Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character creation challenge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moon-Hawk
The title says it all. Make a viable shadowrunner without spending any BP on the core 8 attributes. I'm going to go ahead and say special attributes are okay, though. Of course, a viable character that spends 0 points on the special attributes gets double secret bonus points. We all know you can't spend more than 50% of your BP on attributes, but can you spend 0%?
Have fun.
Cleremond
You would have to raise the Char Gen BP cap on gear. With no BP limit on gear, I could make a fairly decent character that is just biowared to the max without spending any points on attributes. He'd have only 1 Edge though. Let me see what I can come up with.

Oh, does the 0BP in attributes also apply to the character's race? I.e. Does the character have to be human?
Moon-Hawk
No, since attribute points gained from race aren't counted against the normal 200BP-on-attributes-cap, they don't apply here. That's spending BP on race, not on attributes.
Not changing the limit on gear. I suppose you could post it, and I'm sure it would be cool to see, but I want to see if it can by done by the RAW.
X-Kalibur
I just tried really quickly at it and it looked really silly. I ended up with just about every skill group at 4, and the stats that could be raised by cyber/bio pretty good. I didn't purchase any gear though because I had no idea where to go with it.

Orks and trolls make the most logical sense for this challenge of course.

All this is going to get you really is THE jack of all trades type character because you just have too many points to dump into skills, and even after that, they have tons to dump into contacts.
James McMurray
Willpower is going to be a huge problem. Mages will eat you alive.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Willpower is going to be a huge problem. Mages will eat you alive.

Use dwarf then, then you are immune to magic *runs and hides*

But really, you've got extra BP... take the magic immunity advantages.
Moon-Hawk
Hmmm, that's a good point. With no BP metas will give pure bonuses and no drawbacks. Maybe this would be better if it were done with a human.
Or maybe it's not possible.
James McMurray
Then you're in trouble when it comes time to be healed. frown.gif

A physical mage with counterspelling and a counterspelling focus could be nice. You won't be casting a lot of spells unless you like the feeling of drain, but you could definitely make up for the lost willpower with counterspelling dice.
Lagomorph
The design I'm working on will be human.

Actually I have a few different ideas, but we'll see what I can come up with when I get home to a book.
Samaels Ghost
This looks fun! Good idea Moon-hawk! I'll pitch in one too.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Then you're in trouble when it comes time to be healed. frown.gif

A physical mage with counterspelling and a counterspelling focus could be nice. You won't be casting a lot of spells unless you like the feeling of drain, but you could definitely make up for the lost willpower with counterspelling dice.

Heck, even got Mystic Adept and put that 1 magic point (unless you really want to buy a higher magic score sleepy.gif ) into the magician side. saves you 5 BP... not that you'll NEED it or anything.
James McMurray
Doh! Physical Mage, Mystic Adept. Potayto, Potahto. smile.gif

If you don't buy up your magic you're pretty limited as far as getting any ware goes, as you'll drop to 0 magic as soon as you get anything, and won't be able to use any magical skills. It would be eve more of a challenge to make the character with no magic, bio, or cyber. smile.gif
Redspork
Cakewalk, just buy 4 schweet commlinks, load up pilot on three of them. Mix in some autosofts, the right programs, and a coupla drones, use the piloted commlinks to control drones for you. Bam, viable character just through gear, no base stats needed.
James McMurray
And as soon as your drones are destroyed you're out of the game. If the run didn't pay you enough to replace them you may be out of it permanently. Drones in SR4 are much more fragile than they were in prior editions.
Edward
I am a troll hacker riger.

I live a high lifestyle in the south of France with a cute eleven Sharman nurse (4/1 contact, wages come from lifestyle) to look after my traitor body and weal me out onto the patio. I am a paraplegic, have several annoying allergies and am unusually susceptible to diseases. (35 BP in flaws)

I have all the edges cyber wear and bio wear that helps cope with IC, dumpshock and anything else that can attack me threw the matrix. I have a 5/3 mechanic contact in seattle that maintains my drones and I do all my work threw a satellite link to an old satellite I went to great pains to convince it could not work out where I was transmitting from.

