Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on whips
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BRodda
I'm trying to create a magicians path PA that has Frog as his totem. Trying to figure out the stats for a plain old normal whip.

OK. Now comes the tricky part. I then want to take that whip and have the stuff they use on gecko gloves on the last 2 ft of it with a switch in the handle of the whip. I'm hoping that the end product can go through MADs, but I won't be heart broken if it can't. How much do you think a custom job like this would cost.

Why does it seam that the new 4th ed system makes creating new stuff kind of hard. Just trying to get some feedback before I approach a GM.
James McMurray
It's no different then creating new stuff in prior editions, except that the books for some things aren't out yet.

I don't have a book handy so I have no idea on the price, but you should probably get it installed as an Oral Weapon. smile.gif

Convert from SR3 or wait for the 'ware book for SR4.
BRodda
Definitely not an oral weapon. However I can see using it to pull guns out of people hands, or if I really wiz, pins out of grenades.

That an using it with 4 levels of Great Leap I can use it to swing and as a grapple of sorts.

I wish I could find stats on Frog, but every old sourcebook and web resource I've checked has returned nothing =(
James McMurray
A true follower of Frog would make it oral. wink.gif
ronin3338
Yeah, but it'd be real hard to understand you with a sticky-tipped bullwhip in your mouth... biggrin.gif

Mff um mfm.
What?
Mff um mfm!
I don't unders...(thwack) Oh, you wanted me to drop my weapon.
hyzmarca
Oral whips retract into a small canister under the tongue, I think. With a little practice it isn't any more awkward than talking with a piercing in there.
fool
Oral whips also had a very limited range (reach of -1 I think.)
If you're trying to be realistic, you shouldn't really need to make the whip with gecko stuff to disarm people, whips wrap around stuff, just go watch any old Indiana Jones movie. Hiowever, the gecko stuff would certainly give you extra dice or reduce the threshold to disarm someone etc.
Frog totem- +2 d to health spells (the liottle fraggers are alomst impossible to kill) and +2 d to swimming or gymnastics rolls (players choice at character creation), -1d to combat spells.
BRodda
@fool

Thanks for the Frog stats. Is it based on any particular totem?

Also for the whip, I just figures that that gecko stuff would make for more interesting stunts and I'm just hoping that the GM will allow me to take adhesion as an adept power.

@ hyzmarca
Not to keen on having cyberware in my adept. Besides I'm going for someone from the Barrens, trying to keep all my equipment to under 5K, and most of that is stuff you can get off of Lone Star.

Debating having a com-link. I don't think my character would have one, but I think it will make group play much more hard.
James McMurray
A super cheap commlink is too useful not to have. Even folks in the barrens would have them if they could afford or steal them. Nothing makes a craptastic life in the ghetto more enjoyable then a shiny new pair of shoes, some bling, and the latest iteration of Grand Theft Auto (AR version of course).
ronin3338
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Oral whips retract into a small canister under the tongue, I think.

You're right, probably some kind of memory wire to make it coil back.

However, what was mentioned was a "normal" whip, and I still stand by my statement that it'll be hard to understand you with that in your mouth.

Just being silly... nyahnyah.gif
Geekkake
QUOTE (James McMurray)
A super cheap commlink is too useful not to have. Even folks in the barrens would have them if they could afford or steal them. Nothing makes a craptastic life in the ghetto more enjoyable then a shiny new pair of shoes, some bling, and the latest iteration of Grand Theft Auto (AR version of course).

GTA: Metropole just recently hit the shelves to critical acclaim and enormous sales.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Play GTA? If you're in the barrens go play the RL version!

But I totally agree, even the crappiest commlink is a great advantage. It would be like not having a cell phone, or house phone, or email, or snail mail, or IM or ATM card or a drivers license or passport, etc. With out one, you're pratcially an off the grid mountain man. Not to mention the communication ability with team mates.
Geekkake
The communication-with-teammates aspect is absolutely paramount. If the character started without a commlink, the rest of the team would no doubt just buy him one immediately.
Dr. Dodge
A SR3 whip did (STR)L damage, with a reach of 2. i haven't done any damage converting from SR3, but i'm sure someone around here has.
Moon-Hawk
Just fine something else that does (STR)L damage in SR3, like a knife, and say that the SR4 whip does the same damage as an SR4 knife.
Um, a knife did do (STR)L damage, didn't it? Not a dikoted cougar fineblade long knife or anything, just a little knife, like a throwing knife?

edit: On second thought, that would probably be kind of a crap conversion. Really, a whip should have poor AP, right? So probably a poor DV (comparable to a knife), but probably with worse AP, but it's got reach 2 and would make a darn cool weapon!
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jul 11 2006, 04:33 PM)
Just fine something else that does (STR)L damage in SR3, like a knife, and say that the SR4 whip does the same damage as an SR4 knife.
Um, a knife did do (STR)L damage, didn't it?  Not a dikoted cougar fineblade long knife or anything, just a little knife, like a throwing knife?

edit:  On second thought, that would probably be kind of a crap conversion.  Really, a whip should have poor AP, right?  So probably a poor DV (comparable to a knife), but probably with worse AP, but it's got reach 2 and would make a darn cool weapon!

AP +2, (str/2)+1DV, reach 2 sounds reasonable to me.
Apathy
QUOTE (Dr. Dodge)

DV sounds good, but I think it should be stun damage instead of physical. Otherwise how will you survive the carribean campaign where the pirate captain ties you to the mast and gives you 40 lashes?
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (Apathy)
QUOTE (Dr. Dodge @ Jul 11 2006, 06:12 PM)

DV sounds good, but I think it should be stun damage instead of physical. Otherwise how will you survive the carribean campaign where the pirate captain ties you to the mast and gives you 40 lashes?

i had similar thoughts, but it was physical before, so i kept it that way. guess the ol' cap'n has to pull some punches.
Moon-Hawk
Well, giving someone 40 lashes is not a combat situation, so using the combat rules to resolve it isn't really appropriate. In combat, the attacker is trying to strike vital spots and kill (or at least cripple) the defender, who is actively trying not to be hit. Wish lashes, the attacker is aiming for pretty much the least vital/crippling spot on the body. (from a whip. Obviously being hit on the spine with a hammer is an entirely different story) And the defender is not dodging at all. It's not remotely like combat, so it should probably just be resolved as: 40 lashes. Soak DV 6 or whatever.
Hmmm, this raises an interesting question: How many lashes per DV? How many lashes does it generally take to kill someone? I figure it's probably a lot, but do I know about lashes?
fool
40 lashes could be enough to kill someone. It was/is certainly not something to scoff at.
As far as the stats for the frog totem, Just made them up off the tip of my tongue wobble.gif For a long time in SR3 I wanted to make up some more types of totems.
One that I want to run in the near future is the squirrel totem... +2 to manipulation spells, +2 to gymnastics and -1 to combat spells.
Moon-Hawk
Hmm, maybe a good rule of thumb would be 5 lashes / DV. That puts 40 right on the edge of what could kill someone. Actually, I guess if we're rounding up then it would take 41 lashes, but whatever. 60 would be downright likely to kill someone. Plus, 5 is a nice number and I would bet that lashes are generally handed out in increments of five, anyway. "Give the scallawag 37 lashes" just sounds odd.
It's probably not perfect, but it sounds good enough to me, and has definitely already had entirely more effort put into it than it probably deserves.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012