Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost Artwork Of Early Editions...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kiwi
One of my biggest gripes about Shadowrun is the lack of representative artwork. In fact, this is my ONLY gripe about Shadowrun. In a cyberpunk genre (at least by inspiration) style is almost as important as having the best gear. But how can you style up if you don't know what an Ares Predator II looks like, or what your character will look like in that leather duster by that specific company (I can't remember any names from Cannon Companion)?

There is the one thing I think Cyberpunk 2020 has up on Shadowrun; the style books. This would be an excellent concept for Shadowrun. Now I know that artwork in books is expensive (blah, blah, blah) but I would be more than willing to shell out a few extra bucks for some more artwork. To me, this is just as effective as having a character portrait.

Now I do seem to remember a Second book that my buddy had and I remember that it had pictures of guns, vehicles and other toys. Is my memory correct? Can anyone tell me some other books (old or new editions) that show a good spread of equipment pictures? I'm looking for guns, vehicles, cyberware, and anything else that you could buy in New Seattle. It just helps my players and myself if we can browse by looks as well as stats.

On a similar note, there are a few pictures of guns in the current edition of the Cannon Companion. Can anyone tell me which weapon these pictures represent? There seems to be on picture for each grouping (light pistols, heavy pistols, submachine guns, assault rifles, etc.). Are there any good representations in other, more scene oriented, artwork that stands out? For instance, is that troll on the cover carrying a specific weapon, or is it just a generic gun?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Kiwi
TinkerGnome
Some of the books from earlier editions had a lot of representative artwork. Some of these include: Fields of Fire (weapons, some drones and vehicles), Street Samurai catalog (same), Rigger's Big Black Book (vehicles and drones), and Shadowtech (cyberware and bioware). I'm sure there are more out there, like the German version of Cannon Companion.

Finding them can be difficult, though I've always had good luck with used book stores.
Kiwi
Fields of Fire (weapons, some drones and vehicles), Street Samurai catalog (same), Rigger's Big Black Book (vehicles and drones), and Shadowtech (cyberware and bioware)

Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Just one more question. Do these have pictures representing devices that still exist in the current edition?

Thanks again.

Kiwi
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Kiwi)
Do these have pictures representing devices that still exist in the current edition?

Virtually 100% of the old items were brought forward into the new edition. However, you should be aware that many of the older books tended to do one item per page and have bulky charts at the back (much larger font that newer charts). Thus the older books tend to cover only a percentage of the tech currently available.
Sepherim
You must remember that when Ares Predator appears, it mostly is just an example of a kind of gun. There are other versions of it, from different, companies, and these have different appearances.
Other source for drawings, though, are the cards from the shadowrun trading card game. Though weapons aren't too common (at least, I haven't gotten too many, precissely).
As for the weapon drawings in Cannon Companion, here go my takes:
The cover has a human with a Predator (can't say if it's I, II or III) and a troll with a heavy machine-gun, so I'd say it's a Stoner-Ares 107 since it's the only heavy machine-gun included in the book.
I can't tell either for the self-defense guns, the small caliber guns or the automatic guns. The heavy gun is either Predator II or III, hard to tell. The taser is, obviously, a Yamaha Pulsar. Can't tell for the submachinegun. The hunting rifle is, again obviously, a Rugger 100. The sniper rifle is the Barret 121.
The dwarf in the Weapon Accessories chapter (just beneath the title) is holding a mini-gun, so I'd say it's a Vindicator. The gun in the next is a Beretta, though I don't remember the exact model. The heavy cannon that a woman with "three arms" is holding in the next page is a Panther Assault Cannon.
Well, that's about it for the Cannon Companion. Remember that many guns can be other models not covered in the book, or maybe personalized weapons, so don't think too hard on it. wink.gif

Note: as for page references and all that, I own the spanish version of the Cannon Companion, so I hope you can find the drawings I refer to in your version of the book. cyber.gif
Kiwi
Thus the older books tend to cover only a percentage of the tech currently available.

That's okay. As long as it hits upon the big ones. The most popular items are all I need.

You must remember that when Ares Predator appears, it mostly is just an example of a kind of gun. There are other versions of it, from different, companies, and these have different appearances.

