Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Seattle sourcebook?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
I read a review on Runner Havens that its Seattle section isn't nearly as good as its Hong Kong section. Which Seattle book would you recommend?
Jrayjoker
New Seatlle. Its a bit more timely and IIRC incorporates some stuff from other books/sources that came out after the Seatlle Sourcebook.
JesterX
Well, I guess that New Seattle will be great, isn't?
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (JesterX)
Well, I guess that New Seattle will be great, isn't?

Huh?

I meant the SR3 book entitled "New Seattle". Not the SR4 [insert whatever equivalent there may be].
Critias
The SR4 equivalent is Runner Havens, pretty much (only it's Seattle and Hong Kong and a couple other places, IIRC).
eidolon
I would still suggest New Seattle (3e), even if you plan on running 4e. There's just so much great stuff in there.
Schaeffer
I've always preferred the way the original Seattle Sourcebook was put together, and got more mileage out of it than New Seattle, but it's info is, of course, woefully out of date.
Ancient History
Which review was this?
Synner
I'd say it was Cain's review on RPG net since that was the only one I know of that didn't think too highly of the Seattle section. Kosherpickle's review on DSF on the other hand prefered Seattle of H-K. Mileage will vary.

The original Seattle is a great source for locations and street level atmosphere, less so in terms of information about the overall sprawl, and its movers and shakers (and their agendas). A lot of the information is now quite dated though (specially as regards SR4).

New Seattle provided a lot more information on major players, setting context and local plots at the cost of specific locations and street color. It is a denser book than its predecessor and more oriented towards gamemasters than player enjoyment.

Runner Havens takes a similar approach to New Seattle for the most part.
stevebugge
I'll throw in another vote for the original Seattle Sourcebook. Maps are a little better, there are more locations, and the 6 or so pages of color plates are a lot of fun. Still need the other two to keep up to date on current events though. I also don't remember seeing the neighborhood security rating breakdowns in Runner Havens.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (stevebugge)
I also don't remember seeing the neighborhood security rating breakdowns in Runner Havens.

Yeah, I like those a lot. Very useful for figuring out response times and level of response.
Grinder
Would be nice to have it as free download from srrpg.com biggrin.gif
KosherPickle
QUOTE (stevebugge)
I also don't remember seeing the neighborhood security rating breakdowns in Runner Havens.

They aren't there. Anything having to do with rulesets isn't in Runner Havens. Just background information. Runner Havens, while similar to previous sourcebooks about Seattle, is not the same type of sourcebook. And that has to be taken into consideration.
stevebugge
QUOTE (KosherPickle @ Aug 22 2006, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Aug 22 2006, 11:20 AM)

They aren't there.

That's a relief, thought I was having a senior moment there. grinbig.gif

Anything having to do with rulesets isn't in Runner Havens.  Just background information.  Runner Havens, while similar to previous sourcebooks about Seattle, is not the same type of sourcebook.  And that has to be taken into consideration.

I understand it's a different book style, those happened to be a feature of the previous two I found very useful.
Snow_Fox
I've laways been a big fan of the original Seattle SB. The New Seattle was just really corps and that's it. The original SB was more about the otwn, neighborhoods etc. much more fun and entertaining to read.
Schaeffer
Well, the original Seattle Sourcebook certainly shaped the way our campaign began... I guess that's why it's my fav.
Ahh the days of facing off the Red Hot Nukes and poking around Glow City!
Dog
I'm both ashamed and proud to say that I tore some of the ads out of my 1ed Seattle Sourcebook and posted them in my locker in high school. Confused the hell out of lots of people.

That's what bugs me about the newer versions. They seem to push so hard for expositionary content that they're forgetting that the medium is the message. Not enough colour.
Teux
I see Runner Havens and New Seattle as updates to the Seattle Sourcebook.

Without the first edition book, they are both a little lacking in flavor and content, IMO.

Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Dog)
I'm both ashamed and proud to say that I tore some of the ads out of my 1ed Seattle Sourcebook and posted them in my locker in high school. Confused the hell out of lots of people.

That's what bugs me about the newer versions. They seem to push so hard for expositionary content that they're forgetting that the medium is the message. Not enough colour.

That's been my feeling for a long time. The early SB's created a world you could imagine people living in. Later books are just compilations of stats.

The last few 3rd Ed books- the SOTA's and MJLBB seemed to be heading back towards the original stuff but it was a long painful trip. It's the older stuff I keep on the shelf in my home office.
emo samurai
I remember the Neo-Anarchist's guide to real life, and I can do nothing but agree. Of course, that was written by Nigel D. Findley...
Ampere
I really loved the original Seattle Sourcebook.
Looked so cool. So many locations. The "Ads", the shadowtalk.
eidolon
Nothing quite captures the feeling for me as well as the 1st Edition Street Samurai Catalog. biggrin.gif
Dog
AH, you're writing for them now. You taking notes?
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Teux)
I see Runner Havens and New Seattle as updates to the Seattle Sourcebook.

Second that (though they are very welcome updates). I guess I have a hard time seperating my opinion about the newer books from what is hardwired into my image of SR through the 1st edition books. Still if you want to know which single one book to buy if you canīt have them all, New Seattle is the most usefull for a Seattle based champaign I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012