Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Most Recent Street Magic Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kalvan
What's in it? When's it coming out? (in general print, that is) What does everybody think of it? what are everyone's expectations about it?

Inquiring minds want to know! (Please discuss)
Cynic project
Well, would you rtaher have somethign right now or something right?
Kalvan
I simply wish to stimulate discussion on the volume in question.

That said, I would much rather have a realistic release date that is X amount of time in the future, rather than a wonderfully quick release date that keeps getting pushed back.

I'm willing to wait as long is it takes, and not a day sooner.
Adam
Street Magic previews will start hitting ShadowrunRPG.com next week.
SL James
I've been under the assumption for a while that it is targeted for Gencon.
fool
we'll definitely see it in august....2007
Ancient History
If it hasnae sold out by then. nyahnyah.gif
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Kalvan)
What's in it?  When's it coming out?  (in general print, that is) What does everybody think of it?  what are everyone's expectations about it?

Inquiring minds want to know!  (Please discuss)

What's in it?
--Advanced rules on Magic and magical stuff in the sixth world.

When's it coming out?
--Before it's sequel and after the PDF release.

What does everybody think of it?
--Most opinions are undecided, but many look forward to the release.

What are everyone's expectations about it?
--Universal expectations are for letters and numbers to be compiled in a syntax and structure which communicates thought in a commonly held language. Beyond that, a general conversion and update for material from Grimoire and MitS is believed to be due.
Bull
Based on Rob's comments at Origins and Gen Con last year regarding the expansion books, expect to see more world info regarding the subject matter. I gathered from his comments that the book would look a little more like Awakenings from 2nd ed than the Grimoire or MiTS. More flavor and world stuff, plus all the magical goodies they could throw into the book.

Bull
Synner
In terms of rules, Street Magic will include "advanced rules for alternate magic traditions, initiation and metamagic, enchanting, new spells and adept powers, the metaplanes of astral space, and a host of magical threats". It will revise and update most of the material previously seen in the SR3 sourcebooks Magic in the Shadows, Target: Awakened Lands, Target: Wastelands, the 2 SOTAs, and magic rules from the various location books. Street Magic is indeed crammed with every magical goody we could fit and it also adds plenty of all-new rules material.

But that's not all. As Bull (and Rob) noted it will also contain more fluff (both the fiction pieces that now introduce each SR4 chapter and actual world information/in character pieces to contextualize the rules material - in the vein of Awakenings).
Grinder
I already love the book. love.gif Hopefully a preview will be available soon.
Zen Shooter01
I, as ever, stand here with my money in my hand. Waiting.
Grinder
Isn't that dangerous? biggrin.gif
Zen Shooter01
There's a danger that I will die of old age before the next SR book comes out, yes. I am glad that the company has at least virtually abandoned the idea of release dates at all. I remember the days of waiting three to six months past the announced date for books to wander out. Now without official release dates, there's less to be frustrated about.
knasser
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
There's a danger that I will die of old age before the next SR book comes out, yes. I am glad that the company has at least virtually abandoned the idea of release dates at all. I remember the days of waiting three to six months past the announced date for books to wander out. Now without official release dates, there's less to be frustrated about.

So by keeping your expectations low, you achieve happiness. There's just something... wrong, there. smile.gif

I can't wait for this book. I want it NOW!
Grinder
He doesn't chose his nickname by accident, I guess. biggrin.gif He reached the next step to enlightment: there are no release dates.
Zen Shooter01
It's the tao of FanPro - there are release dates, but no products.

There are products, but no release dates.

When you can snatch the D6 from my hand, your training will be complete.
hobgoblin
hmm, more like awakenings? given that its one of my favorite books (any book that have a shadowtalk free-for-all section is a potential favorite to me) this sounds very very promising.
Adam
Alright, giving you the choice of parts of Peter's list:

"advanced rules for alternate magic traditions, initiation and metamagic, enchanting, the metaplanes of astral space, and a host of magical threats".

What do you want to see a preview of first?
Grinder
Magical threats and alternate magic traditions. smile.gif

edit: thank you for giving us a possibility to choose! smile.gif
Teux
I'm a sucker for new spells myself, but I'd love to see new traditions as well.

Hmm, to think of it, all that stuff sounds interesting. Choosing is hard!

Zolhex
initiation would be my choice here it is by far the most important to my characters as i would think this section would help me know more about just how much better my characters can get with initiation.

As a second magical threats would help so my characters know what to watch out for while going about there business.

Of course your only doing a preview so I can't really say how usefull anything you put up can be as I doubt your gonna post the whole chapter.
Grinder
QUOTE (Casazil)
initiation would be my choice here it is by far the most important to my characters as i would think this section would help me know more about just how much better my characters can get with initiation.

Isn't Initiation covered in the SR4 BBB?
Synner
Basic Initiation and Metamagics are indeed covered in the BBB. Street Magic adds stuff like group initiation and ordeals to the mix. It also features 20+ metamagic abilities not covered in the BBB...
emo samurai
THREATS!!! And focus-building.
Casper
QUOTE (Adam)
Alright, giving you the choice of parts of Peter's list:

"advanced rules for alternate magic traditions, initiation and metamagic, enchanting, the metaplanes of astral space, and a host of magical threats".

