Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your favorite shows,
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowDragon8685
Of course, feel free to discuss anyone else's favorite shows, too.

I'd nominate three shows...

Law & Order. I love this show. It's simply the most awesomest show ever. Unfortunately, it will not survive into the Sixth World, because of the breakdown of actual law and order into a for-profit enterprise.

Mythbusters. I would truely be surprised if this one DIDN'T survive. They'll have to add a mage or two to the staff, but this show is simply the awesome. Testing out all those urban legends, of which the sixth world will have created plenty, will still be quite entertaining, especially when they blow stuff up afterwards.

COPS. This one's pretty good, innit? It'll probably have been replaced with STAR, but the premise will be the same. Camera-armed (and well-armoured) camera teams going on patrol with Lone Star cops.
James McMurray
The Shield: This will definitely survive, but could become a documentary rather than a drama.

Doctor Who: It's lasted this long, it'll last another 60 years in off and on spurts.

The Daily Show: Will people ever stop pointing out when politicians do stupid stuff?

M*A*S*H: This will still be in syndication. It's just that good.

The Simpsons: as more and more dysfuntionalism enters family life, the need for a show that says "things could be worse" and makes you laugh your ass off at the same time will become even more popular.

It Takes a Thief will still be on, but it will transform itself into It Takes a Shadowrunner and off small corporations security upgrades after totally annihilating their defenses to show them how vulnerable they are.
CountZero
CSI - Especially with the addition with the addition of mage or shaman or two to the crime lab team, and the addition of forensic magic. There will still be CSI: Miami (I don't have Runner Havens yet, but from what I have heard and understand, Miami's underworld hasn't changed too much, and there's still a lot of drug smuggling coming through there - the Ghost Cartels would have a pretty strong presence there). New York and Vegas would probably be off the air, replaced with CSI: Seattle, and perhaps CSI: Denver.

I would think Law & Order would still be on the air, just in and adapted form - as there would still be District Attorneys, and they'll still need to work with Lone Star (or whatever company has the contract to enforce the law in a certain city). So, it will work, but with a changed formula.

ER - The name may change and the cast will probably change, and the characters will work for DocWagon instead of an hospital as we see them, but the show will endure. There will always be a demand for Medical Shows.

24 - They may have to find a replacement for Jack Bauer, but there will still be on TV, an operative for the UCAS's Counter-Terrorism Unit who is having a very, very, very bad day.
toturi
Very, very LOST. Except this time, there's magic and giant awakened animals.

Survivor: SOX

Renraku Idol, Shiawase Idol, UCAS Idol, CAS Idol... With Damien Knight going,"That is the worse performance I have ever heard in my life" and William Hung-and-quartered going,"I did my best, I have no regrets."
Omer Joel
Firefly hasn't even survived to this day, so I doubt it will ever be continued - which is a shame; I loved that series frown.gif

Dark Skies, on the other hand, is probably going to come back big time once the whole Bug debacle happens - this time the enemy won't be extraterrestrials, but a deep Invae conspiracy.

4,400 is going to get outdated by Shadowrun's 2011. VERY outdated.
Sahandrian
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
COPS. This one's pretty good, innit? It'll probably have been replaced with STAR, but the premise will be the same. Camera-armed (and well-armoured) camera teams going on patrol with Lone Star cops.

Actually, I've had a show called "The Star" show up in my games when people say they're watching trid, sometimes. Yeah, it's pretty much COPS. But it tends to be a bit more exciting, cause when's the last time you saw the police try to take down a rampaging troll or stumble across a group of runners on a botched job on COPS?

Survivor could go nuts with the current enviroemtn in SR.

I expect there'd be another Star TRek spinoff, too. And probably the latest low-budget sentai series from Japan, as well (how many different Power Ranger series have there been now?)...

But if you want actual favorites... if it was on TV within the last 4-5 years, I didn't see it unless someone put it on YouTube or Google Video. So I'm not entirely sure what's survived to today.
ShadowDragon8685
A Runner team on a bitched mission knows better than to let witnesses live, especially witnesses with recording gear.*

Wonder what Mythbusters will be like in 2070?

*A lie. Actually, what they do is confiscate all the copies, shoot the cops, and mind fuck the witnesses into believing someone else did it.
The ubbergeek
I wonder how would look a later remake of Lodoss War in the world of Shadowrun...
Leviathan
Wow, what's the James Bond of 2070 going to be like...
Calvin Hobbes
My prayer is that news pundits of 2050 and beyond are armed loonatics who engage in celebrity wars like rappers.
SL James
QUOTE (Leviathan @ Jul 16 2006, 09:07 AM)
Wow, what's the James Bond of 2070 going to be like...

Haven't you read Games of State in SOTA64? That's pretty much the James Bond conception of espionage. As opposed to, you know, reality.

