Computer [4]
Demolitions [5]
Electronics [4]
Small Unit Tactics [7]
Wilderness Survival [3]

Mechanical Tentacle Operation [8]

*Unique Cyberware

Octoharness
A unique implant designed for dolphin riggers and deckers, the Octoharness can only be installed in dolphins, porpoises, and storm dolphins. The device is essentially a cybernetic jacket that wraps around the dolphin's body and is grafted to its spine. This sheath contains 5000MP of offline storage, a fairlight excalibur cyberdeck, 6/6 hardened armor, and 8 snake-spine whips (Target: Wastelands). These modified snake-spine whips can be used for locomotion on land. Dolphins with this implant have a running multiplier of 2 on land. Dolphins with this implant may only attack with their front 2 tentacles while walking and may not attack at all while running.

Darren was one of the few Storm Dolphins born in captivity. Both of his parents were mundane dolphins who were owned by a small research group with ties to Proteus AG. Darren never knew his parents. Their brains were dissected when he was just a baby. Raised by affectionate but distant human handlers, Darren was completely unaware of the cruel fate that had befallen his parents and which would befall him. Life his parents, Darren was a test subject in an experiment that intended to both create a DNI connection that dolphins could use and transform ordinary dolphins into submarine weapons. Shortly after reaching puberty, Darren was subjected to a series of painful surgeries and experiments with the complicity of the handlers who had pretended to love him.

The implants, both cybernetic and biological, greatly enhanced Darren's intelligence and understanding but they took their toll in other ways. The more he learned the more depressed and bitter he became. His anger and hatred toward humanity steadily grew and deepened until, one day, he snapped. No one was aware of the fact that Darren was Awakened. His handlers had overlooked the possibility that a storm dolphin could be born to a pair of mundane dolphins. This mistake cost them their lives when his powers manifested for the first time.

The fail-safes that kept Darren from turning on his handlers and escaping were deigned to keep a normal dolphin in check. They did not anticipate the powers of a storm dolphin. Darren slew his handlers and most of the researchers before escaping into the ocean.

With freedom came even more pain. Due to his cybernetic modifications, no other storm dolphins would accept him. His attempts to integrate himself into a pod always led to violence and he always won due to his superior abilities. Leaving a trail of corpses behind him, he fled toward land and vanished into the depths of metahuman society.

Not content with being a homeless outcast, Darren carefully built a small fortune through theft and murder. Using proxies who themselves only knew him through the matrix, Darren gained influence in the underworld and in the corporate world. Although the actual degree of that influence is rather limited, it is enough for his purposes.

Darren's single goal is nothing less than revenge against the entire metahuman species. To that end, he causes as much suffering and strife as is possible. He is a sexual sadist and will often hire expendable joytoys to satiate his deadly lusts. These victims are often dissected without anesthesia or torn limb-from-limb by his mighty tentacles. The more pain and suffering he inflicts the more pleasure he receives. While this small acts of depravity may occupy him for a short time, they cannot provide him with fulfillment. Darren's true intention is to exterminate the entire metahuman species.
toturi
rollin.gif
Trax
After he killed all his handlers and the scientists, were his last words "So long, and thanks for all the fish."?
Lagomorph
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Although the actual degree of that influence is rather limited, it is enough for his purposes.

Don't you mean, "enough for his Porpoises"?
Adarael
You know, I made a similar character once.

Of course, it was for David Brin's Startide Rising/Uplift universe, so it was actually perfectly in-theme. Though I did much prefer the Neo-Chimpanzee sociologist I made.
ronin3338
Am I the only one that thinks his first victim was a child prodigy who had a sub commander/designer as an adoptive parent?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Aug 18 2006, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 18 2006, 07:48 PM)
Although the actual degree of that influence is rather limited, it is enough for his purposes.

Don't you mean, "enough for his Porpoises"?

*Points to the 'No Puns' sign.*
biggrin.gif

I can't be the only one who thought that it was a good idea to take the dolphin decker from Johnny Mneumonic, make him a homocidal sociopath, and give him deadly tentacles. Just imagine the possibilities. You could have an entire campaign where the runners fight and are hounded by the forces of a mysterious criminal mastermind and, when they finally meet him face to face, he's a dolphin with cybernetic tentacles.

I must thank AH for the idea of making him a rigger. I refer to the following thread.
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=...ndpost&p=281239

QUOTE (ronin3338)
  Am I the only one that thinks his first victim was a child prodigy who had a sub commander/designer as an adoptive parent?

That is very possible. cyber.gif
Dog
Beautiful. Thank you for this. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Sounds like we're having tuna for dinner tonight, boys.

