Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmented Reality and Virtual Persons in combat?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp

Augmented Reality and Virtual Persons in combat?

How realistic is AR? Let’s use the hologram for reference who requires a Perception (3) roll to discover if it is real or not – and AR is even more lifelike.

How do you know that the two bodyguards with the Johnson are real or not, unless you switch off the public reception of your commlink and see only blank walls where the two thugs were standing…

Hackers and those relying on AR would probably be the most vulnerable to this unless they completely cut off public information streamed from other peoples commlinks – and as far as I know there is no filtering per RAW that allows you to accept certain feeds but not others.

It would make the game even more interesting since you could have AR images of Johnsons who does not want to meet in public or stay away for securities sake.

Would you start thinking that a person is real or not when you see him draw a gun and you hear the sound of gunfire – or would you throw yourself to the ground and wondering about the lack of bullet impacts around you a split second later…
booklord
How do you know that the two bodyguards with the Johnson are real or not, unless you switch off the public reception of your commlink and see only blank walls where the two thugs were standing…

I believe that SR4 stated that matrix images no matter how well done are always obviously computer generated. The exception being if you're in a ultra-violet node.

So unless someone upgraded your commlink to work as a UV node you should be able to tell the difference with a simple perception test ( probably threshold 1)
hobgoblin
you can not see another users "virtual person" unless he allows it, iirc...
booklord
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Even if they're not using a stealth program?
Rotbart van Dainig
Yes. Everything else requires hacking the viewers.
The Jopp
QUOTE (booklord)
I believe that SR4 stated that matrix images no matter how well done are always obviously computer generated. The exception being if you're in a ultra-violet node.

I’ll have to disagree since the AR experience are an improvement on the already well used Trideo and I’d believe that AR 3D would be just as good as the holo projector.

With the advancement of computer and software engineering it would all depend on the program.

For example:

--
Virtual Person: Simulate your favorite person!
Whether it’s your ex-boyfriend or your favorite sim starlet,
just access or upload their personal data, modify it as you
see fit, and project the person into your life just like the real
deal

This program only simulates one person at a time, and
the realism in behavior depends on the amount of data given
as well as the processing power of your commlink—best results
are achieved with a growing assortment of downloadable
sim-persons (including sim stars like Tracy Monroe and
Neko-Katz).
--

The program could have the full range of sense input as sound, scent and tactile information. It would of course be simple to find out it’s a fake if the viewer can only see the image and not hear it talk since they might not all have sound and senseware but only an imagelink.

I would say that the difficulty is up to the GM but a good commlink (say Response 5) and a full range of sensory output would fool someone with complete AR input.

Besides, in combat you would have a split second to react and swift assailant suddenly popping up from behind a corner WOULD catch your attention even if you realized he was a fake a second later.
The Jopp
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

That's the entire point, to allow people to see them in order to use them as decoys and suchlike - you could probably order an agent to move it around.
hobgoblin
something tells me it would not be automatic but rather something like a popup that said "person x wants to share his virtual person with you, do you accept?" with a yes/no selection...
The Jopp
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 8 2006, 01:24 PM)
something tells me it would not be automatic but rather something like a popup that said "person x wants to share his virtual person with you, do you accept?" with a yes/no selection...

Hmm, most probably when using anything but Active PAN mode so the use would be limited at best.

Curses, foiled again. grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012