Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overcasting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
2bit
Force 9 shattershield: drain DV 1

I'm not against a limited-target touch-range mana spell having a drain DV of 1, but I am against overcasting it so high without additional risk, especially when Force equates directly to damage.

Were there any published suggestions for making overcasting more risky that I missed? I was thinking +1DV per Force point over Magic rating.
Samaels Ghost
It usually is a problem to overcast. I think this is more a problem for this spell and spells like Knockout and Death touch rather than a problem with the Drain system as a whole
Thanee
I'm with you there... overcasting is clearly too easy with the low drain spells.

Your proposal doesn't sound too bad, it's surely worth a thought.

Also, there is still the weird effect, that physical drain is often actually less damaging than stun drain, because of the easier ways to heal it.

In older editions, I had usually given drain twice for overcasting (or other sources of physical drain), once physical and once stun, but that obviously doesn't really help much with 1 DV drain. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Metasigil
If you're so annoyed about Shattershield that you're considering making all casting more deadly, just disallow Shatterspell in games you run. There's no need to make everything worse. If you're actually concerned about overcasting in general being too powerful, that's something else. Something to keep in mind is that apparently, Physical Drain cannot be healed with magic. This is not stated in the BBB, but Street Magic assumes it to be the case and it has been confirmed that it will be in the FAQ when it finally does come out. I know when I first saw that I immediately started to pray that my GM wouldn't. He did. There goes my First-aid and Heal fueled rampage of Overcast Manaballs.
James McMurray
If it has a DV of 1 at force 9 it can't do a heck of a lot. What exactly does Shattershield do?
Moon-Hawk
It obliterates wards, in such a way as to immediately alert their creator and thus an appropriate security response.
It owns wards in the same way that plastic explosives own walls, and with approximately equal degrees of subtlety.
Kremlin KOA
Note to self, Hire wiz kid mage gangs with shattershield to provide distractions for BIG runs where security is provided by knight errant
James McMurray
Ah, then I don't see a problem with the spell. If the campaign is more mercenary in nature, meaning subtlety is not necessary, then the spell may be too much.
Samaels Ghost
You're still leaving a thick astral signature behind right by where a mage or his spirit is gonna be checking in a few moments. Plus, if YOU get Assensed then there's going to be Symbolic links made. That enough reason to be subtle, even if your mission doesn't require it.
James McMurray
That's why I said "campaign" not "mission." smile.gif
Cold-Dragon
on a side note, the SM section says drain, which in general refers to stun drain when mentioned. If it were referring to physical drain, both books have always (or else almost always) specifically stated 'physical drain' when it applies to physical damage.

the variant rule was to soften up on the no healing stun drain.

And also a good point about shatter shield: Force 9 will last quite awhile, you don't go leaving those around, even if you break the barrier (and I think it is actually mana barrier spell specific, so it's no good on wards???).
2bit
Right. Ridiculous combat spells like fireball are ridiculous to resist drain on whether overcast or not. I definitely liked it better though when you cast a Deadly mana bolt, you had to resist Deadly drain. Just this one aspect of combat spells seems broken to me. Stun Touch (metatype) (Indirect) is ungodly effective imo at (F/2) -3; For 1 DV drain, you've got a Force 9 spell with a base of 9 boxes of stun damage the target has to resist. You grant them half impact armor, but deny them the chance to resist completely. Extremeley good chance of KO even against targets with protection. With a bit of Karma under your belt, at Magic rating 7 you can bump that up to thirteen boxes for a paltry 3DV drain.

Another option: what if you apply the modifier before diving by 2? That would keep drain values from getting extreme in either direction.

it would turn a Force 1 Fireball (F/2)+5 into drain DV 3 instead of 6. Force 9 Fireball would be DV 7 instead of 9.

turn Force 9 Shattershield (F/2)-3 into drain DV3 instead of 1. Force 13 would be DV 5 instead of 3.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
You're still leaving a thick astral signature behind right by where a mage or his spirit is gonna be checking in a few moments. Plus, if YOU get Assensed then there's going to be Symbolic links made. That enough reason to be subtle, even if your mission doesn't require it.