A front cover would be cool and some examples of the fiction.

Zen Shooter01
Initiation and metamagic. Is divining in SM?
Synner
Initiation and metamagic. Is divining in SM?

Yes.
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (Synner)
Basic Initiation and Metamagics are indeed covered in the BBB. Street Magic adds stuff like group initiation and ordeals to the mix. It also features 20+ metamagic abilities not covered in the BBB...

20+!!!! Rock on! I originally thought that this book would be one that our gaming group bought together, but I am seriously considering buying my own copy now!
Grinder
QUOTE (Synner)

love.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Synner @ Jul 30 2006, 07:48 PM)

love.gif

In all fairness, only a handful of these are entirely new.

But on the other hand that kind of variety extends to all the chapters.
fool
variety rocks.
But so does being able to buy the thing.
It sounds like it's living up exactly to my expectations.
Hopefully some new threats for those jaded runners who've "been there run that." (not me, I hardly ever get to actually play.)
More plot hooks would be nice too. Like WTF is up with certain magically oriented groups.. Draco Foundation, DIMR, New Atlaantis etc.
scatter.gif
emo samurai
Dude, blood charms from the Theran Empire.
Grinder
We already have it in SR4. It's called "cyberware". biggrin.gif

@Synner: as long as every chapter has some new ideas and brings the old stuff to SR4, I'm happy. smile.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (Synner)
It will revise and update most of the material previously seen in the SR3 sourcebooks......But that's not all. As Bull (and Rob) noted it will also contain more fluff (both the fiction pieces that now introduce each SR4 chapter and actual world information/in character pieces to contextualize the rules material - in the vein of Awakenings).

QUOTE (Synner)

love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif

Need ....Street Magic......NOW!!!
knasser
QUOTE (Adam)

Table of contents - please! Give me something to salivate over! biggrin.gif
mfb
dunno if it's too late, but we just discovered something about enchanting in another thread. under SR3 rules, a talismonger can gather 10kg of gold ore every 20 days, or 5kg of refined gold (assuming that refining, in this case, involves smelting out many of the impurities). currently, a troy ounce of gold is worth over $600, and there are over 33 troy ounces in one kg. even assuming that the refined gold isn't pure enough to get the 2070 equivalent of a full $600/troy ounce, that's still a lot of very valuable material that can be very easily gathered.
hobgoblin
isnt refined for making the material ready for being used in fetishes?
it could be so physicaly full of impurities that it cant be worth much, but the talismonger prosess makes it magicaly "pure".
Moon-Hawk
Sure, but even if you allow for it to be 50% (or more) coal there's still more than enough gold to be worth quite a bit.
hobgoblin
maybe so...

maybe its a case of them thinking grams but going with KG so that one cant carry it in a pocket simply?

kinda like what have been pointed out with explosives, it seems that what a gram of the stuff could potentialy do in real life, have turned into a kilogram in SR or something.

hmm, could it be that fasa (and now fanpro) are pulling a "nasa"?
Synner
Your wish is our command... well sorta. First Preview. And yes, it is off to the printers. Darn, but that cover came out good. Great work, Jason.
Ophis
Yeah just had a look, very nice. I look forward to seeing what the new spirits are like.
Grinder
Thanks Synner, that was quick smile.gif
Kalvan
Is it just me, or does any one else think that the Magical Group in Ms. Steingraber's piece must be The Village People? rollin.gif
Cardul
QUOTE (Synner)
Your wish is our command... well sorta. First Preview. And yes, it is off to the printers. Darn, but that cover came out good. Great work, Jason.

192 pages? that is larger the Magic int he Shadows...and considering a good chunk of what was in MitS is in the Core Book now......this is going to be interesting...
Brahm
QUOTE (Cardul)
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 1 2006, 03:58 AM)

192 pages? that is larger the Magic int he Shadows...and considering a good chunk of what was in MitS is in the Core Book now......this is going to be interesting...

They are gleaning from a lot of different sources. "...material previously seen in the SR3 sourcebooks Magic in the Shadows, Target: Awakened Lands, Target: Wastelands, the 2 SOTAs, and magic rules from the various location books."

I'm surprised they found even a couple of new Metamagics beyond that. I my concern of that is I hope those new ones don't come off as feeling forced to find something new, but instead feel like cool metamagics that fit in.
emo samurai
They must be AWESOMER than the old ones.

And when is it coming out on PDF?
hobgoblin
holy, thats a lot of stuff for one book.
Brahm
I imagine that a lot of it didn't made the cut. There was some filler type stuff in those books that I personally wouldn't miss. Even accounting for a subjective opinion of what is filler and what is not there is stuff that could be condensed, combined, or tossed because of low interest and a general lack of AWESOME in some items, and occationally just a little too much AWESOME.
Kalvan
The funny thing is, two major Japanese magical traditions (Omnyodo and Shugendo), both far more conductive to Coproprate Culture (even Japanese Corporate Culture) than Shinto or Buddhist theurgy, are missing. The absense of the former is especially baffling, as it's experiencing a wave of popularity in Japanese pop culture even as we speak.

Oh, well. One can always try to homebrew it. :shrug:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012