Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions from a GM new to SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
JonathanC
Getting right into it, there were a few things I couldn't seem to find decisive answers for in the book. Mind you, that doesn't mean they aren't there...it just means I couldn't find them.

1. How would a person be able to drive/ride a motorcycle and fire a gun? I assume someone with multiple initiative passes can do so without a problem provided they use at least one of their complex actions to steer, but what about someone with just one pass?

2. Do armor encumbrance penalties apply only to people who are stacking armor, or would a body 1 person be under penalties while wearing a simple armored vest?

3. Reading through the hacking/computer rules, it would seem that a hacker could get by without programs, just using their skill + logic instead of skill + program. But what about the Stealth program to avoid being detected? Can a hacker use hacking + logic to avoid detection, or are they automatically forced to be in plain sight if they don't have a Stealth program?

4. Is firing two weapons at once (splitting the dice pool, of course, since it's two hand fighting) a simple action? So a person with two pistols could, in theory, fire four times?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (JonathanC)
How would a person be able to drive/ride a motorcycle and fire a gun? I assume someone with multiple initiative passes can do so without a problem provided they use at least one of their complex actions to steer, but what about someone with just one pass?

They buy an additional pass with edge or... ar likely to crash.

QUOTE (JonathanC)
Do armor encumbrance penalties apply only to people who are stacking armor, or would a body 1 person be under penalties while wearing a simple armored vest?

The latter.

QUOTE (JonathanC)
Reading through the hacking/computer rules, it would seem that a hacker could get by without programs, just using their skill + logic instead of skill + program. But what about the Stealth program to avoid being detected? Can a hacker use hacking + logic to avoid detection, or are they automatically forced to be in plain sight if they don't have a Stealth program?

Without a program, you can't do anything at all - no defaulting.

QUOTE (JonathanC)
Is firing two weapons at once (splitting the dice pool, of course, since it's two hand fighting) a simple action? So a person with two pistols could, in theory, fire four times?

Yes.
JonathanC
It wouldn't be defaulting without programs...the book says that you can use logic + skill to interface with the device directly, so I figured that means you can accomplish most/all tasks using logic.

I was also unclear on the armor wording...I can see some of the logic in a body 1 person being encumbered by wearing even the most basic armor, but it does also seem rather harsh. On the other hand, running around Seattle with a body of 1 isn't exactly the brightest idea.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (JonathanC)
It wouldn't be defaulting without programs...the book says that you can use logic + skill to interface with the device directly, so I figured that means you can accomplish most/all tasks using logic.

You can't, see programs. wink.gif
Yes, there are rules if you don't use programs, but there up until now, those are rules for the occasions where you wouldn't need programs...

QUOTE (JonathanC)
I was also unclear on the armor wording...I can see some of the logic in a body 1 person being encumbered by wearing even the most basic armor, but it does also seem rather harsh. On the other hand, running around Seattle with a body of 1 isn't exactly the brightest idea.

Indeed.
JonathanC
I'm still not sure I understand the wording of the matrix rules, if you can't use logic to normally do things like edit files and search without using programs...I remember this being possible in 3rd ed. But on the other hand, it seems as if some programs, like Stealth, wouldn't necessarily be replacable with a logic test...after all, stealth kinda sits there passively waiting to be needed, whereas someong hacking "naked", as it were, would be spending their mental energy on a variety of things.
ShadowDragon
1. How would a person be able to drive/ride a motorcycle and fire a gun? I assume someone with multiple initiative passes can do so without a problem provided they use at least one of their complex actions to steer, but what about someone with just one pass?

Just going from memory here...if you don't spend a complex action to drive every combat turn, you have to make a driving test on your next turn to make sure you don't crash.

2. Do armor encumbrance penalties apply only to people who are stacking armor, or would a body 1 person be under penalties while wearing a simple armored vest?

