Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Psychologist's Grimoire
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Conskill
DETECTION:

Understanding (Active, Directional)
Type: M * Range: T * Duration: I * DV: ((F / 2) + 2)

The strange child of an Awakened psychoanalyst who enjoyed use of the Diagnose spell, Understanding provides a diagnosis of the target's overall psychological health. However, this information is filtered through the bizarre lens of Psychoanalytic Therapy.

The net hits determine the quality of information provided, par usual, however the caster must make Logic + Academics: Psychoanalysis (2) test to interpret the information meaningfully. The caster cannot default simply to Logic during this roll. Failure on this roll grants the target the same raw input, but not the academic understanding to derive meaning from it ("The target is...fixated on poop? Ew.").

HEALTH:

Repair Neurological Structure
Type: P * Range: T * Duration: P * DV: ((F / 2) + 4)
Restore Neurotransmitter
Type: P * Range: T * Duration: S * DV: (F / 2)

As the years have gone on, the biological model of psychopathology has become increasingly more complex and far-reaching in scope. Between gene therapy, bioware augmentation and good ol' fashion nanosurgery, a host of biologically based disorders can now be repaired. Restore / Repair are spells that impacts a specific biological function in the brain. Combined with a psychiatric degree and usually "talk therapy" (read: "the other guys' work"), it can help resolve even the most bizarre co morbid disorders.

The spells requires a successful Logic + Doctor (4, 1 hour) extended test in order to create a beneficial effect. If this roll is not completed successfully, the detrimental effect applies for the duration instead.

Beneficial Effect: Any disorder with a biological root (for lack of realistic and concise guidelines: anything that isn't blatantly caused by social factors, trauma, or illogical constructs) ceases to cause a problem, though related emotional or intellectual problems may still persist: a boy may be cured of autism, but still has limited social skills. A man might lose any trace of schizophrenia, but be quite traumatized from his years spent in an inhumane third-world asylum.

Detrimental Effect: Cast "on the fly," the Restore / Repair spells cause severe dysfunction, possibly even creating the effects it tried to alleviate. For lack of realistic and concise guidelines for going Bugshit Insane: All actions under while under the detrimental effect have an additional threshold equal to +(Net Hits). At 3+ Net Hits, the subject is unable to communicate intelligently. At 6+ Net Hits, the subject has no meaningful connection to the real world anymore.

Restore Neurotransmitter lasts for (Net Hits) days and is physically addictive (Threshold 1 for detrimental effect, threshold 4 for beneficial effect). The target resists with Body + Counterspelling.

MANIPULATION:

Catalytic Thought
Type: M * Range: T * Duration: I * DV: (F / 2)

Harkening back to the early days of the Cognitive-Behaviorialists and Rational Emotive Therapy, the Catalytic Thought spell inserts a single thought into the target's mind. For the duration of the spell, the target is consumed by the thought, treating it with the same reverence as a divine epiphany. If there is no indication otherwise (for example, the Magician telling the target he is about to cast it), the target is likely to believe he either came up with it, or that it's a message from Above.

In therapy, it is used by some Awakened cognitive psychologists to attempts to root out psychological problems based on erroneous thinking ("Hey, my husband beating me near-death isn't a sign that he loves me!"). However, Shadowrunners have found uses for the spell outside of a clinical setting ("Hey, it'd be really neat if I leave my keycard on the table and take a long piss!").

The spell lasts for (Net Hits) minutes, after which the feeling of profound relevance in the thought fades away. The target resists with Intuition + Counterspelling.

Positive Affirmation (also known as "Create Pollyanna")
Type: M * Range: T * Duration: I * DV: ((F / 2) - 1)

Created by a radical group of Metahumanist psychologists, Positive Affirmation creates a sense of profound well-being and self-confidence in the target. For the duration of the spell, the target feels just doggone chipper about himself, his career prospects, and every other facet of his personal life. Even if he loses his job and his ex-wife sets fire to his car, his response is likely to be "Well, gosh darn, I still like me!"

In therapy, it is used as something of an extreme intervention by Awakened Metahumanists that believe that the root of all psychological distress is a lack of unconditional positive regard. The spell is used in tandem with Metahumanist therapy to provide a framework for what life will be like once the target begins to self-actualize. Shadowrunners rarely have use for the spell, but sometimes run afoul of it when it's cast on someone they need to extract or intimidate.

The spell lasts for (Net Hits) hours, during which the target has the following statistic modifications: -2 Logic, +4 threshold on attempts to intimidate the target. At the GM's whim, NPCs under the influence of the spell are more likely to do very stupid shit based on their heightened sense of self-confidence.

Being the target of Positive Affirmation is mentally addictive with a threshold of 2. It can only be cast on a voluntary target.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Conskill)
Created by a radical group of Metahumanist psychologists, Positive Affirmation creates a sense of profound well-being and self-confidence in the target. For the duration of the spell, the target feels just doggone chipper about himself, his career prospects, and every other facet of his personal life. Even if he loses his job and his ex-wife sets fire to his car, his response is likely to be "Well, gosh darn, I still like me!"

This spell when cast at a very high force.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012