Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Number One (with a bullet)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/523.html

#1: Shadowrun (GEN)
Ah, how ironic and unlikely that the very pinnacle of originality would be found on a 16-bit console. The creativity of Shadowrun has remained uncontested to this day. Before it, there was nothing like it, and today there is still nothing like it. This action-RPG game came with an impressive, built-in backdrop in its adaptation from the eponymous pen-and-paper RPG. It draws players into a unique world, whose concepts and intricacies are far too detailed to explain here. You may think that you know your way around a 16-bit console, but the learning curve is pretty steep in this game. You will be introduced to a variety of unfamiliar concepts and terms (i.e., ‘Johnsons’, ‘deckers’, ‘Matrix’) in addition to some unorthodox gameplay. From its theatrical onset, the game launches you into Seattle, 2058, where you play the Shadowrunner, taking jobs and earning cred so that you can get the information you seek to avenge your brother’s murder. The game is rather hard and the story is quite good. Luckily, it offers plenty of jobs, equipment and character advancement to bide your time with. The sheer number of innovations this game brings to the table is mind-boggling. The depth of the backstory is comparable only to Dungeons and Dragons or Star Wars. Anyone who has ever picked up a Shadowrun manual for the pen-and-paper game knows exactly what I’m talking about. The legacy of Shadowrun is infamous inside and outside of console gaming. Bottom line: If you ever play a Shadowrun game, make this it.

List by ManillaRoad
Critias
You know all this does is make us hate the new so-called Shadowrun game more, right?
Grinder
So we'll become shining balls of hate?
hobgoblin
hehe, great balls of flaming hatred nyahnyah.gif
Jrayjoker
I'm revving up my hate engine. Model year 2007!
hobgoblin
do you want some high octane bile with that?
Drace
Im pretty sure he's talking about the sega game, not the new one.
Ivanhoe
QUOTE (Drace)

Of course it is, that is what the (GEN) in the title stands for : Sega Genesis. I have yet to find a positive review of the XBOX 360 shadowrun game...
Jrayjoker
I had to explain to a friend (who doesn't play pen and paper RPGs) why I could not in good conscience play the Microsoft Shadowrun computer game. His eyes glassed over pretty quickly. We talked about cars for a while and he came back from LaLa Land soon enough.
KarmaInferno
Just tell your friend it'd be like they were making a Superman movie, only Superman wears black leather, drives around in a Supermobile, and does crazy alien martial arts.

(Sadly, I didn't make that up - it was in the scripts for the Superman movie at one point.)
SL James
And yet Kevin Smith talks shit about Bryan Singer...
JonathanC
QUOTE (Ivanhoe)
QUOTE (Drace @ Aug 9 2006, 10:50 AM)

Of course it is, that is what the (GEN) in the title stands for : Sega Genesis. I have yet to find a positive review of the XBOX 360 shadowrun game...

If you've found ANY reviews of that game, I'd be shocked...isn't due out for another year or so, right? wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012