Flexible Signature - if you fake another signature it adds your initiate grade to the threshold to see your true signature. I suppose they can call in an adept with max Intuition and Improved Assenssing, but... In any case, it's not obvious how much good knowing a signature does you. You can't broadcast it on the evening news, after all. At best you publicize a description ("sort of blue and yellow checkered, with a pink stripe") and hope someone else who sees a similar sig tips you off.

Really, how many people take Sympathetic Linking metamagic? How many of them are on hire as astral security? How many of them will take a SA to observe in detail and try to penetrate your masking? How many will succeed? This, at least, is no real threat at all.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
(and I think it is actually mana barrier spell specific, so it's no good on wards???).

"Mana barriers" in SR4 terms are all astral barriers such as magical lodges, wards, and that created by the actual Mana Barrier spell. The relevant section in the BBB is titled "Mana Barriers." Wards are a subheading of that.
Cold-Dragon
Okay then, the signature will tell a person off hand where you were when you blast it to bits *shrugs* and if they have a half decent assenser, they'll hunt you down and eat you.

If you do it too many times to someone, they will eventually hire a person who can do it so as to collect the insurance from your body.

James McMurray
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
the variant rule was to soften up on the no healing stun drain.

Not according to the authors. smile.gif
Cold-Dragon
*wishes the authors had more blatant ID so he can see when they make such corrections then* nyahnyah.gif So any drain cause by magic is meant to be resistant to healing if it's not natural 'wait for it to stop bleeding then?
Slithery D
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
Okay then, the signature will tell a person off hand where you were when you blast it to bits *shrugs* and if they have a half decent assenser, they'll hunt you down and eat you.

Hunt me down how? Signatures do not provide an astral link for tracking. They're just the equivalent of fingerprints, and fingerprints that cannot be recorded or technologically disseminated/compared. Yes, if you allow detailed descriptions of a signature to be useful to a mage who did not assense it themselves, then a detailed description might be passed around. And if a mage who heard the description and remembers it sees your signature and makes whatever test someone might invent to let him recognize it as what he heard, he can say "hey, that's the guy!"

Being identified later from signatures you've left behind is a problem, but only a small one. The more realistic one is going to be identifying a pattern or MO: they'll be able to say that "Subject X" did jobs A, B, and C, but that doesn't solve the problem of actually finding X, seeing his magic, and recognizing it as such.

And half decent assensser will almost never see through mid-level Initiate grade Flexible Signature. Outstanding adepts focused on that particular skill will. Sometimes.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (2bit)
Another option: what if you apply the modifier before diving by 2? That would keep drain values from getting extreme in either direction.

it would turn a Force 1 Fireball (F/2)+5 into drain DV 3 instead of 6. Force 9 Fireball would be DV 7 instead of 9.

turn Force 9 Shattershield (F/2)-3 into drain DV3 instead of 1. Force 13 would be DV 5 instead of 3.

I like that option alot
Slithery D
Having raised the Shattershield "panic," let me admit that it's hardly a problem in security setups that involve wards as simple warning devices that tell the roving astral response team where to go. It's a very big problem for areas that need ultra high astral security that are extremely valuable to destroy, but that can't afford to hire enough active mages/spirits to defend them.

Let's take, for example, a Japanese or UCAS supercarrier. Think an astrally projecting mage with a fire spirit in tow could do some damage if he got into the weapons magazine or the reactor spaces? Do you think it's worth it for an enemy terrorist organization to round up half a dozen or more mages to hit it at once? Do you think Japan or the UCAS can afford to have round the clock projecting mages/spirits that can not only defeat such a force but do so instantly, before a single fire spirit can manifest and blow most of the ship up or leave it dead in the water and a radiation hazard?

Of course not. You need high force wards that are too dangerous to be assaulted - reflecting wards. Take it as given that every government has a couple of Magic 10+ guys with Reflecting metamagic on retainer who do nothing but put up Force 10+ reflecting wards up around nuclear reactors, the Oval Office, the Pentagon, etc. If you've got one of those up, anyone attacking it is facing a very high risk of disruption (or death, if you switch them to physical damage, which I recommend to dissuade kamikaze terrorists who want to punch through and then use a metaplanar shortcut for their bound fire spirit and are willing to risk being knocked out and sent back to their body). See also Offensive Mana Barrier (SM pg. 174), which if quickened is actually superior on a damage and drain basis than Reflecting Wards, but is vulnerable to dispelling. [Edit - Ooooooo! Masking wards with an invisible Offensive Mana Barrier inside... Technically "contact," not an actual effort to penetrate it, is all that's required for the zap, but that's pretty cheap and probably not what they really meant. But darn...]

