Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DNI mental commands
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Samaels Ghost
I have a implanted commlink. Becuase this implant directly interfaces with my nervous system I may command it using mere thought.

Can someone make complex actions such as editing photos, monitoring electronic conversations and hacking all with only a few mental commands?
Does that mean I can sit quietly in the corner booth of a cafe drinking my coffee while hacking into my target's commlink from across the room, all without looking like i'm doing anything more than daydreaming?
I can have mental conversations with teammates without looking like I'm doing anything more than that?
Are the thought to e-command conversions that accurate now (2070)?

It all seems too perfect. I was just watching GitS and looking up info on it and got the impression that cyberbrains weren't just metal machine implants. They also consisted of brain tissue. I'm not sure how that works but it looks like the Implanted Commlink in SR4 is GitS's cyberbrain sans the memories/personality as data part. You can't hack a person's ghost SR4 but you can hack their functionality. The Major in Ghost in the Shell can hack your cyber brain with out a sign from her physical body. She and her teammates communicate using mental e-mails all the time. Being as GitS is set in about 2029ish I would say that this kind of interfacing would be possible, but what does that mean in game terms?

Also as a side note, would it be plausible for there to be an implanted version of the Skinlink accessory that turns mental commands into personal electrical field signals? That way a commlink and sim module could be worn, commanded by your SkinNet and then disposed of if needed? What's more it would allow for the direct brain-to-device commanding of skinlink enabled devices. Or would an intermediate commlink be required to translate the thoughts? I would think that such a device would already have tranlating capabilities but....

What do you all think?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Can someone make complex actions such as editing photos, monitoring electronic conversations and hacking all with only a few mental commands?

Yes.

QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Does that mean I can sit quietly in the corner booth of a cafe drinking my coffee while hacking into my target's commlink from across the room, all without looking like i'm doing anything more than daydreaming?

Yes.

QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
I can have mental conversations with teammates without looking like I'm doing anything more than that?

Yes.

QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Are the thought to e-command conversions that accurate now (2070)?

They already were in 2060 - running pure DNI when decking was even better than doing it 'manually'.
Crusher Bob
Well, part of this will be a familiarity issue. In that once you have dealth with such devices 'for a while' you will be able to do these things. Don't expect your everage pre-teen (or whatever age you get a datajack these days) to be able to do it, but any adult, with years of experience dealing this DNI machines will probably lose most telltales. Of course, most people will probably still have 'tells' since there is no reason for most people to totally train themselves out of it.

Maybe add a 5? (or less) point flaw, that gives you a 'tell' when you are commanding DNI devices if you really want to model that sort of thing.
Jaid
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Also as a side note, would it be plausible for there to be an implanted version of the Skinlink accessory that turns mental commands into personal electrical field signals? That way a commlink and sim module could be worn, commanded by your SkinNet and then disposed of if needed? What's more it would allow for the direct brain-to-device commanding of skinlink enabled devices. Or would an intermediate commlink be required to translate the thoughts? I would think that such a device would already have tranlating capabilities but....

What do you all think?

yes. it would be plausible. very plausible. so plausible that it is core... it's called a datajack with a skinlink, costs 0.1 essence and 550 nuyen.gif iirc. (500 without the skinlink i think...)
Abbandon
I want to see examples of what you are trying to accomplish so i can see what the hell your talking about heh. It seems like your just over complicating things but maybe there is rhyme to your reason.
Derek
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Well, part of this will be a familiarity issue. In that once you have dealth with such devices 'for a while' you will be able to do these things. Don't expect your everage pre-teen (or whatever age you get a datajack these days) to be able to do it, but any adult, with years of experience dealing this DNI machines will probably lose most telltales. Of course, most people will probably still have 'tells' since there is no reason for most people to totally train themselves out of it.

Maybe add a 5? (or less) point flaw, that gives you a 'tell' when you are commanding DNI devices if you really want to model that sort of thing.

I don't think it would be a flaw to have a tell, more like it would cost points to not have a tell.

Think of it this way; many people talk with their hands when they are speaking. They make gestures, facial expressions, body movements, etc... in order to convey more than just what they verbally say.

