Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix combat is boring!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gort
So my runner hacks into a commlink, sets off an alarm, and gets set upon by a rating 4 IC running armour 4 and black hammer 4. The runner attacks, the IC defends, the runner attacks, the IC defends, the runner attacks the IC defends...

This goes on for 6 full IPs, with the runner landing a hit on the IC and wounding it after using 3 points of edge.

The runner then jacks out and decides to go about progressing the run in the physical world.

Matrix combat is really dull, it's just attack/defend over and over! There's no maneuvering or special moves or anything. Nothing to make it interesting or make people use tactics.

How does everyone else spice up their matrix combat? (I'm not looking to make it harder, this IC was plenty tough enough for my player, I just want to make it more interesting)
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Gort @ Aug 16 2006, 03:04 PM)
How does everyone else spice up their matrix combat?

Aside from a fleshed-out iconography, IC and Persona imagry we describe "the action" but not much else. It's kind of GM time to tell us a matrix story.
hobgoblin
i have a feel that unwired will give us something to work with.
but while we wait, how about this:

take aim:
spend a simple action and roll logic+hacking. add the hits as extra dice on your next attack action.

hide:
simple action, hacking+stealth. the persona stays hidden and untargetable for hits number of turns. the IC can use pilot+analyze to remove hits at a 1 to 1 ratio.

evasive actions:
complex action, hacking+stealth, add hits number of dice to any defensive tests done until the hackers next initative pass.
Glayvin34
Well, for one we use elaborate iconography to represent combating characters. Regular combat would also be boring if you called the enemies Street Sams 1 through 5 and the Players 1 through 3.

My GM usually describes IC as security personel with blank faces and guns or batons. My personal IC look like Spartan warriors with spears and brass armor. Spiders look like, well, spiders or scorpions and usually drop from the ceiling. Attack programs are usually energy-style weapons while Black IC programs are usually melee weapons, but there aren't any rules, obviously.

My persona is named Hermes, so he looks like an alabaster statue with a loin cloth (Armor program), winged shoes (Stealth program), winged helmet (Biofeedback filter), and a Caduceus (two snakes winding around a poll, one of Hermes' symbols). The Caduceus represents my commlink and any loaded attack programs, and Spartans or other programs' iconography jump forth from it. A crystal to peer through for Analyze, a quill for Editing, that kind of thing. I usually make it up as I go along, so does the GM. If any programs get crashed, they dissappear from the persona.

Foreign nodes are always different. In Cybercombat I've gotten cut by ninja, seared by fire Elementals, chopped by wild Natives, and often just blasted on my ass by an energy attack. As I stated above, the GM picks an archetype for the system off the top of his head or based on whoever built it. Volcanoes, Under the Sea, Mideval Japan, or a sterile hospital. The sky's the limit, have fun with it.
hobgoblin
ah, the power of sculpted systems.
sadly it does not apply that well for AR combat...
Glayvin34
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Too true. My GM decided that Wired Reflexes do, in fact, have their full effect in AR (there's plenty of discussion on this), so Hermes has done some AR cybercombat, which is much drier. In that case we usually just describe the personas as windows. So when you get attacked by a ninja, you just see an image of a 3 foot by 3 foot ninja doing a kick, then you're damaged. But sometimes AR combat does lead to "Agent 1 attacks, roll defense. Player 1 retaliates, roll attack." In that case Hermes is usually involved in some RL violence, so it doesn't get boring.
hobgoblin
well, instead of windows, they could be translucent 3d models or something, but end effect is much the same.
cybertrucker
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 16 2006, 05:31 PM)

Too true. My GM decided that Wired Reflexes do, in fact, have their full effect in AR (there's plenty of discussion on this), so Hermes has done some AR cybercombat, which is much drier. In that case we usually just describe the personas as windows. So when you get attacked by a ninja, you just see an image of a 3 foot by 3 foot ninja doing a kick, then you're damaged. But sometimes AR combat does lead to "Agent 1 attacks, roll defense. Player 1 retaliates, roll attack." In that case Hermes is usually involved in some RL violence, so it doesn't get boring.

