Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a Thor Shot?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Dafmeister
I know it involves dropping something on someone from a great height, but can anyone be more specific?
Austere Emancipator
It involves launching a long tungsten rod from a satellite. I'm sure someone can be even more specific.

Thor shot at the Sixth World Wiki. "Space junk welded together" doesn't seem like an optimal projectile, though.
Tanka
"They wasted a THOR shot on a guy?"

"No, they wasted one guy with a THOR shot."

Ah, System Failure. I love that book.
hobgoblin
i would guess that melted together would be a more usefull projectile then welded together.
hyzmarca
Space junk is more efficient. The problem with launching giant tungston rods into orbit is that you have to launch them into orbit. You can only get enough energy out of them as you expend in the form of fuel. It takes quite a bit of fuel to launch something heavy enough to cause substantial damage. This fuel can be used for better things. Using materials that are already up there but useless alows one to retrive the original fuel investment and convert it into destructive power.
Austere Emancipator
And the problem is that the projectile will most likely disintegrate well before it reaches the surface, leading to very limited damage to any form of hardened structure -- the most likely target of such an attack.

Unless they only use the toughest and heat-resistant "junk" they come across out there, and manage to press it together tough enough to survive entry at insane velocities.
Moon-Hawk
Right, right. The point is, welded together creates (at least in my mind) the image of a whole bunch of sattelites, wrenches, shopping carts, and random crap stuck together in a misshapen pile. Melted together makes me think of using already present metal to make a streamlined rod.
Austere Emancipator
I thought I'd seen Cray74 discussing Thors before...

QUOTE (Cray74 @ forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=1067)
Yeah, they do...but actual rock (or the just silly "balls of garbage" described in T:WL) is a poor choice for orbital bombardment. Plain silicate rocks smaller than a hundred meters or so in diameter just don't survive re-entry, not intact. They fracture and break-up.

Metals are a good choice. Iron's a good, cheap, common material for lunar mass drivers to sling at Earth. A large slug (10+ tons) of solid aluminum would work, if you're willing to accept some mass loss.

If you're talking proper, purpose-built orbital bombardment weapons (a real Thor), you just need to get fancy with ceramic or ablative heat shields, careful aerodynamics, etc.
FlakJacket
Here's the Wikipedia entry for Kinetic Bombardment which is pretty much the same thing. The short version are that they're large solid metal poles with re-entry engines and a guidance system that allows them to be dropped out of orbit and on to some poor unsuspecting bastard below.
Butterblume
Cray74 seems to be off a little in the dimensions, but maybe the quote is out of context wink.gif.

For nearly everything except hardened underground structures, space junk will suffice, as long as it doesn't break up on the way down.
hobgoblin
as long as it doesn't break up on the way down.

and that is the main issue...

still, biggest reason for in-air desintegration would be friction, with heat as a byproduct.

allso, these things would take the fastet path to ground. unlike the shuttle that have to take the safest way down.

so with reasonable aerodynamic shape, some basic heat shielding, and a whole lot of mass, it should be able to get down quite nicely.

and no, i have not read the link flackjacket posted. ill do it now.
Austere Emancipator
Right. If you just smack crap together into a ball, you'll need a hell of a lot of it for it not to disintegrate up on entry.
Smiley
Tungsten rods, falling bovines...
mfb
actually smelting the junk down and forging it into rods sounds at least as energy ineffecient as launching tungsten rods into orbit. though... hm, maybe if you had a permanent solar-powered station in place. there's still the energy expenditure involved in going out and bringing the space junk to the smelting/forging station, and then steering the resulting projectiles into place.
hobgoblin
ion engines? not the most powerfull of engines but are more or less solar powered. and with drone tech, you could probably fully automate the prosess. just select the kind of junk and send out a couple of small tug drones to get it within reach of the "solar" smelters arms.
stevebugge
In Target Wastelands it was suggested that several Megas had orbital factories (which is a whole order of magnitude more energy costly I imagine) in operation. Unfortunately it never says just what they produce, and why that product requires zero gravity for production and is worth producing in such an expensive facility.
Smiley
Good plot hooks.

Woo, that gives me a FABULOUS idea...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (stevebugge)
In Target Wastelands it was suggested that several Megas had orbital factories (which is a whole order of magnitude more energy costly I imagine) in operation. Unfortunately it never says just what they produce, and why that product requires zero gravity for production and is worth producing in such an expensive facility.