Most of those people do the same exact thing when they are speaking on a cell phone, even more so on a hands free cell phone, since they aren't restricted by holding the phone. They nod, they gesture, they smile, etc... even though the person on the other end has no idea of what they are doing. The person doing the gestures generally has little idea that they ae doing it either. In fact, even if they were told they need to stop, and they make an active attempt to do so, most people would still make all the same gestures. It's an ingrained habit that comes with verbal speaking, even when the other party is not in their sight.

My guess is that the same exact thing would happen when the average person is trying to DNI speak. I would even venture to say that the average person would still vocalize, at a quieter, softer level, even when using DNI to speak

Dave
Demerzel
Remember that you'd be basically using AR if you're trying to look normal. (Hope you remembered to get those image links on your cybereyes.) If you're trying to hack his comlink in VR mode you'll look like you're sleeping. That is unless you concentrate on being in the real world, and then you'll have to give up six dice on your sip coffee (2, 1 initiative pass) extended test. I imagine that would look pretty silly, and concentraing on the real world means not concentrating on your hacking a bad idea...

Also as far as tells go, I imagine in AR you'll look like you're reading. See the image of the AR overlay. I'd guess that AR places the windows based on head position so you move your eyes to read a window. Someone in AR would look a lot like they are scanning a floating document. This would be taken care of by the simple expediant of sunglasses, or maybe even protective covers.

All told you are concentrating on a different task, so you would probably look like someone trying to drink coffie while reading a newspaper, they tend to be a little overly cautious with how they reach for their coffee, and how they bring it to their mouths to prevent burns.
Samaels Ghost
Cyber eyes come with image link.

Okay, here's a good question: If a device is DNI shouldn't you be able to take info from it as well? Is it/shouldn't it be a two way street?

---semi off topic---
A sim module can immerse you in Full VR, shouldn't there be a half-VR option? Like projecting AR into your brain to overlay natural sensory input.
In Full VR your natural senses are completely overlayed with heavy and intense sensory information, but you can still see the world if you concentrate. Wouldn't it be possible to turn down the feed or amount of traffic being received from a VR feed to exclude everything but windows and other AROs? I'm pretty sure that it isn't possible according to RAW but it seems logical, right? Having a low simsense feed give you AROs and AR displays? Of course if you were hacked you'd be susceptable to biofeedback but it would be so much more convient than having all kinds of accesories. And way cheaper...
If that were possible why couldn't you feed RL device input into VR (i.e. have the video feed from the camera mounted on your glasses show up off to the side in a little window) and with a low-level simsense feed actually feed video input onto your normal vision (i.e. That camera has thermo and just feeds that video from the camera to your comm to your sim module to your brain!)
Are those uses of Sim sense really that unreasonable? I know implementing any of that would be purely houserules territory but is there an actual flaw in my logic here? Could simsense not work like that?
Phobos
You still have to buy the Image Link with the Cybereyes. It costs 500 nuyen.gif and doesn't take up capacity.

Two-way-communtication is excactly what DNI is about.

Simsense Information can be part of any VR or AR Information. In AR they are (usually) tuned down, in VR they are (usually) full force. You can turn down either to lower levels (or up to higher), but note that you need the simsense feed to 'feel' the Matrix if you want to interact with it in VR (that is, you lose all benefits of VR or Hot VR if you turn down simsense information).
You can open a window with (or directly patch through) any device's information in ether AR or VR. This includes information from your Cybereyes. If you want, you can listen to your Cyberears' data as well in VR ... though it might turn distracting if you do something else simultaniously (either roll if you understood what was said or take -2 on your main action due to distraction).

Still everything plausible enough to be core.
Samaels Ghost
bottom of pg. 332
*Included in the cybereyes basic system

So with a toned down simsense feed why are AR accessories neccesary? You can receive all that information via simsense without the need for peripherals. Is that right? It seems as if this option was not fully considered when writing.... THere are no examples of this type of configuration.

If DNI is two-way then why would you need status reports on your cyberlimbs? There is absolutely no reason to wireless your cyberlimbs...
Samaels Ghost
It seems to say in the book that a Sim Module is neccesary to turn data into thoughts (pg. 318).