I have several comlinks all the best money can buy with brutal agents and programs. My drones stored in Seattle are the best you can get with upgraded programming to rating 5.

There we have a very effective hacker/rigger with no BP on stats.

hyzmarca
One-Shot the Combat Mage

Troll
Mystical Adept

Body: 5
Agility: 1
Reaction: 1
Strength: 5
Charisma: 1
Intuition: 1
Logic: 1
Willpower: 1

Edge: 6
Magic: 5
Initiative: 2
Essence: 6

Qualities
Quick Healer
Astral Chameleon
Guts
SINner

Adept Powers
Magic Power: 5

Spells
Manabolt
Manaball

Active Skills
Cybercombat : 3
Electronic Warfare : 3
Hacking : 3
Climbing : 4
Gymnastics : 4
Running : 4
Swimming : 4
Disguise : 4
Inflitration : 4
Palming : 4
Shadowing : 4
Computer : 3
Data Search : 3
Hardware : 3
Software : 3
Spellcasting (Combat):5 (+2)
Counterspelling: 5

Knowledge Skills
UCAS Politics 2
Economics 2
Profesional Wrestling 3

Comlink
Commlink: Meta Link
Response Upgrade (5)
Signal Upgrade (5)
Firewall (Rating 6)
System (Rating 6)
Trodes
Sim Module Modified for BTL/Hot Sim

Drones
Aztechnology Crawler (Small)
Steel Lynx (Large) x3
Shiawase Kanmushi (Microdrone) x4
Lockheed Optic-X (Small)
MCT-Nissan Roto-drone (Medium)
GM-Nissan Doberman (Medium)
S-B Microskimmer (Microdrone) x2
Lone Star iBall-Off (Minidrone) x2
CrashCart AutoDoc (Large)
MCT-Nissan Roto-drone (Medium)
Renraku Stormcloud (Medium) x2

Targeting (Weapon) Autosoft (Rating 6)
Maneuver (Vehicle Type) Autosoft (Rating 6)
Electronic Warfare Autosoft (Rating 6)
Clearsight Autosoft (Rating 6)

Equipments
Electronics Tool Kit
Mage Sight Goggles
Spellcasting Focus (Rating 3)
Autopicker (Rating 6)
Keycard Copier (Rating 6)
Flashlight
GPS

Contacts
Vernon (L:2 C:2)
A generic fixer known for setting up wetwork jobs.

Mom (L:3 C:3)
One-Shot's human mother. She is active in the pro-metahuman civil rights lobby and has several political connections. She occasionally uses her son's services to remove rivals.

Mira Rose (L:1 C:1)
Character's one-again off-again girlfriend. She is an untrustworthy and violent Pink-haired dwarf with a personality sort of like Joy from My Name is Earl on crack.
She is usually involved with various illegal get-rich-quick schemes.

One-Shot's name comes from the his tendancy to overcast combat spells and then fail to resist the drain. He'll kill his target in one shot or else. Over time, he has turned this criticism into a slogan and a motto which his uses when marketing himself for wetwork asignments. He uses his hacking skills and drones to suppliment his limited magical ability.
One-Shot possess a degree in Economics from Devry University but found himself unable to acclimate to corporate life.
Moon-Hawk
Very nice, hyzmarca. I like that. It's a clever concept.
Cleremond
Hehe.....Nice....Here's mine:

"Chance" LaFeatte

Metatype : Troll
Mundane

Attributes
Body: 5
Agility: 1 (3)
Reaction: 1 (5)
Strength: 5
Charisma: 1 (3)
Logic: 1 (3)

Edge: 1
Initiative: 6
Essence: 2.32

Knowledge Skills
French : N
English (Speak) : 2
Military (Special Forces) : 2
Biology : 1