[QUOTE]My GM decided that Wired Reflexes do, in fact, have their full effect in AR

This is a Terrible decision. It gives hackers way to much advantage over anyone that decides to go the route of the technomancer as technomancers and cyberware do not mix well at all!
Butterblume
QUOTE (Gort)
Matrix combat is really dull, it's just attack/defend over and over! There's no maneuvering or special moves or anything. Nothing to make it interesting or make people use tactics.

Sounds a lot like melee combat nyahnyah.gif.
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (cybertrucker)
QUOTE (Glayvin34 @ Aug 16 2006, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 16 2006, 05:31 PM)

[QUOTE]My GM decided that Wired Reflexes do, in fact, have their full effect in AR

This is a Terrible decision. It gives hackers way to much advantage over anyone that decides to go the route of the technomancer as technomancers and cyberware do not mix well at all!

EEK! NO! This has been debated to death here on DS. If you want to go back and read some of what was said check out these links:

This is where the most recent one started. It starts off talking about houserules then I pipe up and start ranting about Augmented AR IPs. Later I move it to a different thread so that booklord can have his thread back biggrin.gif
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=13744

This is where the "debate" was moved to.
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=13864

It looks like you just got here (the 15th) so I'm not attacking you. Just pointing you to where the disscussion has been had before so that this thread doesn't suffer the same fate as booklord's Matrix Rulings. We hijacked that one embarrassed.gif
RunnerPaul
And if I recall, when Bull was soliciting questions for his Hacking FAQ, this was question #1.
Samaels Ghost
By me biggrin.gif
Gort
QUOTE (Butterblume)
QUOTE (Gort)

Sounds a lot like melee combat nyahnyah.gif.

Yeah, but at least in melee combat you can jump on a table to gain some extra dice, or try disarming your opponent or something like that. There aren't any such moves in matrix combat, merely "use attack program" or "ignore combat and try and accomplish something while the IC beats on you".

Plus, everyone goes the exact same number of times!
Samaels Ghost
AR doesn't have to break from the iconography that is commonplace in VR. It may be shorter animations, but take fighting games for example. A lot happens in a few seconds if you know what you're doing. I always thought it was weird that hacking involved weird fighting between icons. It seems like it wouldn't be conducive to hacking, being a distraction and all.
Eryk the Red
AR combat might be described differently than VR, but still interestingly. The icons are there (primarily as an indicator of who's around and what they're doing), but actual actions could be described not merely as animations of those icons, but as other effects. Think of what hacking often looks like in movies (you know, in movies where computers seem to be magic and hackers are demigods). When attacked, you could see windows of raw code being disrupted, the code being altered by random values. You could even blend this with icon animations, wherein an IC firing a laser blasts the code, leaving behind red, corrupted text amid the proper white text.

Just an idea. I definitely think there's an opportunity for something different here. Not that it'll matter much in my game. Physical reflex boosters do not help with AR in my game.
silhouette
AS the player in question I agree with my GM.

Cybercombat was boring, for me let alone the other two players who were sat twiddling their thumbs.

No amount of flavour text will improve the situation either, because at the end of the day it is simple flavour text, it means nothing in the game.
In regular combat "There is a dirty ally with a fire escape and a dumpster" That dumpster can be used as cover, the fire escape is a handy way out if cornered...

In VR "the node is a castle with knights and a moat as the firewall. There are peasants carrying data in and out."
Very nice, and pretty, but essentially still just flavour, it boils down to my programs against theirs with no modifiers except wounds.

I have a start hacker, Cracking group 4 (something I now think was a mistake should have bought hacking and cybercombat at 6)
Response 4 all relevant programs 6 (reduced to 4 because of response)

I did forget to add in my +2 dice for hot sim.

Hack into a system on the fly, oh dear triggered an alarm. rating 4 blackhammer IC attacks.

I get 3IP it gets 3IP.

I attack 8 dice (should have been 10 but I forgot) it defends 8 dice.
If I hit it takes 5 damage with 8 dice to stop it, expecting 3 so perhaps 2 boxes.