But I thought that was the point of having DNI. According to the book I think it has to work like this:

Device --> Sim Module --> DNI --> Brain

But giving mental commands via DNI works like this (pg. 330):

Brain --> DNI --> Device

That seems to be what the book says. That sounds a little counter-intuitive. Does the first orange line only apply when dealing with Simsense data (a.k.a. VR)?
Demon_Bob
The SIM Module allows you to experience the data, To go full VR.

You can still use an implanted com-link without it, but only A.R.

Or does the com-link implant come with a SIM Module?
Phobos
DNI sets up the communications channels.

A Sim Module is a special Device that translates a data feed into simsense signals, which are then transported to the brain via DNI.

You can communicate with any device you're linked to via DNI (directly, or indirectly via your commlink (which acts as a router)) using mental comands.

For a Sim Link to send simfeeds to your brain, it requires a DNI access.

If you don't want/need simsense information, you don't need a Sim Module. You can still transfer other data to and from your brain via DNI. You just don't FEEL (=experience; sensoric, emotive, immersive tracks) it, only see/hear/feel (sensory track) it via Image Link, Sound Link, Touch Link ......

Edit : Nope, an implanted commlink (or any non-implanted) does not come with a sim module. You have to either use an implanted Sim Module or connect one externally (via Datajack or Datajack and Commlink).
Jaid
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
So with a toned down simsense feed why are AR accessories neccesary? You can receive all that information via simsense without the need for peripherals. Is that right? It seems as if this option was not fully considered when writing.... THere are no examples of this type of configuration.

maybe because you don't want to be hacked and sent into full VR in the middle of a fight =D

truth be told, i can't really come up with a good reason why everyone wouldn't just use a sim module... i guess the corps market their glasses and such aggressively or something =P
hyzmarca
Because AR is faster.
Samaels Ghost
This AR overlay via simsense would be on a secure comm (hidden or skinlinked)

@hyzmarca: How is AR faster than simsense?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
This AR overlay via simsense would be on a secure comm (hidden or skinlinked)

@hyzmarca: How is AR faster than simsense?

Wired Reflexes 3/Synaptic Booster 3/Increased Reflexes +3/Improved Reflexes 3 is how.
ornot
Now you're just being twinky, Hyzmarca.
Crusher Bob
Isn't full VR supposed to completely re-map your sensorium and remove your motor control? So you can't really, say, walk down the street an do full VR at the same time, while you can walk down the street and do AR stuff just fine.
Kesh
That's my understanding, yes. Going full-VR is like astral projection: you take leave of your normal senses, allowing the Sim module to supplant them with VR senses.

However, with a Sim module in place, AR systems can trigger sensory experiences. I believe there's a comment in the BBB about AR adverts outside a shop causing those with a Sim module to get virtual "smells" of the perfumes they offer, or something.
hobgoblin
there is allso a comment about emotional tracks. like you feeling love for some product wink.gif
Samaels Ghost
So there is no need for actual AR gear to receive visual AR if things like olfactory AR can be experienced using only a sim module. Hmmmm, it looks like I was right.
That means this "toned down" simsense feed used to receive AR isn't actually VR and so you can hack at meat body speeds (which is pretty fast if you're a munckin.) I'd rather have that +2 hotsim modifier though.
Samaels Ghost
Wait, if I have a implanted commlink I have to have a sim module to receive AR from my commlink, is that right? Just like using a datajack or set of trodes?
In order for my brain to understand the AR input my comm receives it must utilize a sim module to turn it into thoughts, correct?