You can have 2 x your body in armor without penalty, period. So a body 1 person could wear 2 armor (like a leather jacket). Anything more, regardless of whether or not it's stacking, would encumber the wearer and incur penalties. Obviously, having 1 body is a very bad idea - I don't recommend making any character below 4 (maybe 3) body unless you like dying.

3. Reading through the hacking/computer rules, it would seem that a hacker could get by without programs, just using their skill + logic instead of skill + program. But what about the Stealth program to avoid being detected? Can a hacker use hacking + logic to avoid detection, or are they automatically forced to be in plain sight if they don't have a Stealth program?

I don't think you can default without a program. At least smart GMs wouldn't allow it...

4. Is firing two weapons at once (splitting the dice pool, of course, since it's two hand fighting) a simple action? So a person with two pistols could, in theory, fire four times?

Yes you can fire 4 times with 2 weapons. Keep in mind though that recoil stacks. It's not as good as you might think.
JonathanC
Huh...well, I guess that makes some sense, though I never thought of it as defaulting. I always figured that the programs were enhancements to hacking, not the be all and end all of hacking. I guess there really is no incentive for hackers to have a high logic then, since the stat never comes into play...I mean, what the hell does the book mean when it says Hacking + Logic for directly interfacing with a device? When would you ever do that?

Irregardless, I'm going to need to talk to some of my players. I flagged the a Body 1/armor issue to begin with, but I let it slide for a game because they were new, and I didn't want to kill them in their first SR game session.
Bull
QUOTE (JonathanC)
I'm still not sure I understand the wording of the matrix rules, if you can't use logic to normally do things like edit files and search without using programs...I remember this being possible in 3rd ed. But on the other hand, it seems as if some programs, like Stealth, wouldn't necessarily be replacable with a logic test...after all, stealth kinda sits there passively waiting to be needed, whereas someong hacking "naked", as it were, would be spending their mental energy on a variety of things.

As far as I can tell, the only thing inside the matrix taht you really don't need a program for is controlling objects that are linked to a node or network; i.e. doors, secruity camers, drones, personal cyberware and your smartlinked gun, etc.

Some instances, you don;t need to roll anything (opening up an unlocked door, for example). Some instances you may need an appropriate skill (Piloting for controlling a drone, or gunnery for a security gun). But there are some instances where there may not be a skill involved directly, and you can subistitute Logic to operate the item, I suppose. Limited use, really, IMO.

Right now the Matrix rules are a bit "bare bones", unfortunatly. There's a lot of stuff that's left to GM fiat, which isn;t necessarily a bad thing, but it's a PITA for GMs. I expect Unwired to fill this out a good deal whenever it comes out, but till then, we make due. smile.gif

Bull
JonathanC
I'm going to have a long talk with the group's Hacker...and then a longer talk with our two waifish elves (seriously though, Body 1? They had access to the book...who would do such a thing?)
Grinder
Bad MinMaxers? biggrin.gif

Seriously, Body 1 is a really bad idea. If they want to get some BP, they should lower Strength. Search for the "most useless stat"-thread here. wink.gif
Edward
Body one. There are characters that can pull it off. Of cause they are hackers that use cold sim to avoid brain fry.

Grinder
Sure, but how likely is it? biggrin.gif
JonathanC
One is a Shaman/sniper, the other is a 'social adept'. It's possible for them to avoid combat, but not guaranteed.
Conskill
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Huh...well, I guess that makes some sense, though I never thought of it as defaulting. I always figured that the programs were enhancements to hacking, not the be all and end all of hacking. I guess there really is no incentive for hackers to have a high logic then, since the stat never comes into play...I mean, what the hell does the book mean when it says Hacking + Logic for directly interfacing with a device? When would you ever do that?

Hardware (not Hacking, IIRC) + Logic comes into play if you are physically interacting with a device.