Active Skills
Climbing : 4
Gymnastics : 4
Running : 4
Swimming : 4
Blades : 4
Clubs : 4
Unarmed Combat : 4
Navigation : 4
Survival : 4
Tracking : 4
Disguise : 4
Inflitration : 4
Palming : 4
Shadowing : 4
Computer : 2
Data Search : 2
Hardware : 2
Software : 2
Heavy Weapons : 4
Pistols (Revolvers) : 4
Automatics (Assault rifles) : 4
Longarms (Sniper Rifles) : 4
Dodge : 4
Perception : 4
Pilot Ground Craft : 4

Positive Qualities
Magic Resistance 4
Will to Live 2
Guts

Negative Qualities
Bad Luck
Allergy com/mod (Ornicalcum)

Cyberware
Wired Reflexes (Rating 2)
Reaction Enhancers (Rating 2)
Datajack
Image Link
Smartlink

Bioware
Muscle Toner 2
Tailored Pheromones 2
Cerebral Booster 2

Weapons
Ares Alpha Assualt Rifle w/Smartgun Link (intergral), Airburst Link, Gas-Vent 3 System, and Shock Pad
Spare Clips For Ares Alpha (42-round mag) w/ Ex-Eplosive Ammo (x6)
Ruger Super Warhawk w/Smartgun System, internal
Concealable Holster
Speed Loader For Ruger Super Warhawk (6-round loaders) w/Gel rounds (x6)
Speed Loader For Ruger Super Warhawk (6-round loaders) w/Regular ammo (x6)
Flash-Bangs for Ares Alpha attached grenade launcher (x5)
Fragmentation grenades for Ares Alpha attached grenade launcher (x5)

Armors
Clothing (Chic)
Camouflage Suit w/Chemical Protection (Rating 6), Fire Resistance (Rating 6), Insulation (Rating 6), and Nonconductivity (Rating 6)
Armor Jacket w/Chemical Protection (Rating 4), Fire Resistance (Rating 4), Insulation (Rating 4), and Nonconductivity (Rating 4)

Vehicles
Harley Scorpion (Chopper)

Commlinks
Commlink : Novatech Airware w/OS : Iris Orb & Sim Module Modified for BTL/Hot Sim
AR Gloves
Subvocal Microphone
Tag Eraser
Analyze (Rating 4)
Browse (Rating 4)
Edit (Rating 4)
Encrypt (Rating 6)
Reality Filter (Rating 4)
Scan (Rating 4)
Virtual Pet (signaled from coded RFID chip in Ruger Super Warhawk Revolver)
Virtual Person (signaled from coded RFID chip in Ares Alpha Assault Rifle)
VR Game (x2)
Sim Recording (expensive, x2)
BTL Recording (expensive, x2)

Other Equipment
High Lifestyle (1 month pre-paid)
Certified Credstick (Silver)
Certified Credstick (Standard)
Fake License (Rating 4, for Ares Alpha Assault Rifle)
Fake License (Rating 4, for Ruger Super Warhawk Revolver)
Fake SIN (Rating 4)
Fake SIN (Rating 2)
Fake SIN (Rating 2)
Glasses w/Low Light Vision, Flare Compensation, Vision Enhancement (Rating 3), and Vision Magnification
Earbud w/Audio Enhancement (Rating 3), Select Sound Filter (Rating 3) and Spatial Recognizer
Climbing Gear
Rappeling Gloves
Grapple Gun
Stealth Rope (per 100 m)
Catalyst Stick
Survival Kit

Contacts
Fixer (L:2 C:4)
Physical Therapist (L:2 C:2)
CAS Military Sergeant (L:1 C:2)

Background
Parker Lafeatte was born in the southern biyous of Louisianna in 2044. His UGE manifested at the VERY early age of 4, so much of his life was spent growing up troll. Parker was dim witted even by troll standards and he had the reflexes and physical prowess of a dead swamp tree. But most of this was to blame on is family and their failure to properly nuture him as he grew. SINless, and pretty much kept isolated from the rest of civilization, Parker's family had no idea how to deal with his goblinization and they resorted to keeping him locked up in their outside tool shed for most of his yound life. He was beaten and tortured many times. Finally, using tools inside the shed, he was able to make his escape never to return.

