Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minneapolis-St. Paul
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Samaels Ghost
I decided to move my players out of Denver where they were running because my version of Denver has nothing to do with the canon. The MSP plex seems minor to the world at large, but big enough to be a runner sprawl if I flesh it out. Except I'm not usre where to begin....

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should include in a Minneapolis-St. Paul setting? I've done a little bit of research and still have very little. The largest Skyway system around, lots of theatres and the cool Twin City dynamic. The Mississippi river. The Minneapolis-St. Paul area is only mentioned in passing in Shadows of North America. SoNA says there's a rich telesma business to the north and smuggling all around the area. Anything else I should stress that is uniquely Minneapolis-St. Paul?
Kalvan
Here are a few:

The Mall of America

The Anoka Barrens (Formerly Garrison Kiellor's home town.) Includes a chemical spill that turned the local resevoir there into "Lake Woe Begone" biggrin.gif

Unversity of Minnesota-Twin Cities, Metropolitan State University, and St. Paul Lutheran University: The perfect rivalry for Magic Wars and College Fun Runs!
stevebugge
I would imagine that Fort Snelling has become a more important Military Garrison as near as it is to the Sioux Nation.
Dog
Check out the "Prey" series of crime stories by John Sandford. There's about a thousand of them. They all take place in or around the area.
Vegas
Distinct neighborhoods; Uptown - Arts oriented/younger generation, Downtown - Financial and Commerce/Entertainment, Dinkytown - Campus (UofMN), North Side - Ghetto, North East - Up and coming arts district, Warehouse - Trendy living space

Granted this is all generic descriptions. I live here now... so if you want real landmarks and stuff I'd be happy to help smile.gif

As for Ft. Snelling it butts right up against the International Airport and could be a tactical military location.
Samaels Ghost
I've found an outline of neighborhoods on various websites and even some good maps. Other than that I have very little. Real landmarks and whatnot would be a huge help.

Also, I was comtemplating making western MSP or a neighboring city a NAN refugee gathering point from way back in the day when the indians kicked us out (good for them). More established now but a reason for there to be D and Z zones. Is that too unlikely? Are there other cities that are already that way?
Samaels Ghost
I can't find too much info on the economic conditions of the various neighborhoods either. You said the North Side is a ghetto, what exactly does that include?
Longfellow might be a smuggler area being as it is right there on the river, but I'm not sure. Where are the majority of the docks and such?
Jrayjoker
Someone out there made a very detailed website that delves into the Twin Cities in Sourcebook format.

Twin Cities Shadownode

Hope this helps.

J
the_dunner
If you're covering the twin cities and magical activity, you just can't ignore the Twine Ball in Darwin. It's about 1/2 an hour west of Minneapolis, but it's strange enough that it has to have awakened in some manner.
Samaels Ghost

That twine ball though....is a must.
Jrayjoker
Not dumb, I had to do a few googles to find it, and I knew it was there!
the_dunner
Uh, there was a link in my post. wink.gif
BrianL03
I like what the guy did with the Mall of America, turning it into a citadel. The idea has a lot of merit, people buying up old places and turning them into their personal lair.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (the_dunner)
Uh, there was a link in my post. wink.gif

I guess I am confused as to whom he was replying.
Dread Polack
My short-lived, hopefully-soon-to-be-revived SR campaign took place in the MSP 'plex. I also happen to live here in RL, and have all my life. Here's what I can say about it now:

Compared to most major US cites, we're small, and not terribly crowded. Our traffic still sucks, mostly because we have a poor mass transit system.

It's cold here. People don't understand this, but MSP is one of the coldest cites in the world. In fact, there are very few places colder where 2 million+ people actually live. Siberia and Canada get colder, but you'll notice nobody lives there smile.gif This explains the ruggedness of Minneapolitans (not to mention Duluthrans, Rochesterinos, and Edinamites), as well as our skyways (once you park downtown, you can walk for hours through miles and miles of skyways, never having to step outside until you go home), our fleets of snowplows ready at a moment's notice in the winter, and our wardrobes. Minnesotans don't get +2 body to resist cold damage, we just put on a coat, gloves, scarf, hat, thermal underwear, wool socks, and boots before we go ice fishing.