You use the Matrix rules when you want to hack0rz teh Gibson on the security camera.
You use Logic + Hardware if you just sneak up under the camera and do the same thing with a screwdriver.
Grinder
QUOTE (JonathanC)
One is a Shaman/sniper, the other is a 'social adept'. It's possible for them to avoid combat, but not guaranteed.

Are strangers offer them food, out of pity for looking so starved (or vegan)? biggrin.gif
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 30 2006, 04:55 AM)

Irregardless, I'm going to need to talk to some of my players. I flagged the a Body 1/armor issue to begin with, but I let it slide for a game because they were new, and I didn't want to kill them in their first SR game session.

A common houserule is rolling skill + logic limited by program. So if I have hacking 4, logic 5, and Exploit 3 I roll 9 dice (11 if in hot sim) but I can only get a max of 3 hits; anything more than 3 hits are wasted. My group uses this and it's worked well so far.

I try to discourage players from putting any attribute as 1. I let them know that 3 is the average human, 2 is deficient, and 1 is mildly retarded. So a body 1 person would be extremely frail, very prone to sickness, and would likely spend much of their life in a hospital due to disease and broken bones. I also expect my players to roleplay out a 1 attribute and include it in their background. So far none of my players have taken a 1 in any stat hehe
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 30 2006, 04:19 PM)

Are strangers offer them food, out of pity for looking so starved (or vegan)? biggrin.gif

I'd actually imagin most people are technically vegans (though most unwillingly), with soy being so common. Meat is an expensive commodity.
Samaels Ghost
I wonder how Orks and Trolls maintain muscle mass on diets of soy. Does soy provide the neccesary nutrients to stay in shape?
Brahm
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Jul 30 2006, 04:45 AM)

Just going from memory here...if you don't spend a complex action to drive every combat turn, you have to make a driving test on your next turn to make sure you don't crash.

Really close. The Crash test is done at the end of the Combat Turn that you didn't spend at least one Complex Action doing a Vehicle Test, so it happens before the next Turn starts. Note that this isn't the same as doing it at the end of the last normal IP of the driver since until the forth Pass of the Turn you still don't know whether or not the driver will spend a point of Edge to get an extra IP.

Another important point is that even if they make that Crash test they have to spend at least one Complex Action on a Vehicle Test for driving in the following Combat Turn or the vehicle automatically crashes. Bottom left, page 160.
Samaels Ghost
So basically, if you're a good driver you should be able to do it. If you just got your licence put away that gun and let someone ride on your hog with you to cover your back.
Grinder
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 30 2006, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 30 2006, 04:19 PM)

I'd actually imagin most people are technically vegans (though most unwillingly), with soy being so common. Meat is an expensive commodity.

There's a thread in the SR-section. I disagree, as meat can be grown in factory-like manner. But that's not ontopic here.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (Grinder)
There's a thread in the SR-section. I disagree, as meat can be grown in factory-like manner. But that's not ontopic here.

Well I agree with you on a realism standpoint. I always thought the soy thing was more of a Shadowrun joke. I can't imagin real life society to ever turn into a society dependant on flavored soy when McDonalds feeds us meat cheaper than dirt.

QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
I wonder how Orks and Trolls maintain muscle mass on diets of soy. Does soy provide the neccesary nutrients to stay in shape?

Soy as we know it today does not contain all of the amino acids required to build and maintain muscle. Though if you combine soy with other plants, such as wheat, you have as complete a chain as meat. That's the basics of it anyway, it's far more complicated than that. Soy also tends to increase estrogen production in males. I'd expect SR soy to be genetically engineered to avoid those complications.

I'll leave it at that. I'm getting too off topic
Brahm
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Jul 30 2006, 04:34 PM)
So basically, if you're a good driver you should be able to do it. If you just got your licence put away that gun and let someone ride on your hog with you to cover your back.

No, it is more about having the IPs to do it as you don't have to succeed at the Vehicle Test, just attempt one. As long as your meat body has at least 2 IP you are good to go. Or I suppose if you are confident about succeeding at the Crash Test you can spend every second combat turn keeping your vehicle on the road.