Anything that they'd need in space, I'd imagine. It is far more energy efficient to build a factory in space, recycle junk, and mine asteroids for new raw materials than it is to manufacture on Earth and launch into space. There are enough space stations to justify such an expense.

The amount of fuel it takes to manuever around the near solar system is far less than what is required to launch an equivilant mass into space, unless you go insane with the barrel rolls and loop-de-loops.
Cray74
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Space junk is more efficient. The problem with launching giant tungston rods into orbit is that you have to launch them into orbit.  You can only get enough energy out of them as you expend in the form of fuel. It takes quite a bit of fuel to launch something heavy enough to cause substantial damage. This fuel can be used for better things. Using materials that are already up there but useless alows one to retrive the original fuel investment and convert it into destructive power.

I know "Space junk" is the canon SR Thor shot, but I'm hoping it turns out to be misinformation. Space junk is lousy Thor shot material for several reasons.

1) Low density = high deceleration due to drag = low impact velocity.

2) It's likely to break up. The effect will be like peppering an area with debris from a blown up aircraft. Irritating, but not something that will bug a capital ship.

3) Aluminum, titanium, composites and other common aerospace materials are miserable penetrator materials. Tungsten and uranium have laudable properties at hypervelocity impact speeds.

Examples of real life space debris bombardment show that debris can even hit relatively intact, considering what it's been through. The fuel tank in this link hit SLOW.
http://www.space.com/news/raining_boosters_000510.html

As for the efficiency of rods boosted to orbit, they are not limited to the fuel used to put them there. They can use external acceleration (e.g., mass drivers) for further acceleration, or even rocket motors. Further, in SR, you have the option of material mined on the moon. It's vastly cheaper in terms of fuel to get lunar material into Earth orbit. Mine a dense lunar material (tungsten, mebbe), turn it into a Thor shot, launch a couple dozen to Earth orbit, aerobrake into position, and then wait for your call to action.

QUOTE (butterblume)
Cray74 seems to be off a little in the dimensions, but maybe the quote is out of context .

How was I off in the dimensions? Few meteors less than a few hundred feet across hit the ground intact - they fragment easily.

I didn't give the dimensions of the Thor shot in my quoted post, just its mass.

For nearly everything except hardened underground structures, space junk will suffice, as long as it doesn't break up on the way down.

See above. Space junk might be less threatening than a blackpowder cannonball by the time it reaches the ground.
Ed_209a
The first RPG reference to a "Thor Shot" I am aware of is from FASA's Renegade Legion Centurion. It was a orbital support weapon that could destroy nearly any grav tank in one hit.

I am not surprised there was a real research program for dropping heavy things on people from space, but I didn't know the real program was named Thor also.

hyzmarca
QUOTE (Cray74)
As for the efficiency of rods boosted to orbit, they are not limited to the fuel used to put them there. They can use external acceleration (e.g., mass drivers) for further acceleration, or even rocket motors. Further, in SR, you have the option of material mined on the moon. It's vastly cheaper in terms of fuel to get lunar material into Earth orbit. Mine a dense lunar material (tungsten, mebbe), turn it into a Thor shot, launch a couple dozen to Earth orbit, aerobrake into position, and then wait for your call to action.

Well, my point was that you're limited by the conservation of energy. If you use a rocket motor to accelerate it you have to burn rocket fuel. Not only that, but you have to burn rocket fuel to launch the rocket fuel into orbit. Likewise, if you use a mass driver you must have some way to power that mass driver. It isn't something for nothing. Usually, a 500lb bomb is faster and more efficient.

The advantage of mining from the moon is that the materials already have the energy. They have had it for equite some time due to their position realitive to Earth's gravity well. This is the same advantage that recycling (very dense) junk has and the same advantage that mining asteroids has.
Anythingforenoughnuyen
Because of the scale of the Space Operations in Shadowrun, the normal factors that would limit this type of operation are somewhat relaxed.

The most likely approach (imo here) for a corp like Ares or SK with large lunar resources would be to exploit those. Thus a projectile of very hard lunar concrete (manufactured in solar powered molds-the leading contender material wise as far as lunar construction is concerned) surrounded by a casing of Titanium (also found in abundance on the moon) would be the way to go. A guidance and maneuver package could then be boosted into orbit and mated with the mass package (similar to, but more advanced than, the JDAM guidance packages that turn Iron (dumb) bombs into satellite guided Smart Bombs). The advantage here also being that the guidance/maneuver package could accommodate a wide verity of sized weapons.

