Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancer bonuses.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TeraBit
I have a question. What bonuses do the TMs get? I know that they get the +2 to all matrix perception. Are there any other?
Lagomorph
They get the +2 to all matrix actions in hot sim VR like every one else.

Um.. I can't think of any others really. Unless you count not needing gear to hack a bonus.
Lagomorph
Oh, and welcome to Dumpshock TeraBit!
TeraBit
Thanks im new to SR and only know SR4
FanGirl
I think that TMs might get more stuff when Unwired comes out. After all, the Awakened get tons of new stuff in Street Magic, so why would TMs be left out?
Suitcase Murphy
They can Thread forms, and Compile Sprites, which one imagines gives them greater versatility than a traditional Hacker, who is limited by what they have on hand.
RunnerPaul
The sprite power of Hash, is orders of magnitude better than the comparable hackers' method, using the encrypt program.
TeraBit
I have another question. How do the technomancers interract with the AR world? Do they do it by thought or some other way. I would thing if technomancers used their minds to interact with the AR would they get any bonuses because its much faster than with AR gloves.
hobgoblin
please, not again...
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (TeraBit)
I have a question. What bonuses do the TMs get? I know that they get the +2 to all matrix perception. Are there any other?

They can run any number of programs without lowering their response.
They can compile sprites which are comparable to Mage spirits (very useful too I might add)
After a grade of submersion it is possible for them to get 4 IPs in VR.

Did I mention that they can run every program known to man with no problems? And if they don't have one, they can thread it, or if one they have isn't strong enough, they can thread it to a higher level. (make sure the threading is worth it though because you incur a -2 penalty for effectively "sustaining" it.)

And yeah, there should be alot more for them when more source books are released.
Smokeskin
Registered sprites can add their rating to any complex form, or they can sustain threading (for this last task, compile a low-rating sprite, register it, then spend a day re-registering it again and again, to really build up the tasks - a rating 1 sprite is best for pure thread-sustaining-to-hours-registering ratio, but you might want to go a bit higher to get more versatility out of it). This lets technomancers get potentially a lot higher dice pools than hackers (hacking 5 + exploit 5 + vr 2 + threading 3 (sustained by sprite) + assist 3 (from another sprite) = 18 dice is easily possible for a starting TM willing to blow a hours worth sprite registering for a few turns of uber-hacking.

Sprites have some unique powers that are really impressive - a measly rating 5 crack sprite triggering an alert will suppress it for 3 turns, that's 9 IPs to get done hacking before having to deal with any security response and the +4 firewall, and cover your tracks.

Summoning very powerful high-rating sprites is also possible if you want to risk the physical damage.

You can compile sprites with any lingua-soft or autosoft at anytime the need arises.

The real problem with TMs is that all this stuff takes a shitload of BPs. You need high mental stats, you need to buy Resonance, you need to be good in 3 skill groups (electronics, cracking, and tasking), and you need to buy complex forms. Your BPs just dissappear.
booklord
The technomancer route is (currently) the only way a character can achieve 4 Iinit Passes in a single turn in VR.

In theory with several grades of imersion (plus the pumping up of all mental stats) a technomancer will become far more powerful than a mere hacker.

It's just a shame that the karma requirements are such that the karma starved magician looks at the technomancer and pities him.

It should also be noted for sprites that there is no financial burden (just time based ones) to prevent a technomancer from just accumulating a massive number of owed tasks with a registered sprite.
TeraBit
QUOTE (booklord)
The technomancer route is (currently) the only way a character can achieve 4 Iinit Passes in a single turn in VR.

According to this. "A drone controlled in this manner acts on the rigger's Inittiativve--the rigger and the drone are treated as a single unit."SR4 p. 239 Can't you also get 4 IP in the meat if the TM jumps in to a drone. Like a Steel Lynx for example.
Samaels Ghost
I would thing if technomancers used their minds to interact with the AR would they get any bonuses because its much faster than with AR gloves.

This a VERY common mistake. AR can be and usually is manipulated via a DNI. People walk around with trodes on so that they can manipulate AR with their mind alone. It's too bad the examples in the book don't illustrate this. I think less people would make this mistake if it was.

FOr reference, pg. 209, paragraph five of the Augmented Reality section ("The easiest and most common way...") is where this all comes from.

I didn't realize this for a while either indifferent.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012