Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Pain Avenue
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Fresno Bob
This is the OOC thread for the game I randomly decided would be named Pain Avenue.

I'm going to steal all the posting rules from Vegas's game, for this game. For those too lazy to go there, I'm shamelessly copy and pasting them. But not the formatting.

Posting style
Very basic stuff, but so we're all on the same page:
* Italicize internal monologues/characters' thoughts.
* Player character/key NPC names in Bold.
* Time/date stamp at head of post in violet. Format: Sunday, 01/01/2070 00:00:00 - Location below in bold.
* "Regular quote marks around dialogue."
* Please keep spoilers and signatures OUT of the IC threads and don't link to rolls made. Makes for easier reading.

Dice
* Rolls will be made on the honour system using online rollers, or by tossing some of your very own 6-siders in front of you.
* (I'm shamelessly stealing this from Hitting Bottom, because I think it makes sense) As a general rule, if you think you need a die roll but aren't sure or don't know what to roll or exactly what modifiers to use, GO AHEAD AND MAKE/POST THE ROLL. Asking me what to roll and waiting for my reply and then rolling costs us a day of real time.
* Make your best guess, explain what it is, and then post the numbers from left to right IN THE ORDER ROLLED. That way, if I assign additional modifiers, I can lop rolls off starting from the right, and if I assign a bonus, I can roll it myself and tack the results onto the right-hand end.

Go ahead and do character introductions and figure out how the team works and whatnot. The IC will start in a bit.
Critias
Billy Shen's a mid-twentiesish elf rumored to have Triad connections, despite his half-Anglo parentage. He's lanky, almost gangly, and pretty much always seen in the same old suit (the truth is he has several of the same cut), smoking mint flavored, tooth-whitening, cigarettes. He's something of a pretty boy, but of the carelessly confident variety rather than the sort that primps and works at it; he's almost impossible not to like, in person (Kinesics helps with that, I'm sure), despite being somewhat impatient and impulsive.

If all his talking doesn't work, he's known to be quite handy with his fists and feet (a practitioner of Jeet Kun Do), better than most with a street bike (he got started, years ago, as a two-bit smuggler), and with his pair of two-tone Kimber-Morissey 1911's (stats as Colt Manhunters). When the shit hits the fan, he's not too shabby with a pump-action, either.

So...well...there ya go. He can fill one of several niches, pretty well. He's maybe not as hard-core connected as a dedicated Face, can't take a hit (though he can dish them out) as well as a dermal-plated sammie, doesn't quite have a super high-tech assault rifle to whip out, etc, etc... but he's still a handy fella to have around, both in and out of a fight.
Thanee
Aeryn, Elven Street Shaman

Aeryn is a beautiful elven woman in her mid-twenties. She is a little below average height (1.68m or 5ft.6in.) with a slender and willowy figure. Her waist-length raven-black hair is worn open, with a few strands braided together into three thin braids, two of which are framing her fine-featured face, while a raven's feather is bound into the third braid running down her back. Her eyes are emerald green, but most of the time they are behind orange-colored sunglasses. Aeryn usually wears black biking leathers, which tightly fit her figure, and a loose-fitting leather jacket on top. She wears two mentionable pieces of jewelry, a silver necklace with an obsidian pendant, shaped like an upside-down cone, and a bracelet with a number of shamanistic symbols engraved in it, representing all aspects of nature. Most of her fetishes, a number of crystals representing the various aspects of nature apart from the raven's feather in her hair, are attached to the inside of her jacket, and there are a number of small pouches on her belt, which contain her other equipment. Aeryn often wears a simple black cap.
G.NOME
Spec is a rather hard-looking bald human who looks to be in his late-thirties to early-forties. His head has several scars on it which he doesn't bother to conceal. He stands about 1.9 meters tall, has green eyes and dresses in plain, drab clothing. He wears his lined coat almost everywhere.

"Hard looking" in this case describes a special breed of person - someone who's literally been through hell and lived to tell the tale. Despite his bulky and muscular frame, he possesses a quietness to him that others find almost... unnerving, sometimes. When you look him in the eyes you can see serenity on the surface and underneath something that could only be described as a very cold, almost emotionless resolve. He has obviously been through a lot.

That having been said, he's really a very nice person (almost fatherly, in character) when relating to the other team members.

He's fairly "new" to shadowrunning... in the sense that he doesn't have much of a street rep and seems to be a bit of an enigma to people "in the know" - his existence only dates back a few months. He seems to know a lot about military-style tactics and heavy weapons.
DireRadiant
Chiller

Average size for an Ork, he's in obvious decent shape, the wide shoulders, relatively narrow hips, and muscular limbs immediately revealed when he moves, even under the typical black retro style suit and tie. He wears his dark hair typically close cropped. The light grey eyes contrast with the olive brown complexion of his skin. One of his tusks has been replaced with a fully transparent glazed ceramic, making it look like he's sucking on a large ice cube when he reveals his full set of teeth. Most of the time he moves slowly, carefully scanning the surroundings with motions of his head, keeping his hands still.