Kyoto Kid
...ahhh then there's the Brimstone focused solar cannon. No physical projectiles needed.
Cray74
QUOTE (Anythingforenoughnuyen)
The most likely approach (imo here) for a corp like Ares or SK with large lunar resources would be to exploit those.  Thus a projectile of very hard lunar concrete (manufactured in solar powered molds-the leading contender material wise as far as lunar construction is concerned)

Substitute "ceramic" for "concrete" and I could agree with you, though I'd still prefer a dense metal. It'll have lower drag per unit mass.

surrounded by a casing of Titanium (also found in abundance on the moon) would be the way to go.

Titanium's a poor choice, though better than aluminum. Titanium only has moderate strength, moderate hardness, and moderate temperature resistance. If you want easy temperature resistance, try a nickel alloy. Or, again, tungsten. Steel would also be superior to titanium, and the moon has plenty of iron in its surface material.

QUOTE (Hyzmarca)
Well, my point was that you're limited by the conservation of energy. If you use a rocket motor to accelerate it you have to burn rocket fuel. Not only that, but you have to burn rocket fuel to launch the rocket fuel into orbit.

I'm well aware of that, but the argument only goes so far. You need a good projectile at the moment it's used, not at the moment it's launched. Since Thor shots are rarely used in SR, their users have time to make as many launches as their budget can afford to assemble Thor Shots that satisfy their requirements.

Some people may be happy with scrap aluminum melted into a 1-ton dart and dropped passively from orbit. Some people may prefer a 10-ton tungsten dart with a 100-ton massdriver launcher to deliver it to the ground at super-orbital velocities, because they could get the same effect of the 1-ton aluminum dart with a 500lb bomb from a disposable UAV.

If your military needs call for a large, elevated velocity Thor Shot, the issue with fuel requirements and energy conservation is just a factor in setting the price tag, not a stumbling block to technical feasibility.

Likewise, if you use a mass driver you must have some way to power that mass driver.

Ditto for many modern weapon systems, like tanks, fighters, and warships.

Yes, some weapons need power supplies. Sometimes the whole set-up gets so unweildy that you'd have an impractical weapon. Sometimes a big orbital gun is just what the doctor called for.
Butterblume
In a world with regular suborbital and orbital flights the price to bring a few (earth-made) thor shots into earth orbit doesn't really matter.
James McMurray
In a world where Plot drives Action, nothing really matters. wink.gif
RunnerPaul
You know, I just can't read a sentence that begins with the phase "In a world..." without hearing Don LaFontaine's voice. I watch too many movie trailers.
stevebugge
QUOTE (James McMurray)
In a world where Plot drives Action, nothing really matters. wink.gif
Frag-o Delux
I maybe misremembering but didnt the megas build or were trying to build a giant railgun to launch material into space on the summit of Mount Kilimajero?

The HARP cannon could get things into space at a fraction of the cost of shuttles. So why couldnt you launch materials into space on the tip of a bullet? Have your space debris collecting drones waiting to collect your pay load, then take it to the orbiting factories and make what you want?

Isnt there a canon referrence to Japan having really huge solar power collectors in space already?

I seem to remember reading an article saying the moon has large amounts of Oxygen trapped in the stone that makes the bulk of the moon. They were saying they could harvest hydrogen in space (I forget where they said it came from) grind up the stone on the moon, capture the Oxygen. Use solar power to make water then mix the water and moon stone to make moon concrete to build large lunar structures.

I suppose with that stuff in space you could do a lot of thing most people wouldnt know could be done.

The Oxygen and Hydrogen in space could also then be used to make rocket fuel. That could power Thor shots, more likely would be used to fly out to the asteroid belt and mine the asteroids for metals like Iron. I mean if the NEAR-shoemaker satellite can do it why not 70 years later with purpose built vehicles.