I can explain ice fishing to those who don't understand.

But enough about that. Here's what else is a big deal in MN:
  • Large Somali and Hmong immigrant populations
  • Small Japanese or Italian population, however, the mafia was big back in the day
  • Comparatively small Latin American population- too far north.
  • Art- LOTS of museums and theaters (more than NY or LA, in fact)
  • Education: The U of M, etc.
  • Medicine: We have some of the best hospitals and medical labs in the world

Here's what I emphasize in my campaign:

The awakening hit the MN wilderness pretty hard, causing the outlying mundane population to retreat into the core of the cities. I read somewhere about a security fence along the 694/494 beltway that kept the citizens safe from the awakened critters. I adopted this, placing poor neighborhood populations outside, along with well-protected corporate facilities that wanted anonymity. I also placed a number of unofficial NA settlements in the MN wilderness as well.

The U of M has one of the bigger and better-funded Mystical Studies departments. MSP is a good place to encounter powerful mages of all varieties, and the trouble they bring.

As a highly Scandinavian people, I placed a lot of Dwarves in MSP. Some of the more influential Dwarven fraternities exist here. I read somewhere about a dwarven-founded security company called "Hammer and Shield" which I made into the official police firm.

Neighborhoods:
North Side: yeah, this is our biggest ghetto. I worked with a girl from Chicago who lived in the Chi ghetto and North Side, and she said North is mild for a ghetto. I'll take her word for it, but if you want the worst neighborhood in the cities, that's it. South Side gets bad at times as well, and there are scattered scary places too.

Northeast: This is where my Polack half comes from. It was a big eastern-european neighborhood in the 50s, but has a lot of Mexican and Somali immigrants as well. It's become a pretty artsy neighborhood with a lot of natural food stores and coffee-houses in the past decade or so. It's actually a quite nice place to hang out.

Downtown Mpls: like any downtown. No subways, only 1 train (should be more in the future, my campaign has a bunch).

Uptown: sort of south of downtown. Lots of pretentious artsy people. Expensive homes. The Lake Calhoun/Lake Harriet is a nice place to go jogging and oggle the Beautiful People. As well as get coffee, see some plays, buy overpriced stuff...

St. Paul: Don't know much about St. Paul, it is strange and alien to me. I had a friend who went to school there, and I used to go to the MacAlister College Scottish Country Fair every year, so the Snelling Ave area between 94 and 36 is what I know best. It's an old-fashioned area, very nice. Como Park (with it's zoo and famous conservatory) is near by, as well as the State Fairgrounds. Source Comics and Games, where I'm playing the Source Shadowrun Summer Event is also there.

Basically, once you move outward into the suburbs, houses get nicer, and people get whiter. Before you know it, you're driving through fields with horses and cows. Some notable suburbs are Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Maple Grove (western suburbs): some of the richest, whitest people. Richfield, Bloomington: southern suburbs, the Monstrocity of America, and the MSP Int'l Airport are here.

Oh- and about the World's Biggest Ball of Twine: Yes, the one Weird Al wrote a song about: someone else claims to have a bigger one, but they cheated. Ours is all-natural, the original worlds biggest ball of twine.

Dread Polack
FanGirl
QUOTE (Dread Polack)
It's cold here. People don't understand this....

I've only been to MSP a few times (if you don't count jaunts to and from the Mall of America or the airport), but I do go to college about an hour south of the Twin Cities, so I can attest to the coldness of Minnesota winters. Fortunately, last winter was a relatively mild one - the temperature was in the high teens or twenties most of the time - but one day we got hit with a huge snowstorm that brought us down to -15 degrees. I remember walking outside with all my layers on and having to keep blinking every three seconds to keep my eyeballs from frosting over. That's what a Minnesota winter is like.