He's obviously a full grown orc, but relatively young otherwise. Most of the time he's pretty quiet, deliberately hanging in the background, until it's time to move and fight. He's known to work as a bodyguard and general muscle in the entertainment industry circles, though he doesn't take much interest in it otherwise.
Vegas
Halo

Once a street kid, always a street kid. She was a "mistake" of her parents, but still loved and wanted by both of them. Parents were killed in an accident while she was young and she grew up under the "care" of her older brothers. That made her somewhat of a tomboy with a "angelic and likeable" face. Because she grew up mostly unsupervised she learned at an early age how to get what she wanted with out having to pay for it by either conning or 5-finger discounting her way through life. Raced cars and mostly bikes with her older brothers (all at least 9-10 years older than her) so she's got a love for fast machines. She’s always been connected to some type of street gang or group growing up to try to replace the feeling of family that she lost. Considers the group of smugglers she currently runs with her "family." She's got a slick tongue and fast hands. She runs hot and cold, she can be your best friend one moment and standoffish the next. She's always got the backs of her family or her crew however. She uses her "sensuality" as a way to get want she wants/needs but is hard-pressed to get truly close to someone of the opposite sex.

She's a tall and lithe figure, dirty blonde hair is slightly wavy and down to the middle of her back. She tends to dress tomboy-sexy. If she’s not found in her street racing leathers, it’s ripped baggy jeans and tank-tops with her signature leather jacket and it's "Halo" tag on the back (Signature wings, silver halo between them, no text). Well-worn combat boots are usually on her feet. She's got a medium/tan cast to her skin, a tribute to her Latino heritage. She's usually dressed for street racing, boots, leathers, helmet. Her hair is usually pulled back or piled up inside her helmet. She only takes it off after she's whipped the crap out of some poor guy to add insult to injury that he got taken by a girl. She makes a point of showing off her visible tattoos, hardly ever doing anything to cover them up, except for the one on her hip, very few people have ever seen that one save for the artist that tattooed her.
DireRadiant
Team members have previous experience with each other? If so then I need to bump the info in the introductory post.

I hope some of you have a Hacker/TM contact we can use.
Thanee
Aeryn doesn't know anything about computers or anyone who does. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Critias
Billy's, uhh, got a nice commlink. Does that count?
G.NOME
Spec hacked a computer once... with a knife....

Should we roll for resources?

If not, ignore spoiler.

[ Spoiler ]

Previous experience isn't likely with Spec unless your characters have military or mercenary contacts. Of course, he still does have a "Corp Fixer" contact that could've hooked them up.
Thanee
It appears like we are assumed to know each other, so that probably happened in the past already. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Voorhees, you missed the closing color-tag [ /color ] for León's last message. wink.gif
Fresno Bob
Ah, thanks. Oh, in case it wasn't apparent, you won't need to dress up or anything. Nightclubs... generally aren't open at 4 in the afternoon.
Critias
That was a fun post to make up. Hope no one minds the length.
Thanee
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Nightclubs... generally aren't open at 4 in the afternoon.

Heh. I was already wondering about the time...

Bye
Thanee
Critias
Sweet post, G.
Fresno Bob
Yeah, mad props for that.

Good work so far, everyone. Is there anything anyone wants to get done before the meet, or can it be fastforwarded?
Critias
I'm fine with a fast forward.
Thanee
Just move on... I probably won't be able to post much until tomorrow, anyways.

Bye
Thanee
DireRadiant
ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz till meet
G.NOME
Thanks, guys. I enjoyed all of yours, as well.
G.NOME
Fast-forward is okay.

Do you want our standard load-outs on gear, info about our commlink state, etc.?
Vegas
I'm all for the fast forwarding to the meet
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (G.NOME)
Fast-forward is okay.

Do you want our standard load-outs on gear, info about our commlink state, etc.?

That would be acceptable.
G.NOME
Ok, quick question, then. I know you can't mix ammo types in the same clip for firearms, but is this acceptable for grenade launchers, like the Ares Antioch-2?

I'm assuming the Antioch looks something like this in other words. Would I be able to specify what kind of minigrenades it's loaded with, and in what chamber?
Fresno Bob
Uh... sure?
G.NOME
biggrin.gif

Spec

Daily Gear:
[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
At least you can mix tracer rounds. wink.gif

Tracer Rounds: Tracer ammo burns “tracers” along the line of flight, making it easier for the shooter to home in on the target. Th is type of ammunition can only be used in fullauto weapons and are actually loaded as every third round in a clip. This is an exception to the restriction of one type of ammunition to a clip.

As for the equipment... Aeryn usually has pretty much her full equipment on her (except for the stuff that makes no sense to carry around, like a shamanic lodge biggrin.gif).

