Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Initiative Passes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
bloodnmetal
Well, (as far as I understood) up to Shadowrun 3rd Edition, combat initiative was rolled (reaction + initiative dices) on the following way: (please correct me if i'm wrong)

Merc 01 > Rolled 32
Merc 02 > Rolled 27
Thug 01 > Rolled 13
Thug 02 > Rolled 09

1ST "ROUND":
Merc 01, Merc 02, Thug 01, Thug 02
2ND "ROUND":
Merc 01, Merc 02, Thug 01
3RD "ROUND":
Merc 01, Merc 02
4TH "ROUND":
Merc 01

Now along with Shadowrun 4th Edition we have Initiative Passes... can someone explain to me how does it work? I've searched for it here, but i was unable to find an answer...
Brahm
QUOTE (bloodnmetal @ Aug 6 2006, 07:32 PM)
Well, (as far as I understood) up to Shadowrun 3rd Edition, combat initiative was rolled (reaction + initiative dices) on the following way: (please correct me if i'm wrong)

Merc 01 > Rolled 32
Merc 02 > Rolled 27
Thug 01 > Rolled 13
Thug 02 > Rolled 09

1ST "ROUND":
Merc 01, Merc 02, Thug 01, Thug 02
2ND "ROUND":
Merc 01, Merc 02, Thug 01
3RD "ROUND":
Merc 01, Merc 02
4TH "ROUND":
Merc 01

Now along with Shadowrun 4th Edition we have Initiative Passes... can someone explain to me how does it work? I've searched for it here, but i was unable to find an answer...

No, after the first round you went to a total left after subtacting 10 each time you acted. So.

Merc 01 (32), Merc 02 (27), Thug 01 (13), Thug 02(9)

Merc 01 (22)

Merc 02 (17), Merc 01(12)

Thug 01 (3), Merc 01(2)

Prior to SR3 it was the same except you weren't guaranteed to act before everyone else got a second pass. So it would be

Merc 01 (32),
Merc 02 (27),
Merc 01 (22),
Merc 02 (17),
Thug 01 (13),
Merc 01(12),
Thug 02(9),
Thug 01 (3),
Merc 01(2)

As you can see this lead to it really sucking to be a Thug, as it was quite unlikely they'd get to act. Ever again. nyahnyah.gif Especially when the Mercs were built so that 32 was a low roll. It was better when you were rolling low, like say you were a mage, but the wired jockeys were on your side. But not much because usually combat was pretty much wrapped up by the time you got to act first, unless there was something that was astral only.
bloodnmetal
yeah... i also think initiative on the SR3 (and prior editions) system is "kinda" unfair, but let me see if i got this straight:

1st "ROUND":
1st to act = Merc 01 (32), 2nd = Merc 02 (27), 3rd = Thug 01 (13), 4th = Thug 02(9)
2nd "ROUND":
Only Merc 01 (22) can act
3rd "ROUND":
1st to act = Merc 02 (17), 2nd = Merc 01(12)
4th "ROUND":
1st to act = Thug 01 (3), 2nd = Merc 01(2)

is that it?

but now back to SR4, what is this Initiative Pass thing and how does it work?

btw, thanks Brahm!
Brahm
That's the order, yes. I believe they always were called Passes, not rounds. It's been a while now though, so I'd have to check on terminology to be certain.

Now in SR4 each mundane metahuman has 1 Initiative Passes (IP). On top of this you can implant bioware or cyberware that add a fixed number of IP. There is also an Adept Power and a spell that can increase your IP, and a few drugs give an IP boost as well. None of these types actually work ('stack') with each other BTW. Also there is a new Attribute called Edge that works a bit like the old Karma Pool. You can spend a point of Edge to get a bonus IP for that Combat Turn (a Turn is just like the old Combat Turn, that composed of the full set of passes coming from one rolling of Initiative).

There is a total cap of 4 IP within a Combat Turn. You just can't can any more than 4 IP, no how, no way. At the start of the Combat Turn you roll all your Initiative dice. Initiative is a stat that is separate from your total number of IP, it roughly the total of your Reaction and Intuition Attributes and is around 10. The number of 'hits' (5's or 6's) that you roll is added to that Initiative you just rolled. That is used to determine who acts first in each Pass. You may also in any given Pass queue jump in front of everyone by spending a point of Edge.

So now there is a chance that someone that only acts in 1 Pass can act before everyone else, though this is rare since because of the way the augmentation bonus' are grouped the person with more IP also normally, although not always, has a higher Initiative so they have better odds of going first.

P.S. A critter can have 2 IP or even 3 IP naturally.
bloodnmetal
hhmmm... i believe i've got it now!
thanks a lot Brahm! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012