It attacks 8 dice, I defend 8 dice (response 4 firewall 4) (is firewall restricted by system? do I get +2 for hot sim?)
If it hits me I am in a lot of trouble so I use edge to defend.

After 3 combat TURNS I have done 4 boxes. (all from my first attack where I used edge). I did roll bad on attack. It just boiled down to rolling dice to attack, then defend, then attack, then defend. As the other PCs got more bored I decided to blow that for a game of soldiers and jacked out reporting I couldn't get past the security.
Neither side could do anything to gain an advantage. All that mattered was 1 skill and a bunch of gear which is limited at startup.

So flavour text aside, anyone know how to fix this? Or are we doing something completely wrong?
Eryk the Red
You could always add some extra maneuvers that parallel some of the physical combat maneuvers (take aim, etc), as has been suggested.

I might allow characters to assume that icons I describe in the environment are more than window dressing. Let them take cover. Let them manipulate the environment (to a degree). This is, of course, symbolic. You are not hiding behind a rock. Maybe you're taking advantage of a program glitch that is disruptive to attack programs. Or you are attempting to redirect programs targeting you to an extraneous file (the icon of which is a rock). You simply apply the normal cover rules to this situation.

I'm sure there are other possibilities.
The Jopp
There is nothing really stopping you from adding cover modifiers from the virtual enviroment because they are ”real” to anyone in VR. Virtual “fog” in a full VR multiplayer game would most likely affect vision or your “attack” program.

Play it out like a real battle where the attack program might be a gun, lance, spell whatever. The Node environment might be a virtual office complex with walls and cubicles stopping attacks from attack programs.
deek
I've been trying to resolve this issue in my games as well...I think it still comes down to the fact that only once character is acting...I mean, unless you have a group that is going to take advantage of everyone jumping into the matrix, even if AR, then you are still isolating a single player during a group run...and everyone else is just sitting around.

Some of my players try to stay interested, but the others just pass the time until the hacker is back in the real world. I keep telling them it won't be so bad once there is a firefight and the hacker is in the matrix while the rest of the group is attacking, but so far, that hasn't happened and the hacker is taking matrix actions when the rest of the group isn't doing anything.

We have gotten faster at resolving matrix stuff, but that is due to scrapping the fluff stuff and just getting down to the basic actions, rolling dice and then getting out...I try to describe some stuff, but it often just gets in the way, and with the rest of my players just wanting to hurry up and get on with the game...its tough.

One of the things I was happy with in 4th was how the hacker was more integrated with the team, but it appears there is still an isolation factor. And maybe it will change in the future, with the hacker deciding to open backdoors and whatnot to let the other characters jack in and help out, but not all my players even care to go AR or VR alongside the hacker...
Gort
Well, there's no reason you can't drop more players into the matrix, it's not like you have to be cybered to do it any more.

I think the simplified matrix helps a LOT to alleviate the problem of decker isolation, I just wish there was a bit more to combat. Perhaps Unwired will help with this problem, as well as the other matrix problems of not really knowing how it all works.
The Jopp
Well, there IS nothing stopping you from uploading the same programs to the team and let them piggyback on the hackers connection. Once he has opened the door they could actually join in the action by AR - ok, they won't be GOOD at it but they could provide backup or just sit back and be quiet.

Since everyone and their mother now has a commlink they could join in, not well but they could sit with a stealth program and a basic attack program, it's only their commlink taking damage anyway.

This way the entire team is involved. Or they could watch the show from the hackers eyes on their own commlinks while eating popcorn and cheering him on...
deek
Well, I will certainly put those down as options to bring to my group...and it does make sense...the rest of the characters in AR, with Armor, Attack and Stealth...at the very least, they could help out...

I think my players still have a barrier that if they aren't a hacker, they don't belong "in" the matrix, so I should try a bit harder to surpass that obstacle...

For me, that would help...not really helping the "boring" aspect of the matrix for some players, but at least if everyone is involved, its not a huge thumb-twiddler. Although, I do think because these are starting characters, the group hasn't completely meshed yet...
BlackHat
QUOTE (The Jopp)
Well, there IS nothing stopping you from uploading the same programs to the team and let them piggyback on the hackers connection. Once he has opened the door they could actually join in the action by AR - ok, they won't be GOOD at it but they could provide backup or just sit back and be quiet.

