Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A matter of conversational free spirits...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pendaric
Here is a nasty thing am doing to my mage PC at the moment, am having interested free spirits, travel to the metaplanes and converse with the bound spirits of said magicain.
This works for every type of conjureing magicain by the way.
Or I should say the free spirits are searching for the bound spirits of the character on the metaplanes. There big places after all.

My point here is the postulation that conjured spirits of what ever type may not cease to exist after being conjured or at least while bound/placed on stand by, exist on the metaplanes of their orgin. As intellegent beings they can be communicated with despite an alien mentality, a mentality a free spirit would likely understand.
Combined with the ability to go to any metaplane at will, the free spirit can now hunt down information from spirits who have been in contact with the character. Directly or via word of mouth, rumor and barter. A spiritual 'street' for leg work.
Consider the amount of information one of your spirits could give on you, especially if a great form or high force/more intellegent than the average person.

This lead to the logical conclusion that there may be different factions at work on this spiritual heirachy with in each and through out the meta planes. Such political moves as this would create would be understood by dragons and free spirits etc
Hope this can be used in your run ideas.

spin.gif
Backgammon
Despite your atrocious grammar, you bring up an interesting idea. Of course, if you have a Free Spirit gunning for you, you can pretty much assume you're in deep drek anyway, extra-planar legwork or no wink.gif
Critias
So you're just giving Free Spirits one more way to magically know everything about your characters. Well, that's a relief. They're so underpowered, they need every little bit of help they can get!
toturi
I'd give the free spirit a busy signal when he is trying to communicate with a bound spirit given,"Go back to the metaplanes and await my summons." Sorry, but this bound spirit is currently unavailable at the moment, please call back later.
Dread Polack
Wow, I'm totally gonna use that some time biggrin.gif

Dread Polack
Samaels Ghost
I think the idea is paying for privliged info from free spirits in-the-know. Tracking down intimate details about mages through their bounds spirits could get a free spirit all the things he would otherwise have to work really hard for. Especially if your PCs are abusing their bound servants. A free spirit info broker that takes some time everyday to tap the astral rumor-mill, I like it biggrin.gif
emo samurai
Plus, spirits bound might not have very useful information, since their understanding is so comparatively "limited" by our standards. "He was not of earth, and yet he commanded to be one with earth" is more likely to be your earth elemental's answer than "He was on a run on an Ares facility when it fragged up and he had to escape through the earth."
Samaels Ghost
But info on where one might find a viable sympathetic link might be useful. Or just knowing which spirits are whose spirits will let you track their link right back to their masters.

"you're looking for who? Ah yes! I know the Valkyrie he has ensnared. Poor girl, got disrupted pulling his ass out of the fire last month. I'm sure she'd let you back-track her link to that slimeball mage. That'll be 4 Karma please biggrin.gif"
Pendaric
On a broader picture am hoping the meta planer angle allows for more reasons for a run. Though not so obvious to the runners from the begining due to the problem of only having half the picture and often alien in mind set. The employer being a dragon/free spirit etc in contest with another free spirit/dragon or magical orginisation on a metaplaner control agenda.

Free spirits do not necessarily have to be oppersition after all and meta planer quests allow magicains to play turn about on this resourse. Blackmail is always a good reason to take a job after all and a metaplanar creature could use this method of data collection for such an aim.

A small attempt to break the need to kill every entity the runners encounter game play. Hope you find it useful.

Edit: The most important thing about this idea is to stop the 'close the door and everything stops and disappears' attitude that players get. There's a world, or in this case worlds, that continue to spin and interact with or without their presence and control. The fear of their own spirits being a resource much like their contacts is usally enough for the magicain to rethink his perspective on spirits and their nature depending on paradigm.
knasser

Presumably there are many spirits and the Free Spirit would have to find which of the multitude had been summoned by the PC. Perhaps it could do this from the astral signature of the summoned spirit. Visiting the scene of the crime, as it were. I don't think it would be fair to just let the Free Spirit find whoever it wanted easily.
emo samurai
What if it had Search and it had the target's aura in its mind?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012