Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metaplanes not available for Adepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
maeel
Once the initiate has completed the preparation ritual
and feels his body is sufficiently protected, he simply needs to
astrally project and choose to enter the metaplanes.

yer, great, and what do (mystic) adept initiates do?
LilithTaveril
Um... They pay troll go gangers to crotchkick them until they think they're on a metaplane?
James McMurray
It was possible in previous versions to physically enter the metaplanes. There was an entire campaign and "return to" campaign about it. Are there rules for that in SM?
hobgoblin
afaik, yes. rifts and astral gateways can help you there...
maeel
yes, but seriously, initiation gives Mages more than it gives adepts, kind of unfair...
Slithery D
I don't really understand the original outrage. They can't astrally project (the limited power in SOTA 2064 aside) so they can't travel to the metaplanes unaided. They never could in any previous edition either.

The Astral Gateway spirit power is and has always been the only way for those without astral projection and initiation to visit the metaplanes. Great form Guidance spirits and some free spirits have it.

(Yes, immortal elves and probably great dragons can help you physically enter the metaplanes, if that's what happened in the Harlequin adventures. You'll just have to wait for the IE sourcebook, since they inexplicably left it out of Dragons of the Sixth Word.)
Conskill
QUOTE (maeel)
yes, but seriously, initiation gives Mages more than it gives adepts, kind of unfair...

Every time your character uses his whacky kung-fu Adept powers, have him remind himself life isn't fair and Magicians get more out of Initiation.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (maeel)
Once the initiate has completed the preparation ritual
and feels his body is sufficiently protected, he simply needs to
astrally project and choose to enter the metaplanes.

yer, great, and what do (mystic) adept initiates do?

Same thing they've done in the past 3 editions. Don't go.

At least this time around you have the Friends in High Places rule that lets you play the Scarecrow or the Cowardly Lion while Dorthy the Mage is on her metaplanar quest.
FanGirl
Deepweed forces any magically active user to astrally perceive, even if the user is an adept without astral perception ability.
- The Bible, p. 249 (emphasis mine)

wink.gif
Demonseed Elite
You are reading it correctly. This is part of the trade-off of being a jack-of-all-magical-trades. On the other hand, as a mystical adept, you get access to metamagic techniques that can not be taken by full mages.

Fangirl: The adept would need to astrally project, not just perceive. It is still possible, but it is much easier for a full magician.
Brahm
@FanGirl

Yes, but you need projection to reach metaplanes. So bargining with a free spirit with Astral Gateway, or having a friend that can land enough hits on Invoking a Guardian it is the way to do it.

EDIT Incidentally this means that some traditions of Mystic Adepts can get themselves to the metaplanes by doing the Invoking themselves. Just obviously not till they gain Invoking, so never on the first Grade.
FanGirl
embarrassed.gif
Sir Randel
If you have SOTA 2064, you can always convert the "Limited Astral Projection" Metamagic Technique.
Cang
I can't remember where i read it, or if i read it, or if am i crazy, but i thought it was written somewhere that an adept can meditate and "travel" to the metaplanes in a way. Kinda like a vision quest without astral perception. Like adept magic, its more of an inward journey then an outward. (but i could just made that up to make sense of things) smile.gif
mfb
never heard of that, Cang, in any edition.

other options for reaching the metaplanes include bribing a free spirit to use its Astral Gateway power on you, if it has that power. my SR3 adept did that once.
Moon-Hawk
I'd imagine a free spirit could make some good money doing that. Pay in advance, of course. smile.gif
Would doing that put the spirit in any danger?
mfb
nope.
Cang
well i did warn you i might of just made that up. twirl.gif
Casper
QUOTE (mfb)
never heard of that, Cang, in any edition.

other options for reaching the metaplanes include bribing a free spirit to use its Astral Gateway power on you, if it has that power. my SR3 adept did that once.

It was called a vision quest and it was only available to shamanic physicals adepts. I think it was in either awakenings or magic in the shadows, probably awakenings.
hobgoblin
yep, its in awakenings.
i would say its mostly a merge of ascetism (sp?) and meditation...
ShadowDragon8685
I'd say go with hiring the troll go-gangers option.

I mean, how often do trolls get paid to beat someone into unconciousness? By the person being beaten, I mean? You oughta put some adventure into someone else's life - get some Karma while you're at it. (Use the Karma 4 nuyen.gif rules.)
Shrike30
Depending on the neighborhood (and the, uh, proclivities of the client) troll gangers may get paid to beat people unconcious more often than you think.
ShadowDragon8685
Which is why I added the caveat "by the person being beaten".

I mean, getting paid to beat the shit out of people when you're a huge, strong troll go-ganger is a pretty regular occurance. You could probably make a living doing it.

But being paid by someone to kick the payer in the nuts? That's gotta be a new and unusual one. ^_^
LilithTaveril
Well, as a side-effect, this does give the GM a perfectly reasonable way to justify allowing an adept to go to metaplanes. After all, the adept's just hallucinating while unconcious rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012