Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keeping the Lights On
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BrianL03
I've been working on a Chicago write-up based off the information originally presented in the NAGNA, and I got to the power plants that are based in the Southside, which got me thinking.

Now, I am planning on having these power plants under the control of Exelon, a modern-day power utility giant, but I was wondering what other power companies there are in the Shadowrun Universe, and their relative size.

The two I know of from the Seattle power production side of things are:

-Shiawase Atomics (division of Shiawase, so therefore rather easily spread out)
-Gaeatronics (Salish-sponsored company, so more Pac-Northwest)

And on that matter, are nuclear power plants still operational post-Awakening? It seems that most of them have failed or are no longer functioning.
Herald of Verjigorm
Some nukes were disrupted, but as long as you add a maintenance step to clean out the spontaneous toxic salamanders, you can keep one running nicely.
Dog
I can't think of any others specifically mentioned, but S-K seems a likely candidate.

Oh, and Renraku runs (ran?) the Seattle arcology with nukes, so they're also contenders.

I'd wager that every AAA and most AAs have the means to provide such a service.
Gustave
Imperial Japan owns and operates solar satellites that supply cheap energy. One would assume such cheap, easy methods would dominate the market.
Fix-it
since when is maintaining a sattelite constellation and downlink power sites easier than sticking a bunch of uranium together?
BrianL03
QUOTE (Fix-it)
since when is maintaining a sattelite constellation and downlink power sites easier than sticking a bunch of uranium together?

Probably since spontaneously appearing toxic salamanders became an issue for the maintenance teams wink.gif
hyzmarca
The only thing you really need is an Atom Shaman who can sit in the reactor all day, soaking up the gamma rays and taking control of the toxic salamanders who spontaneously appear. The spirits can be quite useful.
Adarael
Never make the Atom Shaman angry.
You wouldn't like him when he's angry.
nezumi
QUOTE (Adarael)
Never make the Atom Shaman angry.
You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Why? I heard if you threaten him, he just splits.
Cray74
QUOTE (Gustave)
Imperial Japan owns and operates solar satellites that supply cheap energy. One would assume such cheap, easy methods would dominate the market.

Solar power satellites shouldn't be cheap n easy to build, unless you use the wildly optimistic estimates of SPS proponents.

But then, nuclear power plants shouldn't be able to explode, let alone blow past their containment domes.

So in SR, maybe SPSs are cheap. Or the Japanacorps were providing power at a wildly marked down price to undermine the competition while getting the Japanese gov't to subsidize the high SPS costs.
Calvin Hobbes
Native American Nations points out that Aztechnology provides a significant chunk of power to North America.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012