Also, I understand that many Minnesotans like to challenge themselves by seeing how many days they can go without having to break out their heavy coats. I'm not a Minnesotan, so I don't participate in this challenge. smile.gif
Samaels Ghost
Thanks for the input. When I make some time I'll write up what I have and post it for critique.
Snow_Fox
The defunct 'zine Kage did a couple of articles on the twin cities. I'll see if I can find them in my library and post what I can find.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Dread Polack)
It's cold here. People don't understand this, but MSP is one of the coldest cites in the world. In fact, there are very few places colder where 2 million+ people actually live. Siberia and Canada get colder, but you'll notice nobody lives there. smile.gif

Dunno, I think the population of Novosibirsk and the Novosibirk Oblast would probably disagree with you on that one. Granted they're not quite as large but what's a few hundred thousand people between friends? Lets not quibble. wink.gif
Snow_Fox
In RL there is a large Scandinavian population because people at immagration thought that was what scandinavia was like so told the immigrants to go there to feel at home. aparently except for the light, they should have gone to New York's upstate areas for a similar clime, Mn-St Paul is said to be far colder.
Dread Polack
Heh, I knew someone would point out a colder city. I should visit there smile.gif

I believe the immigration trick, too. I've heard of similar things.

I've read all the old Kage stuff on the timeline, and I'm most interested in the "Awakened Forest" idea. One of the things I plan to swipe. Just have to decide where to put it.

Also, they mention, I believe it was the Lovecraft University. I would change it to the Tolkien University (much less ominous- higher enrollment), and also place a large office to the Dunkelzahn magicall institute (whatever it's called).

Dread Polack
Samaels Ghost
I have several ideas to run with right now. Feel free to pitch in ideas, all you MSP dwellers.

It seems like not having a public transport system other than a bus system is a pain. Subway construction sounds rife with interesting possiblities. Rival contractors resorting to espionage and sabotage in the 30's-40's could have collapsed tunnels and even done damage to the city above. Abandoned tunnels are also potential smuggling routes. This won't be an extensive like the Ork Underground is. More like a few branches of abandoned tunnel, maybe with connections to the sewer/natural caverns, but very few. There would also be, after "incidents" in the subway, a above ground rail system that connects a major corp enclave (which corp?), Minneapolis, and St. Paul for easy commuting over long distances. Just between central nodes.
The cold is a big issue in the MSP, so expanding the Skywalk system and the underground city complexes will be a must for a larger population and harsher Awakened weather.

Speaking of Awakened, MSP's proximity to the NAN piques my interest. Being the largest city in the Western UCAS, it has to have seen it's share of conflict. Refugees from the NAN's ousting of anglos, magical warning shots in times of conflict, extreme prejudice against Awakened types, possible 'witch burning' incidents (for tasty background counts biggrin.gif ), mana storm incidents to aggrevate the prejudice. That sorta stuff. Pro-Awakened groups and even Magocratic progressives like local Druids/Wedge witch back-to-nature groups or the IOND might have a stake here. The political atmosphere is charged with old biases in 2070, especially after the Winternight events. Many here believe that Surtur and Ymir WMD's were ritual magic, despite what honest reporters have to say. Politicians in the MSP arena want to keep the public's opinion polarized to prevent upstart pro-awakened agendas from gaining support. Don't need a mage in office, now do we? The Awakened population that lives here is high because of the local magical wildlife and abandoned areas. Back-to-nature groups have plenty of room to settle here and frequently do, though usually outside the NorthWestern Awakend Wildlife Containment Fence. THe fence was designed to keep some of the more dangerous creatures of the northern areas from wandering into the city. So far it works to keep the bigger ones from getting too curious. However, it serves as a symbolic separation between the Awakened of the North and the biased popolation of Minneapolis. I can't remember where I read about putting up a fence, but it isn't solely my idea.

That site (here) mentioned earlier suggests that some major corps that had property in the Chicago area probably moved to nearby cities, including the MSP. I like this idea. St. Paul would be the home of several corp facilities/local HQ's as well as a few Chicago companies that had no where else to go. This relocation of business is good for the MSP, most notably St. Paul. I really want to include Horizon group members but I don't know where FanPro is going with them yet.

Having a major military base in the west, like expanding Fort Snelling, sounds good. Air Force Base since Lambert in Illinois may not be as central anymore.... maybe.

