Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is a good price for a horse?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WhiskeyMac
I have a character concept in mind that has a horse as a pet/companion/means of transportation. It is probably a quarterhorse or maybe a draft horse, unsure at this point. Maybe even a paint or appaloosa. I just need to know what a good price for a horse would be? Maybe extrapolating from current prices a little but I have no clue right now.

What do you guys think would be a good price range?
Crusher Bob
My google-fu suggests ~5K for a 3-6 year old horse of reasonable quality and 10K+ for an excellent horse.
Crusher Bob
Your main worry is probably going to be the horses upkeep cost, not the actual purchase cost of the horse. The upkeep on the horse is probably something like low lifestyle by itself (1000Y/month).
Llewelyn
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Your main worry is probably going to be the horses upkeep cost, not the actual purchase cost of the horse. The upkeep on the horse is probably something like low lifestyle by itself (1000Y/month).

This will depend extremely on where you live. If you have pasture land available then it wouldn't be bad at all. If you live in the city well then it will be a lot more. So from next to nothing to 1000 a month for up keep.
Thanee
And... with a low lifestyle... you won't actually have room for a horse. wink.gif

You will either have to live out on the countryside, or at middle (or even high) lifestyle.

Bye
Thanee
Brahm
I think he ment a Low lifestyle by itself, separate from the character's lifestyle.
Thanee
Yes, I know. Wasn't replying to that 'low lifestyle' specifically, but rather to the assumption, that most characters probably have a low lifestyle in SR4. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Ancient History
A horse is worth several times its own weight in krillburgers.
Schaeffer
I wouldn't charge them specifically for the horse. I'd just increase the monthly cost of the character's lifestyle, and require it to begin at least at a Middle level. An increase of nuyen.gif 1000 would work, I think.
Butterblume
I wanted to make a witticism about horses and sauerbraten, but frankly, I can't think of one. Oh, well.
eidolon
QUOTE (Schaeffer)
I wouldn't charge them specifically for the horse. I'd just increase the monthly cost of the character's lifestyle, and require it to begin at least at a Middle level. An increase of nuyen.gif 1000 would work, I think.

So they'd get a free horse? Why do you suggest that?

Can I have a free Eurocar Westwind for a low monthly increase of fifty bucks?
Thanee
Sorry, leasing rates are a little higher for the Westwind, but we can give you a Dodge Scoot for 50¥/mth.

But seriously, doesn't lifestyle actually say something about cars once you get to a certain level?

Bye
Thanee
Schaeffer
<shrug> Personal vehicles don't last long in our games.

As for a free horse, I doubt it's a game-breaker (unless it's a reall bad-assed horse) and is really only for flavor it seems, so why worry about the cost? Just write it in and move on. If the horse, for some reason, was actually more important than that, coming up with an actual cost would be necessary.

Of course every GM is different. That's just the way it would be handled in my games.

As for a free Eurocar, our team is leaving Seattle (for their own good), and I'm sure someone has one parked in a garage somewhere. Just make sure the opposition didn't boobytrap it first...

By the same token, check the free horse too, just to be sure...
Tiger Eyes
For a good quality Quarter horse (assuming good bloodlines, training, yadayadayada) you'd probably want to plunk down $15,000. We sell new babies (arab-quarter cross, similiar price ranges) for $5000 - $10,000. That'd be for regional show quality or even a good, competitive trail horse. A 'pet' quality (mongrel, enough training not to buck you off, wouldn't take it on a road, probably an older horse with several bad habits) could start at $1,500.

Most people board and in Portland, that means $1,000/month for fancy barns close in the city or show barns to about $300 per month for barns in the countryside (20-30 minute drive from most suburbs). Living in some pasture is generally around $100 per month, but you really need someplace inside to ride around here. Unless you really like the rain.

I'd say that in 2070 boarding facilities are a lot more rare. So are horses, for that matter. So I'd think you'd spend a bit more, especially for boarding, since you'd want to keep out those people looking for a free meal. eek.gif
Geekkake
QUOTE (Schaeffer)
By the same token, check the free horse too, just to be sure...

But not in the mouth.
WhiskeyMac
I was thinking along the lines of a 3-5 year old quarterhorse mostly for flavor but something that could be used for labor, i.e. like it worked on a farm. I'm not really into showing horses or using it as a main means of transportation, just a nice way to unwind after a job. Something like that.

I bought myself a middle lifestyle in Snohomish and figured that bought me a low lifestyle apartment across the street (or a few miles away) from the stables where I keep the horse. My cost is 2k for the apartment per month, his is 3k per month. I was thinking something along 5k for the horse initially. After that it's just the 5k lifestyle cost.

I picked Snohomish because New Seattle (don't have Runner Havens yet) states that Snohomish is mostly agri-corp and pasture land. What do you think?
Tiger Eyes
Well, if you're going for realism (in your make-believe game biggrin.gif ) then I'd say pick a 5 year old QH, say its had 2 years under saddle so it's pretty well trained and a bit more mellow. Currently, horses aren't really used much on farms for labor. Even ranches these days rely on horses less and less (and ATVs more and more). Most people in and around cities have horses for pets or to show. $5,000 for a pet horse is a fair price.

And although I haven't read Runners Havens yet either, Snohomish has always been 'rural' in past editions. That's the most sensible place for a stable IMO. Say it's a stable a few miles out of a smaller town, since there aren't many apartment complexes built next to horse barns. wink.gif

As a secondary note to your very cool horse hobby, you could potentially pick up some good contacts at your stable. Most of our clients are middle-aged executives/doctors/sucessful professionals who either A) finally bought themselves that horse their parents never gave them or B) have horse-crazy kids. And people are (in my experience) very friendly at stables. After all, they won't see your bad shadowrunner side. They'll see that nice man/woman who always has a few extra peppermints for all the horses in the barn.

apollo124
"And if wishes was horses, we'd all be eatin' steak."
Crusher Bob
Nail that regenerating paracritter to the cutting board and it's steak ever night!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012