However you are also likely to get rung into a light post, retaining wall, or the ditch, or simply left in the dust if you are pursing, if the other driver is better skilled or is spending more passes controlling their vehicle.
Demon_Bob
Some Driving tests will be easy to make.
Sriving in a realitive straight line, with what is considered an open area for the turn has a TN of 1.
Grinder
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
QUOTE (Grinder)

Well I agree with you on a realism standpoint. I always thought the soy thing was more of a Shadowrun joke. I can't imagin real life society to ever turn into a society dependant on flavored soy when McDonalds feeds us meat cheaper than dirt.

Tahnk you for pointing that out smile.gif
JonathanC
I assumed that the reason meat wasn't available was related to the environmental degradation from the Megacorps...basically, there isn't enough arable land in stable countries to support cattle ranching as we know it. Cows eat way more than we do, so we actually waste more potential crops growing beef than we would if we just grew vegetables/grain there and fed them to humans. "Protected" grazing lands, like the Kobe Beef stuff, is probably still around, and that accounts for why meat is so expensive.

As for why they aren't cloning meat....Bioware didn't become commonplace until around the 2060's, if I recall. And offering cheap, cloned meat is kinda dumb...once people become used to paying out of the ass for something, offering them an equivalent product for a fraction of the price is just bad business. That's why you won't be seeing gas prices below 3 bucks again.
Grinder
Vatgrown meat had been mentioned in various sourcebooks bewore Shadowtech whci hintroduced Bioware.
I don't see why the NAN don't feed large cattle herds on their land and sell it to other countries.
Europe has a high-tech meat industry nowadays that doesn't need much land, so why should that change in 2050+?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (JonathanC)

If the vehicle has a Pilot the pilot can make the driving test while the PC does shooting.
hobgoblin
Vatgrown meat had been mentioned in various sourcebooks bewore Shadowtech whci hintroduced Bioware.
I don't see why the NAN don't feed large cattle herds on their land and sell it to other countries.
Europe has a high-tech meat industry nowadays that doesn't need much land, so why should that change in 2050+?

could be that they mix soy and vat meat so that its just barely healthy wink.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 31 2006, 12:03 PM)

Generally speaking, smaller cattle farms sell their product for a higher price...it's quite possible that some NAN countries have small, specialty product cattle farms that charge an arm and a leg for meat. As for why they don't do any larger farming...I imagine the more environmentally concerned NAN dislike the environmental devastation that grazing causes, and the NAN that don't care have already polluted their lands so badly with industrial waste that they can't raise cattle there.

Meat is cheap for us because we've got gigantic tracks of land, drugged up cows, and lots of filler to mix the meat with. While I imagine SR has better cow drugs, between the Awakening (maybe half the cows turned into minotaurs or some crap?), various land wars, environmental terrorism, and a level of pollution that we can only dream about, grazing land and edible cows are probably at a premium. The meat that rich people are eating in SR is probably all vatgrown. Bioware is expensive, and bioengineered meat is probably kept at an artificially high price because there isn't much competition, and "Big Meat" colludes to rip off their consumers. biggrin.gif
WhiskeyMac
between the Awakening (maybe half the cows turned into minotaurs or some crap?)

Nah dude, they turn into Brahmin rotfl.gif
Grinder
JonathanC, you're my man smile.gif Your reasons sound good to me, especially
The meat that rich people are eating in SR is probably all vatgrown.
- that's an idea I've never read before.
hobgoblin
and the real ultra-rich, like the ceo's of the AAA's, are the ones that can afford eating the real, real deal ever so often...
JonathanC
QUOTE (Grinder)
JonathanC, you're my man smile.gif Your reasons sound good to me, especially
The meat that rich people are eating in SR is probably all vatgrown.
- that's an idea I've never read before.

