Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possession and Encumberance
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Geekkake
Threadjack from [url=http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=14120&st=75[/url]. Now, I haven't read the whole book yet, but the vibe I got from that thread is that a possessed spirit adds its Force in armor to the vessel, possibly with the Immunity to Natural Weapons power. In this case, the vessel is clothes or armor.

Does that really increased the Encumberance? Mechanically, I think it could go either way. It's an armor bonus, rather than the armor rating itself (I think). However, if you're just looking at the new rating, with bonus, then that would add Enc per the hymnal.

Fluffwise and (*GASP*) logically, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Does a pair of coveralls get stiffer, or heavier, or both, when inhabited by an ethereal consciousness?
Shrike30
My understanding is that spirits actually do have some solid physical form, at least while manifested. I could easily see this contributing extra protection, in exchange for extra encumberance.
knasser
That's not exactly right, although it is close. When possessing an inanimate object (really it should say non-living), it says a spirits force may be added to any appropriate physical attributes at the gamesmaster's discretion. It specifically references Body, Armour and Speed for a vehicle (though explcitly excludes handling), so there is precedent. The object definitely does gain Immunity to Normal Weapons. I certainly don't see it adding to the items weight though.

So the GM is within the rules to say that the clothing or armour doesn't gain armour value and I would be inclined to say so. The question is whether that is fair?

Immunity to normal weapons is just as problematic, though you can come up with with fluff explanations for the immunity that wouldn't increase something's effectiveness as armour - e.g. holes sealing up again after the bullet has passed through.

Personally, though it isn't supported by the rules, I would probably just dissallow the possession in the first place, on grounds of sillyness. "Fear my pyjamas for they are possessed by the voodoo spirit of Papa Legba." Okay, I exaggerate, but possessed armour is just too D&D for me. Where would it end?

"Spirit - possess that door so that my enemies find it harder to break down."
"Spirit - possess my car tyres so that I can drive over those caltrops,"
"Spirit - possess my chair becaus the troll wants to borrow it."

I think a rough (very rough) rule of thumb is that only a discrete object can be possessed - no doors, no walls. Clothing and armour counts as non-discrete because it is worn by someone.

This is entirely house rule though. I'm just trying to avoid stupid and atmosphere-bollocking possessions.

EDIT @Shrike30. It's possession though, not materialisation.
Demerzel
So the troll's chair is fair game?
knasser
QUOTE (Demerzel)
So the troll's chair is fair game?

I'm working on it. Give me time....
Slithery D
As far as fluff explanations of Immunity to Normal Weapons, I've always thought of spirits as a sort of semi-solid ectoplasm. It's hard when it wants to hit you, and otherwise quasi-epheremal or self repairing. Kind of like spiritual jello that it can harden at will to carry/hit/move stuff, but that is hard to effect with physical things. ItNW reflects this by only letting high levels of kinetic energy deliver enough of a shock to the spirit's form that it does some damage to it's physical/mana linkages, underlying patter, or whatever spiritual mumbo-jumbo you like.

In other words, I wouldn't let an object with Immunity provide any protection to someone standing behind it or wearing it. The bullets always pass through, it's just that sometimes they pass through hard enough that they hurt the spirit in the process.

The first person to ask me about armor piercing gets a jihad put on him. I think it shouldn't have any effect on spirits. I also think that strong spirits have too much protection from bullets as it is. Aargh.
Samaels Ghost
I think a spirit might resent being put into your armor/PJs. If not, they're dual natured now, so you can get astrally pants-ed. And your armor could get attacked directly by spirits/magicians who attack the armor's spirit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012