Lack of response and the mismangagement of emergency funds in Minneapolis leads to the progation of gangs as neighbohood secutiy as local lawenforcement fails to do their job after the Crash 2.0. Even 5 years later several gangs sevre their communties (and exploit them). Some areas are left to their own devices and public funding for them is cut, leaving them without official law-enforcement coverage and without school funding. The Funneling of emergency money to politicians makes the current political climate tense. Though some of those that commited money laundering have been caught. Progressive groups and magocratics groups hold wuite a bit of respect for calling them out. The outraged public sides with the lesser of the two evils, the crazy eco-druids and magic groups.

Pollution is a bit of a problem. Trying to stay competitive with newer, more powerful corps, local industry has bribed their way into VERY lax environmental regulations. They didn't even have to try too hard. The current appointees for the city were as corrupt as they come. They were accepting offers from all over, including the new corps. Lakes in the area and Anoka in the North are chemical dumping grounds, contaminating ground water and the Mississippi. The lax rules won't stand for long (they were adopted in 2069) but there is sure to be some outrage. Potential eco-terrorist runs.

Medical technology is big, including implant and even simsense technology reasearch. The medical colleges in Minneapolis supply a steady stream of freash minds to local bio-tech corps.

Some of this is pretty generic and sketchy. I would love a critique of what I have so far. Keep in mind that I'm not done. Input on what is not likely to happen or what you think ould be more interesting would be great! It takes a village to write a rpg setting biggrin.gif
Dread Polack
I like all of these ideas. In particular, I never thought much about NAN refugees or MSPs proximity to the NAN. The political situation is also something I've never been good with. Corps from Chicago is also a good idea. How long ago was the area nuked? That would give us an idea how integrated into MSP they are now.

I don't know much at all about Fort Snelling, so I'd want to read up on it before deciding how to use it. Additional military bases outside of the containment fence might make sense as well.

Dread Polack
stevebugge
An interesting angle you could work in is an energy dependence on Coal mined in the Sioux. As for refugees you could probably safely assume that people from the Dakotas, and Montana from east of Bozeman or Billings probably would have headed east. Keep in mind not all of them would have come that far east. The Dakotas were rughly split in half leaving the relatively large cities of Sioux Falls and Omaha in the UCAS. Military installations in each of those cities would have significantly grown in importance.
BrianL03
QUOTE (Dread Polack)
I like all of these ideas. In particular, I never thought much about NAN refugees or MSPs proximity to the NAN. The political situation is also something I've never been good with. Corps from Chicago is also a good idea. How long ago was the area nuked? That would give us an idea how integrated into MSP they are now.

I don't know much at all about Fort Snelling, so I'd want to read up on it before deciding how to use it. Additional military bases outside of the containment fence might make sense as well.

Dread Polack

Chicago got Bug City'd back in 2055, and didn't lose its Containment Zone status until '59(? My Bug City's packed up for the move). So if you're running SR4 canon, then you'll have at least 11 if not 15 years of time to usurp Chicago.
Samaels Ghost
Yeah, the refugees also make perfect opportunities for refugee zones that the runners can hide out in. Maybe the local government put some money into making cheap apartment complexes and housing for them that has since degraded. Slum apartment complexes.
Samaels Ghost
After thinking a little about the polictical situation I described above I have come to the conclusion that I am full of shite. How could a Magocrat candidate ever hope to win an election in a city where most are fearful of magic? It's more likely that a eco-progressive is running for mayor/senator. He could even be a Druid in secret biggrin.gif.

A recent mana storm to aggrevate the public's fears. It spawned from a domain created by magic students in the slums. All the anger and depression of life in the ghettoes has created a domain (rating 4) that the students aspected. The Christian theurge students try summoning and binding a powerful spirit in order to ask it questions about God and what-not. Their cheap foci crapped out in the middle of the ritual and the spirit went free. Amused with the students and their attempt at unearthing the secrets of life and the search for the manifestation of god (and his metaplane), the spirit decided to break/test their faith by forcing each to sin continuously. The most interesting of which is the spirit insisting (magically of course) that the students worship him and a forced addiction he gives them to their foci (worshipping idols...kinda). THe magical backlash of the spirit going free created a mana storm in the form of a serious blizzard. Those caught in the storm were temporaily affected by the same mental manipulations as the stundents creating an epic crime wave. More public distrust of magic, more strife in the inner city, disasterous storm damage and vandalism. This was years ago, though (2063-ish?). The residue in the astral plane is still there in 2070. Chaos on that wide a scale will do that.

