Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Printings
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Canterbury Tail
How many printings of the actual SR4 rulebook have there been so far? I have the limited edition but it looks like I'll be running the game soon (finally) and I want a normal rulebook to use at the table. Obviously I want to have as complete a main book as possible with as much of the errata filled in as possible. So anyone know? Of course someone does, this board is a veritable font of knowledge.

Edit: While we're at it, how many editions of the PDF have there been? I've got 1.3.
hobgoblin
i think its been 3, alltho 2 and 3 uses the same version of the text.

and 1.3 is the latest if you check srrpg.com
Jrayjoker
Two printings, 3 pdfs, still need to download the errata from the website www.srrpg.com
Adam
Three printings, plus the limited edition. 1.3 is the latest PDF and corresponds to the 2nd/3rd printing -- there were no text changes between those two printings.
The Canterbury Tail
Thank you, that's all I needed to know. Ta for your help.
Casper
Wow I guess that really shows how much the market has changed. I remember way back when I got Sr3 when it first came out it was already in its fourth printing by the time I first saw it in stores.
GoblynByte
Three printings, plus the limited edition. 1.3 is the latest PDF and corresponds to the 2nd/3rd printing -- there were no text changes between those two printings.

I was lucky enough to snag the "corrected third printing" and it contians all the corrections from the 1.3 erratta. Even the ones in green type. No kidding. I checked each and every one of them. I picked this copy up probably a month ago.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Adam)
1.3 is the latest PDF and corresponds to the 2nd/3rd printing

It's my understanding that there is a difference between the 3rd printing and the ver 1.3 PDF on p.228 in the second paragraph under the Virtual Reality heading, with regards whether or not cranial commlinks contain sim modules. The 3rd printing says they do, but the 1.3 PDF omits that text.

If this difference does exist, which version is considered correct?
Brahm
QUOTE (Casper)
Wow I guess that really shows how much the market has changed. I remember way back when I got Sr3 when it first came out it was already in its fourth printing by the time I first saw it in stores.

It was likely some time on when you saw it in the store. SR4 has been going through their printings faster than SR3.
GoblynByte
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 4 2006, 01:27 PM)
1.3 is the latest PDF and corresponds to the 2nd/3rd printing

It's my understanding that there is a difference between the 3rd printing and the ver 1.3 PDF on p.228 in the second paragraph under the Virtual Reality heading, with regards whether or not cranial commlinks contain sim modules. The 3rd printing says they do, but the 1.3 PDF omits that text.

If this difference does exist, which version is considered correct?

If you are referring to the line "Simrigs (both worn and implanted) also contain sim modules," than I do have that line in my hardcopy. If what you say is true than there is some errata missing from the 1.3 erratta that made it into the 1.3 PDF version.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (GoblynByte)
If you are referring to the line "Simrigs (both worn and implanted) also contain sim modules," than I do have that line in my hardcopy. If what you say is true than there is some errata missing from the 1.3 erratta that made it into the 1.3 PDF version.

The line in my Limited Edition printing reads "Simrigs (both worn and implanted) and cranial commlinks also contain sim modules."

From what I've heard from other posters on Dumpshock, the "and cranial commlinks also" is included in their third edition printings, but omitted from copies of the v1.3 PDF. I don't have either, so I can't confirm directly that this is the case, but someone is asking about it in Bull's unofficial Matrix FAQ thread, for what it's worth.

As you mention, this subject is not touched upon in the v1.3 errata. Since the official line is that the v1.3 PDF corresponds to the 2nd/3rd printing corresponds to the v1.3 errata, you can see why I'm trying to find clarification about this inconsistency.
GoblynByte
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
[From what I've heard from other posters on Dumpshock, the "and cranial commlinks also" is included in their third edition printings, but omitted from copies of the v1.3 PDF. I don't have either, so I can't confirm directly that this is the case, but someone is asking about it in Bull's unofficial Matrix FAQ thread, for what it's worth.

