Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Space Requirements for vehicles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Rajaat99
I've had the book awhile, but never designed a vehicle to store another vehicle. I'm designing a yacht and wanted to have it able to carry a couple Jet Ski's (Body 2). It would use 360 CF per jet ski. Is it just me, or does this seem a bit much?
SirKodiak
QUOTE (Rajaat99)
I've had the book awhile, but never designed a vehicle to store another vehicle. I'm designing a yacht and wanted to have it able to carry a couple Jet Ski's (Body 2). It would use 360 CF per jet ski. Is it just me, or does this seem a bit much?

It may be a little high, but it's going to depend a lot on the particular jet ski and on how you want it stored. Stacking them in crates in the corner as efficiently as possible is going to take up less space than having them some place mounted for easy deployment.

But if, it was me, I'd probably put the jet skis themselves at 150 cubic feet each (based on some sampling I just did online), with extra space taken up as warranted depending on how you're storing them.

Are you looking for the yacht to be able to take you to an island where you then unpack and set up the jet skis for later use, or are you looking for some Waterworld thing where they come flying out of the yacht at high speed to steal Kevin Costner's tomato plant?
Kagetenshi
Eh? How are you getting that? My calculations say 7 CF.

The CF requirements for a vehicle are horribly broken at anything past Body 2 (and Body 2 itself is iffy). Try taking a stock Heavy Transport and calculate how many Heavy Transports of the exact same type you can fit inside it. I'll give you a hint and say the answer is greater than one.

~J
Homme-qui-rigole
QUOTE (SirKodiak)
Are you looking for the yacht to be able to take you to an island where you then unpack and set up the jet skis for later use, or are you looking for some Waterworld thing where they come flying out of the yacht at high speed to steal Kevin Costner's tomato plant?

Hummmm.... Which skill did you use for stealing tomato plant from a waterjet? Stealth? Unarmed combat? Motorboat? or Botany?
Rajaat99
QUOTE (SirKodiak @ Sep 3 2006, 04:22 PM)

I see your point. I was looking at just storing them, but I suppose if I was looking to quickly launch them to steal Kevin Costner's tomato plant, it would take up much more space. Good point.

Eh? How are you getting that? My calculations say 7 CF.

To store a water/ground vehicle, the formula is (45 x Body^3) per vehicle.
So, a jet ski has a body of 2. 2^3 = 8. 8 x 45= 360.

"^" is to the power of. So, 2^3, is 2 to the 3rd power, or 2 x 2 x 2. I don't want to be-little anyone with my explanation, I just don't know how old everyone is. Or how good their math skills are.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Rajaat99)

What page? The only formula I've found for storage is page 62 of R3, (Body+1.5)*Body rounded down.

~J
ronin3338
We always just fudged it if the numbers looked too wonky.

A CF was 1/2m square, IIRC, so I figure a jet ski, with the control yoke folded down (or the bike type) would take about somewhere areound 16 CF to store (4 long, 2 wide, 2 high), and about 32 to accomodate a human sized person on them (4 long, 2 wide, 4 high). Add ramp/deployment space as needed.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Rajaat99 @ Sep 4 2006, 10:06 AM)

What page? The only formula I've found for storage is page 62 of R3, (Body+1.5)*Body rounded down.

~J

Page 120 R3.
Kagetenshi
That's peoplespace for a workshop or facility to perform repairs and upgrades on the given vehicle type, not storage space for the vehicle. See below the chart.

~J
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That's peoplespace for a workshop or facility to perform repairs and upgrades on the given vehicle type, not storage space for the vehicle. See below the chart.

~J

Yeah, but page 62 is for drones. I guess there is no storage for real vehicles.
Maybe we need an official word.
Hey Adam, or Bull, or anyone else, if you still care about SR3 players, you wanna help us out?
Kagetenshi
And the difference between a drone and a "real vehicle" is?

If you've got an answer other than "remote-control adaptation", I'd like to hear it.

~J
Fix-it
yeah, I like to convert cars and motorcycles to drone control. cheap, innocuous, and (after some modifications) armed to the teeth.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
And the difference between a drone and a "real vehicle" is?

If you've got an answer other than "remote-control adaptation", I'd like to hear it.

~J

Geez, Kagetenshi, why do you have to be such an ass when we're having a civil conversation?
And to answer your question, check out page 204 R3, under the heading Drones. That's what I mean.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Rajaat99)
Geez, Kagetenshi, why do you have to be such an ass when we're having a civil conversation?

It's in my nature. Plus I've had this discussion a bunch of times.

And to answer your question, check out page 204 R3, under the heading Drones. That's what I mean.

SR3 p154: "Nearly any kind of vehicle—matchbox-sized cars, dwarf-sized rotorcraft, ground patrol vehicles the size of a large dog, even modified sports cars—may serve as drones."

~J
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Rajaat99 @ Sep 6 2006, 08:47 PM)

It's in my nature. Plus I've had this discussion a bunch of times.

SR3 p154: "Nearly any kind of vehicle—matchbox-sized cars, dwarf-sized rotorcraft, ground patrol vehicles the size of a large dog, even modified sports cars—may serve as drones."

~J

Fair enough.
May serve as drones, but they aren't drones. Well, not exactly.
Anyway, that would make absolutely no sense at all for the storage requirements.
I'll just stick with the 360 CF and assume that the jet ski's are planning on stealing Kevin Costner's tomato plant.
Kagetenshi
Well yeah, you're right that it makes absolutely no sense smile.gif but even the chassis… um… however you pluralize that word on P204 go up big enough that the listed guideline makes no sense past Body 2 or so, so we need a better solution regardless.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to put one together myself. I've just been using the guideline of "things should not fit entirely inside other identical things".

~J
Dog
It gets to a point where you just have to visualize it. Kinda like when you consider that a "facility" for a motorcycle and one for a ship are, canon-wise, identical.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Dog)
It gets to a point where you just have to visualize it. Kinda like when you consider that a "facility" for a motorcycle and one for a ship are, canon-wise, identical.

Good point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012