Since everyone and their mother now has a commlink they could join in, not well but they could sit with a stealth program and a basic attack program, it's only their commlink taking damage anyway.

This way the entire team is involved. Or they could watch the show from the hackers eyes on their own commlinks while eating popcorn and cheering him on...

I disagree. There is nothing stopping a whole team of shadowrunners from tagging along on the matrix, but it would be a pretty convoluted situation in which they all HAD to go (so the GM could keep everyone interested). And, in general, the Hacker would probably prefer they didn't. Their commlinks probably arn't as tricked out as the hacker's and (depending on your GMs interpretation of the rules) it would take a lot of time to crack/copy the hacker's l33t hacking software onto everyone else's commlinks.

That said, once everyone is online in the same place, that just gives the security hackers/riggers and IC a better chance of notice an intruder and going on alert (callign in reinforcements, etc), since there are now 3-4 intruders to spot instead of just one highly skilled one.

If I were playing a hacker (and I sometimes am), and some troll street-sam pulled out his metalink and wanted to tag along, I'd say no.

Just no.
deek
QUOTE (BlackHat)
I disagree. There is nothing stopping a whole team of shadowrunners from tagging along on the matrix, but it would be a pretty convoluted situation in which they all HAD to go (so the GM could keep everyone interested). And, in general, the Hacker would probably prefer they didn't. Their commlinks probably arn't as tricked out as the hacker's and (depending on your GMs interpretation of the rules) it would take a lot of time to crack/copy the hacker's l33t hacking software onto everyone else's commlinks.

That said, once everyone is online in the same place, that just gives the security hackers/riggers and IC a better chance of notice an intruder and going on alert (callign in reinforcements, etc), since there are now 3-4 intruders to spot instead of just one highly skilled one.

If I were playing a hacker (and I sometimes am), and some troll street-sam pulled out his metalink and wanted to tag along, I'd say no.

Just no.

That's a good point, but I think THAT comes down to the hacker in question. The one I run for, so far has yet to break into any node without signaling an alarm...so, stealth has not been his best trait...

I agree with ya, that having 3-4 other personas in there is not going to help stay undetected, but if the hacker is just needing to pick up information or whatnot, having the other players in there could by him time or possibly be some cannon fodder...again, depends on the situation.

And not all matrix runs need this in my games, as sometimes it is just a quick matter of the hacker getting access, finding a security node and then dropping into AR while keeping the node subscribed...those are usually pretty quick.
Glayvin34
I know it's been debated to death, but the use of Wired Reflexes in AR somewhat helps to integrate my Hacker with the team.
I'm often blasting some spider with Black Hammer in AR one IP and firing my Ares Alpha the next. I know, I know, Anathema to some of you, but my GM does a decent job of planning around Hackercentricity, which sometimes involves giving them more strength, itstead of taking it away.
Eryk the Red
Also, there's no reason that nothing else can be going on while the hacker works. If characters choose to sit and watch the hacker work, that's fine, but they can get up and do stuff. Matrix combat can occur simultaneous to normal combat, for example.
deek
I agree...but in practice, everyone kinda sits around and waits...plus, outside of combat, there is not much the other players can do when we are breaking things up into IPs...
mfb
first, i don't think it's a matter of the rest of the team tagging along with the decker in Matrix combat. they've all got commlinks, right, to handle their various stuff--routing all their gear, etcetera? that means they're all online, and that means they're liable to be attacked. if the team's shooters are using skinlinked smartlinks, knocking their commlinks out of commission will take out their smartlinks. if they're using an AR map to navigate, taking out their commlink will deny them that advantage. heck, the rest of the team is more likely to be attacked than the hacker--they're easier targets.

second, there's no reason an AR battle can't take place at the same time as a regular battle. the opposition--and the team, for that matter, once they figure things out--should be mixing AR attacks and bullets the same way they mix bullets and spells/spirits.

in short, there is absolutely no reason for the rest of the team to sit around twiddling their thumbs while the hacker does his thing.
BlackHat
QUOTE (mfb)
in short, there is absolutely no reason for the rest of the team to sit around twiddling their thumbs while the hacker does his thing.

