Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grab Bag o' Fiction (SR and otherwise)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Critias
SHADOWRUN:
The Prayer -- I recall posting this one here before, but it's been a while. In it, a young IRA Adept (Rory Caolain) prepares for a coming mission against the occupational tyranny of the Sidhe.

Debriefing -- Set an easy twenty years or so after Prayer, this story was something of a background piece for Rory as he was statted up for a one-shot game, with a little over 200 karma (and ironically, I had the 200 karma image of him in my head long before the "just starting" version, in the story I prefer quite a bit more). I'm still sore that I never got the chance to play him, except for in that high level game (and only in about two scenes, before it petered out).

Rooftops -- Winner of the first Tisoz Short Fiction contest, and my only actual story (not counting all my posts with him, in-character) so far with Tyler Wilde, Orkish Mobility Adept.

Promises -- Background piece for my one and only SR4 character (who's slowly getting into a few games, though I've still no idea if I statted up a decent character or not), Billy Shen. It's also my most recent piece of fiction, as of the time I post this thread. Canny readers may note an Adept pattern, by now (I dig Adepts, whattayawant?).

Firsts -- Connor fiction, my "main character" sort of guy, a Tir Ghost who Awakened (as an Adept) thanks to Halley's Comet. This particular story is, well, a lot of the "firsts" of his life (first fight, first chrome, first kill, etc), and is also the only one I've written that takes place before the point at which he entered play; every other Connor fic has been heavily influenced by gameplay (obviously).

Out of the Frying Pan, into the Shadows -- while not the chronologically first Connor fiction, this was the first I ever wrote. This was, in fact, the first mental image of the character I ever had, and was even written before he had a background (the "Tir Ghost" thing, btw, I have to thank Pistons and the Amnesia Flaw for).

Old Wounds -- Flashback-oriented piece on Connor, the first I wrote after getting that notorious private message from Pistons with my actual background. It was a short, damning, paragraph, that left me plenty of spaces that needed filling. All I knew was he used to have a wife and kid, and work for the Ghosts; I cooked up this one to try and piece some stuff together. It was also, as my wife complains, the first of my "sad stories."

Just a Walk -- This was something I threw together during the Brainscan campaign (howdy, DE), after Connor'd re-linked himself with the Tir Information Secretariat, and was (while still acting as a Shadowrunner in Seattle) a steady pipeline of information back to the Tir, as to the goings-on in Seattle's shadows.

Campus Life -- Wetwork in San Francisco. Connor was deeper into the Information Secretariat at the time I wrote this (obviously), and it was an attempt at a little-to-no dialogue piece (something very different from my usual RPing style).

A New Job -- When Tir Ghosts Attack!! It starts with a Rinelle cell, has a bloodbath in the middle, and ends with a face-to-face with a Prince (all set up just to launch my character into a 'run that never really finished, for OOC reasons). I mostly dig the opening half of this one (Ghosts in action, as I envision them).

Angels -- Just a link to Tisoz's Second Short Fiction Contest, in case anyone missed it. smile.gif

I'll post my non-Shadowrun stuff in a minute. Microwave just dinged, and Hot Pockets are calling my name.
Critias
CHAMPIONS/SUPER-HERO STUFF
Squall (background) -- Just what it sounds like, really. A background piece for my martial artist/telekinetic vigilante fella. I got to play Squall in precisely one scene of one game, but he was a fun way to learn the basic rules of the Hero system.

On Patrol -- Squall, this time doing stuff, working the streets and alleys of Minneapolis/St Paul. One of his character flaws (his most expensive one, IIRC) was that he had the entirety of his apartment building as one big Dependent. So basically whenever he wasn't specifically busy doing something else, he was playing guardian angel for all his neighbors. I thought it was a neat twist on a character, and made for a decent story.

ROKUGAN/LEGEND OF THE FIVE RINGS
Learning -- This was the first/background piece for a diceless play-by-post character of mine, Rikyu. In addition to some pretty fun in character stuff with him, I at one point went on to write four more pieces of short fiction about Rikyu and his travels (moving from Clan territory to Clan territory, like Sun Tao did). I have, naturally, since lost every single one of them. frown.gif

FORGOTTEN REALMS/D&D 3.0
The End -- A write-up I did to save everyone lots of work in an on-line D&D game, once upon a time. Our merry adventurers (and Ricyn, a NE fighter/rogue/assassin, who was an adventurer but not a merry one), in previous sessions, had found themselves in Skullport, working for a Drow that led a little thieves' guild. She'd sent us on a job, and just like a Shadowrun Mr Johnson, set us up. The more goodly-natured members of the adventuring party went on their merry way, but Ricyn proceeding to go all crazy-fucking-assassin on the collection of 1st-3rd level henchmen types (purchased as per the Leadership feat, by the NPC guild leader), and just basically wipe 'em out. He's an asshole that way, and with a few new magic items he'd just acquired, was more than capable of it. A bothersome twist was that he was sociopathic because of an abusive parent -- so he tended to (except for this one time, when wiping out a young-thief-oriented guild) protect kids in a fairly pathological fashion.

WARHAMMER 40K
An Honest Rebellion -- I still don't have any real reason for having written this one, except that the Witch Hunter Codex had just come out and given me an idea for an all-Stormtrooper army. Plus, I like IG and writing up a history for a few units was fun.

IRON KINGDOMS/WARMACHINE
Blisters and Bayonets -- An ongoing short fiction thread, over at the Privateer Press forums. I've been adding to this for about a year now, and it's probably the single piece of writing (maybe this, maybe Angels) that I'm the proudest of. This thread's sitting at a little over fourteen thousand views (which still blows me away), I've gotten tons of PMs and comments from fans, I ran into a few very excited fans at Gencon (which was almost emberassing), but I also heard that some of Privater Press's own writers/developers follow and enjoy it (which was just awesome to hear). It'll probably take as long to read -- just on the off chance anyone's even still reading this -- as every other piece of fiction I've posted so far, put together. It's long, but it's fun.
SL James
QUOTE (Critias)
I'll post my non-Shadowrun stuff in a minute. Microwave just dinged, and Hot Pockets are calling my name.

Mmm. Hot Pockets!
HullBreach
Just finished reading Rooftops, incredible! I want you to write a novel!
HullBreach
Just posted a plug for you on my website, keep it up!
Schaeffer
I just finished with the Shadowrun fiction. On another thread, I mentioned Argent as my favorite official character. I think Connor is now a close number two. smile.gif Nice work, and I second what HullBreach said!
SL James
Damn frooty elf.
Chrome Shadow
Critias: Congratulations!!!

Excellent work...

Blisters & Bayonets, UFFFF!!!
Critias
Is "UFFFF!!!" good or bad?
SL James
Maybe it means he now has to change his underwear.
Chrome Shadow
UFFFF!!! = Super very good...

And SL James, it was today that I "almost" had to change my underwear... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012