
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kyoto Kid
...Okay since we already have one poll asking whether you would like living in the SR universe & another on your ideal ratio of awakened individuals, this seemed like a natrural one to follow up with.

Squinky
Orks Rock.
knasser
I voted human but it was very close between that and elf. I just like the idea of being able to live for so long and have the time to learn and do so much. Happier with a human build than an elven beanpole though.

The main thing is that I should be awakened.
Bodak
Dwarves for the win. Thermo vision, fitting in small places, being able to buy child's tickets at the cinema, having a huge beard, talking with a fake Scottish accent, resistance to drugs and poisons, and +4 attributes for Priority D ain't bad.
JesterX
I choosed elf because I'm a devious planning bastard.... ^_^
SL James
I chose human because I'm a racist bastard.
JesterX
Curious that nobody picked troll... They are so strong, tall, and have a big ...... ^_^
emo samurai
Elves; they live for so long, and if you go on the right metaplanar quest, there's that small chance you'll become immortal.
FanGirl
If I could choose my race, I would be a halfling or a kender. But that wouldn't be possible in the SR universe, so I would say elf.

EDIT: I just realized that the question is "what do you see yourself becoming," in which case I say dwarf.
Herald of Verjigorm
Immortal Dwarf.
emo samurai
QUOTE (FanGirl)
If I could choose my race, I would be a halfling or a kender. But that wouldn't be possible in the SR universe, so I would say elf.

EDIT: I just realized that the question is "what do you see yourself becoming," in which case I say dwarf.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'd still be an elf. I'm flighty, opinionated, and self-centered with vaguely liberal political leanings.
DragginSPADE
Technically you could only become an orc or troll if the awakening happened today, since Elves and Dwarves were born that way after the mana started to rise.

That being said though, if I had the choice I'd be an elf. Gotta love the extended lifespan, and having awesome night vision never hurts.
Demon_Bob
I see myself becoming a normally human-looking Elf poser Ork.

Never really understood why people couldn't becomes Elfs or Dwarfs during the awakening. Some people are practically there already.
Apathy
I'll wait till the mana cycle peaks a little higher and become an obsidiman.
Sahandrian
Orks do indeed rock. And if you really look at it, elves are possibly the worst race.

I'll get in on that immortality thing one way or another, though.
Ophis
Orc, it would be just my luck to turn into an orc in 2021 and hit the geriatric stage straight out...

I'd like to be an elf, but hey they don't goblinise.
The Stainless Steel Rat
Troll - I am a huge bastard.
Grinder
Elf - for living long and prosper wink.gif
toturi
Elf. Cos I like being slim.
Vaevictis
Meh. Life is too short at 100, but would be waaay too long at 1000, IMO.

I'm only 26, and I'm already bored.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Meh. Life is too short at 100, but would be waaay too long at 1000, IMO.

So just go for mortal dwarf. A couple centuries, then you cack.
emo samurai
Everyone likes da orkz, even though you live to be 50 if you're lucky.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)

Yes, but then other things would be too short.
September
Trolls have horns, muscles, and dermal armor. They can see in the dark. What's not to like?
Dawnshadow
Inability to do math, far too great a chance of falling through the floor.

Not to mention the issues that come with great size.
September
Racist scum. Not all trolls are stupid - lots are just uneducated because bigots like you keep us down.

And size isn't always bad. In fact, it's often good.
JongWK
What? No dragon?
emo samurai
That's because everyone would choose to be a dragon.
ShieldT
I'd like to be a dwarf, but I'd shave regularly.

And up my Dancing skill to 5 smile.gif
nezumi
Keep in mind, this is guessing what you WOULD become, not what you would PREFER to become.

I'd love to go ork, but maybe that's because I'm 5'10", 123lbs. A little extra meat would be good. I voted human though. Oooh! Maybe a shapeshifter, rowr. Or a vampire! Or a shapeshifter vampire mecha! Or an emo samurai!
James McMurray
Elf all the way if it's 4th edition (where the ability boosts matter). Human in the previous editions.

Then you're doing it wrong. smile.gif Was it Green Day who quoted someone else in a song: If you're bored then you're boring. wink.gif

edit: they quoted "someone" else, not "omsone" else, whoever that is. smile.gif
JesterX
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Elf all the way if it's 4th edition (where the ability boosts matter). Human in the previous editions.

Then you're doing it wrong. smile.gif Was it Green Day who quoted omsone else in a song: If you're bored then you're boring. wink.gif

Sound the munchkin alarm!!! ^_^

Just kidding.
SL James
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Inability to do math, far too great a chance of falling through the floor.

Not to mention the issues that come with great size.

That 50-year lifespan is just the cherry on top of the sundae of suck.
emo samurai
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 8 2006, 07:20 PM)
Keep in mind, this is guessing what you WOULD become, not what you would PREFER to become.

I'd love to go ork, but maybe that's because I'm 5'10", 123lbs.  A little extra meat would be good.  I voted human though.  Oooh!  Maybe a shapeshifter, rowr.  Or a vampire!  Or a shapeshifter vampire mecha!  Or an emo samurai!

