Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Physical Mask
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JesterX
If a player cast physical mask to look like an elf, can this be detected by astral perception?

Will an astral perception tell that a mask spell is active?

Will an astral perception show the true metatype?
stevebugge
My understanding is that a successful perception test would allow you to correctly recognize the Aura assensed, including active spell and foci. More net successes allow greater detail to be obtained.

So a single net success may gain little more than Metahuma with sustained spell, but 4 might get you Joe the Ork Shaman sustaining a physical mask spell to make him appear as a lamp post.
Wounded Ronin
I always had it so that astral perception would automatically blast apart any kind of disguise magic because it would be very obvious to the astral viewer that a spell was dancing around the subject.

I would always refer to using astral perception on a disguised or invisible character as "looking up your astral skirts".
JonathanC
I have a player who gets around this problem by maintaining a Mana Barrier while he's using Physical mask. Since mana barriers appear opaque on the astral plane, it (in theory) prevents proper viewing of your aura. Of course, then you just have to explain why you're walking around with magical shielding on you.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (JonathanC)
I have a player who gets around this problem by maintaining a Mana Barrier while he's using Physical mask. Since mana barriers appear opaque on the astral plane, it (in theory) prevents proper viewing of your aura. Of course, then you just have to explain why you're walking around with magical shielding on you.

Is there any need to explain that, really? So long as it is of legal force (and thus easily dispelled or destroyed) no one should ask questions. If they do, just say that it is protection against muggings.

I mean, if a guy walks up to you and says "I'm a magician. Give me your money or else." are you willing to call him on it?
JonathanC
Personally, I've never made an issue of it. He's casting it at like force 3, which is within legal limits, I believe. I was just pointing out something that could be suspicious if you're a more exacting GM, or if they're going to be among people who are highly suspicious of magicians.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012