~J
knasser

Reminds me of that old spoof headline from the Onion:

Dolphins Evolve Opposable Thumbs
"Oh, Shit," says humanity.

Hyz., you are insane. I mean that in a good way, of course. Were you aware that dolphins don't actually sleep in the ordinary sense of the word? They sort of sleep one half of their brain at a time. Woe to the runners that try to surprise Darren.
Wounded Ronin
This NPC is just another argument for implementing a Sanity score in SR.

Uh, and an argument for using my various cinematic PTSD house rules once you lose enough sanity. Yeah.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Uh, and an argument for using my various cinematic PTSD house rules once you lose enough sanity. Yeah.

Exactly how many sanity points would being molested by a tentacled cyborg dolphin cost?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Aug 20 2006, 04:39 PM)

Uh, and an argument for using my various cinematic PTSD house rules once you lose enough sanity.  Yeah.

Exactly how many sanity points would being molested by a tentacled cyborg dolphin cost?

I'm not sure but it's a very important question. It's really the key benchmark by which Sanity loss for Lovecraftian things can be implemented in SR and the benchmark by which you could gauge which Horrors should cause sanity loss and how much. All of that in turn is the milestone against which you can gauge sanity loss from combat stress and that kind of thing.

Besides, now that we have SURGE and catgirls all we need are tentacle monsters and mentally destroyed catgirls to go along with our 12 year old social reject GMs. Who said that BESM was the best system for hentai?
John Campbell
Where's the smack addiction?
Samaels Ghost
This should be requoted:

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 16 2005, 02:28 AM)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 16 2005, 02:14 AM)
Little worried about how a dolphin would "sexually violate" someone....

Well, it helps if they are in the water. If they are then mostly the usual ways. Captive male dolphins have been known to attemt to rape people who swim with them. People run the dolphin's belly in the wrong spot thinking its cute and the dolphin sees that as a request for sexual service.

Dolphin pensis's are also prehensile when they are not aroused, giving the ability to do many interesting things.

hyzmarca
Hmm...

Every character has a sanity pool equal to CHA+INT+WIL. It refreshes whenever Karma Pool refreshes.

Certain stressful situations may require that characters make sanity checks. The character rolls dice allocated from the sanity pool vs a TN determined by the nature situation. Wound penalties do not apply. Should the character fail he must take a mental flaw with a point value equal to or greater than the TN of the test. Certain mental flaws (such as flashbacks) may be taken multiple times under this rule. A single success is enough to avoid a permanent flaw. However, a character who only gets one success must still take a temporary flaw until his sanity pool refreshes. Two or more successes are enough to avoid a temporary flaw.

Pedestrian Stresses
It is assumed that Shadowrunners are hardened professionals and should not be bothered by the following stresses. The same goes for most adversarial NPCs. Pedestrian NPCs are not so lucky.

-Watching someone die (in person); TN4
-Being taken hostage for less than 1 hour; TN2 +1 if weapons are brandished
-Being taken hostage for more than 1 hour; TN3 +1 if weapons are brandished
-Receiving an M wound TN3
-Seeing a thing that should not be (an obvious zombie, obvious shedim, or obvious Flesh Form insect, tentacle monster, super dolphin) (in person) TN5.
-Anything else the GM deems fit.

Major Stresses
Unlike Pedestrian Stresses, Major Stresses can test the sanity of PCs and major NPCs. These are the things that make even hardened soldiers cry at night. Add +2 the the TN if these stresses afflict a pedestrian character.

-The death of a loved one (significant other, family member, long time partner, trusted teammate, etc); TN2
+1 if the character witnesses the death
+1 if the loved one is killed by a thing that should not be
+2 if the death is particularly gruesome (skinned alive, eaten by a Wendigo, chunky salsa, flattened by a giant steam iron, etc.)
+3 if the character did it (doesn't apply if he's just a heartless bastard)

-The character receives serious or greater damage; TN2
+1 for deadly damage
+1 for each wound effect
+1 for magic loss
+1 if the wound is caused by a thing that should not be

-Temporary physical or mental violation (Unwanted fondling, control manipulation spells for less than 10 combat turns, mind probe); TN3
+1 if the perpetrator is a things that should not be

-Violating a personal code (Pacifist commits murder, Gunslinger shoots a man in the back)TN4
+1 if a things that should not be is involved

-Prolonged physical or mental violation (rape, torture, control manipulations for more than 10 CTs, multiple mind probes, memory alterations, forced Personafix use); TN5
+2 for permanent involuntary body modification (amputation, piercing, branding, cyberware instillation)
+2 for permanent mental modifications (memory alteration, personality modification)
+1 for each point of magic loss
+1 if the perpetrator is a thing that should not be

Example:Bob the pacifist combat mage is captured by Iv'Trak the extraplanar tentacle monster. Iv'trak first does what tentacle monsters do, then severs Bob's legs so he can't run away, and then does what tentacles monsters do again.
Bob has 18 Sanity dice. Chooses to roll 10 of them. His base TN is 5 because of the tentacle rapes, +2 due to the amputation, and +1 due to the fact that it is being done by a tentacle monster. His total TN is 8.He rolls 19 09 05 04 04 03 02 01 01 01 ; two successes. He keeps his sanity.