AR Data paths:
THE MATRIX! <--> commlink <--> Sim Module <--> Trodes (DNI) <--> My Brain

THE MATRIX! <--> commlink <--> Sim Module <--> Datajack (DNI) <--> My Brain

THE MATRIX! <--> commlink <--> Sim Module <--> implanted comm (DNI) <--> My Brain

THE MATRIX! <--> commlink <--> AR Accessory <--> Sensory Organ <--> My Brain

I think where I was confused is that the implant version of the commlink doesn't neccesarily enable me to experience AR data directly from the matrix. I was thinking this:
THE MATRIX! <--> implanted comm (DNI) <--> My Brain

I would still need periphrals like glasses to interpret the data. However the sim module does allow me to experience AR data without periphrals (like in the third line above). In order for me to receive, interpret and interact with AR data without moving a muscle and without accessories I need BOTH a DNI and Sim Module. There, isn't that right?
Samaels Ghost
Oh, and for anyone who cares I found that passage that states that simsense can be used in lieu of AR accessories. It's on Page 209. The same paragraph that Kesh and hobgoblin were talking about. It says that partial simsense feeds are used in projecting AR into the brain, just like I had supposed it worked before.

Thanks everyone for being patient and answering my looney questions. Think I've got this all straight now.
hobgoblin
just want to say that a implant comlink comes with a sim module...
deek
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
just want to say that a implant comlink comes with a sim module...

Where do you see that?

On page 330, it says nothing of the sort under implanted commlink. Seeing that an implanted sim module is an option under headware, I think that shows an implanted commlink is just a commlink and you have to add the sim module separately.
Serbitar
Its in the matrix section, where they explain VR. (dont have the book with me, so no page numbers, sorry)
booklord
In the equipment section when they talk about the sim module they say that you still need some method of getting the translated simsense data to the brain. Methods include trodes or a direct neural interface ( datajack, implanted commlink )

Why would the sim module equipment description say that a sim module can use an implanted commlink to communicate simsense to the brain if the sim module was already included in the implanted commlink?

That just don't make sense.

I really don't think the implanted commlink comes with an already included sim module.
deek
Neither do I. I haven't found anything in the book to support that claim...
Abbandon
I know im the last person anybody wants to see on this thread but heres my input lol:

First of all an implanted commlink does NOT come with a sim module by default. It has its own price, its own essense cost, and its own capacity. If you stick the stuff in a cyberlimb then you dont pay essense. It doesnt have to be in your head just inside your body so it has DNI.

I guess if you dont have cyberlimb you could stick it anywhere that you have extra capacity like an eyeball or ear. Isnt there any cyber for the head that gives capacity?? There isnt in the sr4 book.

Commlink+sim mod ---> implanted comm is just a way to get the signal to your brain without using trodes or datajcks.
deek
QUOTE (Abbandon)
I know im the last person anybody wants to see on this thread but heres my input lol:

First of all an implanted commlink does NOT come with a sim module by default. It has its own price, its own essense cost, and its own capacity. If you stick the stuff in a cyberlimb then you dont pay essense. It doesnt have to be in your head just inside your body so it has DNI.

I guess if you dont have cyberlimb you could stick it anywhere that you have extra capacity like an eyeball or ear. Isnt there any cyber for the head that gives capacity?? There isnt in the sr4 book.

Commlink+sim mod ---> implanted comm is just a way to get the signal to your brain without using trodes or datajcks.

As for implanted headware (more specifically commlinks and sim modules), the way I read the rules are that you can't just drop headware anywhere in the body, using essence or capacity. Headware goes in the head, costing essence, or can be placed in a cyberlimb, costing capacity.

Based on that, poping a commlink in a cybereye, using capacity, is not an option. My interpretation, along with other opinions on this board, have cybereyes and cyberears only using their capacity for enchancements on the same table. The capacity ratings are not global, so that Rating 4 Cybereye, with 16 capacity, does not allow you to just cram a bunch of headware into it, only cybereye enhancements.
booklord
I'm pretty sure that cybereye and cyberear capacity can only be used by eye and ear enhancements respectively.

Can anyone back me up on that?
Abbandon
Well i wont argue with where you stick stuff with essense. But i dont see why it would make a difference with capacity. DNI signals from a cybereye to your brain are no different than DNI signals from a cyberarm to your brain.

Another thing with implanted comms and sim modules is that they each take up space. One doesnt fit in the other.
deek
QUOTE (Abbandon)
Well i wont argue with where you stick stuff with essense. But i dont see why it would make a difference with capacity. DNI signals from a cybereye to your brain are no different than DNI signals from a cyberarm to your brain.