Good enough, now I don't have to assume the Huk's magical assets have already sunk every single Imperial Japanese supercarrier as part of their revolution, nor caused accidents in every nuclear power plant on the home islands. But Shattershield, alas, lets one destroy these uber pasive defenses with essentially no risk, the investment of 5 karma to learn the spell, and at most the time to recast it two or three times if the barrier gets some luck resistance rolls. Now we're back to every important target destroyed by motivated magical terrorist groups or something like 50% of the magician population employed as astral security to provide enough active defense that an astral hit and run is risky enough that a sustained campaign even by motivated people can't destroy society.
rangda
There is a very simple solution to this problem. Don't worry/care about other people's games, disallow the spell in yours (or if you want it for a npc or a pc wants it, make a castrated version).

This isn't a miniatures game played in a competitive environment where rules need to create a level playing field, it's a ruleset for a bunch of friends to hang out together and play. If something doesn't work don't use it.

This is not to say the discussion of the various effects, logic, game balance, and minutea aren't fun, it's to say don't get so caught up in it that you can't see the forest for the trees. smile.gif
Slithery D
Or analogize the kind of astral assaults I'm talking about to air warfare. Astrally projecting mages are fighter/bombers, and the spirit they "drop" into the physical world to do an assault are big bombs.

Standards wards are nothing more than radar telling you an attack is incoming so you can scramble your interceptors (more mages and spirits) to come and get them. That's fine if you've got enough interceptors to beat off an attack once they respond. But that's not always feasible. It's much cheaper to get together ten mages for a "raid" than it is to permanently have ten mages on a particular site to fight them off at parity.

Enter reflecting wards, which function as automated SAM systems with unlimited ammo. Now there's real risk to punching through to "bomb" with your elementals, even if you have "air superiority" in numbers. But the Shattershield spell easily does away with this, once again making astral offense the winner.

The real problem is that basic wards are shit in SR4. They don't damage you if you fail, and you can keep trying to press through until you finally succeed. A simple warning just isn't enough.

All of which has zero to do with overcasting, but...
Demerzel
A warding anchor can not move. If it moves the ward ends, so how is a supercarrier warded? Quickened Manabarrier type spells? Again I thought that these were not mobile...
Slithery D
We talked about that in another thread a couple of weeks back. The guy who wrote the SM wards section finally came around to the idea that you can make the frame of reference of your ward a car/plane/ship, so long as the physical anchor of the ward doesn't move in relation to the ward itself. A world without warded airplanes is a world with unlimited terrorist deathtraps. And a world without Reflection warded airplanes is a world with delayed unlimited terrorist deathtraps. You have to have mobile wards or you can't have public transportation.

I do agree that Mana Barrier spells should be less mobile that that; I certainly wouldn't let you make the caster the point of reference and let it move with him, so its hard to see how you could attach it to a car or ship, either.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Slithery D)
Enter reflecting wards, which function as automated SAM systems with unlimited ammo. Now there's real risk to punching through to "bomb" with your elementals, even if you have "air superiority" in numbers. But the Shattershield spell easily does away with this, once again making astral offense the winner.

need i remind you of stealth aircrafts, cruise missiles and wild weasel aircrafts with HARM's? its like newton said, for every action there is a equal and oposite reaction.

if the huk was to blow up a carrier, whatever contrys military would be all over them like flies on a dead camel in the desert. heh, it kinda reminds me of the quote of an japanese admiral or whatever before the strike on pearl harbour; "we are about to wake up a sleeping dragon, and it will be angry".

so sure it would be spectacular, but they would be regretting it for years to come.

oh, and while one may not be able to afford to have permanent mage patrols, i would atleast expect permanent spirit patrols. and given the target, water spirits wink.gif
Shrike30
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
so sure it would be spectacular, but they would be regretting it for years to come.

