Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Spirit Powers and the Old Spirits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hutchman
Am I the only one that wishes that the "new" spirit powers were available for the "old" spirits, you know, the "old" spirits as listed in the SR4 BBB?

The opening sentence for the new spirit powers in Street magic starts off okay -
The powers listed here are in addition to the normal critter and spirit powers found on pp. 286–291, SR4.

"YAY!" Says I, as I eagerly continue to read. But something is missing. While Engulf has some interesting new twists, and clearly can be taken as an update on the older Engulf from the BBB, there simply is no correlation for these new powers and the original spirits. Which original spirits have access to which of these fine and useful new powers?

So are these new spirit powers only available to the new spirits and those are only conjurable by the new mages following the new traditions? Was this intentional, or just an oversight?

How do you guys handle it, if at all?
Slithery D
The new spirits also don't get access to some of the spirits available to the core spirits.

The Guardian, for example, is most comparable to Beast. Beast gets the option of Confusion, Noxious Breath, Search, Venom and has better senses. The Guardian can pick up a combat skill (if the weapon is handy), Magical Guard to provide counterspelling (if it's maintaining LOS and not attacking anyone on your behalf, and if most of the dice are wasted due to teamwork rules), Elemental Attack, and Psychokinesis.

The Beast does more melee damage (Venom) and can stun them with NB at short ranges. The Guardian is better at ranged combat and is more resistant to magic against itself, but that's really about the only difference. I've usually got better things for a spirit to do in a fight than just watch friendlies and provide spell defense.

Guidance has pretty much all the soft influence/utility/stealth powers Man has. But it doesn't have Innate Spell and instead gets Engulf, which isn't a terrible combat power but Fire/Water/Air with Energy Aura do it much better. Is Divination really that useful? Well, it depends on your GM. But why not just find and pay someone with the Metamagic through a contact? Is secrecy alway that importan? Ask your questions vaguely. As for Magical Guard, I once again suggest that it's greatest utility is in protecting the spirit itself while it attacks...which Guardians are relatively poor at. Shadowcloak makes Concealment even better against visual detection in certain light conditions. Well...ok. It's better than a poke in the eye.

Plant: Utility powers, another weak Engulf, Magical Guard (see above), Noxious Breath (underrated and widespread, but noteworthy in an offensive capacity), and...Silence. Which while nice for stealth operations, replicates a spell you can learn. As it's sole unique ability, it does not overwhelm.

Task: It's all about the Technical/Physical skills. Very nice, I'll admit, but the only three traditions that can use it are Possessory, which limits it significantly. And it's a one trick pony; besides Influence, it's got little of use on the utility side (and Influence costs you a Skill power) and the worst combat ability of all spirits. Do you bind a Task spirit with preset skills you may or may not need in the heat of the moment? Or summon one to spec and forgo having any Concealment, Guard, or offensive ability?

I'm not particularly jealous of any of this stuff except Task for certain eccentric character concepts. I think they're exceptionally well balanced. Yes, if you want to be free to run around like crazy tossing spells and not keep LOS on your team for spell defense, let you Guardian/Plant/Guidance take that over. But I'd rather have the guy with immunity to weapons on the frontlines while I hang back and handle that job, thanks.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Hutchman)
So are these new spirit powers only available to the new spirits and those are only conjurable by the new mages following the new traditions? Was this intentional, or just an oversight?

They're only available to the new spirits and that's clearly intentional; the part you quote is either superflous (duh, they're in addition) or a poorly worded way to say "go look at SR4 for any powers you see in the new spirit descriptions not in this new powers section."

If you think the new stuff is great, start a new character with an appropriate tradition.
knasser

Definitely not available only to magicians following the new traditions. The only overlap between the new and old list that I see is the Engulf power and the Energy Drain power. In both cases, it looks to me as though these are both merely clarifications of the original definition in SR4.

As to "old" spirits getting some of the new powers, I would say definitely no. Many of the new powers do have spirits that use them (I haven't the time to check each power), but these aren't the normally summonable types. E.g. If you're wondering who has the Desire Reflection power, it's the Succubus type of Shadow spirit under the Threats section. I think they're all together because it simply makes a great deal more sense for them to be gathered in one place.
Cabral
Also the Harrow (Toxic Spirit of Man) gets Desire reflection ... I was so hoping there was some way to get it for a Mambo of Eruzle (sp?)
Cold-Dragon
So, they list all these new powers, some of which wouldn' hurt a old spirit to have, but some that are obviously deadly and what you see on paracritters or super spirits, then they tell you: 'oh! here's some new powers!'.

You'd think they'd at least give you a few, rather than tease you with them, heh. Ah well. At least I know why I will never get endowment from one of my spirits (probably best anyways).

Guess I'll just have to find a way to bind a spirit I don't summon! *cackles*
Cabral
A few of the new powers (ie, Quake and Storm) can be granted to old BBB spirits via Invoking.
Cold-Dragon
Aye, but invoking involves going 'I want to drug up my spirit and watch it enjoy the buzz'.

Fraid what would happen if you use a orgasm spell on one of those.

And I don't believe in the invoke/ally spirit mix, because your tradition doesn't give you the super powers: the metamagic gives them to you AFTER you make the spirit when you do another check (or so I think it was. I guess I should re-read it first).

....although, I can apparently get a couple of the new powers with invoking if I bind a spirit, heh. Go figure. good price tag though, makes me hesitate.
Hutchman
It just strikes me as a little bit odd that these new rules would not be backwards compatible. I'm not saying all the new powers should be available to every old spirit. But the new spirits have access to some of the original spirit powers, and some of the new spirit powers, such as Realistic Form, are certainly not game unbalancing if it were made available to a Spirit of Man. In fact one could argue that such a power is perfectly reasonable.

My only point is that it seems like a small oversight that at least some these new powers are not available to the BBB spirits, and certainly not one that will destroy anyones enjoyment of the game either way.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Hutchman)
It just strikes me as a little bit odd that these new rules would not be backwards compatible. I'm not saying all the new powers should be available to every old spirit. But the new spirits have access to some of the original spirit powers, and some of the new spirit powers, such as Realistic Form, are certainly not game unbalancing if it were made available to a Spirit of Man. In fact one could argue that such a power is perfectly reasonable.

My only point is that it seems like a small oversight that at least some these new powers are not available to the BBB spirits, and certainly not one that will destroy anyones enjoyment of the game either way.

It's not at all an oversight that BBB spirits can't have Shadow Cloak, Silence, or Divining. How many of the ten spirit types get these powers? One each. How many of the ten spirit types get Innate Spell, Venom, or Weather Control? One each. How many of the ten spirit types get Magical Guard? Three. How many of the ten spirit types get Animal Control? Two. Influence? Three.

The BBB spirits don't get these new powers because they do not fit the concept and role of those basic spirits. The SM designers didn't invent new powers and then randomly distribute them among some new spirit types. They invented some new spirit types and then designed some powers that fit the role those spirits play and make them unique. It's no more a crime that a Spirit of Man can't have Magical Guard or Divining than it is a Task spirit can't control the weather or poison someone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012