The frontier town atmosphere alluded to in SoNA I intend to keep, but how I set that mood I'm unsure.... The extensive skyway system and the cold weather will keep people indoors leaving the sidewalks abandoned with only scattered cars and buses (yes, the bus system is still there. crappy and slow, but cheap). Vigilante justice will be common. Like I said before, local law enforcement is competent or unwilling to intervene. The city can't or won't pay the neccesary dues to keep the law services up to par. Needless to say, the UCAS government is more than a little peeved. They won't act directly, however. The many problems the MSP has had forced on it gives them a little leway, but their slack is running out. Shape up or ship out. Citizens that are tight lipped about mob/gang/smuggler activity is common, further enforcing that frantier sprawl feeling. I guess...
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (stevebugge)
An interesting angle you could work in is an energy dependence on Coal mined in the Sioux. As for refugees you could probably safely assume that people from the Dakotas, and Montana from east of Bozeman or Billings probably would have headed east. Keep in mind not all of them would have come that far east. The Dakotas were rughly split in half leaving the relatively large cities of Sioux Falls and Omaha in the UCAS. Military installations in each of those cities would have significantly grown in importance.

How much dependance do you think anyone has on coal for an energy source? Is it still a major energy source? What would it be used for?
stevebugge
In 2070 Coal likely would still be useful for steam turbine electrical plants. Nuclear and fusion are certainly available, but they are expensive which might make a city where the goverment is trying to be cheap might stick with coal fired turbines for electricity generation.
Samaels Ghost
Would such consumption cause pollution?
Dread Polack
As a fairly progressive state, and someone who likes to feel optimistic about my state, I imagine cleaner power sources in the future. One thing in the news recently is that MN might be one of the best states for wind energy. I think I will put that in my own MSP setting.

I agree that people in MSP wouldn't be any less suspiscious of mages, unless you worked something into the background. I mentioned various magical institutions, but I think the "Minnesota Nice" attitude toward magic is like a lot of things in MN. We're mostly white, mostly Protestant Christians, but with increasing muslim and non-white populations, we remain pretty tolerant and peaceful. I don't think there's a lot of burning hatred. Plenty of grumbling from people like my racist grandpa, but not so much hatred. Anyway, I think magical groups would be tolerated, but distrusted.

Dread Polack
Samaels Ghost
I didn't figure they wouldn't be distrustful for no reason. Dangerous awakended wildlife, magical incidents like mana storms, high background count in certain areas attracts many different magical groups and creates quite a bit of conflict. Magic in the MSP gets a lot of attention and most of that attention os negative, unfortunately frown.gif

Here's some more stuff I came up with. Lists of heirarchy for all kinds of different groups in MSP

MSP setting outline

Magic prejudice
Magical area (high positive background counts)
Government funneling of emergency funds into elected officials pockets
Northern critter fence
Merged cities
NAN refugee camp in west
Chicago business refugees in east
Lakes polluted
Nicolette island Arcology
Anoka chemical barrens
Magical wildlife in North
Fort Snelling major Airforce base upgrade
Christian Theurge students summon spirit and create sin storm.
Mafia control over most smuggling
Burgeoning resistance by smuggler against Mafia control
[crime syndicate] seeks to usurp the Mafia as head of vice
Scientologists machinations interfere with runners daily (how?)
Human trafficking/slavery very lucrative business
Kidnapping and cosmetic enhancement of ghetto teens to sell as slaves

Note: keep most magic low-key, not that powerful. Too much magic ass whoopings and the party will get mad.

