Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rigger Murphy's
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tzeentch
Here's one I submitted to the new Murphy's Rules artists. It's an oldie but a goodie, let me know if the errata fixed it!

MUST BE THE FUEL ADDITIVES
In the Shadowrun supplement Rigger 3 (FanPro) it is possible to design a
diesel-powered sports car that can reach Mach 1 by using turbo-charged
engines and drive-by-wire.... it can go really fast if you add nitrous
boosters and customize the engine!!

Rules: Take smart materials and Drive by Wire 1, so you can get 25% more
maximum speed. So you get a max speed of 500. Take eight turbo-charging
levels - Max is increased to 620 km/h. With full power (150% of max speed)
you get 930 km/h. Without engine customization!

With nitrous oxide injects you can get 250% of the max speed, 1860 km/h! And
THEN take the customization...

Herald of Verjigorm
A) the speed is in meters/turn, not kilometers/hour; your highest mentioned speed is actually less than 1550 kph

B) the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters/second or 1029 meters/turn; your pre-nitro speed is a little short

C) I dare you to take a sharp turn in that thing
Digital Heroin
Tweaked a bike up to about 550 m/combat turn once... was ashamed of myself...
Corywn
QUOTE (Tzeentch)
With nitrous oxide injects you can get 250% of the max speed, 1860 km/h! And
THEN take the customization...[/i]

Um...just to clarify, my interpretation of the way Nitro works is it enables you to exceed your Top Speed by x2.5 instead of x1.5 as normal. So I'd suggest taking engine customization beforehand, so you don't have to deal with the potentially impossible TNs to install the customizations.
Tzeentch
Lesse. Diesel Sports car.
Chassis DP: 125
Base Speed: 240
Max Speed: 400
Design Points: 90

Drive-by-Wire 1
Increase Speed 10% (applied after all design options)
Design Points: 218.75

Smart Materials
Increases Max Speed 15% (to 460)
Design Points: 100

Turbo-Charging 8
New Base Speed: 360
New Max Speed: 575 (I think, cue unclear rules on p. 126)
Design Points: 540

Speed Increase 272
Design Points: 544

Vehicle Speed: 632 (474 mph)

There's probably a much more efficient way of doing this.
Athenor
Lesse... I'm gonna acknowledge the power a diesel engine can put out, especially if you combine it with a few turbochargers, perhaps a jet turbine, and so on and so forth -- I should know, I live here in Cat Central, and I know how powerful thse monsters are. If you were to take one of those engines, compress it enough to fit in a sports car, and so on, you probably could make a car that would need spoilers the size of aircraft wings to stay on the ground.

However, I wish to point out a flaw in this vehicle: It's all pre-customization. Meaning it has been made by a factory, perhaps for a specific reason. Therefore.. one must consider the cost. And I'm only gonna calculate that, although I could bring up stress and vehicle tests and the full stat block.. but for now... =)

I am taking your math on good faith; it is obvious from your sig that you revel in munchkinizing the Rigger 3 rules, no? So why should I question the math of such an individual? Therefore, we get to the design points spent: 1617.75. Yup.. Many will find you can build almost milspec on that much. The sports car chassis has a mark-up factor of 1, so that doesn't change anything. However, as this is obviously a prototype, it should have an additional mark-up of either 2 or 3 -- to be fair, I'll calculate both.

(realize I am using R3, not revised, so if any calculations are changed, forgive me.)

Design points - conservative = 3235.5 points. Final cost: :nuyen:323,550. Street index = 2, Availability 17/17 days.

Design points - full-up: 4853.25 points. Final cost: nuyen.gif 485,325. Street index = 3, Availability 25/25 days.

TBH, I'd also apply some milspec in there too, just to represent that this is not a "standard" chassis, even for a sports car. These numbers also do not represent anything beyond the chassis and engine -- tires, handling, acceleration, seating, and other customizations to fortify the body/armor are not present.

And just for reference: The power of a collision at that speed would sit somewhere around 64... no matter how you slice it. At that level, I would instantly consider it to be one deadly collision, neh?

*sighs* Yes. Rules can be bent over and beaten until they are raw. My question is simple: WHY? I've always asked this... It is a tradeoff between realism and flexability... nad in R3's case, flexability won, while allowing for as much realism as possible. Is that so wrong?