More or less a wild animal, parker lived in the swamps and became rather adept and surviving in the wild, despite his physical and mental limitations. His instincts to survive took over. Making his way north east, he soon found himself on the outskirts of Moblie, Alabama. He would creep into town and feed from resturaunt garbage cans in the alleyways of the sprawl. The owner of an itallian resturaunt who's cans Parker had raided numerous times, called his neighbor, a local CAS Reserve Special Forces Army Sergeant, to investigate and potentially deal with "The Creature".

Parker was apprehended by the Sergeant and due to his feral nature was deemed a perfect candidate for a military project the Sergeant was involved with. Parker was taken to Fort Rucker, Alabama where he entered a CAS Military program to "recondition" him. The purpose of the program was determine just how far CAS Military technology and training can take a soldier. More accurately, how close to the bottom of the barrel could the CAS Military scrape for recruits. At the age of 14, Parker was the perfect candidate.

Parker underwent extensive cyberware and bioware modifications, extensive physical therapy, accelerated education and socialization classes, and an elite military trainging regiment. After 6 years of CAS Military Special Forces training and indoctrination, Parker finally began to realize his place in the world. He began to feel like he belonged. He discovered his own sense of worth. He mattered. But due to cost overruns and budgetary cutbacks, the program was cancelled, and Parker was mustered out of the CAS Military as quickly as he was brought in. Now a Warrior with no war to fight, Parker made ends meet by hiring out his services as a body guard to who ever would hire him, but due to his limited size and ability, found himself being hired by rich school kids to beat up local bullies, more often than not.

In 64' the Matrix crashed and Parker's CAS Military SIN and records evaporated over night. SINless, Parker took this opportunity to disappear into the shadows. He fell in league with a local fixer in Mobile, Alabama in 2065 and, under the street handle "Chance" has been shadowrunning ever since.

"Chance" is a lonely troll with no true friends to speak of. To make up for this, he has purchased and configured a virtual person ("Rita") for his commlink, coded off a modified RFID tag on his trusty Ares Alpha assault rifle, that he can interact with on a surprising level of realism. He has also done something similar with a virtual pet program and his Ruger Warhawk revolver.

QUOTES

Rita (Virtual Person) - "Chance.....why are you so wiz?
Chance - "I don't know Rita, I just am

Lagomorph
Okay, here's my character. Who after 400 BP still has all 1's for stats, no stat enhancing cyber was taken.

Oh, this was done on an excel sheet auto character thing, so any bad math is it's fault nyahnyah.gif

CODE
Name:Timmeh
Race: Human
BP: 400

Attributes (75BP)
B 1
A 1
R 1
S 1
C 1
I 1
L 1
W 1

Edge 8
Ess 3.3

Qualities (+0 BP)
Lucky
Infirm

ActiveSkills (260BP)
Armorer 4
Automotive Mechanic 4
Biotech Skill Group 3
Cracking Skill Group 4
Electronics Skill Group 4
Gunnery 4
Influence Skill Group 3
Perception 3
Pilot Aircraft 4
Pilot Anthroform 4
Pilot Ground Craft 4

Cyber/Bio ( :nuyen: 144500)
Commlink
Datajack
Sim Module, Hot Sim Modified
Bone Lacing, Aluminum
Cybereyes IV - Capacity 16
 + Ocular Drone [6]
 + Smartlink [3]
 + Thermographic Vision [2]
 + Vision Enhancement III [3]
 + Low-Light Vision [2]
Control Rig
Platelet Factories
Mnemonic Enhancer II

Gear (:nuyen:125)
Helmet
Glasses

Commlink (:nuyen:93200)
Fairlight Caliban + Novatech Navi, Upgraded to 6/6/6/6
Analyze 6
Browse 6
Command 6
Edit 6
Encrypt 6
Reality Filter 6
Scan 6