What I would do is build a orbital railgun aimed at the asteroid belt and have another out there aimed back at the moon. Shooting "cargo" ships to the belt where an orbital mining station would be mining and storing materials, possibly smelting the resources, using raw electricity. Then loading the material back into the railgun and shoot it back at the moon. All using solar power. The speed at which the guns fire cargo ships back and forth doesnt have to be railgun speeds used to penetrate main battle tanks. Just enough to get the materials back and forth in a timely manner, the benfits to using the rail gun would by no major fuel or engines needed to propel the vehicles. Just some retro rockets and inertial guidance rockets to keep it on course and not running into the moon or earth ladened with tons of raw iron ore. Estimations using low thrust orbiting vehicles it could take about 200 days to reach the asteroid belt, but with a raigun fired shuttle it shouldnt take that long. But even at 200 days, a space miners could make a fare bit of cash doing it. You wouldnt need many any way with riggers controling fleets of orbital mining drones.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)

The Oxygen and Hydrogen in space could also then be used to make rocket fuel. That could power Thor shots, more likely would be used to fly out to the asteroid belt and mine the asteroids for metals like Iron. I mean if the NEAR-shoemaker satellite can do it why not 70 years later with purpose built vehicles.

um, you don't need to power thor shots. you just give it little push and gravity does the rest.

you just gotta do the math to make sure it lands where you want it.
Grinder
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
I maybe misremembering but didnt the megas build or were trying to build a giant railgun to launch material into space on the summit of Mount Kilimajero?

They did, but faced serious problems with spirits and other mojo stuff iirc.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Aug 15 2006, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 15 2006, 10:40 PM)

um, you don't need to power thor shots. you just give it little push and gravity does the rest.

you just gotta do the math to make sure it lands where you want it.

No technically you dont have to power the thor shot down, but I would to make sure it lands where I want, not hit some wind shear and fly a few meters off target. And I dont know about how many satellites are in space, Ive heard thousands and by time the SR gets to be present I could imagine many more. So the realestate to place Thor shot satellites where you want to hit could be tricky. Youll also need to make sure the satellites stay in a healthy orbit and not prematurally degrade and tumble back to earth unexpectedly. And letting gravity do the rest is the wrong thing to do. The Thor shot will bounce and skip on the atmosphere and if it does bite in and go into the atmosphere its going to take the long way down. I would push mine into the atmosphere and push it straight into my target.

So if the corps have the rail gun to get stuff into space on the cheap a lot of things would be easier to get done up there.

EDIT: Powering a Thor shot would also let you come straight down and avoid slamming your Thor shot into the wrong building or hitting a mountain peak or some other thing that will make your shot less likely to happen if you just let mother nature do the job for you.
Cray74
Yep, a guided Thor shot is definitely called for.

However, gravity and aerodynamics can do the job pretty well. Some fins and air brakes on the Thor Shot can plant it on target - works for MIRVs.

Of course, a booster would be nice to keep impact velocity up.
El_Machinae
A two-stage booster might be best. One to separate the shot from the satellite, so it begins its fall.

A second booster near the end stage, too, to push the rocket past terminal velocity. There's no point wasting fuel when you're fighting against terminal velocity unless you can keep the energy when you hit.

Though middle stage boosters could be used to confound trackers, so that the defenders could not predict (easily) where the missle will hit.
Oracle
I think the falling period is much to short for any countermeasures to be taken. That's why anti-ICBM-missiles can't work.
Cray74
QUOTE (Oracle)
I think the falling period is much to short for any countermeasures to be taken. That's why anti-ICBM-missiles can't work.

Experimental Anti-ICBM missiles are doing alright today, considering the challenges they face.

However, the challenge of dealing with orbital bombardment systems is larger because you have less time to deal with them than ICBMs, maybe 2-5 minutes instead of 15 to 45 minutes.
Austere Emancipator
With ICBMs the time is more crucial since it's usually not enough to intercept the missile/warhead(s) once they're already coming down. With kinetic orbital bombardment, I guess it might be enough to disrupt the projectile as little as some kilometers before it hits to make sure most of the mass misses the primary target. What it would take to disrupt a tungsten telephone pole at several km/s, though, I have no idea.
Cray74
Speed works against Thor shots. Throw some tungsten BBs in its path and they'll swiss cheese it. Depending on when you nail it, the shot may land kilometers off course or break up.

With ICBMs the time is more crucial since it's usually not enough to intercept the missile/warhead(s) once they're already coming down.

