Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what's a good van/truck for a running battle?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
child of insanity
i'm creating a run for my players, and need a good car for the job. they are going to break into the facility, steal the package and on the way out they have to steal a specific vehicle. i'm doing that for a couple of reasons. first of all, adds some flavor. second i'll know exactly what it'll have and it's capabilities. there's more, but it doesn't matter.
after they steal the car/van/truck from facility A they have to get it to compound B. during that time they will be under attack from all sides. bikes, cars, vans full of people, drones, you name it. now what i need is a damn good car for them to use. any suggestions?
Wounded Ronin
If you're talking SR4 I have no idea what the rules are, but for SR3 the problem with having one vehicle under attack from all sides is that vehicle damage in many cases can feel all or nothing in that case. Either the attacks don't have the juice to damage the vehicle, or else they do and since there's a lot of attacks coming in the vehicle takes a S wound in a hurry and the driver has to make a crash test.

A Chrysler-Nissan patrol car is an easy to use out of the box fast and somewhat armored vehicle I'd recommend out of hand. However, it's going to be about as useful as a large cereal box if people come after it with AV ammo and the like and in that case you'll need something with ginormous amounts of armor.
Snow_Fox
right it's the eternal choice of fighting vehicals. you can build up armor and weapons but in doing so you lose maneuverability and speed. Get too bulky and you'll stand out in a street. I mean someone could drive a Bradley AFV through Newerk NJ in perfect safety, but the police might notice.

For a hard fight our group favors a Bulldog Stepvan, the Armored car variant with a pop up turret.
child of insanity
explosive ammo at best, most of them are going to be using regular ammo.
the bulldog might be a good choice though. i'm using sr3.
Snow_Fox
3rd ed is all I do.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (child of insanity)
explosive ammo at best, most of them are going to be using regular ammo.
the bulldog might be a good choice though. i'm using sr3.

...actually the Bonded Courier variant of the Bulldog is the best way to go. Better armour (concealed, I beleive) than the standard model, but the best feature over the Nissan Patrol is that it blends into normal traffic better.

Basically it's the standard UPS/FedEx delivery van of the 2050s - 60s.
Kagetenshi
The first questions, if you want this to be a challenge: do they have a Rigger, and what is the opposition you will be throwing at them?

~J
Butterblume
Make sure the van is black, with a red stripe around cool.gif.
PBTHHHHT
*groan*
Shrike30
One of the all-important questions my group had to ask (more than once) was "Okay, was the shaman in the front seat or the back seat of the van?"

Cuz, you know, when you've driven the van through a plate glass window into the foyer of a building, it's kind of important to know which domain he's in when it comes time to whip up a spirit ork.gif
Butterblume
rotfl.gif Thats hilarious.

To contribute something (more ore less) usefull: Beside the van, the only stylish choice would be a black stretch limo, of course with a skylight.
There could also be a red stripe spin.gif.
child of insanity
they have a rigger, a sniper adept, gunbunny adept, a tank and a shaman. i'm going to be throwing some guys on bikes at first to keep them busy and slow them down until the guys in cars show up. eventually i'll put them up against something similar to what they're in now. maybe if i'm feeling evil i'll send in the star.
Catsnightmare
If you're willing to house rule on the fly, you might try using the old 2nd edition rule where half of the Armor in dice is added to the vehicle's Body test for resisting damage. It might help some with that nasty all-or-nothing vehicle damage annoyance.
Kagetenshi
What level of VCR? As for opposition, I really meant "what will they be armed with". A guy on a bike can have anything from a piece of rebar to a sidecar-mounted ATGM (and likewise, the Star can be anything from a squad car with a shotgun in the back to assault helos and APCs).

~J
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Beside the van, the only stylish choice would be a black stretch limo, of course with a skylight.

What? Not a stretch Hum-Vee? (Yes, I've seen one rolling around my city on more than one occasion.)
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (child of insanity)
they have a rigger, a sniper adept, gunbunny adept, a tank and a shaman. i'm going to be throwing some guys on bikes at first to keep them busy and slow them down until the guys in cars show up. eventually i'll put them up against something similar to what they're in now. maybe if i'm feeling evil i'll send in the star.

...arm a couple of the bikes with rear firing GLs & have them pull ahead of the van.

My former rigger Dynamo Jo had this mod made to her Blitzen & it worked quite well in pursuit situations. Even if it just blows holes in the road it can be enough to force a coupe of extra handling tests (with modifiers for rough terrain of course).
KarmaInferno
You'll want to get a hold of a tanker truck for this. Weld all sorts of spikes and plates to the outside, and the opposing force should be in jury-rigged patched together off-road vehicles.

Bulldog Step-Van (at chargen)

GMC MPUV (after the Avail cap is lifted)
child of insanity
smgs more than likely with the bikes, and assault rifles in teh cars.
and the gmc mpuv is availablity 3.
and i liked 2nd edition rules, but don't have my books with me. they're in canada. i'm in oz. grr.... but i do like that rule. cause a car really should be able to soak a bit of damage...
Trax
In the Rigger 3 errata, the MPUV is supposed to be at 13.
Dog
QUOTE (Shrike30)
One of the all-important questions my group had to ask (more than once) was "Okay, was the shaman in the front seat or the back seat of the van?"

Cuz, you know, when you've driven the van through a plate glass window into the foyer of a building, it's kind of important to know which domain he's in when it comes time to whip up a spirit ork.gif

Now, where did I read that before?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012