Armor 6
Attack 6
Biofeedback Filter 6
Data Bomb 6
Decrypt 6
ECCM 6
Exploit 6
Medic 6
Spoof 6
Stealth 6
Track 6

Contacts (15 BP)
Nurse C1 L4
Mechanic C2 L3
Fixen C3 L2

Notes:
Has :nuyen:10,675 left, to buy clothes, and a drone

Timmeh was born trying to kill himself, with his umbilical cord wrapped around his neck cutting off oxygen to his brain for close to 3 minutes. No child should have survived that, but some how he was brought in to the world. His life since then hasn't been much better, being a child of renraku janitors, he was neglected and often left alone only with the Trid to keep him company. His lucky break came one day during a Renraku PR stunt, as he was made as an example of giving even the most disabled people a chance to be a productive contribution to society. Given an implanted comm and memnonic enhancers among other tools, he was able to take schooling and learn a trade of controlling drones for factory use.

Well, the PR stunt worked it's course, and he was soon left to obscurity, and eventually the prejudice of the other workers forced him to leave his only job. Back into his room again, he started finding (usually unscrupulous) people online who would continue to teach him new skills with out the prejudice of his physical body. With his new found skills and abilities, the thought of being locked in the dark room with the trid was too much to bear, and he made his way through the arc, and out to the outside to find something or anything. What he found was that he had nothing, and thats all that he needed.
Cleremond
Hahahaha! TIMMEH!!

I like how he was born trying to kill himself. Just goes to show, nature finds a way.

Hehe....I like how all these characters have some sort of medical personnel as a contact.

I would like to see a whole team of shadowrunners created under these condictions and then play an actual game with them and then see how many of them make it.

We are pretty close to having a whole team right now with the characters posted here.

Fun stuff.

biggrin.gif
Lagomorph
haha, yeah, they sure seem to need medical attention. I've got one other idea that I'll probably build after lunch. (Its slow today at work).

edit:
Hey Cleremond, How did chance end up with tailored pheremones? Doesn't seem like something the military would use, unless they used it to cover up his normal smell dead.gif
Cleremond
Yeah Lag, for the smell. That was my thought process anyway. All them years living in the swamps doesn't just wash off with a shower.

After looking back over him closely...he's not really THAT bad of a character. He's on par with most skilled human shadowrunners, except for the lack of Edge, inuition, and willpower.
Lagomorph
I could see it now

Guard 1: *sniff sniff* hey, does it smell like roses?
Guard 2: Yeah it does kinda.
Troll: GRAAAAAH! DEATH FROM ABOVE!
irdeggman
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Okay, here's my character. Who after 400 BP still has all 1's for stats, no stat enhancing cyber was taken.

Oh, this was done on an excel sheet auto character thing, so any bad math is it's fault nyahnyah.gif

Any chance you could e-mail me that excel sheet?

I've been playing with one of my own and the process is real slow and painful.

e-mail: irdeggman@cox.net

Thanks
Cleremond
Irdeggman,

CLICK HERE!!
irdeggman
QUOTE (Cleremond)
Irdeggman,

CLICK HERE!!

Thank you.
zeb.hillard
I thought this was interesting, and wanted to add my own little tinkering creation. I'm doing this solely from work with a character generator for numbers, so I'm not exactly sure of the numbers, but I think he's at least...somewhat...viable.

Michael Wonte "Die"

Body: 1
Agility: 1
Reaction: 1
Strength: 1

Charisma: 1
Logic: 1

Edge: 2
Essence Remaining: .2

-

Armorer: 4
Automatics: 4
Climbing: 4
Close Combat Skill Group: 4
Cybertechnology: 4
Demolitions: 4
Dodge: 4
Etiquette: 2
Exotic Melee Weapons: 4
Gunnary: 3
Gymnastics: 1
Heavy Weapons: 4
Infiltration: 1
Intimidation: 4
Longarms: 4
Perception: 4
Pilot: Ground Vehicle: 3
Pistols: 6
---Heavy Pistol Specialization
Running: 4
Swimming: 4
Thrown Weapons: 4