You mean, kinda like Al Qaeda is "regretting" the 9/11 attacks right now? It's been five years, and they don't exactly seem crushed.
2bit
Ok, alternate drain formula: (Force +- drain mods) / 2 instead of (Force / 2) +- drain mods. here are some sample spells and their drain codes force 1 to 9. As you can see dividing last downplays the effect that drain mods have on the drain DV because it "slides the scale" over one instead of changing by 1 across the board. Resisting drain of trivial spells is less guaranteed at very high force, and casting very difficult spells is less suicidal. A lot less.

Personally I think it's a great change and may result in elemental spells seeing regular use. I can't remember the last time anyone in a game I played cast a real honest to ghost fireball.

Spell Name : drain formula
Force
Drain DV, dividing first (canon)
Drain DV, dividing last (house)

Alleviate Addiction : (F/2) -4
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2

Shattershield : (F/2) -3
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 3

Orgasm : (F/2) -2
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2
1 1 1 1 1 2 2 3 3

Stunbolt : (F/2) -1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 1 1 1 1 2 2 3 3
1 1 1 1 2 2 3 3 4

Manabolt : (F/2)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4
1 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4

Improved Invisibility : (F/2) +1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
2 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5
1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5

Control Thoughts : (F/2) +2
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
3 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6
1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5

Chaotic World : (F/2) +3
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
4 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7
2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6

Mob Mind : (F/2) +4
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
5 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8
2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6

Fireball : (F/2) +5
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
6 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9
3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7

Napalm (2-elemental effect spell) : (F/2) +7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
8 8 8 9 9 0 0 1 1
4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8
X-Kalibur
My GM had set it up so that overcasting increased the drain exponentially. So overcasting by 1 point was a +1, by 2 was a +2, by 3 was a +4, etc. Overcasting was suddenly much less common. I also like the idea of drain damage only being healed by rest.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 6 2006, 11:56 AM)

You mean, kinda like Al Qaeda is "regretting" the 9/11 attacks right now? It's been five years, and they don't exactly seem crushed.

im not entirely sure about the correctness of said comparison, but i was expecting to see a 9/11 refrence sooner or later nyahnyah.gif
Samaels Ghost
Now all we need is a comparison to Nazis and we'll have ourselves a "debate" biggrin.gif
lorechaser
The book says to divide first. Do you hate the book? Do you hate books in general?

Do you know who else hated books?

The Nazis.

QED.
Samaels Ghost
Hoorah!
Dissonance
hitler.jpg^50

Okay, so dumpshock doesn't do images. You'll just have to imagine this Fifty Hitler Post, okay? It's the Where's Waldo version with 49 Hitlers and 1 Stalin.
NightHaunter
Yeah, I covered this in a previous thred.
I gets more insane when you over summon a spirit of man and then have it overcast.
Force 24 without initiation anyone!

Overcasting is only really a problem on combat spells anyway, anyone got a fix for that?
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (NightHaunter)
Yeah, I covered this in a previous thred.
I gets more insane when you over summon a spirit of man and then have it overcast.
Force 24 without initiation anyone!

Overcasting is only really a problem on combat spells anyway, anyone got a fix for that?

Spirits overcasting? I wouldn't do it if i were it. First, you've summoned a Force 12 Spirit, which is not going to respect your weak ass, and second you're asking it to hurt itself for you, the weak ass. It would do it's best to screw you over. "The most powerful version of the spell you just gave me? Sure *witholds dice for spellcasting* I'll do that ork.gif"
DireRadiant
Doesn't overcasting do physical drain which can only be healed naturally?
James McMurray
Drain cannot be healed magically, but some spells have drain codes low enough that you can overcast with little to no chance of taking drain.
Slithery D
Yes. If a player forced his spirit to overcast, it could certainly be grounds for future spirits being hostile - completing orders literally to screw your intention, attacking you if they ever go uncontrolled (not that anyone would bother banishing them), and automatically applying the -2 sustaining penalty whenever you call a bound spirit.
NightHaunter
QUOTE (DireRadiant)

Got a page ref on that?
James McMurray
Street Magic states that it is an optional rule to allow drain to be healed by magic. It has been stated here by the designers that magic is not meant to be able to heal drain and it will be clarified in the FAQ. As far as I know there's nothing stopping drain from being healed with First Aid.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (NightHaunter)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Sep 7 2006, 05:22 PM)

Got a page ref on that?