Athenor
Athenor
For completeness, after consulting the R3r errata, the availabilities should be changed:

Conservative = 21/21 days
Full up = 35/35 days.

If your player can roll up those numbers, more power to 'em. And again, this is before any other mods. Have fun. =)

Athenor
Sceptic
From the R3 errata:

p. 195 Power Plant Table
The Sports Car entry under Diesel Engines should actually be under Jet Turbines (p. 199).
Tzeentch
Actually I don't particularly revel in doing anything with Rigger 3. It became a bit of a train wreck. I'm pretty happy with some of the rules fixes though (I wrote the new collision rules I should note). The supersonic car was actually pointed out to me by another individual about oh... 2 years ago I think. It's actually on the old DS forums if someone has it archived.
Athenor
Thanks, Sceptic. Guess I should've checked that to begin with -- makes more sense. wink.gif

Athenor
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Tzeentch)
Vehicle Speed: 632

Still 397 short of the sound barrier.
Corywn
QUOTE (Sceptic)
From the R3 errata:

p. 195 Power Plant Table
The Sports Car entry under Diesel Engines should actually be under Jet Turbines (p. 199).

And being a Jet Turbine, it actually can't receive the Turbine modification...
Modesitt
The errata kind of fixed part of it. Since the diesel sports car engine is supposed to be under jet turbine(I like to think of the bat mobile for this), it can't have nitros added to it. You can do the same thing with a gasoline engine though.

Frame: Sports car
Engine: Gasoline
Pertinent things for top speed: Smart materials for +40 more possible speed, +150 speed for 310 speed before anything else.

If your mechanic happens to be God or a close relative of his, you can take a total of 7 levels of Engine Customization for +203 speed. If you instead calculate from the post-smart materials top speed(You can interpret the rules on engine customization to mean you calculate maximum improvement based on pre-smart materials or post-smart materials speeds), you can scrape up +233 speed instead, which requires 8 levels of engine customization. So we're either up to 513 or 543, depending on how you interpret the rules.

Slap on one level of Nitrous Oxide Injectors but keep in mind, you should add nitros post-creation. It costs 5,500 nuyen at creation and 3,500-post creation for level 1 nitros.

Now we have turbocharging. Because you're just aiming for maximum speed and not just an off-the-rack car, you'll want to do the turbocharging post-creation. You'll either have a new maximum speed of 770 or 815. Adding this many levels of turbocharging is actualyl more expensive than the vehicle frame itself, which puts you back 82,300 nuyen before street index.

Drive-by-wire 1 will be added on last for 847 or 897 speed.

All told, it will set you back 251,515 nuyen for the slower one, 262745 nuyen for the faster one, before street index.

Now turn on your nitros, multiply either of those speeds by 2.5, and start accelerating until you hit 2118 or 2243 speed. Keep in mind, speed refers to how many meters it can go in 3 seconds. So this little beauty is capable of 706 or 748 meters per second. 706 * 60 = 42,360 meters per minute, 748 * 60 = 44,880 meters per minute. 42,360 * 60 = 2,541,600 meters per hour or 2,541 km/h, 44,880 * 60 = 2,692,800 meters per hour or 2692.8 km/h.

The main use for this thing would be blowing stuff up. Seeing as how a vehicle can go through any barrier that is less than it's speed multiplied by 0.05, the slower one will go through rating 105.9 barriers, the faster one rating 112.1 barriers. The vehicle is almost assured to be scrap metal though, but the passengers, if any, will not be harmed. The barrier will also be dust. If you want to breach a building and want a REALLY cool entrance, here's your ticket in.

The power of a crash is equal to speed divided by 10. 212 for the slower, 224 for the faster one.

This is what REALLY killed Dunkie.
zephir
Cool Post! cool.gif
Athenor
I was up with ya until ya hit the nitros, as you were going 600+ MPH... which I can.. um.. somewhat believe, if you were to put the right engine in there.