Scale of Magical Influence (descending order)
Northern Druids
The Church of Scientology
Order of Divine Inquiry
The Catholic Church
Romany Witches’ Cabal
The Call of Ghede
Heremetic and Shamanistic College Students
Wiz-Gangs

Scale of Criminal Influence (descending order)
Mafia
Fixer networks
Smuggler crews
Talisleggers
Indi runner groups
Runners
Chi Town and Pinkskin Community Watch
BotNet club (Matrix crime ring, slaving low-sec comms)
Phone Phreakers (BTL dealers, deal through bums)
Vigilante Security outfits
Gangs

Corporate Pecking order
Ares something
Horizon Group
+Entertainment
NeoNet Manufacturing
Primus Data Systems
Florence Black Security
Regional Legal Services
Pratt Personnel
Biotech and Medical corps
Kosmin Global Exchange

Political Climate
Eco-progressive Party
Corrupt Corp puppets
???
Kalvan
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Northern Druids
Order of Divine Inquiry
The Catholic Church
Romany Witches’ Cabal
The Call of Ghede
Wiz-Gangs

Where do the Asatru and Minnesota Synod Lutheran church fit in? The upper midwest is famous for its Scandinavian population. (Swedes in Wisconsin, northern Minnesota and northern Illinois, Norwegians in Minnesota, Finns in the Michigan Upper Peninsula, Icelanders on various Lake Superior and Lake Michigan Islands)
stevebugge
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Would such consumption cause pollution?

It depends on the quality of coal they use, and how efficient the furnaces are. They could be relatively clean or they could belch out huge clouds of black smoke.

I agree that today's Minnesota likely wouldn't be rushing to build coal fired generators, I suggested this mostly because it would give a developing setting some plot points in the form of tense but necessary cross border trade with the Sioux, a focal point for the Eco-Terrorist/activist factions in MSP, corrupt city and energy company officials, and would provide soot for a gritty backdrop (Grey Snow yeah!)

Yeah for it to make sense you would probably have to write in a strange political shift during thr resource rush or something. It could be that by 2065-70 no one in MSP likes the coal plant but it's too expensive to replace.
Samaels Ghost
I'm not familiar with either of those groups. I'll look them up on Wikipedia later, though
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Aug 17 2006, 10:32 AM)
It could be that by 2065-70 no one in MSP likes the coal plant but it's too expensive to replace.

Or that wealthy investors are in too deep to get out.

During the resource rush rich business men see an opportunity and grab at it. WIth the prices of everything else skyrocketing, they buy up coal and make new coal electric generators for the city. A mistake, of course. It wasn't the best idea. But when MSP's population grows, the plants become neccesary and the desperate corporate losers that wasted their money make a last ditch effort to collect on their folly. They pressure city officials and representatives into intregrating the plants into a vital spot in the city's (and eventually cities) electrical grid. A little sabotage later and the coal-based companies are nearly the ONLY power source for the city.

Finally seeing a return on their investment they dig themselves deeper. The original sources for the coal within a weak country's borders (someone they can easily manipulate to get the want without the hassle of major taxes) dries up and Coal-Energy are forced to find a new source. Maybe the said country gets taken over by a strict dictator or rebels usurp power and keep the coal to burgeon their own growing economy. The closest new source of coal that Coal-Power can find? The NAN. Conflict ensues ork.gif

Coal-Energy pushes to get the coal cheaper and without restrictions. The NAN holds their ground. Eco-terrorists opposed to the now filthy environment that the MSP has become, petition NAN leaders to cut off Coal-Energy and sabotage MSP electrical plants in the meantime. Power-outages are a nice twist to any run ork.gif

Coal-Power and the polititians in their pocket run the energy business. They've even won contracts to clean up richer neighborhoods in MSP, the same mess they made! If any local business wants to get in on the lax-pollution laws the Coal-Power has helped propagate, they have to have the support of Coal-Power's token polititians and lobbyists. Unless you're a mega. Who love it here in MSP. Their munfacturing plants usually aren't sued if a little bit of sludge escapes into the surrounding area. Polluting the Mississippi is harder because it runs through other jurisdictions, so that is discouraged. Anoka, the polluted barrens to the north of MSP are a constant legal battleground for the very same reason as above: it often seeps into the Mississppi.

Note: Coal-Power's name will be changed biggrin.gif

Thanks for the inspriation stevebugge!
Samaels Ghost
Where do the Asatru and Minnesota Synod Lutheran church fit in?

I suppose the Minneapolis Area Synod would be of equal importance to he area as the Catholic church, but I'm not aware of how signifcant it is in the area nowadays. Maybe one rung above the Catholics.

