Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ork Rigger Critique Requested
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Suitcase Murphy
Firstly, I don't have the BBB on me. I did everything from one of the CharGen Excel sheets around here, and my memory of the RAW is shaky so for all I know, I've gotten a few things that I'd never need. Also because I don't have the book, I don't actually have any vehicles purchased. Without customization options though, that's hardly the most important part of a rigger, I feel. I've got plenty of money left over anyway.

So yeah, I've got a preliminary build based on a background I wrote (Long, and in first person - I'll put it up here if requested but right now I'm just gonna put an OOC summary up.) However, I don't know if I've stretched myself thinner than I need to in certain things. I'm not trying to twink this to hell - I don't know that I'd bother with an ork rigger in the first place if that was my goal - but if I've got some stuff on here I don't need in the slightest, etc., I figure everyone bored enough to look over someone else's sheet can help me optimize it.

Thanks a lot, and without further explication:
Granite (working name only, 400 BP)
Ork (-20 BP)

Attributes (-210 BP)
Body 4 (-20 BP)
Agility 3 (-20 BP)
Reaction 5 (-40 BP)
Strength 7 (-40 BP)
Charisma 2 (-10 BP)
Intuition 3 (-20 BP)
Logic 4 (-30 BP)
Willpower 3 (-20 BP)
Edge 2 (-10 BP)

Skills (-124 BP)
Blades 2 (Spurs +2) (-10 BP)
Computer 2 (-8 BP)
Electronic Warfare 3 (-12 BP)
Etiquette 1 (Street +2) (-6 BP)
Hacking 4 (-16 BP)
Hardware 3 (Maglocks +2) (-14 BP)
Infiltration 3 (-12 BP)
Negotiation 3 (-12 BP)
Perception 4 (-16 BP)
Pilot Ground Craft 4 (Wheeled +2) (-18 BP)

Knowskills / Languages (0 BP)
Lone Star Road Tactics 4
Secure Parking Lots 3
Security Systems 4
Ork Underground Geography 2
Gargoyle as Totem 2
Ork Thrash 3
English N
Or'zet 3

Qualities (+20 BP)
Magic Resistance I (-5 BP)
Spirit Bane - Air (10 BP)
Weak Immune System (5 BP)
Addiction, Moderate - Alcohol (10 BP)

Contacts (-16 BP) (Connection / Loyalty)
Mechanic (3/2)
Fixer (4/2)
"Used Car Salesman" (2/3)

Resources (-50 BP)
Armor Jacket 900
Armor Vest 600
AR Gloves 250
Sim Module, Modified for HotSim/BTL 250
20 Stealth Tags 5
20 Security Tags 100
Micro-Transceiver (Rating 4) 800
Jammer, Area (Rating 4) 2,000
Tag Eraser 150
Hardware Kit 500
Goggles 50
+ Flare Compensation 50
+ Image Link 25
+ Thermographic 100
+ Vision Enhancement III 300
+ Vision Magnification 100
Earbuds 10
Autopicker (Rating 3) 600
Cellular Glove (Rating 3) 600
Maglock Passkey (Rating 4) 8,000
Fake SIN (Rating 4) 4,000
Miniwelder 250
Monofilament Chainsaw 300
Total Cost: 19,040

Cyberware
Control Rig 10,000 (0.5)
Datajack 500 (0.1)
Retractable Spurs 1800 (0.30)
Wired Reflexes I 11,000 (2.00)
Total Cost: 23,300
Essence Remaining: 3.10

Commlink Stats (Price not totalled immediately b/c with the Excel sheet it's a pain)
Response 5
Signal 5
System 7
Firewall 6

Price Totals / Software
Transys Avalon 5000
1 pt. Response Upgrade and 1 pt. Signal Upgrade 5000
Novatech Navi 1500
3 pt. System Upgrade 600
3 pt. Firewall Upgrade 600
Browse 3 - 150
Command 6 - 600
Edit 6 - 600
Encrypt 6 - 600
Scan 3 - 150
Decrypt 6 - 6000
ECCM 3 - 1500
Exploit 3 - 1500
Spoof 3 - 1500
Stealth 3 - 1500
(Vehicle / Drone Software)
Clearsight 3 - 600
Defense 3 - 600
Electronic Warfare 3 - 600
Maneuver (Ground Craft) 4 - 2,000
Targeting (Heavy Weapons) 4 - 2,000
Total Cost of Commlink + Upgrades + Software: 32,500

This leaves me with 168,160 nuyen.gif to go into vehicles and vehicular weaponry, as well as perhaps a bit more gear because I ran out of space on the spreadsheet: probably, just a few more fake SINs and some licenses.

Background time:
Granite is an ork, and he grew up in the Seattle Underground. He was the oldest son in a family of five - father, mother, him, middle brother, youngest sister. His parents are deceased. His brother is presumed alive, but his exact whereabouts are unknown. Currently, he is a shadowrunner with specialties in compromising security systems and rigging.

As a child, he learned the "family trade" from his father, a smalltime car thief. From an early age he partnered with his old man learning how to bypass the neccessary systems to get control of a vehicle and move it to a friend of the father, a shady used car salesman with a moderately well set-up operation to repaint the cars and remove them of identifying information (RFID etc.,). His younger brother also attempted involvement in this business, but it was not a field in which he was talented. His younger sister worked with his mother, who cooked at a small stand in the Underground.

His mother died of illness when he was 15 years old, and his father passed away a year later: he was 16, and his brother 14, and it was at this time that his younger brother Awakened, hearing the call of the totem Gargoyle.