It's in Street Magic. One of the optional rules is to allow overcasting damage to be healed magically. Implied, obscure, but clearly indicating the non optional rule is that physical drain isn't normally allowed to be healed with magic.
Metasigil
There is no page reference... yet. One of the writers said that Physical Drain caused by Overcasting was not ment to be healable with magic (I don't know about First Aid, I'm hoping that's still allowable). Street Magic apparently assumes this to be true and it's supposed to be in the FAQ when/ if that ever gets put up.
NightHaunter
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Sep 7 2006, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (NightHaunter @ Sep 7 2006, 11:45 AM)

Got a page ref on that?

It's in Street Magic. One of the optional rules is to allow overcasting damage to be healed magically. Implied, obscure, but clearly indicating the non optional rule is that physical drain isn't normally allowed to be healed with magic.

Yeah don't have street magic yet.
The british suppliers were cocks about it.
Only got enough stock for two big companies.
And pretty much told everyone else to go hang.
So my city missed out.
I gotta wait 2 more weeks.
Cakeman
Astral offensive wins... you know, since I like the world in one piece there's only one solution: no unlicensed mages. We have to put them all under control... maybe some kind of corps to take them in young, foster them into good lawful citizens who we control and who can scan the globe for every little upstart that got through.

What should we call this corps? Potential Shattershield Inhibition Corps, yeah, that's it.

I feel a new campaign coming up...
Butterblume
QUOTE (Cakeman)
Potential Shattershield Inhibition Corps

I get that reference.

It's the Bester biggrin.gif.
Shrike30
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 6 2006, 02:20 PM)
im not entirely sure about the correctness of said comparison, but i was expecting to see a 9/11 refrence sooner or later nyahnyah.gif

Hey, I figured it was a closer comparison to SR's Huk vs. Chinese situation than WWII's Pacific War, and it seemed like a valid point to make. I could invoke Vietnam, if you prefer.
Cold-Dragon
QUOTE (Metasigil @ Sep 7 2006, 11:51 AM)
There is no page reference...  yet.  One of the writers said that Physical Drain caused by Overcasting was not ment to be healable with magic (I don't know about First Aid, I'm hoping that's still allowable).  Street Magic apparently assumes this to be true and it's supposed to be in the FAQ when/ if that ever gets put up.

I never really saw a problem with healing physical overcast, especially since you'd only have one chance to heal it all afterwards with a spell (the only 'fast' fast way I would expect to cause problems). The reason? any spell you are going to overcast for that you'll likely need healing after to avoid death have high drains anyways, so overcasting them will be high enough to make any half decent shot fatal. Sure, if you don't shoot them, they'll probably heal a part of it, but that's time spent recovering and not fighting.

And if it happens to be a low drain spell, well...short of deathtouch and similar limited circumstances, it's not entirely a big deal if your mage has a nosebleed to paint the mercedes (only if someone shoots a grenade into the backseat before he heals up).
Cognitive Resonance
QUOTE (Slithery D)
and automatically applying the -2 sustaining penalty whenever you call a bound spirit.

Can you give a reference for this part, I don't recall reading that the spirit had an option like this?
Slithery D
Sidebar, pg. 178 of SR4. It's an option to keep your mage from calling five bound spirits to attack all at once. Suggestions are to only apply it if the magician "abuses" spirits, or only after the first bound spirit.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (NightHaunter)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Sep 7 2006, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (NightHaunter @ Sep 7 2006, 11:45 AM)

Got a page ref on that?

Yeah don't have street magic yet.
The british suppliers were cocks about it.
Only got enough stock for two big companies.
And pretty much told everyone else to go hang.
So my city missed out.
I gotta wait 2 more weeks.

no chance of getting it shipped from leisure games or something?

hell, i plan to do so and im not even from the UK. the only national shop i know that have SR4 products in have yet to get runner havens, much less street magic...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012