Astaru would be yet another reason for distrust of the magic community. After the second Crash, people would be wary of what Astaru practioners are doing. Take the common rituals, for example:

QUOTE ("Street Magic")
Both Awakened and mundane Ásatru gather for great ceremonies
known as blots and sumbles. These are traditionally held
on Midsummer’s or Midwinter’s Day and the spring or autumn
equinoxes. Common ritual elements include trances, shaking or
dancing, libations of mead or blood, and torches. Blots are also
often marked by ritual animal sacrifice.

That's enough ammo to demonize them with if they really wanted to.

Those two change my chart a little:

Northern Druids
Order of Divine Inquiry
Minneapolis Area Synod
The Catholic Church
Astaru
Romany Witches’ Cabal
The Call of Ghede
Wiz-Gangs
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
I didn't figure they wouldn't be distrustful for no reason. Dangerous awakended wildlife, magical incidents like mana storms, high background count in certain areas attracts many different magical groups and creates quite a bit of conflict. Magic in the MSP gets a lot of attention and most of that attention os negative, unfortunately frown.gif

Here's some more stuff I came up with. Lists of heirarchy for all kinds of different groups in MSP

MSP setting outline

Magic prejudice
Magical area (high positive background counts)
Government funneling of emergency funds into elected officials pockets
Northern critter fence
Merged cities
NAN refugee camp in west
Chicago business refugees in east
Lakes polluted
Nicolette island Arcology
Anoka chemical barrens
Magical wildlife in North
Fort Snelling major Airforce base upgrade
Christian Theurge students summon spirit and create sin storm.
Mafia control over most smuggling
Burgeoning resistance by smuggler against Mafia control
[crime syndicate] seeks to usurp the Mafia as head of vice
Scientologists machinations interfere with runners daily (how?)
Human trafficking/slavery very lucrative business
Kidnapping and cosmetic enhancement of ghetto teens to sell as slaves

Note: keep most magic low-key, not that powerful. Too much magic ass whoopings and the party will get mad.

Northern Druids
Order of Divine Inquiry
The Catholic Church
Romany Witches’ Cabal
The Call of Ghede
Wiz-Gangs

Scale of Criminal Influence (descending order)
Mafia
Fixer networks
Smuggler crews
Talisleggers
Indi runner groups
Runners
Chi Town and Pinkskin Community Watch
BotNet club (Matrix crime ring, slaving low-sec comms)
Phone Phreakers (BTL dealers, deal through bums)
Vigilante Security outfits
Gangs

Corporate Pecking order
Ares something
Horizon Group
+Entertainment
NeoNet Manufacturing
Primus Data Systems
Florence Black Security
Regional Legal Services
Pratt Personnel
Biotech and Medical corps
Kosmin Global Exchange

Political Climate
Eco-progressive Party
Corrupt Corp puppets
???

Saint Cloud checking in... I wonder if you might not be underestimating the influence of the Catholic Church in the area?
Samaels Ghost
AH. I see what you're saying. However, I intended the list not to reflect popularity, but rather the magical power level of the groups involved. I suppose the list titles are a misnomer. More like "Scale of Magical Potency(descending order)"

Even then, the Catholic Church should be pretty powerful, neh? I suppose I was thinking that without good reason to be there they may not devote their magical resources to the place. Not many high church inquistors or anything.
Maybe I'm wrong there. If there was an incident with a Free Spirit angel or whatever, the church would be very interested. Aspecting the surrounding domains would be in their interest, but not as high a priority. Actual powerful theurges in MSP are few. They are limited to those investigating the Blasphemy and those who are in charge in the area. So the higher ups. As for large, local casting circles and magical groups, Scientology and Northern Druids have them beat. The Catholic Church could reinforce whoever is there, but those in the MSP right now are less powerful then those listed above them.

And another change, considering the title was a misnomer:

Scale of Magical Potentcy (descending order)
Northern Druids
Order of Divine Inquiry
Astaru
The Catholic Church
Minneapolis Area Synod
Romany Witches’ Cabal
The Call of Ghede
Wiz-Gangs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012