Makes sense for a lot of reasons...you can ensure a sterile environment, not have to worry about any of the problems we have with meat now (e.coli, mad cow disease, etc.). You could probably even lower the fat content while maintaining juiciness and taste, if you put enough research into it.

Meanwhile, the kind of "high quality" soy products we know today (you know, the stuff that actually looks and tastes meat-ish....sorta) probably remains the foodstuff of the trendy middle class (there's no good reason to devalue a product people are used to paying good money for), explaining why our boys living in the Barrens and such are eating soy paste with flavor drops.

I mean, ostrich burgers, by all logic, should be cheaper than beef burgers. Ostriches eat less food for the amount of meat they provide, so, in theory, costs should be lower. In practice, however, they are raised on smaller farms because demand is low...and demand is low because ostrich meat is more expensive. It's a perfect circle.
Grinder
I have a housemates who regularly cooks with soy-stuff and it's really good. It's expensive, but in SR the poor and down-trodden can afford to buy it, so the prices seem to have dropped.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Grinder)
I have a housemates who regularly cooks with soy-stuff and it's really good. It's expensive, but in SR the poor and down-trodden can afford to buy it, so the prices seem to have dropped.

Well, in the stories I've read, the SR poor and downtrodden aren't eating the same soy products that we're paying top dollar for at Whole Foods. We're paying for organically grown processed soy products that are pre-seasoned to taste meat-like, or we're just buying straight up tofu, which is also usually organically grown.

The stuff I've read about them eating is more like some kind of paste or gelatin like substance that's bland on its own, but which you then kind of add flavoring drops to. Or, going by the more recent SR books Steve Kenson wrote, something along the lines of those nasty super-cheap microwave burritos, but made of soy (and really, most cheap meat fast food has a bunch of soy filler in it anyway).
JonathanC
So, I'm in an interesting spot. My players rolled a fledgling biker gang consisting of a bunch of racist rich-boy types. Shot them up pretty good, rolled them for some drugs and a couple of their bikes, and were eventually chased away by DocWagon, responding to the kids' distress signals (this was in the Barrens, but I'm assumng 'Wagon can get a signal there via repeaters or something, even if there is no general matrix access there).

Anyway, the players really wanted to jack the bikes, and stuck around long enough for DocWagon to be shooting at them, so I'm thinking at the very least they were caught on camera by the Wagon, if not by the bikes. Incidentally, they stripped the RFID tags from the bikes they stole, but a couple of them were shot in he firefight, so they left blood behind. Would revenge-minded kids/parents be able to get their hands on the DocWagon footage? And once they have the image to match up to the (fake) SINs of the players, what's the likelihood of tracking them to their home? I'm unsure if a fake SIN would have your actual address or not...on one hand, if it doesn't, then you could be in trouble if you're in a situation where someone is confirming your identity and residence; but if it does, then you're in trouble in a situation where someone has ID'd you at a crime scene.

And obviously, the ritual tracking via the blood spilled at the site of the gun battle could be used to track the players down. But what about the ID datatrail?
Samaels Ghost
Runners should live off the grid anyway. Even if the kids did manage to track them down, I doubt they could do much. They might have expensive toys, but do they have 400BP?
JonathanC
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Runners should live off the grid anyway. Even if the kids did manage to track them down, I doubt they could do much. They might have expensive toys, but do they have 400BP?

The kids are shot up, and not going to harm anyone. Now their parents have enough money to hire some 'runners to do some damage... smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
Biker gang ids will likely a) not have parents, b) have run away from their parents, or c) have squatters or other lowlifes as parents. Rich kids aren't in biker gangs; they've got much higher profile scams going on. biggrin.gif

