Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Implanting new Cyber- and Bio-ware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Iron Guardian
My group has just recently started playing SR4 ('ported our characters over from SR3) and the question came up regarding getting new (or upgrading current) cyber- and bio-ware. Previous rules sets went into some detail about this - costs, damage received from surgery, and recovery times (don't recall if there were any rules regarding rejection or not). Sr4 seems rather vague about these details, plus IIRC, lifestyle no longer affects recovery times and stuff?

I was wondering if there has been any clarification in these regards as I hope I don't have to wait until certain sourcebooks come out to find out.

We did have another concern about lifestyles in that the rules state only one may be purchased, but decided to go by previous rules as my character maintains several (high plus 3 middle lifestyles -what can I say, my character has some wealth biggrin.gif ) and others may want to go that route.
Dr. Dodge
sorry it's what you don't want to hear: probably gotta wait until Augmentation comes out.
booklord
I normally just inflict a wound on the character loosely based off the type of implant, the essense cost, and the skill of the surgeon. Runners aren't required to stick around for any bed rest. Most cyber-clinics and street docs send the implantee out back onto the street the same day of surgery. (Anti-infection and other post-surgical drugs are far superior than today) They can do their healing back home.

Both me and my group decided the "Damage and Healing" and "Surgery" sections of SR3's "Man and Machine:Cyberware" was punitive and over-complicated. Those sections were ignored as we felt they added nothing positive to the game. Unless "Augmentation" does a far better job I see little reason to break from the way I'm doing it now.
Iron Guardian
I can see that method for the more common and less invasive implants, but it would stand to reason that unless nanotech or some such method is used, implants such as wired reflexes, bone-lacing, dermo-armor, some headware (that which involves the brain), and muscle-replacement should involve a lot more time in surgery and recovery as these are quite invasive and complicated surgeries. I would also think there should be some chance of rejection, but I guess allergies could handle that. cool.gif
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (Iron Guardian @ Aug 2 2006, 07:41 PM)
I can see that method for the more common and less invasive implants, but it would stand to reason that unless nanotech or some such method is used, implants such as wired reflexes, bone-lacing, dermo-armor, some headware (that which involves the brain), and muscle-replacement should involve a lot more time in surgery and recovery as these are quite invasive and complicated surgeries.  I would also think there should be some chance of rejection, but I guess allergies could handle that. cool.gif

p. 330 under "Headware"

"These small complex devices are inserted into the head (typically constructed via less-invasive nanosurgery)"
TBRMInsanity
If you want to role play out the surgery and time needed to heal from surgery use one of the older books as a guild line to the time it would take. They were a good benchmark.
Bull
Generally, I'd say that the surgery rules (and times) from Man & Machine would still fit, for the most part. May need to make a couple tweaks.

But yeah, I wouldn;t expect to see any hard SR4 rules for that till AUgmentation.

Bull
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Bull)
Generally, I'd say that the surgery rules (and times) from Man & Machine would still fit, for the most part. May need to make a couple tweaks.

'a couple of tweaks' is a nice way of talking about a complete rewrite. wink.gif

Let's hope we never see such a bloated system anymore - especially one that punishes mundanes.
Serbitar
\signed
Dread Polack
I don't remember how the old rules worked exactly, but I'd probably have each implant do a base amount of damage, which would be lowered by 1 for each hit on a Logic + Medicine (Implant Surgery) roll. A glitch would inflict more damage, lowered by the hits. I don't know if I'd inflict base damage again or if I'd go for half-again, or some other system. Here's an example.

Runner A is getting implant B. It's base implant damage is 8 (a fairly invasive surgery, one that people can die from if performed by an incompetant surgeon or in substandard conditions). The GM first makes an extended Logic + Medicine test to see how long it takes (for ease, the threshold can be the same as the damage, with an interval based on how complicated it is- like an hour for this one). He decides to simply buy hits in order to ensure a safe operation. 4 hours later, the surgery is complete.

Then, closing up, the GM makes a final roll to see how much bleeding and trauma took place, getting 3 hits this time (for drama, he isn't buying hits). This leaves the patient with a 5-point wound to heal. In the new rules, he'll heal this in 1-2 days. In my houserules, it'll heal in take 8 days.

Wost case scenario, the doc glitches on his closing roll, getting 1 hit. This would inflict more damage, we'll say half-again, or 12-hits, or 11 boxes. This puts the patient into overflow, which the doc must now save him from.

A critical glitch could inflict twice base damage. This procedure would kill nearly all patients. I would probably allow the PC to spend edge to cancel glitches or burn edge to survive.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure it would require refinement.

Dread Polack
Bull
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
'a couple of tweaks' is a nice way of talking about a complete rewrite. wink.gif

Let's hope we never see such a bloated system anymore - especially one that punishes mundanes.

I was mainly thinking of the actual Surgery tables on pp.150-151 of M&M.

You can either can either tranlate the damage codes into their original "Boxes of damage" equivelant (Light = 1, Moderate = 3, etc), or to maintain the modifier ration, say 3 boxes per wound level.

For healing times, once you figure in damage, just use the base healing rules from SR4.

For everything else, all you need to do is convert the bonus/penalty table. Assume a TN 4 (average/base SR3 TN) = 2 Hits (Average SR4 Threshold Difficulty). You can convert stright across (-2 TN = +2 dice), though looking at the SR4 healing modifiers vs the surery modifiers in M&M, the SR4 dice modifiers are sometimes one or two higher than their equivelants. Possibly because healing seems to be faster overall in SR4.