I know, but again, I'm just looking for the basic looks and all.

As for the weapon drawings in Cannon Companion, here go my takes:

That'll do nicely!! Thanks.

Hey, thanks guys!! I appreciate your help. This gives me all the info I need. biggrin.gif
Lilt
If I could add to those weapon to picture suggestions;

In CC:
I think the hold-out is one of the two Fichetti Tiffanis by a process of elimination.
The light pistol is either an Ares Light Fire 70 or a Fichetti Security 500(a).
The machine pistol is presumably the Ares Crusader as it seems to mount some form of gas vent
The heavy pistol looks too small to be a predator (and looks different from the pic on the cover). My money's on a Browning Max-Power.
The SMG is tricky, I'd say a SCK Model 100 or a Sandler TMP without laser sight.
The assault rifle is possibly a Colt M23 but I'm basing that on the lack of accessories.
The shotgun is probably a Mossberg SM-CMDT as it has a clip.
The pic on page 29 of CC is of an Ares MP laser III (looks like the picture in fields of fire too)
The guns being used akimbo-style on page 95 are Colt Cobras (fits with the pic from fields of fire too)

That sound OK?
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Lilt)
The assault rifle is possibly a Colt M23 but I'm basing that on the lack of accessories.

I think the Assault Rifle is most likely the Ares Alpha Combat Gun. The Colt M23 has the clip in front of the trigger assembly (Fields of Fire) so that's probably not it. The foregrip also appears to be the firing lever for an underbarrel grenade launcher, not dissimilar to the way the gun looked in Fields of Fire.
Lilt
I suppose. I was discounting the alpha as there wasn't much space for 8 microgrenades but there's not much space for that in the FOF picture either. In-fact there's more space in the CC picture for that than there is in the FOF picture. OK: Alpha it is.
Ancient History
The difference between the Gear books (Street Samurai Catalog, RIgger's Black Book, Shadowtech, Fields of Fire, Cybertechnology) and Cannon Companion is that each of those supplements were meant to be recent additions while CC and Mand Machine were just bringing everything up to date.

Not that I wouldn't like the occaisonal New Gear book in catalog format. But I understand why they don't do it ('s a LOT of weapons already).
Ulfgeir
Also if you can get hold of the first edition of the main rule book, there you have a lot of nice illustrations that do not appear later on.

And for critters, you have to get the the two sourcebooks for 1st edition.. =^_^=

/Ulfgeir
The Surgeon
I can tell you that the Sniper Rifle pictured is the Walther MA-2100. The Barret 121 (what I use) looks a lot different.

I don't remember where I saw a picture, but the Ruger Thunderbolt, carried by Lone Star officers, looks like Robocop's gun, more or less.

And I'm pretty sure that Assault Rifle shown isn't the Ares Alpha. The Ares Alpha doesn't have a gas-vent, and that thing under the barrel looks more like a laser-sight than a mini-grenade launcher.

TinkerGnome
QUOTE (The Surgeon @ Aug 18 2003, 12:21 PM)
And I'm pretty sure that Assault Rifle shown isn't the Ares Alpha. The Ares Alpha doesn't have a gas-vent, and that thing under the barrel looks more like a laser-sight than a mini-grenade launcher.

If you want to get technical, the AAC's original picture has barrel venting (I assume part of the "chamber-based recoil-reduction") and an MGL that doesn't look like an MGL. Based on the fact that none of the ARs in that section are explicitly or implicitly (ie, unusually high conceal) bullpup configuration, it is hard to tell, but you can eliminate down.

If you rule out the multi-weapons systems (since both have top mounted laser sights), the Colt M-23 and M22A2 (which is a design with the clip on the other side of the grip), and the Ares HVAR (which looks completely different), it can only be the AAC, the H&K G12A3z, or the Semopal vz/88V. It's probably not the G12A3 because the pic doesn't look like it has a telescoping stock or top mounted laser sight. It is also probably not the Semopal since that weapon has a top mounted imaging scope and a folding stock. That leaves us with the AAC. Unless it's a gun from a different book, it's pretty much the only option.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012