I do think this stresses some issues, though -- there are obviously some issues when it comes to attaching -too- many speed enhancements and engine mods to a vehicle.. A structural limit, perhaps, or even just a hard limit would be nice. Current after-market parts, including nitro, can get muscle cars and imports up to about 180, and Indy cars, which would be similar to what is represented here, get up to 240-260.. Beyond that, though.. you have friction kicking your rear (until you get to higher altitudes), or just the fact that pistons can't go that fast, without melting into slag.

So ya... hard limits would be nice. Not necessary, but nice. wink.gif
(I still like that whole common sense concept coming in. =P )

BTW: Can you figure out the handling on that vehicle? Like, shouldn't it be around 12-13? wink.gif

Athenor
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (Tzeentch)

You're forgetting that max speed is 1.5 times that amount.

*sighs* Yes. Rules can be bent over and beaten until they are raw.

Some easier then others.
My question is simple: WHY? I've always asked this... It is a tradeoff between realism and flexability... nad in R3's case, flexability won, while allowing for as much realism as possible. Is that so wrong?

Rigger 3 is neither particularly realistic nor is it flexible and easy to use. It's an extremely crufty system that is resistant to automating with spreadsheets -- that's probably the main thing that aggravates me about the design sequence.
GURPS Vehicles is considerably easier to use, is more flexible (the Shadowrun railguns are GURPS designs), and can be easily automated with a simple spreadsheet (assuming you can handle the "Autosum" function). I do LOTS of work with Vehicles (as in, you see my name in many GURPS books because of it) and I find it easy to use -- not everyone does though.
Rigger 3 is not a "pick stats, then price" system so it's not the same thing as Silhouette or d20 Mecha. Not necessarily a bad thing, I personally enjoy lot's of "crunch" in my designs. It could be compared to the Armageddon 2089 construction system I think.

Now, Rigger 3 is very nice in some ways. I do enjoy reading the color text for components, the vehicles and the first few non-design chapters. I think the system is too damn complex for its own good just added a new layer of complexity for no gain (Naval Scale -- the Shadowrun MDC). It's a chore to design vehicles in it and adding new stuff (like the snowmobiles from Wastelands) is problematic.

Obviously, I shouldn't need to preface this with an "IMO." Jon's a great guy (my sig is to poke fun, not be an ass). Everything other then the design sequence itself is quite nice. Plus, Rigger 3 isn't going away. So if you want to design more vehicles/robots/laser death power armor it's the only game in town for freelancers wink.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Tzeentch)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Oct 17 2003, 08:13 AM)
QUOTE (Tzeentch)

You're forgetting that max speed is 1.5 times that amount.

632*1.5 = 948, still 81 short, but very close
Modesitt
Athenor: Surprisingly, there are no driving mods for high speeds. That car would have a handling of 3. The only negative one that exists is for Positioning and even then it only applies if you're exceeding your speed rating, a mere +1 TN. In fact, if anything psychotically fast cars are more maneuverable than other vehicles. In vehicle combat, your maneuver score is based on terrain, the frame of your car, and your current speed. Terrain gives no more than -10 points, your frame can give +20 or -25, and your speed gives +(Speed/10) in points.

It's signature however, would be something like -16 or -17, so a missile that was never made that didn't have an intelligence rating that was fired from an imaginary missile launcher could still blow it up.

It's also notable that the car itself is only 82,300 and everything after that can be bought piece by piece. I deliberately made the cost of the car low for the purposes of turbocharging and the drive-by-wire system, both of which are based on percentages of the list price of the car.

If you want to really mess with the head of a physics student, add level 5 nitros to that vehicle and consider for a moment how accleration/braking works. The only actual limit is how many dice you can throw at the test and how many actions you have in a round. A starting level rigger could have 18 dice for accelerating/braking and an init of 4d6+13 for 27 average init. For the sake of this, let's assume this rigger got lucky and got an average of 4 on init and so has an init of 31. The acceleration of the faster vehicle would be 28. You could conceivably go from 0 to 336 meters/second and back to 0 in under 3 seconds. You would cause the head of every physics student within a 100 mile radius to violently explode when their brain attempted to comprehend the g-forces you would have been subject to.
Kanada Ten
Athenor: Surprisingly, there are no driving mods for high speeds.