It's non-optimal to start shooting when the warhead is on its downward arc, since you have less engagement time, but if you destroy the warhead at any point prior to detonation, it's all good (except for the small bits of land that have radioactive metal showered on them).

Thor Shots will only have that downward phase to be engaged in. They don't have a launch and coast phase like ICBMs.
Oracle
Actually you don't have 15 to 45 minutes to deal with a modern ICBM, because you don't know the reentry path of the MIRVs until a very short time before they reenter atmosphere. Besides Anti-ICBM missiles aren't doing well. But this thread is not about ICBMs... wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Cray74)
It's non-optimal to start shooting when the warhead is on its downward arc, since you have less engagement time, but if you destroy the warhead at any point prior to detonation, it's all good (except for the small bits of land that have radioactive metal showered on them).

I was thinking about MIRVs, and getting the missile before the re-entry vehicles separate. I've never really read up on proposed ABM systems, so I don't know whether that's something they're planning to do. If they only intend to intercept the warheads on their way down, then I was wrong.

QUOTE (Cray74)
Throw some tungsten BBs in its path and they'll swiss cheese it. Depending on when you nail it, the shot may land kilometers off course or break up.

In that case the same sort of active defenses that would be employed against kinetic kill missiles and the like would function here quite well. Longer range Metal Storm -like systems, for example. I guess hitting the thing with a missile would be more difficult.
Cray74
QUOTE (Oracle)
Actually you don't have 15 to 45 minutes to deal with a modern ICBM, because you don't know the reentry path of the MIRVs until a very short time before they reenter atmosphere.

That depends on where your anti-ICBM (and, more on-topic, anti-satellite/Thor) weapons and sensors are located. Boost-phase sensors like the US's early warning satellites can spot the ICBM at launch. Combined with space-based weaponry, you don't have to worry about the MIRV's path - you can get the whole missile even before it clears the atmosphere.

So the 15-45 minute flight time of ICBMs is, potentially, available to a 2070-era defense network. Thor Shots don't grant that much time, unless you know which satellite is a Thor platform in advance.

Besides Anti-ICBM missiles aren't doing well.

No, but they're also not total failures, not to the degree that you can definitively say, "Anti-ICBM missiles will never work in 2070."

But this thread is not about ICBMs... wink.gif

The ICBM engagement problem is related to Thor Shots - both involving dropping projectiles through the atmosphere to release a lot of pain on the ground. smile.gif
Oracle
Okay. We just talked about different things. I based my comments on the parts of the missile defense that are in service now. You talked about 2070. smile.gif
LilithTaveril
The reason modern missiles don't work well against ICBM's won't be solved by 2064. Even with riggers, satellite weaponry, magic, dragons, etc. the best way to shoot down an ICBM is still going to be sending up fighters. Why? Because the same improvements in propulsion and computers are also going to be built into ICBM's. Even if they're not, you still have the issue of the only way that can potentially work when multiple missiles are involved is trying to target what amounts to an ant travelling as fast as a bullet using a pea shooter. An orbital weapons platform that doesn't have to care if it devastates whatever's beneath the missile would do the job, but anything short of that is pretty much an instant failure. You can shoot down one missile, may get lucky and shoot down two, but you sure as hell won't shoot down three.

With that said, I'll wait until the next tech book is out before I judge, but so far it's looking as though you're just as likely in 2070 as in 2064.

Now, before any of you try to shoot this down, keep in mind that missiles in 2064 SR still work the same as missiles in 2006 RL.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Even with riggers, satellite weaponry, magic, dragons, etc. the best way to shoot down an ICBM is still going to be sending up fighters.

I'm not following. How do fighter aircraft help in shooting down ballistic missiles? I've not heard of an air-to-air weapon capable of intercepting high-velocity targets.

I have to say, reading up on the THAAD system, it seems quite likely that in 60 years they could reliably hit a Thor shot with missiles at very high altitudes, up to more than 100km away, unless they can somehow allow the projectile to defend itself against such threats.
hobgoblin
if your to take out icbms, you have to do so before they start going downwards. at that point its going to do you no good as its allready over its target and falling.

for thor shots the added problem is that they have no upwards travel. by the time they are launched they are allready above the target.
Cray74
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
The reason modern missiles don't work well against ICBM's won't be solved by 2064.

That problem is, "The MIRVs move quickly, presenting a difficult targeting solution, and the ground-based anti-missile systems have a short time to engage."

