Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Drake Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FlakJacket
Don't have the chance to search through Dragons and Threats, I think it was, so a little help would be greatfully appreciated. Aside from the +1 Reasction and +1D6 Initiative, do they receive the benefits of Astral Armour and Improved Senses powers when in human form? IIRC, one of the in-character descriptions has them 'shrugging off' a spell - but that's just in-character stuff - so I'm unsure. Thanks. smile.gif
Pistons
It could be argued not. Where it talks about a drake's magical skills, the book (DotSW) says:
Drakes can cast spells, conjure and/or use their adept powers (and all other magical skills and abilities) while in dracoform. Drakes with ability to astrally project can do so in either form.

That, coupled with earlier on the same page:
The attributes given here are for average drakes in dracoform; individuals may have different attribute ratings and powers. Drakes in human or metahuman form use their own statistics (note that true drakes in metahuman form have an Essence of cool.gif.

... seems to imply that they're limited to the dracoform only. Threats 2 may contradict this (in the rules, not the fiction); I don't have it on me right now to check. This is seperate from full or adept magician abilities they may have developed (in the case of someone discovering that they are a drake, for example).
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Pistons)
That, coupled with earlier on the same page:
The attributes given here are for average drakes in dracoform; individuals may have different attribute ratings and powers. Drakes in human or metahuman form use their own statistics (note that true drakes in metahuman form have an Essence of cool.gif.

... seems to imply that they're limited to the dracoform only. Threats 2 may contradict this (in the rules, not the fiction); I don't have it on me right now to check. This is seperate from full or adept magician abilities they may have developed (in the case of someone discovering that they are a drake, for example).

Well, it's weird. Lesser Dragons (read: not Greats) don't have Metahuman Form as a power. Great Dragons use Metahuman Form as a Sustained power (read: no cost to sustain). Since Metahuman Form costs nothing, GD's can use their GD powers in that form. Drakes also have Metahuman Form.

I don't think there's an across-the-board interpretation about this.
El_Machinae
I'm 84% sure that you need to be astrally projecting to benefit from astral armour. Dual natured creatures get no intrinsic benefit from the power.

In addition, I remember being confused about the armor. Didn't one book give them armor, and the other didn't?

PS: You know you've been on the Sci-fi forums too long when you see a "Drake" posting and assume it will be about the Drake equation.
KosherPickle
QUOTE (El_Machinae)
I'm 84% sure that you need to be astrally projecting to benefit from astral armour.  Dual natured creatures get no intrinsic benefit from the power.

In addition, I remember being confused about the armor.  Didn't one book give them armor, and the other didn't?

You do need to be astrally projecting to use it. When applied to Drakes, this seems moderately insane, since not all Drakes have the ability to astrally project.

They have astral armor in both books. What they have in Dot6W that they didn't have in Threats 2? Enhanced Senses (Enhanced Smell) and Metahuman Form.
El_Machinae
No, I mean actual armor. A slash after the body rating, you know? 8/5
KosherPickle
QUOTE (El_Machinae)
No, I mean actual armor.  A slash after the body rating, you know?  8/5

Ah, yes. Threats 2 gave them armor, and Dot6W did not. I'd side with Threats 2, because drakes are hosed if they don't have natural armor.
Stormdrake
DO6W breaks drakes down into "True" drakes and "Bred" drakes.

"True" drakes get the following powers:
Astral Armor
Enhanced Senses (Smell, Low-light & thermographic visoin, wide band hearing)
hardened Armor
Innate Spell (Flame Thrower)
Magical guard
Magical Skills
Metahuman Form
Regeneration

"Bred" Drakes get the following powers:
Astral Armor
Enhanced Senses (Smell, Low-light and thermpographic vision, Wide band hearing)
Innate Spell (Flame Thrower)
Metahuman Form
Some have magical skills or adept powers.

The authors suggest that player characters only be allowed to play "Bred" drakes. They also mention that "True" drakes are tied to their creators and unable to disobey
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Stormdrake)
DO6W breaks drakes down into "True" drakes and "Bred" drakes.

Errr...I'm pretty sure FlakJacket, El Machinae, and myself all knew the difference. Bred Drake stats are based off the Drake stats from Threats 2, so the only comparison of interest is the Drakes from Threats 2 versus Bred Drakes from Dragons of the Sixth World.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012