Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vicious Blow In Martial Arts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lleflyn
If I take the "Vicious Blow" maneuver with the Brawling martial art, I can then strike with my fists to do physical damage, can I not? My GM seems to believe my fists are not a weapon, and I can therefore not use Vicious Blow with my fists.

So... Can I strike for physical damage, unarmed, with the Vicious Blow maneuver?
MachineProphet
No, you need Killing Hands. That's why the power exists, I imagine.
motorfirebox
if you read too much into it, then the wording for vicious blow can be confusing--it does say "weapon". however, apply a little common sense--why the hell would it be in the unarmed combat section, if it wasn't intended to be used in unarmed combat?
Zazen
By the book, no, but Vicious Blow carries enough penalties and hassle that it is entirely reasonable to allow it barehanded. I do.
motorfirebox
yeah, well. ten bucks says it gets errata'd. besides, it'd be fairly easy to argue that the bare hands of a trained man are a weapon.
The White Dwarf
Id say yes. Otherwise, by canon, there would be no way to use the ability with arts that dont allow you to learn styles with weapon skills (such as brawling). The word "weapon" should perhaps be defined clearer, but in order for the allocation of manuvers to work there can be no alternative but to assume that that manuver counts fists as a weapon.
motorfirebox
indeed. for instance, it's listed as a maneuver for karate; however, karate (appropriately enough, given the name) does not grant the ability to use maneuvers with weapons. given that, it's safe to say that vicious blow is, indeed, intended for use with unarmed combat.
Cain
I'd have to agree. Given the drawbacks, Killing Hands is still many times more valueable than this maneuver, so it doesn't seem at all unbalanced for it to be used in generic unarmed combat.
Talondel
I could say something mean to MFB right here, but I won't. I hope my restraint is duly noted and appreciated.
The Surgeon
QUOTE (MachineProphet)
No, you need Killing Hands. That's why the power exists, I imagine.

So....I guess that means EVERY martial artist who ever existed, even prior to the Awakening, who killed someone with their bare hands, was a PhysAd? Don't think so, chummer.

But I agree completely with Zazen and Cain's comments.
Frag-o Delux
I might be mistaken, I looked last night trying to find the rule, but no avail. I seem to remember if you make an unarmed attack and add 4 to the target number you can do physical damage with a regular attack, but you have to call it before the attack. So the vicious blow as a trained skill I see no problem with it.
Orgone Accumulator
I think the big distinction is that Killing Hands can harm astral stuff, when coupled with Astral Perception.
Ed_209a
Killing hands can do its damage with a caress, can't it?

Vicious blow would require an obvious punch/kick/whatever.
MachineProphet
So....I guess that means EVERY martial artist who ever existed, even prior to the Awakening, who killed someone with their bare hands, was a PhysAd? Don't think so, chummer.

But I agree completely with Zazen and Cain's comments.

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge. I was guessing by the rather wuxia-y name that Vicious Blow was an Adept power. I had guessed it let stun weapons do physical damage. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Wireknight

Talondel said:
I could say something mean to MFB right here, but I won't.  I hope my restraint is duly noted and appreciated.

Are you talking about him picking up Vicious Blow for an adept who already has Killing Hands, or about him picking up Focus Will for attacks against spirits, despite his Killing Hands defeating their Immunity(Normal Weapons)?

Because bringing up either would be pretty cruel.
motorfirebox
suht up u guyz r mean!!!!!!1111!!!

actually, Italy had both those maneuvers before he got killing hands. vicious blowjob--er, blow--hasn't seen any use, but focus will saved his ass.
Talondel
QUOTE (Wireknight)
Are you talking about him picking up Vicious Blow for an adept who already has Killing Hands, or about him picking up Focus Will for attacks against spirits, despite his Killing Hands defeating their Immunity(Normal Weapons)?

Because bringing up either would be pretty cruel.

My work here is done.
Mongoose
The name "viscious blow" was in a martial arts sytem proposal I sent to FASA when they were doing the CC. They eneded up writing the martial arts stuff in hose based on a mishmash of submisions, but my submission (along with writing the skillsoft options, which origianlly were aimed at Man and Machine) was enought to net a contributing author credit.

Anyhow, the whole point of my version of "viscious blow" was to allow an unarmed combatant to do physical dmage with thier fists. Well, not nescesaily with fists- if you are using brawling, I'd expect a "viscious blow" might involve eye gouging, biting, and crushing of nads with any availalbe limb. Its not subtle or delicate, hence the name! I think the printed version pretty well follows this same general idea...
DV8
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
Killing hands can do its damage with a caress, can't it?

No, that's the silent form of the Delayed Damage power. Killing Hands needs an obvious attack as well, if I remember correctly. At least, that's how I always interpreted the rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012