Unless the hackers thing is legwork or breaking into some system while the team is preparing for legwork - in which case he'll probably finish before the rest of the team gets up and makes it all the way across the room to the door of their safehouse.

Yay for bullet-time.

My only real issue with hackers stealing the spotlight in games is because the hacker might decide he wants to do something like, exploit his way in, on the fly, to some person's semi-secure node, to get some intel that might help the group. Rolling out the exploit, the perception rolls, in inevitable alarms, and the cybercombat can eat up quite a bit of in-game time... but the hacker actually accomplishes the whole task in under a minute - so non-hacking teammates can't really accomplish a whole lot, even if they intend to do some legwork of thier own soon. (Assuming the GM wants to keep temporal consistancy).

At least when the wired-reflexes street-sam goes into bullet-time, its in combat, where the rest of the team could at least attempt to participate during at least 1 of the 3 IPs.

A similar thing happened in a game where a friend of mine wanted to play a Sam Fisher-type with ruthinium and lots of stealth in SR3. He could totally go first and recon a building before we all came busting in... and it might make some sense to let him try in some cases. However, we never really let him try - not because we were worried about him tipping anyone off about a possible Shadowrun going down there - but because we would have had to sit around for hours while he rolled stealth rolls and went on a solo-mission.

Same thing with Hackers, IMO. The hacker could probably start his legwork while the rest of the team is at the meet, and the Johnson has just sent the waitress to get whatever food and drink they all ordered - and he'd probably be done before the waitress came back, and might have some useful information that might lead the group to ask more intelligent questions... but, my group at least, wouldn't want to sit around while the hacker stole the GMs attention for a half hour of real time, rolling out 30-seconds of game-time actions.
Samaels Ghost
When going on system infiltration runs, our hackers (two) Probe the Target. It's just safer. For us, the above time-inconsistency isn't a problem. For that matter, any PC can do legwork at the table by sending pics and info to contacts, looking up info that interests them and even interjecting when the hacker starts making his boring rolls with a little bit of RP. If your group isn't all cheaters than one player can roll for the opposing system while the GM talks to the rest of the players about what they're doing.
mfb
QUOTE (BlackHat)
Unless the hackers thing is legwork or breaking into some system while the team is preparing for legwork - in which case he'll probably finish before the rest of the team gets up and makes it all the way across the room to the door of their safehouse.

these are things the GM can avoid or mitigate, with some preparation. preparation's the key; to amend my previous statement, the only reason the the rest of the team should be sitting around twiddling their thumbs is if the GM didn't plan ahead.
cybertrucker
The group I run for does not have a hacker we have a technomancer and cyberware is a no no.. .therefore I will keep AR rules the way they are.. Besides Our Technomancer gets enough spotlite on pretty 90% of the runs. I mean without her they would be up a creek alot of the time. Therefore I dont see a reason to have her be as quick in AR on the outside as she is on the inside even if she was a hacker I would not allow Wired reflexes or boosted reflexes to effect her AR combat/actions.

As for Hackers getting alot of attention that has been something that has happened in Shadowrun since first edition. Granted the 4th edition has made huge improvements. Our Technomancer runs shotgun for our group hacking security systems and building cameras constantly communicating with the group to help them clear the way. She prefers to hack from afar then head in with them but sometimes she has to be there. I think our group loves having her and dont mind that sometimes she takes some of the time away from them.
Samaels Ghost
How do you prepare for this sort of thing? Even when you have the stats of a system, security protocol, and where info is at on a network, you still can get bogged down in the cybercombat if the hacker gets caught. Whatsmore, the players always seem to think of something that you didn't.
mfb
you prepare by making sure that there are lots of points where the team can get into simultaneous Matrix and physical activities, and rarely or never any points where solo hacking will allow the team to succeed. solo hacking should be handled the same way as astral recon or even astral quests--one on one, if possible, while the rest of the players are getting pizza or whatever.