Next, Iv'Trak makes Bob choose between killing one of his children himself or letting Iv'Trak kill all three. Bob makes the tough call. His TN for keeping his sanity is 2, +1 because he is witnessing the death, +1 because Iv'Trak should not be, and +3 because Bob is doing the deed himself, for a total of 7. He chooses to roll 6 dice for is sanity test this time. The Highest roll is 5, 0 successes. Bob must now take 7 points worth of mental flaws. He chooses flashbacks (pictures of his dead son) and Phobia (tentacle monster, moderate)

But wait, Bob is a pacifist and he just committed a cold blooded murder. He must make a sanity test for that, too. He only has 2 sanity dice left so he rolls them against a TN of 5; 03 02, no successes. This time Bob chooses the easy way out and takes Amnesia for 5 points. He's still screwed but at least he doesn't know it.
toturi
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
This should be requoted:

Well, it helps if they are in the water. If they are then mostly the usual ways. Captive male dolphins have been known to attemt to rape people who swim with them. People run the dolphin's belly in the wrong spot thinking its cute and the dolphin sees that as a request for sexual service.

Dolphin pensis's are also prehensile when they are not aroused, giving the ability to do many interesting things.

Too... much... information... indifferent.gif eek.gif
Toshiaki
I can't help but think of The Pet Professional and his arch-nemesis.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
-Prolonged physical or mental violation (rape, torture, control manipulations for more than 10 CTs, multiple mind probes, memory alterations, forced Personafix use); TN5
+2 for permanent involuntary body modification (amputation, piercing, branding, cyberware instillation)

Anyone else getting ideas for a mage who mind controls people into getting universally offensive tattoos and/or excessive piercings?
Chrome Shadow
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Of course he hates metahumanity, it because of us that he got that jack itch...

Hahahahahaha...
knasser
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 20 2006, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Aug 21 2006, 07:49 AM)
This should be requoted:

You think that's too much information? I've waited years for the right moment to post this link.

Be very afraid. rotfl.gif

EDIT: I feel obliged to warn people that although the link above is hillarious, there are some people who might find it offensive. No pictures thankfully, but extraordinary subject matter.
Chrome Shadow
I have no words...
PlainWhiteSocks
Let me see if I've got the insanity check system right. knasser's dolphin link would be a Major Stress Temporary physical or mental violation for a base TN 3. I am not a shadowrunner IRL so I have +2 TN for that getting to TN 5. It gets the "+1 if a things that should not be is involved" bringing my TN to a 6.

I have 9 dice in my sanity pool. Other than reading posts on DS I don't think I'll be experiencing anything else that would make me roll a sanity check before my karma refreshes. I roll all 9 dice.

I think my head is going to explode.

Ophis
I dread the reasons that lead to you finding that...
Wounded Ronin
You know, it seems like a reasonable sanity system. We should start playing with it so that we can have more tragic mentally broken characters.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (knasser)
This should be requoted:

You think that's too much information? I've waited years for the right moment to post this link.

EDIT: I feel obliged to warn people that although the link above is hillarious, there are some people who might find it offensive. No pictures thankfully, but extraordinary subject matter.

What's really sad is how many times I have seen that now.
knasser
QUOTE (Chrome Shadow)
I have no words...

Thank you.

I should mention that I am not the author of the article in question. biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
You know, it seems like a reasonable sanity system. We should start playing with it so that we can have more tragic mentally broken characters.

I don't know how well it would work. It'd probably be very easily broken. But I'd like to see how well it (and other sanity systems) handles in playtesting.

QUOTE (knasser)
I should mention that I am not the author of the article in question.

Riiight sarcastic.gif
Grinder
Threads like this make me love DS even more. biggrin.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Grinder)
Threads like this make me love DS even more. biggrin.gif

I need to revise the various PTSD related optional rule silliness I've written up on this page and make it mesh beautifully with hyzmarca's sanity system here. When I take up SR3 in the future maybe in '08 or something I feel like I should have a committment to people going insane and becoming loose cannons.
toturi
QUOTE (knasser)
This should be requoted:

Feels need to kill some... thing... Must resist urge to kill dolphin-lover... Must make Willpower 6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012