That's not quite true, but you actually have to think about it like this: Terrain is relative to the speed traveled. A busy highway at normal a 75 mph becomes a dangerous hell at 120 mph. Its no harder to drive the car (really), it is the environment that makes it tough.
Modesitt
That's not quite true, but you actually have to think about it like this: Terrain is relative to the speed traveled. A busy highway at normal a 75 mph becomes a dangerous hell at 120 mph. Its no harder to drive the car (really), it is the environment that makes it tough.

In real life, you are probably right.

But I really did mean exactly what I said and I do believe I am right. In the rules as written, maneuevering during rush hour traffic at 10 mph is no more difficult than doing so at 100 so long as you aren't exceeding your normal speed limit.

Pg 134 lists Driving Test Modifiers Table, and while terrain is mentioned, speed isn't. The closest you can get is Unfamiliar Vehicle or Stressful Situation.

Pg 140 outlines how you get the maneuever score of a vehicle. Note that you get bonuses for speed, penalties for terrain, but high speed on tight terrain does not make the tight terrain worse. In fact, you may want to accelerate in tight terrain so as to off set the maneuever score penalties.

From then on, the BBB lists the various driving maneuevers, all of which are easier to perform if your maneuever score is higher than your opponents.

I encourage you to point out to me anywhere in the rules where they say what you are saying or something like it.
danbot37
Just so you guys know, there are people attempting ( and getting damn close, one actually made it *unofficially* but blew apart at the sonic boom, hence the unofficial part) to reach the speed of sound. Also, the speed of sound changes depending on altitude (actually relates to the atmospheric pressure).
FlakJacket
QUOTE (danbot37 @ Oct 20 2003, 03:01 AM)
Just so you guys know, there are people attempting ( and getting damn close, one actually made it *unofficially* but blew apart at the sonic boom, hence the unofficial part) to reach the speed of sound.

Sorry, blonde moment, but do you mean going faster than the speed of sound using ground vehicles? 'Cause its already been done, IIRC.
hobgoblin
with jet engine yes, with pistons no...

allso, i think i observed someone on #shadowrun makea van go past the sound barrier, alltho that was based on the funny wordings of the engine customization rules (some say it can go speed*1,75 + speed, others say its speed*1,75 at design)...

what the rules need are a hard and fast what goes first and a real readthru by munchkins on a chain. other then that they work, within the framework of SR that is smile.gif never seen gurps vehicles...
Kanada Ten
I encourage you to point out to me anywhere in the rules where they say what you are saying or something like it.

I think the "common sense" rule is under Running the Shadows or Beyond the Shadows.

Oh, and this car is no longer possible. They have moved the engine entry under Sports Car Diesel to Sporst Car Jet Turbine meaning it can't take any turbocharging as Turbine engines have turbocharging already factored in.
RedmondLarry
Take a look at the vehicle shape you get when designed to exceed the speed of sound: 1997 Mach 1 Land Speed Record Holder. I think lonestar would notice this on the streets.

Some describe a Mach 1 car as a "jet plane dragging its landing gear".
Modesitt
I think the "common sense" rule is under Running the Shadows or Beyond the Shadows.

The point of the thread is to point out where the rules as written in Rigger 3 suck. Tzee really has a license to mock them, what with actually writing parts of Rigger 3.

Oh, and this car is no longer possible. They have moved the engine entry under Sports Car Diesel to Sporst Car Jet Turbine meaning it can't take any turbocharging as Turbine engines have turbocharging already factored in.

If you mean what the original poster said, yes THAT car is no longer possible.

The design I put forward was based off of a gasoline sports car.

The core issue with the Rigger 3 speed demon(It can go a LOT faster if you involve a certain spirit trick...) is the lack of limits on the ratings of the enhancements. This actually isn't an exclusively Rigger 3 problem, it's one of the main problems with a lot of the things in Shadowrun. For example, the Chipjack Expert Driver has no rating limit. A number of people have commented on how Fuel Air Explosives don't have a limit either and can do theoretically infinite amounts of damage, others have pointed out how acid has no rating limit and again has a limit on it equal solely to the amount of nuyen you are willing to throw at a problem.

The solution to this rules screw up and many others is to just slap more ratings caps on stuff and really more hard caps in general. Explain it away as "Technology has limitations and this is the limit." if a reason beyond game balance is actually neccessary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012