Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Are These PDF's YOu Speak Of?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanos007
Yes I know what a PDF is. My questions involve printing and burning. If I purchase 1 of the PDF's from Drive Thru can I print it multiple times? Can I burn it to DVD/CD? If I burn it to DVD/CD can I print it?

I guess where I'm going with this is if I buy it I have a friend who can bind it for me. Can I transfer the file to him via e-mail or do I have to print it myself? Ideas? Suggestions? And no I don't want to pirate a bunch of copies. I just want the 1 for my self.
Rotbart van Dainig
Get them from BattleCorps.
They use neither DRM, so you are truely free to do what you want, nor watermarks that would look annoying in print.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
They use neither DRM, so you are truely free to do what you want, nor watermarks that would look annoying in print.

Copywrite infringement is copywrite infringement, with or without a watermark. You're still free to do what you want, but that doesn't make it legal.

Thanos: You can print the book, or have him print one. However, if you transfer the pdf to someone you have to delete yours. At least I think that's how it works. I'm sure several lawyers will pop on and tell you the full story.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Copywrite infringement is copywrite infringement, with or without a watermark.

Erm... ho exactly does "able to use it on any PDF-reader and modify it to your liking" relate to copyright infringment?

Not that I'm not aware of the problem (some people asked me whether I could give them PDFs, which resulted in a polite but definitive "No".), but DRM is a hindrance to the honest customer, not the those who plan to rip it.
James McMurray
Having no idea what DRM stands for, I took the comment "free to do what you want" to be much broader than it was, mostly because of the scope of the question it was answering. Sorry for the confusion.
Derek
Digital Rights Management. A broad term that encompasses copy protection, watermarks, and various other things that attempt to control what you can do with a set of 1's and 0's that you purchased.

The wiki entry, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management does a much better job explaining it.
James McMurray
Cool, I understand now. It's just that the first post said "free to do what you want" and your reply to me seems to indicate that it says "able to use it on any PDF-reader and modify it to your liking." It's the difference between those two statements that threw me for a loop.
Demerzel
BattleCorps offers their PDFs with no restrictions. I interpret their policy as they are willing to treat me like a grown up who does not steal, simply because they cannot do anything to meaningfully stop the theft without diminishing the product for those who pay. So what happens is the thiefs still get what they want, and sadly it would probably be in a better format than what I payed for.

I was glad to pay $25 to BattleCorps for SMag, and I'll probably pay $35 or whatever for a hard copy from my local game store. I do it because I enjoy Shadowrun, I know that my theft will diminish the likelyhood of good future products from coming into existance so I don't steal.

I have the advantage of having seriously excessive printing capacity due to the fact that I worked for an office supply superstore and HP likes to make printer salesmen great deals on printers so I can tell my customers from first hand experience how good their printers are.

I did consider taking it into the store I used to work and gaving their copy department do the work for me. As far as copyright would have gone, I would have felt no obligation to delete my copy from my computer just to burn a disk and bring it to them, since I'm not responsible for preventing a print shop from stealing intellectual property. They are just providing me a service. If you give the PDF to your friend and you reasonably suspect he would keep a copy for himself, then you are on shaky moral ground, but your morals are for you to decide.

Frankly I think BattleCorpse policy of using no copy protection costs them nothing in sales, as those who would steal it will steal it anyhow from other means, history has shown that there is more availiable ways to steal digital media than they are ways to prevent it. Ultimately if they didn't choose to treat me as a responsible adult I would have just waited for the hard copy and only purchased that, but since I have been using insect spirits in my current game, and I wanted to use it I decided that I would make the purchase of the PDF knowing full well that I'd also buy the hard copy, but now I'll probably wait until an updated second or third printing is released so I have some of the errata included.
Derek
QUOTE (Demerzel)

Frankly I think BattleCorpse policy of using no copy protection costs them nothing in sales, as those who would steal it will steal it anyhow from other means, history has shown that there is more availiable ways to steal digital media than they are ways to prevent it.

Well said.

I purchased botht he PDF and the hard copy from BattleCorps because of their lack of restrictive DRM
Moon-Hawk
I tend to get overwhelmed and confused by all the copyright laws and stuff, so I try to live by a somewhat simpler set of moral guidelines when it comes to pdfs and copying media:
If the company that produces the product ends up with less money: don't do it.
If the company ends up with more money, or no change whatsoever: it's probably okay.
I guess my attitude is, don't worry about the laws, just be a grown-up person, do the right thing, and everything will be fine.

(seeing Demerzel's post)
Yeah, what he said. They're trusting you to be a responsible adult and not to screw them. They produce a wonderful product that we love. Let's not let 'em down.
Witness
I don't mind watermarking, but I do object to being unable to burn pdfs to disc as back-up. I think my pdf version of the SR4 rulebook (from drive-thru) blocks me from doing this, IIRC, and that really sucks. If my computer goes down for some reason, they damn well better give me a new pdf for free.
knasser
QUOTE (Witness @ Aug 11 2006, 11:03 AM)
I don't mind watermarking, but I do object to being unable to burn pdfs to disc as back-up. I think my pdf version of the SR4 rulebook (from drive-thru) blocks me from doing this, IIRC, and that really sucks. If my computer goes down for some reason, they damn well better give me a new pdf for free.

I have all of my PDFs from DriveThru except Street Magic because they didn't have it as quickly as Battlecorps.

Consequently, most of my PDFs are watermarked. It is very discreet and I can't imagine anyone getting upset about it when they print the book. I also am happy for people to use that as a protection method as it's much better than DRM proper. I have an individual product that can be recognised. I'm fine with that.

That said, I'm unaware of any other protection existing on the DriveThru PDFs. I think it may exist for some of their products where the manufacturer has insisted on it, but I use Linux so I don't touch those anyway. I've had no problems burning to CD-ROM.

But don't give either of the PDFs to your friend unless you're certain a copy wont be kept. Right now, electronic copies are justntaking off and we have to do everything we can to make sure that they survive in an open format. That means being moral in our behaviour and not betraying the trust of the copyright holder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012