Full Version: Who's the Scarecrow?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Samaels Ghost
This is where I saw him.

Who is he?
SL James
He's one of Deus' Whites.

QUOTE (RA:S @ 68)
I saw two otaku in the basement. The first was a scarecrow with a hideous hooked nose and straw stuffing erupting from every seam. The second was boyish and had spiky silver hair.

The other otaku is Puck. Those two were some of the main Whites along with Pax and the Nubian.
Samaels Ghost
What happened to him? Did FanPro ruin him too?
SL James
No idea. I think he's mentioned in Brainscan, but I can't remember. Same with the Nubian.
Samaels Ghost
That's good. Leaves things open for awesome-ness
SL James
QUOTE (System Failure @ 50)
A nearly successful assassination attempt on Max Burnwell in early September and a sabotage attack on the East Coast Stock Exchange’s hardware a week later alerted Deus that Mirage had decided once again to interfere. In retaliation, one of Deus’s Whites, an otaku named Puck, was put in charge of an effort to attack the local otaku tribes. Other Whites, the Nubian and Scarecrow, were dispatched to send Mirage a message.
On October 24th, 2064, a BTL snuff recording was uploaded to half a dozen pirate media hosts depicting the death of the anti-BTL activist known as Bloodyguts, one of Mirage’s favored otaku. Six days after that, Toronto police discover the body of Winston Griffith III, a famed philanthropist who led a secret double life as Dark Father—yet another of Mirage’s otaku.

After Deus’s escape from the Arcology into the Network, a number of Whites were abandoned or killed. At the time of this storyline, Deus’s has twelve Whites, made up of otaku who came to serve Deus willingly as opposed to those he created. They are “elder” otaku, in their late teens or early twenties, and possess the
bands on their upper left arm and the characteristic pure-white cybereyes (which are concealed most of the time under sunglasses or behind cosmetic contact lenses). Some example Whites follow, but there is opportunity for the gamemaster to create his own in the twelve:
• The Nubian, a young African-American girl named Laura who uses the icon of a Nubian queen in a white tunic as her icon.
• Scarecrow, a quadriplegic boy who depends on cyberware replacement to deal with his handicap, but is frightfully talented in the Matrix, where he appears with an icon that looks like a twisted scarecrow.

• Cat, an abused street urchin girl who never speaks, but prowls through the Matrix as a puma with glowing yellow eyes.

Emphasis mine.
Samaels Ghost
Thought I saw that somewhere. Thanks.
SL James
BTW, I figure if the Puck survived what happened on the ECSE trading floor, so did parts of the three AIs and some of the various Players in the whole plotline (which goes along with my comments about Dodger in the SR4 forum).
zeb.hillard
QUOTE (SL James)
No idea. I think he's mentioned in Brainscan, but I can't remember. Same with the Nubian.

What's a Nubian? (/Chasing Amy)
Critias
QUOTE (zeb.hillard)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 9 2006, 12:13 AM)

*blam blam blam*
SL James
QUOTE (zeb.hillard @ Aug 9 2006, 07:34 AM)

"Shut the fuck up!"

BTW, there's also a plot hook where Puck manipulates the runners into attempting to kidnap (and fail) the Scarecrow for Overwatch.
Chrome Shadow
Bloodyguts & Dark Father dead; that's sad...
Dog
QUOTE (zeb.hillard)

I don't get the joke, but the question got me thinking...

Is there a connection to Celedyr? I think DOTSW mentions a connection between the dragon and folks of Nubian descent.
Demonseed Elite

On Bloodyguts and Dark Father:

It's a tough life when you end up in the middle of a war between god-like AIs.

On the current whereabouts of Scarecrow, the Nubian, etc:

Unknown. But if Puck could survive the Singularity Event, there's a strong chance they could too.

On Puck:

Don't jump to conclusions about Puck. If there is one thing Puck is above all else, it is capricious.
SL James
QUOTE (Dog)
QUOTE (zeb.hillard @ Aug 9 2006, 01:34 PM)

I don't get the joke, but the question got me thinking...

It's from the opening scene of Chasy Amy. Describing it doesn't even begin to do it justice.
Grinder
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
On Puck:

Don't jump to conclusions about Puck. If there is one thing Puck is above all else, it is capricious.

I love it.
zeb.hillard
It doesn't do it justice at all, but perhaps I can try. Movie spoilers abound.

---

(Intro Scene, an angry militant black man named Hooper is promiting his new comic book in an open forum during a convention quite a few people are attenting. He's making a speech about his new character and continually getting heckled by Holden and Banky.)

Hooper: For years in this industry, whenever an African American character, hero or villain, was introduced - usually by white artists and writers - they got slapped with racist names that singled them out as Negroes. Now, my book, "White-Hating Coon," don't have none of that bullshit. The hero's name is Maleekwa, and he's descended from the black tribe that established the first society on the planet, while all you European motherfuckers were hiding out in caves and shit, all terrified of the sun. He's a strong role model that a young black reader can look up to. Cause I'm here to tell you, the chickens is coming home to roost, y'all. The black man's no longer gonna play the minstrel in the realm of comics and sci-fi fantasy. We keepin it real, and we gonna get respect by any means necessary.

Holden: Ah, come on, that's a bunch of horse shit! Lando Calrissian was a black guy. You know, and he got to fly the Millennium Falcon, what's the matter with you?

Hooper: Who said that?

Holden: I did! Lando Calrissian is a strong role-model in the realm of science fiction/fantasy.

Hooper: Fuck Lando Calrissian! Uncle-Tom nigger!

Hooper: Check this shit. You got cracker farm boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy, blond hair, blue eyes. And then you got Darth Vader, the blackest brother in the galaxy, Nubian god!

Banky Edwards: What's a "Nubian"?

Hooper: Shut the fuck up!

(After the shooting of Banky by Hooper, it turns out afterward that they're actually fairly good friends and the entire event was staged for the most part, not to mention that Hooper is quite effiminate and gay. I'll leave that for you to see.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012