My hardcopy, stated as being the "corrected third printing" in the credit page, includes all the corrections noted in the 1.3 errata pdf (not the full game book pdf), but does not include the "and cranial commlink also" line. I'm not sure what that means, though. wink.gif
hobgoblin
nor is it there in my second printing copy.
RunnerPaul
That's interesting. So either there are two different versions of the Corrected Third Printing hardcopy, or the reports of copies with that line in are incorrect.

Interesting.
GoblynByte
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Aug 5 2006, 01:10 PM)
That's interesting. So either there are two different versions of the Corrected Third Printing hardcopy, or the reports of copies with that line in are incorrect.

Interesting.

So in otherwords, if it isn't in the "corrected third printing," and it is not on the PDF, the line doesn't exist anywhere? Is there a version that does have that line? Just the limited edition? I wasn't even aware of a limited edition.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (GoblynByte)
Is there a version that does have that line? Just the limited edition?

First printing, both regular and limited edition.
hobgoblin
so the question is, did they errata it but forgot to put it into the 1.3 errata list?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
so the question is, did they errata it but forgot to put it into the 1.3 errata list?

Or did they consider this to be among the "minor typos, incorrect page references
and other small cosmetic changes" that they didn't feel were worth listing in the errata?
hobgoblin
if so, they have a strange sense of "cosmetic changes"...
Adam
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
That's interesting. So either there are two different versions of the Corrected Third Printing hardcopy ...

There aren't. I don't have time right this minute to consult my various files and figure out what the correct version is supposed to be, but there are not multiple print runs of any SR4 printing.
hobgoblin
iirc there is a first printing (basicly both the limited and normal version), a second printing (containing the 1.3 errata), and a third printing (more or less a new print run of the second printing).

but as i said, iirc...
Brahm
I'm not sure exactly what this is about. Both the 1.2 and 1.3 version of the PDF look like this:

QUOTE ( Copy-Paste of first 2 sentences of second paragraph)

A simsense module is required to access full VR. Th e sim
module is a commlink accessory that you access with a datajack
or trode net. Simrigs (both worn and implanted) and cranial
commlinks also contain sim modules.

I don't have the first version of the PDF handy, it'll be backed up somewhere.

EDIT Checked it, the original PDF download also has that "and cranial commlinks also" wording.
RunnerPaul
So it's in the PDF, but not in the hardcopy? That's backwards from what I heard, but still quite odd.
Brahm
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
So it's in the PDF, but not in the hardcopy? That's backwards from what I heard, but still quite odd.

No idea whether or not it is in the 3rd printing hardcopy, I can't confirm that since I've only got a Limited Edition one.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Brahm @ Aug 5 2006, 05:03 PM)
No idea whether or not it is in the 3rd printing hardcopy, I can't confirm that since I've only got a Limited Edition one.

Same boat here, but since GoblynByte says his third printing hardcopy omits the line and hobgoblin says his second printing hardcopy also omits the line, then there's a definite disconnect here, since the line is in all your versions of the PDF.
GoblynByte
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Aug 5 2006, 05:03 PM)

Same boat here, but since GoblynByte says his third printing hardcopy omits the line and hobgoblin says his second printing hardcopy also omits the line, then there's a definite disconnect here, since the line is in all your versions of the PDF.

The mention of "cranial" does not appear in my 3rd print copy. But again it does contain all other corrections from the 1.3 erratta listings. This is odd indeed. It seems like they had it in, took it out, then put it back in for the PDF version. Perhaps it has something to do with the source they used for the PDF version?
Adam
The print version is correct. The PDF will be corrected/updated to version 1.4 in sync with the fourth printing, later this year.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Adam)
The print version is correct.

Good to know. Looks like Bull will have an answer to at least one of the questions on his Unofficial Hacking FAQ that he's been soliciting questions for.
Elve
I hope the PDF version will this time be better printable than the 1.3 version
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012