Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interbreeding
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
knasser

Hi,

Just querying the group mind to find out if there is any cannon information on breeding between metatypes that I may have missed.

To the best of my knowledge, a child will favour one parent's race or the other with no pattern predictable. Occasionally a child may favour neither metatype, e.g. two elves having a human child, two humans having a dwarf, though this has settled down somewhat since the awakening.

Is this still all correct or has aditional information ever been published and if so where.

Thanks for all replies,

-K.
Ancient History
Thank Ghost. For a minute there, I thought this was another dwelf thread.

Anywho. Generally speaking, a child will be of the metatype of one of the parents. It's theoretically possible the child could be of any metatype, but that hasn't been the case so far. Trolls and orks occaisionally give birth to humans that goblinize at puberty; the giant metavariant actually has a high occurence of giving birth to regular humans, about 1 in 4 kids.

One of these days - when I have the time - I'll fix the metagenetics page and try to clear this up.
knasser
I've seen your site, AH. And I'm familiar with your posts. I'm going to take this answer as definitive. It's what I thought, but I wanted to rule out having missed something and putting my foot in it.

Thanks,

-K.
Ancient History
De nada.

"...where everybody knows your name..."
FanGirl
Here's what I've gleaned from 4th edition:
QUOTE (SR4 @ pp. 65-66)
Now a half century past the Awakening, goblinization is exceedingly rare, occurring only to humans, usually during puberty.  In 2070, most metahumans are born to parents of the same metatype.  In the case of mixed parents, the child has a roughly even chance of being born as the metatype of either the father or the mother. There are no “half breeds” in the Sixth World—no elf-orks or dwarf-trolls, no matter how amusing the concept may be....

[Ork c]hildren are most often born in litters of four, but some ork mothers have given birth to as many as eight young. When sapiens [humans] are born to ork mothers, they will express as robustus [orks] at puberty roughly 95% of the time.
Wounded Ronin
Heh.

In the locker room:

Human high school student: "KE KE KE ROFL let's mock Ralph there because he dosen't have his pubes yet. OH MY GOD HE'S EXPRESSING INTO AN ORC!"

Ralph: "RALPH SMASH!!!!"
Snow_Fox
lol

We had a munchkin for a long time who refused to accept he couldn't be a half elf or a half orc. This was the same nit wit who finally had some sense knocked into him, litterally, when one player gave him a beat down.
Lagomorph
One of the characters in a game I played in was a human born from troll parents. He had size issues...
PBTHHHHT
I've always wanted to explore the situation where the child remains human (of ork or troll, heck even giant parents), and what troubles the individual faces living in the environment, any problems from siblings who took after the parents, etc... Still, I think what would be interesting is the kid is at school, the bullies start picking a fight and then finding out to their horror that the kid's is one of the Nelsons' brood (trolls/orks) as they then get their just rewards for bullying.
Kyoto Kid
...KK was a human born to Elf Parents.

Based on something I read back during the SR1 - SR2 days, If an elfin couple had twins one of the children would be human (which was the case with Kyoto). Don't remember if it was in the core rules, one of the supplements, or novels though.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
lol

We had a munchkin for a long time who refused to accept he couldn't be a half elf or a half orc. This was the same nit wit who finally had some sense knocked into him, litterally, when one player gave him a beat down.

How Brian-esque. Did the beatdown occur because of an in-game issue, or was it an unrelated outside life issue?
Snow_Fox
outside. Late one session one player was falling asleep. The twit woke him up by pulling on his beard. The bearded one came up swinging.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012