We have to make a distinction between emo samurai and an emo samurai. An emo samurai goes around intimidating peasants and whining about the evanescence of beauty all the while fleecing his own people for every cent he can without provoking a rebellion. emo samurai, on the other hand, is awesome.

I am in a race all my own, and it is awesome.
Birdy
Humans because:

+ We can use the subway without crawling in on hands and knees

+ We can look over the bar without carring a step

+ We can eat with our mouth closed and don't spray spittle past our tusks

+ We can enjoy a steak and don't have to fear being blown away in a strong wind due to pole-thin body and ears that would make the PoW's look small

So join Humanity today. Make sure your kid's don't weaken Humanitis blood! Join HUMANIS!
Nidhogg
Troll FTW!

Although, knowing my luck, I'll probably be ghouling it up by the end of the week.
James McMurray
I'm surprised there aren't a lot more trolls at DS. wink.gif
emo samurai
No, there are. They just use the Internet to hide their identities.
underaneonhalo
Troll, 'cause I'm big 'n stompy and I love doing security work biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Bodak)
Dwarves for the win. Thermo vision, fitting in small places, being able to buy child's tickets at the cinema, having a huge beard, talking with a fake Scottish accent, resistance to drugs and poisons, and +4 attributes for Priority D ain't bad.

...that was the initial vote I made when I launched this thread.

Not just because of the benefits listed above but also because of the strong affinity I have for tech & mechanics, the fact I grew up & worked in Milwaukee WI (historically known as the "Machine Shop to the World" and which consequently in my campaign world, has a much larger percentage of dwarves than other cities), and of course, a love of good hearty food and drink (elven wine - pah! Give me a good hearty stout you can eat with a fork)

..oh, and yes, the beard. Had it for nearly three decades & proud of it.
Herald of Verjigorm
Now imagine 150 years of beard...
Muskie
Well, wouldn't Elf and Dwarf be impossible, anyway, since they're Born like that?
Honestly, I'd SURGE.
Kyoto Kid
Now imagine 150 years of beard...

...yeah, warms the soul does it now eh?

BTW, Fan Girl, good choice.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Muskie)
Well, wouldn't [edit] Dwarf be impossible, anyway, since they're Born like that?

...yeah, what's your point?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Jul 8 2006, 09:01 AM)
Meh.  Life is too short at 100, but would be waaay too long at 1000, IMO.

Immunity to Age is an easy disease to cure. Bullet, knife, sleeping pills, car exaust, high place, water, take your pick. Not having Immunity to Age is a much greater problem.

Being immortal doesn't mean you can't cack, it just give you greater control over when and where.

Immortal Ork, becuase - damn.
FanGirl
Which choice was good, KK? Defaulting to "dwarf," or naming "halfling or kender" as my preferred metatypes?

I chose the options I did because I tend to strike people as looking and acting younger than my actual age. Whenever people guess my age, they always peg me as being two years younger (I'm 19 now, but I look about 17). I inherited my youthful appearance from my mom (who looks ten years younger than she is), but I certainly didn't inherit her serious nature: I can act pretty childishly, as anyone who knows me can attest. Therefore, I peg myself as being a member of one of the "childlike races," AKA the shorties.

So why am I not an elf? Because elves are elegant, graceful, and eloquent, while I am ill-groomed, clumsy, and rambling. Plus, I just don't have the right figure. smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (FanGirl)
Which choice was good, KK?  Defaulting to "dwarf," or naming "halfling or kender" as my preferred metatypes?

I chose the options I did because I tend to strike people as looking and acting younger than my actual age.  Whenever people guess my age, they always peg me as being two years younger (I'm 19 now, but I look about 17).  I inherited my youthful appearance from my mom (who looks ten years younger than she is), but I certainly didn't inherit her serious nature: I can act pretty childishly, as anyone who knows me can attest.  Therefore, I peg myself as being a member of one of the "childlike races," AKA the shorties.

So why am I not an elf?  Because elves are elegant, graceful, and eloquent, while I am ill-groomed, clumsy, and rambling.  Plus, I just don't have the right figure. smile.gif

...OK soysoapbox time.

Fan Girl, never ever sell yourself short . I will admidt I'm as far from being "Mr Universe" as George Bush is possessing any sense of intellignence, but I still have my dignity and I guess that is what also endears me to being a dwarf.

...anyway, Dwarves got character and class. Elves only think they do.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Immunity to Age is an easy disease to cure. Bullet, knife, sleeping pills, car exaust, high place, water, take your pick. Not having Immunity to Age is a much greater problem.

Being immortal doesn't mean you can't cack, it just give you greater control over when and where.

...or as the saying goes, one thermonuclear warhead can ruin your whole day.
emo samurai
Like I said, I admit that I'm flighty and self-centered. That is the best qualification for being an elf.
nezumi
I'd like to be ork because I could use the body mass, and turning ork is like turning into a cool black dude, but I think I'd likely just stay scrawny white human.

My wife (5'1", 135lbs) said she'd like to turn into a Troll because she's tired of short jokes. Of course, the thought of snuggling a troll and telling her bed time stories is rather amusing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012