Simple enough, really wink.gif

Bull
Aaron
My ruling would be even simpler. I'd just say that the patient gets twice the Essence cost (rounded up) in boxes of physical damage, and then let them heal normally. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

See, I think that the less important something is to the plot or dramatic tension or what have you, the less time should be spent on it. Combat is dramatic; let it take ten minutes a round. Buying equipment isn't dramatic, so a certain amount of hand-waving and abstraction is fine.
Bull
Agreed there. I don;t think I've ever bothered with damage from cyber implantation, or even any of the rules for it.

However, he did ask specifically for rules, so... I gave him some ork.gif
Dread Polack
QUOTE (Aaron)
My ruling would be even simpler. I'd just say that the patient gets twice the Essence cost (rounded up) in boxes of physical damage, and then let them heal normally. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

See, I think that the less important something is to the plot or dramatic tension or what have you, the less time should be spent on it. Combat is dramatic; let it take ten minutes a round. Buying equipment isn't dramatic, so a certain amount of hand-waving and abstraction is fine.

Sounds like a great way to handle it.

However, regarding what you said about dramatic tension: I believe, depending on the campaign style, adding a level of detail to something like this can add quite a bit to the game. Especially in the case of the trip to the shady street-doc, where the PC doesn't know how he'll come out. Or, if a PC is actually performing the operation, a simple pass/fail and predetermined damage might be too little.

In RPGs in general I've always liked the idea of adding a level of detail to a subject other than than the standard combat and magic. In SR, you also have hacking, which is cool. Things like building and repairing are lightly fleshed out beyond a simple roll vs. threshold, but you could write a system of rules as complicated as combat or hacking to handle the way you build vehicles (I think they pretty much do in Rigger 3). One of the areas I've always wanted to do this was medicine. Of course, if no one in the campaign has more than first aid 1, the rules would be overkill, but I play a bear shaman/street doc, and some expanded biotech rules could make it more fun.

Dread Polack
Shrike30
I usually figure the implantation costs, etc, are rolled into the cost of the item. So many things are done with nanosurgery and gene therapy these days (bone density augmentation, anyone?) that it doesn't make a lot of sense to charge through the nose for this.

If a character gets an implant during a short downtime, I eyeball their lifestyle and a couple of other things, and assign them some damage based on what they got done. It's a really loose application of GM fiat, but it adds a little flavor.
Iron Guardian
I don't think the groups I'm in would be looking for something overly complicated. I do realize some groups love "crunchiness (lotsa detail)," while others prefer to ignore such things, I was thinking more along the lines of quick and dirty for those who fall somewhere between.

Perhaps something that gives base surgical times, target numbers, recovery times, or whatever; make a few rolls to see if surgeon does a decent job of it (with glitches maybe adding extra recovery time, or possibly even screwing up either the 'ware or patient/victim dead.gif due to critical glitch; critical successes maybe lowering recovery time or essence cost biggrin.gif ), the patient rolling to avoid death (due to doc's critical failure) or quicker recovery with lifestyle as modifier.

In either case, it just seems that some mods should take a bit longer to implant than the common mods that take maybe an hour or two, or perhaps an afternoon.

Just my 2 cents (or is it nuyen now?)... cool.gif
hyzmarca
Untill SR4 has a rule that says otherwise I'd presume that surgery does not cause a wound in the sense that a person who rolls well can take an assualt canon round through in the face without recieving a wound. Sure, there is damage, but it doesn't cause any penalties.

As for time, I'd say it depends on how common the item in question is. A datajack or implanted comlink can be installed in 15 minutes by a high school dropout who took a five-hour certification course at the YMCA. Dermal sheathing would be significantly more difficult to install.
Dread Polack
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Untill SR4 has a rule that says otherwise I'd presume that surgery does not cause a wound in the sense that a person who rolls well can take an assualt canon round through in the face without recieving a wound. Sure, there is damage, but it doesn't cause any penalties.

As for time, I'd say it depends on how common the item in question is. A datajack or implanted comlink can be installed in 15 minutes by a high school dropout who took a five-hour certification course at the YMCA. Dermal sheathing would be significantly more difficult to install.

I believe SR2 and maybe SR3 had a rule for this. Maybe a SR4 expansion will have it.

I happen to have a friend who recently had an "operation" and was on vicodin and had to ice the "area" the "operation" took place in while we gamed last weekend. I'd say that:

1) he took damage from the "operation"

and

2) he was functioning at a penalty to skill rolls, even with the vicodin.

So, ignore it if it's just a pain in the ass in your game. I fully intend to make getting implants more than paying nuyen, making availability rolls, and suddenly having +2 to your Reaction. I like to make a big deal out of non-combat/magic/hacking/rigging events as possible in my game. Hopefully, it's still interesting, or my players will tell me so.

Dread Polack
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Dread Polack)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 3 2006, 06:54 PM)

I believe SR2 and maybe SR3 had a rule for this. Maybe a SR4 expansion will have it.

I happen to have a friend who recently had an "operation" and was on vicodin and had to ice the "area" the "operation" took place in while we gamed last weekend. I'd say that:

1) he took damage from the "operation"

and

2) he was functioning at a penalty to skill rolls, even with the vicodin.

So, ignore it if it's just a pain in the ass in your game. I fully intend to make getting implants more than paying nuyen, making availability rolls, and suddenly having +2 to your Reaction. I like to make a big deal out of non-combat/magic/hacking/rigging events as possible in my game. Hopefully, it's still interesting, or my players will tell me so.

Dread Polack

SR3 did have surgery rules. There were only two problems with them. 1) They contradicted fluff. According to some of the fluff you can get a datajack installed at a store in the mall in just a few minutes and you can have your eyes scooped out and replaced in a similar store. SR3 surgery rules made this considerably more difficult an time-consuming. 2) They were insane. Absolutely insane.

Hopefully, the SR4 rules will be better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012