i dunno how many of y'all have ever played SR3, but several of you certainly have an SR3 mindset when it comes to Matrix stuff. you've got this picture of the hacker as the guy who sits in his room and hacks things by himself. that's now how things work in SR4. it's one of the things that's really, really great about SR4--you have the ability to integrate just about everything the different character types can accomplish. if you're not using that ability to its fullest extent, that's your fault, not the ruleset.
BlackHat
I agree that a SR3 mindset can certainly get in the way - but I don't think its entirely any GMs fault... especially if the hacker has the same SR3 mindset, and prefers to do his thing from the safety of a coffin motel or something similar.

Although SR4 allows for the hacker to be doign his hacking thing while the rest of the group is doing a shoot-em-up or something, I still think the power to bog down the game lies in the PCs hands, should they chose to use it.

Lets say the team hears about some shadey shiz goin down at a certain nightclub - and the Decker thinks it might be worth a look in their matrix node (or maybe he just wants to add the group to the VIP list so they can get in without any hassle). He would be a retard to wait until the whole group is walking into the nightclub to start doing his thing. Sure, it would allow for the whole group to be interacting with NPCs, furthering the plot, or doing their end of the legwork at the same time... but by the same token, a hacker in VR could finish the job before the teams taxi arrived to take them to the club - but, it could eat up a half-hour or so of real time.

In almost every mission (SR3 or SR4) that I have played, after being told the details, the hacker/decker always wanted to investigate something online afterwards. That is where they shine, and where some really valuable information can come from... but I, for one, have trouble thinking up a plot hook wherin the decker would feel absolutely no interest in taking a 5-minute delve into the matrix to better inform the group after hearing what it was.

I think the best that a GM can do to mitigate this sort of thing, is to have prepared a bunch of information that the players might find on public-nodes after performing data-searches given the information that you know they will have after the meet. Then, with one roll (or a bunch of extended rolls, that you can pretty much assume any decent hacker can make) you hand them the paper, or whatever and let them sift through it all on their own time.

If the player is determined to hack a system on the fly though, I still don't think there isn't much the GM can do to keep the other players involved unless
A) The GM isn't worried about time flowing the same speed for both teams, and knows it would take some time for them to meet back up and/or message one another (for example, the team splits up, to do independant legwork, and plans to meet back up the following night) or
B) The rest of the team instantly gets into combat. =D Combat is pretty much the only other system with the same real-time-to-game-time ratio.

Otherwise, the hacker is more than likely going to complete his task in less than 5-minutes, meaning anything the other players wanted to accomplish probably won't even be started by the time the hacker is done.
mfb
there are two possible ways to handle stuff like that--at least, there are two that occur to me off the top of my head.

the first is to simply push through it as fast as possible. give the host low stats, fudge the rolls if that's your thing, maybe even skip the rolls entirely unless the hacker's trying something actually difficult (or stupid). if it's something that a) the hacker's probably going to succeed at and b) isn't particularly dramatic or important to the run, rp it out and roll as little as possible. just because you're doing stuff in the Matrix doesn't mean you have to break things down into init passes and stuff.

second, make good use of offline hosts and signal-inhibiting materials. if the club is big and exclusive, give them a custom setup where the guest list is kept in an onsite server room whose walls form a Faraday cage. to hack the really important stuff, make the team go all Ocean's 11.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 17 2006, 07:48 PM)
Otherwise, the hacker is more than likely going to complete his task in less than 5-minutes, meaning anything the other players wanted to accomplish probably won't even be started by the time the hacker is done.

GOOD! That means he can put down his data gloves, get off his lazy ass and start shooting these security guards like the rest of us! biggrin.gif
M.Fillmore.1138
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 17 2006, 01:24 PM)
second, there's no reason an AR battle can't take place at the same time as a regular battle. the opposition--and the team, for that matter, once they figure things out--should be mixing AR attacks and bullets the same way they mix bullets and spells/spirits.