(Edit): Well, one things those kinds of kids might have is a parent in a big crime syndicate. The leader might be some Yak boss's brat, for instance.
FanGirl
A typical ganger kid may have a parent (or parents - though it's worth noting that children of single parents are more likely to join gangs) who genuinely cares about his or her child and worries about his safety, but doesn't lay down the law out of fear of pushing the kid away. Some parents, especially middle- to upper-class ones, may also be trying to maintain their image as "cool" moms and dads (though there really isn't much point in doing so - read the last section).
JonathanC
These weren't typical gangers...they were bored rich kids whose idea of run was riding around on expensive bikes and beating up drunk homeless orks when they got the chance. Humanis goons in training, more or less.
JonathanC
I'm not sure if I've asked this question before, but back when I was running a game, I had a mage who would habitually overcast because any stun he took would be physical, and thus able to be healed with magic. This strikes me as incredibly cheesy, but technically okay by the letter of the rules. Am I right?
Ravor
http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/faq.shtml

QUOTE (Fan Pro FAQ)
Can Physical Drain be healed by magic?

No. Damage from Drain must be healed by regular mundane medical care and/or rest.

However, once he Intitates and starts learning Blood Magic then he could magically heal the wounds he'll give himself to reduce his drain, of course it has been debated whether a character is actually ahead for doing so. (I say go for it, but I might be biased considering that I find Blood Magic to just be fragging cool.) cyber.gif

*Edit*

Well except for Blood Spirits, they are just broken at the moment.
JonathanC
Thanks, I'm glad that's official. I can't tell you how abusive that can get.
knasser
QUOTE (Ravor)
However, once he Intitates and starts learning Blood Magic then he could magically heal the wounds he'll give himself to reduce his drain, of course it has been debated whether a character is actually ahead for doing so. (I say go for it, but I might be biased considering that I find Blood Magic to just be fragging cool.) cyber.gif

That's assuming that the GM allows Blood Magic which the book advises against and certainly most GMs I think would not allow it. Or maybe it's just me.
Ravor
Considering that the 'Twisted' Paths aren't as overpowered as they used to be I don't know why most DMs would balk at allowing a PC to take one, provided of course that the Blood Spirit rules were fixed...
Moon-Hawk
Alternately, the GM could rule that damage inflicted as part of blood-magic sacrifice is also magically flavored just like drain and overcasting damage and thus can not be healed by magic. It de-cheeses the PC blood mage a little and makes the NPC blood mage that much scarier.
Method
QUOTE (JonathanC)
These weren't typical gangers...they were bored rich kids whose idea of run was riding around on expensive bikes and beating up drunk homeless orks when they got the chance. Humanis goons in training, more or less.

I don't think this idea is so far fetched. Bored rich kids really do this kind of shit.

I do some work in a residential treatment facility for kids with problems. We had a kid a few years back who's dad was a multimillionaire (started as a VP for HP when they sold typewriters). He got a weekly allowance in the 4 figures and would buy/resell drugs to get it up to about 10,000$ so he could have a party. He got busted with a kilo of coke and his daddy's high priced lawyers made sure he got placed with us instead of the California Penal System.

Oh and about meat production: genetically engineered cows with the regeneration critter power. That’s all I'm going to say. wink.gif
Fezig
The concept of a go-gang filled with spoiled little rich kids is totally plausable. Unless I'm mistaken they have exactly that in Runner Havens. The way I would probably run it is they find the fake SiN, pay for the info and some contacts, and then if they are especially powerful have some CorpSec's go after them, if they just have money and not the influence they could hire some green runners to take a shot at them.

Really your approach is your preference. Whatever you do can be justified, so just decide how hard you want to come down on the runners. You could always have it so that they now have made a corp enemy who lines it up within the corp for them to be hired on a double-cross. They have to steal something and once they get it then a strike-team shows up at their door. If you are running it out of Seattle you could have it so that it ties into the Security Contract thing maybe...Person steals from Ares only to be busted by Ares and linked back to "harassing and even assaulting upstanding Seattle youth's." I dunno, but its a potentially rich source of angles, and worth looking at.

Have fun with it, IMO you struck story arc gold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012