Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fetish house-rule
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dread Polack
Normally, if you have a spell restricted with a fetish, you can't cast the spell at all without your fetish. Instead of that, I'd like to simply make casting the spell much worse than if you didn't have the fetish, but still make it possible. Here are some ideas:
  • A penalty to drain resistance tests (-4?)
  • Increased drain code (double?)
  • A penalty to Spellcasting tests (-4?)
  • A limited application of the "cursed" negative quality from Street Magic (basically, it works like gremlins)?

Do you think it's better off the way it is, or do you think it's okay with one of the above ideas?

Dread Polack
Ranneko
So the -4 on spellcasting tests is treating it like you are an aspected magician trying to go outside his aspect.

Seems fair to me, eases the limitation, so more people are likely to use fetished spells.
venenum
I agree with the above post. I still wont use them. I have better things to do with my money and fake lisences
apollo124
I've played more than a few spelltossers, never had one who handicapped his ability by having to have an eagle feather (or whatever) in hand to cast a powerball. Your house rule doesn't sound bad though.
Dread Polack
I think it can be a good way to cast high-drain and/or lesser-used spells. I think you also got a karma discount in 3rd edition, so it's less of an incentive in 4th edition. It could also be a way to simulate casting a spell outside of your tradition/style of magic, or an intermediate step in learning (tho this would involve being able to remove the restriction later).

Dread Polack
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (apollo124)
I've played more than a few spelltossers, never had one who handicapped his ability by having to have an eagle feather (or whatever) in hand to cast a powerball. Your house rule doesn't sound bad though.

All you have to do is have the fetish on your person, you don't have to hold it aloft and chant like it's some form of geasa. Although I feel fetishes were much more useful in SR3.
deek
Just reading up on this...

So, what is the difference between a fetish and a foci? In the RAW, it mentions fetishes on page 173 and references foci on page 190 for examples...

Maybe I just haven't found a more detailed explanation of the differences...

EDITED:
Nevermind...on the equipment lists it showed them as separate entities, so I can figure it out!
2bit
I like the cursed quality option, myself.
I also like how fetishes were done in SR3 better as well. For that matter, taking all the gestures, incantations, and material components out of magic has always secretly irked me. I wish those things were the standard, and removing the need to use them made things more difficult.
Cabral
I might go with -2 or -3 to spellcasting and drain tests without the fetish. Basicly representing the mage forcing the spell through.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012