The first thing a node ought to be doing when it detects an attack is launch Trace as well as IC. The hacker only has his few actions, and he can try to prevent the trace from finding his access point(and thus likely physical location), or closing his access. Meanwhile the IC starts pounding on him. If he attacks to shut down the IC, then he gets traced. Now the team has something to worry about as there are physical bodies on the way.

The one thing that a big, installed system out to be able to do is more things than a hacker can do. Something as simple as an extra set of programs running before Response starts being affected would likely go a long way toward making things more interesting.
hobgoblin
iirc, the only program a node is able to use without using ice is analyze.
so trace would be stuffed inside a ice just like all the rest.

still, launching both a trace and a attack ice (possibly a blackout or black hammer ice) would be tacticaly sound given fillmores points. having more then one target force you to prioritize, and taking down one makes you open for the other.

would be interesting if the trace ice had a way to go hide after it had a lock and was going down the route.
Samaels Ghost
And having sec Hackers visiting a node doesn't reduce it's response, while IC will. Having a distraction IC and a trace IC is a good idea. I think I'd stick with a Stealthed Tracer, though. Let s the intruder take his time.
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 18 2006, 07:33 PM)

still, launching both a trace and a attack ice (possibly a blackout or black hammer ice) would be tacticaly sound given fillmores points. having more then one target force you to prioritize, and taking down one makes you open for the other.

would be interesting if the trace ice had a way to go hide after it had a lock and was going down the route.

Though it is far more expensive, having a Pilot program instead of a OS would enable a node to act in it's own defense without lowering response, right?
Aaron
I've played a hacker and been a GM for hackers/TMs. Generally, I've found that when IC is lauched, the player is more interested in finishing up what she's doing and getting out than facing down the IC in combat. If it's just the hacker and not the rest of the team, I do away with initiative rolls altogether and just go back and forth (with the appropriate tweaks for IPs). Most of the time, I'm able to arrange for the serious Matrix combat to coincide with meatspace combat.

Ultimately, I haven't seen Matrix combat as a problem.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 18 2006, 07:33 PM)

Though it is far more expensive, having a Pilot program instead of a OS would enable a node to act in it's own defense without lowering response, right?

what a pilot can and cant do in the matrix or its own node is sadly not defined.
Eyeless Blond
Erm, a drone Pilot program is essentially the same as an IC program, which are both the same as Agent programs. The difference between the three isn't how they work so much as what they're assigned to do. IC is nothing more than a Matrix Agent program that is activated automatically by a node, rather than manually by a hacker. A drone Pilot is just an Agent that issues commands to to the drone or other meatspace machine rather than running Matrix programs.

(Edit): The problem many people are having is that they think that the Pilot attribute is the same as a Pilot program, and that the pilot's governing program (the "Pilot attribute") takes over a node's System. The flavor paragraph on page 213-214 saying this is unfortunate, because it muddies the waters here, but the rest of the rules seem to be saying that Agents/IC/drone Pilots are programs being run under a node's OS and act as users of the node, rather than completely replacing/overwriting the node's OS. The Agent/IC/drone Pilot's "Pilot Attribute" governs how well the Agent/IC/drone Pilot program operates, and is thus called an "operating system", but I don't think it should replace the actual node or drone's native System rating, and in no place other than that unfortunate flavor paragraph on page 213-214 is it ever implied to.

Possible errata, or am I completely off base here?
Samaels Ghost
Would a drone's Pilot program take up Response though? That doesn't seem right.
silhouette
No I think that would just take one of your subscriber slots.

If your deck (sorry comlink, old habits die hard) isn't running it it won't slow it down. The drone will run its own pilot.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Aug 19 2006, 11:56 PM)

Sure, why not? It's not like a drone's computer is running any other programs, so it won't matter unless an over-paranoid rigger had loaded too much IC onto said drone computer.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)

Sure, why not? It's not like a drone's computer is running any other programs, so it won't matter unless an over-paranoid rigger had loaded too much IC onto said drone computer.

No, no, no - not again.

Pilot replaces System.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Aug 20 2006, 11:44 PM)
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)

No, no, no - not again.

Pilot replaces System.

Yeah, I read that paragraph too. I still like my way better.
Samaels Ghost
I think my comm is getting an upgrade biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012