---

Renraku Security Procedures: 6

---

English: N
Japanese: 6

---

Former Renraku Employee
Connection 4/Loyalty 4

Fixer
Connection 2/Loyalty 1

---

Ambidexterous (5)
Aptitude: Pistols (10)
Will to Live III (15)

Bad Luck (20)
Incompetent, First Aid (5)
SINner, Criminal (10)

---

Cyberarm, Obvious (x2) - Alphaware Grade
Strength +4, Body +4, Agility +3, Armor 2

Cyberleg, Obvious (x2) - Alphaware Grade
Strength +4, Body +4, Agility +4, Armor 2

Cybertorso, Obvious - Alphaware Grade
Body +4, Armor 2

Skull, Synthetic - Alphaware Grade
Armor 2

---

53,900 Nuyen of Miscellaneous Gear including armor, commlink, and fake licenses.

----------------

Michael Wonte was the son of a second-generation Japanese-UCAS family working for Renraku in the late 2040's, and had always fantasized about working for the elite Red Samurai. Unfortunately, a horrendous 'training accident' left him living off of respirators and cyberware. When his parents signed his body over for the advancement of science, they had no idea what the company was planning on.

Unfortunately, his will to live was far stronger than the devious and corruptive influence of cyberware put into him by Renraku.

The first attempt at creating a Cyberzombie, Michael possessed a considerable amount of cyberware enhancing his form and keeping him functional, however he did not push the edge to the point that Renraku had wanted, and his program was shelved after several months of testing. They could always take people that were at the peak of their physical form, after all, and modify them to possess greater than human potential...why waste time on someone that was almost dead anyway?

Michael in his augmented body was forgotten until Deus shut down the Arcology. With his life-force all but gone, he was able to quietly escape from the death-trap and make his way into society...and he has been barely existing as a bodyguard in some capacity or another, relying on his heavy combat training during his time serving Renraku...and now only hopes to bring them down completely now that he is free.
Lagomorph
The full cyber replacement character was the next one I was planning to make, but never did. Nice character story smile.gif
zeb.hillard
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
The full cyber replacement character was the next one I was planning to make, but never did. Nice character story smile.gif

My main worry was that I wouldn't be able to fit all the cyberware on him and still eek in under the essence cap, but thankfully with Alphaware, I was just barely able to. Unfortunately, he'll have to rely on goggles and equipment to do the job most normal 'samurai' do with their cyberware enhancements.

And alas...no multiple initiave passes. I couldn't start off with a 1 Edge and keep him a human, so unfortunately I don't qualify for the super-secret bonus points, but I didn't try and make up for it with the Bad Luck neg. quality.
Lagomorph
For init passes, you can use drugs like jazz or nitro, or if you need to really go fast, and your GM rules the drugs stack, you could take them both.
zeb.hillard
Very true, and it is what will most likely be done.

I think I just created my newest NPC for the game I'm running. *Ponders*
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (zeb.hillard)
I couldn't start off with a 1 Edge and keep him a human, so unfortunately I don't qualify for the super-secret bonus points, but I didn't try and make up for it with the Bad Luck neg. quality.

Bah. You put zero points into edge, and are human. That qualifies for the super-secret bonus points.
zeb.hillard
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Bah. You put zero points into edge, and are human. That qualifies for the super-secret bonus points.

In the famous words of Soccer Announcers...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!

rotfl.gif
Lagomorph
rotfl.gif
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Cleremond)
I would like to see a whole team of shadowrunners created under these condictions and then play an actual game with them and then see how many of them make it.

We are pretty close to having a whole team right now with the characters posted here.

I think we've actually got a full team now, we could actually run a forum game of these characters. I'm not sure if thats scary or hilarious though eek.gif
zeb.hillard
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
I think we've actually got a full team now, we could actually run a forum game of these characters. I'm not sure if thats scary or hilarious though eek.gif

I would have to say, if anything, it would be entertaining.
Hrm, it'd also mean I'd have a reason to finish out his equipment list.

The possibilities...yes indeed. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012