QUOTE (Calvin Hobbes)
My prayer is that news pundits of 2050 and beyond are armed loonatics who engage in celebrity wars like rappers.

Echo that.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Calvin Hobbes)

Find an old copy of Shadowbeat, I'm fairly sure "Investigative Reporter" is a Runner Archtype in that book.
nezumi
That 70's Show - It has a completely new meaning now, doesn't it?
Knight Rider - Just because
Platinum
QUOTE (nezumi)
That 70's Show - It has a completely new meaning now, doesn't it?
Knight Rider - Just because

If you have knight rider you need Air wolf reincarnated with panzers.
Birdy
If we get back the two shows:

+ Will Domenic Santini be a grumpy old dwarf?
+ Is Archangel an IE?
+ Will Michael Knight be an Orc or a Human?
+ Is Damien Knight the Founder of F.L.A.G?
+ Is KITT still smarter that his driver?

Oh and if we get those two shows, could we please also get the:

United Network Command for Law and Enforcement?

back into service?

Otoh I fear that we will keep:

Big Brother (Surely renamed: Big Sibling due to PC reasons)
JAG
Numerous casting shows
Platinum
Casting shows or reality shows?

The amazing shadowrun.

Who wants to be a shadowrunner?

Shadowrun or No Shadowrun.

So you think you can run?

America's Top shadowrunner.
Birdy
Oh, another show that might re-surface:

"A man, barely alive. Gentleman, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

So we get the 6 Million Nuyen Man fighting against the evil Shadowrunners....
Jrayjoker
Cyberzombie, the next 6 million nuyen man...
FlakJacket
QUOTE (SL James)
Haven't you read Games of State in SOTA64? That's pretty much the James Bond conception of espionage. As opposed to, you know, reality.

Well it's not like most people would really be all that interested in running a game that stuck pretty closely to how they actually operate in reality would they? So they went the cinematic route.
nezumi
The Running Man, with your host Damon Killian!
James McMurray
I gotta go with FlakJacket on this one. SR is so far divorced from reality in so many ways that having superspies act like a normal spy would act might actually hurt suspension of disbelief. You could get to a point where you think "but shouldn't the super spy be doing x?" where x is a completely unrealistic but highly cinematic alternative to the normal way of doing things.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (nezumi)
That 70's Show -  It has a completely new meaning now, doesn't it?

..."that elf babe Donna is hot!"

---Kelso
Tanka
QUOTE (Omer Joel)
Firefly hasn't even survived to this day, so I doubt it will ever be continued - which is a shame; I loved that series frown.gif

Me too. And that actually wraps it up, because I don't watch TV due to the fact that it's a bunch of incredibly stupid crap.
Neruda's Ghost
I always pictured "UCAS funniest videos" still showing on late night trid.

You get to see the guy hit in the nuts with a football, followed by the shadowrunner that sets off an explosive too early (along the CLUELESS FILES).

Fun for the whole family!
Neruda's Ghost
Oops, that's the C.L.U.E. Foundation
Lagomorph
Pimp my ride would probably make it nyahnyah.gif
James McMurray
Pimp My Drone and the spinoff Pimp My Persona.
stevebugge
I could see some variant of Dog the Bounty Hunter being around, new character sameconcept maybe with a bit more gratuitous violence.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (SL James)

Well it's not like most people would really be all that interested in running a game that stuck pretty closely to how they actually operate in reality would they? So they went the cinematic route.

Ah, the old James Bond Style cinematic espionage to prevent the escapist players from getting bored while annoying the hardcore realists trick. That's the second time this month.
SL James
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (SL James)

Hm. Maybe I just have a chip on my shoulder because in a feat of monumental stupidity, Synner said (not suggested, said) my espionage games were James Bond-esque as opposed to realistic, which is how I use them (Espionage and the Shadows was written as a primer on specifics related to my overall campaigns). Not only has that thoroughly pissed me off to the point of blind rage, but ... Come on? The cinematic route isn't just stupid. It's lazy. God forbid the GM puts some fucking thought into a run/campaign.
ShieldT
QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 16 2006, 02:30 AM)
Very, very LOST. Except this time, there's magic and giant awakened animals.

There's not already? grinbig.gif

Okay, Planet's Funniest Animals will degenerate into a pool of slime with shapeshifters being bribed to do some of the most amazing stunts.

Animal Candid Camera will be born, simply to preserve honesty in the medium, and have a short and honest career, until a passing dragon interrupts a day of filming and is promptly offered a full partnership.

"What are your qualifications for the term 'Animal'?" the dragon asks, preparing to be offended.
"Do you want a job?" the producer asks, knee deep in the muck of the location they're filming at.
"You're avoiding the question."
"Do you want a job?"
"...Yes."