Bye
Thanee
G.NOME
Hey GM, I'm not sure if this calls for a Perception test (or what the modifiers would be) but I'll roll for it anyway, just in case.

Perception 3 + Intuition 3

5 3 5 3 3 3
DireRadiant
Chiller did not bring his shotgun, nor is he wearing his armor jacket. Otherwise the rest of his gear he is carrying with him.
Critias
Whoops, just noticed the "post your gear" stuff. Billy's got pretty much all his stuff but his shottie and his Middle Lifestyle with him. Skinny guy, big longcoat, lots of palm-sized gear.
Vegas
Sorry I missed the "post your gear" stuff too..

Gear: Ares Pred IV (Loaded with Stick N' Shock)
Leather Jacket
Bike Helmet
Commlink
Antidote Patch
Trauma Patch
Biomonitor
Medkit (currently stashed in her bike)

Oh and a Perception Roll to get a better "look" at Leon and his associate.
CODE
INT (4) + PERCEPTION (2) = 6 dice
[6] [5] 3 [6] [6] 1 Hits:4

Fresno Bob
G.NOME - You can't make out their conversation because they appear to be conversing in French.

Vegas - They're men... in suits.
Critias
Whew. 4 hits, and you just get "yup, guys in suits." I guess we know they're not packing, at least. wink.gif
Fresno Bob
Oh, well they have pistols. I figured that was a given.
Critias
I wouldn't exactly call that a "given." In fact, I'd say it's just exactly the sort of detail most of us are after, when we make Perception rolls. But, well, maybe I'm just used to a different GMing style.
G.NOME
Eeek.

Oh yeah, Spec's GPS, medical supplies, survival kit, and commo gear are in the trunk of his car. Along with the HK227, suppressor, and the two clips. He's using his Metalink w/ the fake SIN right now and for all shadow transactions. His weapons are skinlinked with the headware comlink.

Oh, and he's got his shock gloves secured to the inside of his coat.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Critias)
I wouldn't exactly call that a "given." In fact, I'd say it's just exactly the sort of detail most of us are after, when we make Perception rolls. But, well, maybe I'm just used to a different GMing style.

Sorry, I usually don't take into account things that aren't going to come up.
G.NOME
I bet Critias is going to start a fight now, just 'cause....
Fresno Bob
Well, he's always welcome to leave if my GM style offends him.
Critias
Uhm, what?

All I said was "golly, maybe weapons are what people might be looking for, when they say they're looking at someone in a Shadowrun game." Whether the GM plans on it coming up or not, that's the sort of thing I imagine professional criminals are in the habit of looking for. I never said your style offended me, I never said I was gonna drop the game, I'm certainly not planning on starting a fight IC, I, in fact, made a point of trying not to offend in my last post, by just chalking it up to different expectations.

Can we move past this, now? Maybe see some IC instead of OOC posts?
Fresno Bob
Alright. I'm sorry that because they weren't planning on shooting at you, I didn't mention off the bat that they were armed. Rest assured, that if anyone in the game who plans on trying to gun you down, has a perception check aimed at them, it will find anything that could be used to shoot at you.

Oh, also, if you're tired of typing out/copy+pasting Friday, January 10th, 2070, feel free to use the mm/dd/yyyy format instead.
DireRadiant
Old characters never die... they just get to star in re(shadow)runs!
Thanee
Assensing test for Aziz (mostly interested in his general emotional state, concerning the coffee thing and so on).

[ Spoiler ]

Fresno Bob
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Sep 6 2006, 04:52 AM)
Old characters never die... they just get to star in re(shadow)runs!

Funny part is, I was planning on using him in the game even if no former 410 players had joined. Just a happy coincedence.

And, the assensing test. He's healthy and happy, he has alphaware in his head and chest, his essence and magic are lower than yours, aaaaaaand thats it. Unless I'm forgetting something about assensing.
G.NOME
Just joking, Critias. No harm intended.
Fresno Bob
Yeah, after a night's sleep and a day to think about it, I decided I was kind of out of line with a comment or two. Sorry, Critias.
Critias
S'all good.
Critias
What's the point in being the Face if you don't at least try to get a little extra cash every now and then? Behold: my first ever Fourth Edition IC die roll. Second post at this link, access the die roll by clicking the little 2.

I don't have access to any other on-line die rollers, so I'll be using Shadowland's. It automatically rerolls and adds 6's, but that can just be ignored. As mentioned in the die roll itself, I tacked on the two dice at the end for First Impression -- I'm not sure, OOC, if it's meant to be a two-die bonus to all interactions during the first time you meet someone, or not. If they're not appropriate, apologies, but I figured better safe than robbing-myself-of-two-dice. smile.gif
Thanee
http://www.invisiblecastle.com is a pretty good and simple online dice roller.

For SR it's best to have number of rolls at 1 and the dice at 10d6 (or whatever the number is).

Bye
Thanee
G.NOME
heads up: my gf's in town, might not get to post too much the next two days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012