Using the money he had earned and saved, he got his brother a place in something like a high-rise apartment building that was to the young shaman's liking, though because the family was SINless, it was hardly in the best part of town. His brother, Rouen, found magical mentors and quickly became a capable shaman, soon turning to simple shadowrunning work rather than handouts from his sibling, initially as astral overwatch for locations unlikely to have significant magical defense and later as a more vital part of the team. Several years passed, during which Rouen was advancing as a shaman and Granite, though he did not yet go by this name, was becoming quite capable at his own trade. During this time, also, the two of them grew very close, often spending nights on Rouen's home's rooftop, watching the city below; Rouen would talk about what Gargoyle told him, about how the city itself was a living thing. Granite grew to adopt this philosophy for himself and came to understand his brother and his relationship with the night and the spirit and the city quite well.

Thus, when Rouen came back acting oddly after a run that brought him into Glow City, Granite noticed. The two of them had never discussed work but he dug on his own, suspecting that a teammate might have died, but this proved not to be the case. Rouen's strange behavior was most profound when the two of them talked again, though this was a somewhat rarer event now. His attitude and philosophy seemed to have made a full reverse. Soon thereafter, Granite began recieving phone calls from strangers asking about Rouen, alias Chimera, and more digging lead him to Glow City and the realization that the little kid he'd grown up with was now a toxic shaman.

Not able to stand knowing that Rouen was now working against everything he'd believed in, as well as much the thief himself had come to believe, he faced his brother personally, bringing him down and turning him in to the DIMR for the bounty on toxic shamans in Dunkelzahn's will. He believed this an option preferrable to killing his brother, especially as he feels the DIMR is more likely than anyone else to find a cure for toxicity. Nonetheless, his actions, as well as his choice of career, alienated him from his sister. They haven't spoken in years, but to the best of his knowledge she used the fallout from the Crash to set herself up as being a legitimate citizen who lost her SIN and she currently works at a Stuffer Shack. He believes she has even made her way up to a management role. As a result of his battle with his brother, air spirits - Rouen's choice element - have a particular distaste for him, but the magic resistance that let him narrowly win at all also lets him survive this. He began drinking heavily after losing his brother, thinking it would be a safe escape as opposed to BTLs, but he's become an alcoholic.

He put some of his bounty from the capture of his brother into various charities, and the rest into the equipment that set him up as a full-time Shadowrunner, a "job" which he has continued in for a number of years before (game start date/the time of this sheet).

Another note: He doesn't have a gun, or any gun skill - my theory with this was to reflect the idea that as someone with a more street level background, guns might be a rarity, whereas knives are not and from spurs to knives, especially with some period of time in the real business, is not such a huge leap. Obviously he could afford guns now but he's not a fighter, he is strong, and the only sound a spur makes is the last SNIKT you ever hear that no one else will.

So, if anyone would care to give me some thoughts - particularly on the sheet, which I'd like to strengthen - I'd really appreciate it. Again, if anyone wants to see the storytelling version of that background, LMK.

Thanks again!
Cleremond
I really dig your background.

The "Used Car Salesmen" wouldn't happen to be named Nick Harrison would it. *grins evilly*

I like characters that are not "GUNS GUNS GUNS". It opens the way for some really good roleplaying opportunities. I've always given greater rewards to players that talk their way outta trouble than just blow everything up.

Your background is intriging, but instead of "Air" spirits, it makes more sense to have "Toxic" spirits be your nemesis as a result of you bringing one of their shamans down.

For rigging, you might want to invest in some drone piloting skills (anthroform and aircraft). Couple that with some gunnery skill and you can have drones that have weapons in them to do the shooting for ya. But I see that your more of a carjacker type guy, so your lack of these skills make sense.

For your comlink, you have enough cash and a beefy enough system rating to go ahead and purchase all the standard programs at rating 6 and then maybe bump up some of the hacking progs to rating 4 or even 5. Your Stealth program should be as high as you can buy it up to the max allowable availability rating. Medic Program is also a good buy.

You also might want to add some audio enhancements to your earbuds. Maybe even some fireproofing, insulation, and non-conductivity enhancements to your armor jacket.

Overall I really dig the character. Good job.
DireRadiant
When buying drones remember you'll have to bump the system and response up so you can upgrade to pilot 4. From a base price of 5k a good drone will quickly rise to cost anywhere up to 50k when you add all teh software and sensor suites.
Casper
You spent to much on attributes.
Lagomorph
Edge was added into his main attributes, he didn't spend too much.

Nice character!
Casper
oops.
Lagomorph
lol I made the a similar mistake yesterday >_<
Suitcase Murphy
Thanks for the tips everyone! Let's see:

I didn't remember if Toxic was a valid option for spirit types on Spirit Bane. If it is, I'll switch that at once, but my recollection was of just the four elemental types. I figured that the quality would be meant to earn its points by making you the enemy of a spirit type everyone at least could use. But as toxic spirits are especially nasty, having them not like you is, of course, especially bad.

I couldn't justify getting anthroform or aircraft at as high as ground craft, obviously, but the bigger thing is that I wanted to make sure I had 50 points for resources because I've built riggers before and needed that much. With that, I'd just plain run out of points. As far as drones go, though, I'm figuring that for the surveillance needs I can buy them some decent autosofts and leave it on autopilot. I'm imagining that most of the time, the vehicles that'll need a full VR operation are gonna be the big ones with wheels rather than the tiny flying robo-bugs.

As for everything else - program enhancements and drone sensor suites - I'm gonna wait until next weekend when I get back home to deal with that, because then I can use the book.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012