Another thing with implanted comms and sim modules is that they each take up space. One doesnt fit in the other.

True...but just let's take this example, from personal experience as I had a player ask this question:

Cybereye Rating 4, 16 capacity.
Cyberfoot, 4 capacity.

Implanted commlink at 2 capacity and implanted sim module at 2 capacity (all from the book).

Even if you take away the fact that the book explicity says that headware with a capacity rating may be added to cyberlimbs for the cost of capacity (notice it did not mention eyes or ears, just limbs), let's just use common sense.

A foot, can hold just the two headware devices (comm and sim), giving IMO a rough size feel for what they must be. If capacities were equal, you could cram 4 times the amount of capacity-based cyberware into your eye, compared to a foot...it just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree that DNI signals are DNI signals, regardless of where in your body they are. But, I think there is enough evidence supporting the fact that only eye/ear enhancements can be put in cybereye/ears, nothing else. The book only mentions headware capacity-based cyberware fitting in cyberlimbs, if you choose, not anything else.

And, just the comparison between a foot and an eye, using common sense, leads me to believe you just can't use those Rating 4 cybereye's capacity for anything other than eye enhancements...

I would say you keep capacities only inclusive to the same table they appear on unless specifically stating otherwise...
booklord
SR4 pg. 228

The sim module is a commlink accessory that you access with a datajack or trode net.  Simrigs (both worn and implanted) and cranial commlinks also contain sim modules.

Well I'll be hog tied and stuck on a spit.
It is in there!

SR4 pg.318
A sim module must be accessed via trodes or a direct neural interface ( datajack, implanted commlink, etc. )

It sure makes it seem like the sim module is still needed.

The biggest problem with SR4 is that you almost need a place like Dumpshock to understand the rules. They could have made this easier!

Fine then. Adding to booklord's list of house rules......
"The implanted commlink does come with the sim module already included even though it implies otherwise in the Equipment section."
Samaels Ghost
Why is there a implanted sim module then!!! that makes no sense!!!
Abbandon
My book doesnt say anything about cranial commlinks after the simrig.
booklord
Well in theory I guess a hacker type could be constantly upgrading his commlink and figures he doesn't want the inconvience of it being located in his skull every time he wants to upgrade the repsonse chip.

The sim module on the other hand isn't likely to change in the next few years or so why not put it in the skull for safe keeping?

( Best excuse I can come up with )

My book doesnt say anything about cranial commlinks after the simrig.

It's a direct quote from the book. Which printing are you reading from?
Abbandon
corrected third printing ?
booklord
I got a first printing.

Your book actually says "Simrigs (both worn and implanted) also contain sim modules" on page 228? and no mention made whatsoever about cranial commlinks?

If so this wasn't listed as a change in the Erratta.

If true then ...wow. ( and not the good "wow" but the bad "wow" )

Abbandon
yeah what you got in parenthesis is exactly how that sentence ends. In the simrig section for commlinks it says that simrigs have built in sim mods and under bodyware it just refers back to the commlink simrigs. Cranial comms are never mentioned.

An implanted commlink w/out a sim mod would let you hook all your shit together without the possability of being hacked and sent into VR or something??

DireRadiant
P. 228

"A simsense module is required to access full VR. Th e sim
module is a commlink accessory that you access with a datajack
or trode net. Simrigs (both worn and implanted) and cranial
commlinks also contain sim modules."

Version 1.3

The errata lists no changes for the text to page 228.
hobgoblin
ok, time to freak out. my SR4 dead tree copy do not have the "and cranial
commlinks" part eek.gif

and i have a second printing...
and from what i recall, the second and third printing use the same text...

this is just nuts...

memo to self then, implant comlinks do not come with a sim module.
Serbitar
we already found this stealth nerfing issue in the german forums. but as the 1.3 pdf does have the sentence in it, it is the one that is right, as it is the newest version.
hobgoblin
it may have allso shown up here earlier...

as for whats correct, i dont have a clue. isnt 1.3 the one thats supposed to be inside the second printing and onwards?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012