Those issues ARE solvable by 2064, or 2070, for the following reasons:

1) 60 more years of development time, and the developers do need time and experience
2) 60 more years of technological improvement in computers and targeting software to handle the tricky interception
3) 60 more years of improvement in anti-missile missile hardware
4) SR has a demonstrated capability to put large quantities of mass into space, opening the way for boost- and coast-phase weapons
5) SR has a number of man-portable and vehicular energy weapons ideally suited for rapid engagement of targets from space. The wonderful, magnificent ability of light-speed beams to point-n-shoot without the headaches of projectile-based engagement should give them an enormous edge in accuracy.

Between points 4 and 5, SR should have no trouble frying missiles rapidly from space-based platforms. The particle beam weapons (PAWS, was it?) are especially ideal because it's impossible to stop high-energy (say, 200 to 1000MeV) protons with a MIRV-mass warhead, and those protons would fry or even fizzle the warhead.

Even with riggers, satellite weaponry, magic, dragons, etc. the best way to shoot down an ICBM is still going to be sending up fighters.

Fighters have never been the best way to intercept ICBMs.

An orbital weapons platform that doesn't have to care if it devastates whatever's beneath the missile would do the job,

I'm sure the orbital weapons platform wouldn't care about devastation, but only platforms built by Hollywood or Anime writers are going to devastate stuff beneath the missile. 200 miles of atmosphere is a damned good shield against wayward particle beams and lasers, and the beams involved are not going to be nuclear-strength city-busters.

You can shoot down one missile, may get lucky and shoot down two, but you sure as hell won't shoot down three.

That's an absolutely baseless statement. It doesn't work with SR rules, nor reality.

A single platform with a 2-minute engagement window has 20 combat turns to fry the equivalent of small drones. That's plenty of time to engage as many as a score of targets.
Conskill
QUOTE (Cray74)
So the 15-45 minute flight time of ICBMs is, potentially, available to a 2070-era defense network. Thor Shots don't grant that much time, unless you know which satellite is a Thor platform in advance.

The one with the giant downward pointing mass driver and "I KEEL U!" painted on the side?

Jokes aside, I didn't think this'd be a real issue. Even with SR level activity in orbit, would it be possible to hide that kind of activity (or even just the launch mechanism)?
ShadowDragon8685
The best way to defeat a thor shot is to hit the sattelite carrying it with a major anti-sattelite payload before it even gets launched. Failing that, using a rigger to take control and launch all six (or however many the sattelite in question) shots directly into an ocean, or preferably the headquarters of it's owners. Or, you know, right on top of Lofwry. Whichever.

Or you can use a spirit of some sort which can mess with the shot. Like a spirit using it's Movement power to move the Thor shot over the ocean, or something. I dunno, magic's not my strong suit, but spirit mojo tends to trump technology.
Cray74
QUOTE (Conskill)
The one with the giant downward pointing mass driver and "I KEEL U!" painted on the side?

Jokes aside, I didn't think this'd be a real issue. Even with SR level activity in orbit, would it be possible to hide that kind of activity (or even just the launch mechanism)?

That depends entirely on what the launch platform and weapon looks like. A simple cover story could turn a long-barreled massdriver into a "x-ray telescope that suffered an unfortunate loss of solid hydrogen coolant and is now virtually useless."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chandra..._Obs_Illust.jpg

And if the Thor shots don't use a massdriver but lightweight retropacks, you can stash a bundle of them in virtually any fat-bodied satellite that has some real secondary function. "It's a weather satellite...no, really, track the emissions. It's been reporting on North Atlantic weather for 3 years."

Add in another 70 years of space-based activity and you can also use the tired excuse of "it's just space junk," or "it's a spent upper stage." Ares started using the US shuttle, and doing so profitably - maybe Ares also had the commonsense to haul some spent external tanks that last 1% of the way to orbit as a basis for a space station. Those are perfect covers for a large military orbital platform.
http://www.space-frontier.org/Projects/ET/...tion_images.htm

"Oh, that damned tank. It's been in orbit 60 years now. Every now and then someone tries to do something with it, but it's just scrap now."
ShadowDragon8685
It seems that in the age of Shadowrun 4, with sattelites galore, information is the new ammunition. ^_^

And if anyone can tell me where I got that, you win a cookie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012