Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trolls and Conceal Ratings
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheNarrator
So, I'd like to ask you guys about trolls and Concealability Ratings. And no, I don't mean the TN to spot if a guy's got a troll hidden under his coat. biggrin.gif

I'm GMing a little shadowrun game, and one of my players is playing a troll. He raised an interesting point: trolls are much bigger than other metahumans. Shouldn't they be able to hide larger weapons on their person? I mean, a troll is huge. If I could have a pistol tucked under my arm, couldn't a troll have an SMG tucked under there? If most people could fit a machine pistol under their longcoat, coudl a troll fit a carbine?

It makes sense to me, at least. So I'm wondering, what do you guys think would be an appropriate modifier? +2? +50%? I don't recall ever seeing any rules for it in any of the books, and I don't remember it ever coming up here on Dumpshock.
venenum
Yeah sure, just use the concealability modifiers table for all of the weapons. Troll weapons are large and sized for trolls if he really wants to use a smaller wepon let him but dont forget to tell him that he takes a -2 dice pool modifier when using it.
Chrome Shadow
If the troll don't modify the carabine for his size, he could still use it...

... as a club or baseball bat...
mmu1
QUOTE (venenum)
Yeah sure, just use the concealability modifiers table for all of the weapons. Troll weapons are large and sized for trolls if he really wants to use a smaller wepon let him but dont forget to tell him that he takes a -2 dice pool modifier when using it.

If troll weapons were scaled up, overall, then you'd expect to see a difference in damage codes, but there is none.

That means troll weapons would just have modified grips, triggers, and trigger guards - and possibly, longer stocks, though if those were collapsible, that wouldn't affect things a great deal. That'd mean that a weapon like a light pistol might not benefit much, in terms of concealability, but an SMG or a carbine certainly would.

On second thought, even when it comes to anything with a magazine in the grip, like a pistol, you wouldn't actually need to scale it up as much as one might think, since the grip size of weapons, especially those with double-stack magazines is dictated more by how thick the grip needs to be to accomodate the bulky magazine, than by ideal ergonomics. (compare pistol and revolver grips, for example)

Assuming calibers stayed the same, trolls could actually have the benefit of (compared to humans) lighter, more manageable weapons with better ergonomics.
Butterblume
I tend to avoid questions like that.
I just mention to the player, if he wants that kind of advantage, we should talk about how much easier it is to hit a big troll.
Probably unrealistic, even unfair, but works pretty well biggrin.gif.

Well, it might not work in SR4 any more... (-2 TN is way more powerful than +2 dice).
KarmaInferno
There is the tendancy for most folks in the setting, especially sec guards, to regard trolls as heavily armed whether or not this is actually the case.

Thanks for your answers, guys. Just a couple more things I'd like to note:

-The player in question didn't play a troll to get an advantage by hiding larger weapons on himself. He played a troll because nobody in our gaming group ever had, and because we were kind of short on muscle. (The other two PCs are fragile spellcasters.)

-I'm going to operate under the assumption that troll-modded weapons are only larger in the grip and stock, rather than being scaled up overall, because otherwise the weapons stats would be changed to reflect the longer barrel and either larger ammunition or larger magazine.

-In addition to their larger size, trolls also have dermal armor in the form of bony deposits all over them. Must be hard to spot the bulge of a hidden weapon when the person is already covered in bulges. grinbig.gif

If nobody knows of a rule in any of the books for it, or has a house rule they'd like to suggest, I'm just gonna go with a +2. It's equivalent to the bonus one gets from a concealable holster, and it's enough to make a light pistol seem like a holdout, a heavy pistol seem like a light, a machine pistol seem like a heavy pistol, or an assault rifle seem like a submachine gun.
LilithTaveril
Well, if they're hiding the weapons in sleeves/pants legs, then there should be a penalty to dexterity and possibly movement. Plus, the conceal benefit is negated in those locations by how awkward the troll is moving.
TheNarrator
I think more along the lines of weapons strapped to the torso, but I'll keep that in mind the next time someone tries to get cute about strapping a small arsenal to their leg.
LilithTaveril
Well, they could always go for my idea on page four of the Hiding a gun topic. They just need a lot of vaseline.
Dog
Seems like too much pickiness and excessive ruling to me.
If someone brought it up in my game, I'd just say that the larger hiding area is compensated for by the fact that a troll will get more scrutiny (as previously mentioned,) and by pointing out that the concealability rating is a generalized number that represents lots of things other than size. ("Did that troll just make a 'clink' noise when he sat down?")
Straight Razor
if i were running, and a troll wanted to hide guns on them selfs better. i would say buy a low-profile holster, and i'll give you an extra +1. (on-top of what the holster gives)
trolls already have a LOT against them if you play by the cannon.

but you just can not hide anything that's total length is more that 1/4 th of you total high.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012