The original show will split into Paranormal Candid Camera (Punk'd for spirits, sentient paracritters and dragons) and Critter Candid Camera (nonsentient stuff like flame jackals) and they will hire outside help for some of the more outrageous set-ups.
Beaumis
Hm, favourite shows. Nr. 1 would be nowhere man but that one got canceled already so I guess it's a no go. Would rock with Magic tho, they already went deep into cyberware'ish stuff.

Close second would be CSI. But I sure hope it doesnt survive that long. Firstly because with all that it would suck suck suck and second because runners wouldnt stand a chance with every little punk knowing everything about crime scenes.

Third would be Scrubs and this one will survive, I tell you. I for one will never get enough of dorians inner monologues.
SL James
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Law & Order. I love this show. It's simply the most awesomest show ever. Unfortunately, it will not survive into the Sixth World, because of the breakdown of actual law and order into a for-profit enterprise.

This is a joke, right?

I mean... Sure. The cops are close because most cops eventually become (and relish being) living, breathing cliches. But the plots are contrived and unoriginal, the second half is predictable, unrealistic, and simple-minded. The characters are one-dimensional (although, see above), and the dialogue is crap.

But, sure. I guess aside from that it is "awesome."
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Beaumis)
Close second would be CSI. But I sure hope it doesnt survive that long. Firstly because with all that it would suck suck suck and second because runners wouldnt stand a chance with every little punk knowing everything about crime scenes.

It wouldn't because CSI isn't exactly realistic. Overlooking the basic fact that the CSIs in that show are one step away from being Street Judges due to the cast compression necessary in a 1-hour weekly show, forensic science is used as a contrived plot device that produces whatever the plot needs. Most of the forensics depected on that show is absurdly accurate, quite a bit is incorrect, and some is downright impossible.

BookWyrm
CSI would become CSI-m, following a newly-assigned Forensic Mage at the Lone Star Seattle division.

Of course, Knight Errant would produce their own version, ala NCIS & Crossing Jordan, maybe titled Spirits of Crime ?

COPS could become Tac-Sec, produced indipendently & featuring various law-enforcement teams from various security firms. Half a season would feature the street-patrols of each security firm.

If I think of any others, I'll edit this & post them.
Catsnightmare
Fear Factor might make a comeback, with paracritters, magic and stuff added to the mix.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 15 2006, 06:06 PM)

This is a joke, right?

I mean... Sure. The cops are close because most cops eventually become (and relish being) living, breathing cliches. But the plots are contrived and unoriginal, the second half is predictable, unrealistic, and simple-minded. The characters are one-dimensional (although, see above), and the dialogue is crap.

But, sure. I guess aside from that it is "awesome."

You. DIE!

*SL Jame's computer blows up.*

And yeah. I always hated CSI. They loved the gross-factor too much, and their forensics are a bit... Questionable.
SL James
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
Fear Factor might make a comeback, with paracritters, magic and stuff added to the mix.

There was a show mentioned in Shadowbeat that was, for all intents and purposes, Fear Factor. The idea, it seemed, was that in 1989-90 when the book was written only by 2050 would society be sick and depraved enough to watch such crap. Unfortunately, they underestimated how sick and sad people are.
Beaumis
It wouldn't because CSI isn't exactly realistic. Overlooking the basic fact that the CSIs in that show are one step away from being Street Judges due to the cast compression necessary in a 1-hour weekly show, forensic science is used as a contrived plot device that produces whatever the plot needs. Most of the forensics depected on that show is absurdly accurate, quite a bit is incorrect, and some is downright impossible.

True, but everyone would think they can catch the runner with some work. This fact alone would make for bigger investigationsand bigger demand to catch the bad guy instead of the "cut your loses" apathy that allows runners to survive.
Security personel couldnt care less wether or not the runners have been caught since their honor is tarnished anyway and they wont be the ones who do the catching. The guys who do the catching want a quiet day and a hot dog. The guy who gives the orders to the catchers has already written off the loses and is busy to keep his fun bunny a secret from his wife. But when the investor walks up to them and asks wether or not they caught the bad guys, sees this and complains cuz "he knows fuckin forensics" his imagination is the one that needs to be pleased because he can pull out his money anytime.
Granted this is a one time scenario. I might actually make a plot from this. Sounds like a fun way to let them sink deep into it once again without the usuall "Mr. J. fucked you over bad" routine.

I have to agree that CSI's forensics are weird and painted pink in that show, but I still enjoy the suspense. Quite honestly, it's one of the few shows where I dont know who's the bad guy from 5 minutes in and that alone keeps me watching.
Snow_Fox
I keep going back to Mythbusters think of the possiblities for a run- "I don't want people to know this can be done, make sure the myth is busted" etc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012