Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free spirits as character
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dentris
Ok, I had this idea while reading Street Magic. Why not making a Free Spirit campaign.

I wrote down some rules to make it possible. (I was inspired by the Ally Spirit creation system to do it)

Step 1: Choose Form

A Free Spirit is either a manifesting, possessing or inhabiting spirit. For manifesting and possessing spirit, continue with Path A and for inhabiting spirit, continue with Path B

Path A: Step 2: Choose type and tradition

A Free Spirit is always part of a tradition and of a certain type. Choose a tradition and a relevant type for it. (For example, a beast spirit from the shamanic tradition) A possessing spirit may only be a member of a possessing tradition. There are no limitation to use toxic spirits, insect spirits or even shedims (although the GM always have the last word), but no greater form is allowed (Insect Queens for ezample)

Path A: Step 3: Starting abilities

A Free spirit starts with a force rating of 1, an edge of 1, the powers Astral Form, Banishing Resistance, Sapience and Spirit Pact. It also has the Magician Quality (with a magic rating equal to its force) and the skills Assessing, Astral Combat, Dodge, Perception and Unarmed Combat. A spirit also has all the negative qualities related to its type (allergy to water for fire spirit for example)

Path A: Step 4: Build Points

Not every free spirits are the same. It is why a starting free spirit is given 50 build points with which to customize its abilities. Increasing the force of a spirit costs 8 build points per rating. Increasing its edge costs 10 build points. Adding a power usually available to a spirit of its type (Including optional powers) cost 3 BP, while a power from another spirit's list costs 5. Adding a skill usually available to the spirit's type cost 3 BP, while any other skill except skills from the conjuring group costs 5 BP. (A spirit cannot learn skills from the conjuring group). Learning a spell costs 3 BP if the spell is appropriate for a spirit of its type and tradition (for example, combat spells for a beast spirit from the shamanic tradition) and 5 BP for any other spells. Learning a metamagic ability costs 15 BP.

*For a task spirit, all technical and physical skills cost 3 BP.
*For a spirit of man, all spells cost 3 BP.
*A spirit gains one freeadditional power for every point of edge he has.

Path A: Step 5: Calculate physical and astral stats.

A spirit's skill rating is equal to its force. A spirits mental attribute is equal to its force. A spirit's physical attribute in astral is equal to its force, while in the physical world, it's equal to his vessel attribute plus its force (for possessing spirit) or its force plus any bonus from the relevant manifesting form of its type (+2 body, +1 agi, +2 reaction and +2 strength for beast spirit). Finally, a spirit has 2 IP in physical form and 3 IP in astral form.

Path B: Step 2:

Same as Path A

Path B: Step 3:

Replace Astral Form with Immunity to Normal Weapons

Path B: Step 4:

Same as Path A, both a inhabiting spirit has to create its vessel too. He may trade any BP (up to 10 of its points) into normal character creation BP. these BP are trade on a 1 to 10 basis. (4 spirit BP is traded into 40 character BP) With these points. He has to buy for its vessel's physical attribute, metatype and equipment. Any magical equipment must be bound with the spirit's BP, though. To compensate for the lack of the vessel's mental attribute, the costs of the metatype are not the same. Ork: 30 BP. Dwarf: 25 BP. Elf: 20 BP. Troll: 60 BP.

Path B: Step 5:

Same as path A except that an inhabiting spirit's physical attribute is equal to its vessel attribute plus its force. Any cyberware doesn't cost essence (a spirit has no essence). Instead, it is used as a direct penalty to the spirit's magic attribute.

What do you think...and post your example of free spirit character if you want.
Backgammon
Ok I stopped reading after Free Spirits as characters. If you want an actual campaing, it's a terrible idea. If you want something to do while you think of your next actual campaign, then sure, why not.

I did make a PC a free spirit once. The player was, first of all, kinda weird and didn't mind not actually being a real PC. I made sme severely limiting rules for him, such as he could only posssess rats to intereact with the physical world and was low force. He basically was comic relief, had fun, but was inconsequential.
Ophis
I've been pondering this one for a while, not as a campaign though just as an option for an odd PC. I'm trying to do my best to come up with a set up that works on the 400 BP standard. I'd make force pricey and allow you to by the basic type like a race, ie beast, or ally.

Force would have to be pricey as so much relies on it. Probably 30-50 points maybe moor, possibly 80 as it is they base for all 8 stats oh and magic... Maybe leave the rest of the costs as per ally spirit and price up the types based on that with a package discount. I'd need to price up the free powers too.
Witness
My first thought on reading the title was 'Balance. That's why not.'
But then I read the actual proposal: having a campaign in which all the players play free spirits really appeals to me. It'd be a very different kind of game to play in the Shadowrun world, of course: very high power, and the plot probably couldn't even follow your standard 'johnson-legwork-action-twist-escape' pattern, but I don't have a problem with varying that formula.
Demerzel
My first reaction is that Spirits can't gain Karma without a willing donor unless your a mantid.
emo samurai
What if you're a free spirit? My first power would be karma drain if you can't gain it normally.
Witness
QUOTE (Demerzel)
My first reaction is that Spirits can't gain Karma without a willing donor unless your a mantid.

Now there are the makings of a plot mechanic.
Samaels Ghost
I don't know. Going around eatin' bugs isn't my idea of fun indifferent.gif
NightHaunter
Just no.

Unless maybe.

What if you are the ally spirit of a party member.
Not free just an ally.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (NightHaunter)
What if you are the ally spirit of a party member.
Not free just an ally.

Well that's one character's BP providing characters for two players. I don't see how that could be overpowered.
NightHaunter
Exactly.
Plus could be great fun if the ally goes free due to near death experiences!
Dentris
Well, as Witness mentionned, the idea is having a free spirit Campaign, making any comparison with the actual game useless. I don't want to try and balance the cost, that would be impossible. I'm trying to see if it is a good idea rping-wise or not.
emo samurai
Free spirits can't get karma on their own?
Slithery D
Only with a dream pact.
Ranneko
Indeed, and I think it could be an interesting campaign concept. Especially coming up with deals in order to gain karma.
Cold-Dragon
Well, 'getting' karma wouldn't be too hard, if you have a safe way of making deals with metahumans without risking formula's or true names. a lot will willingly trade a bit of karma for nuyen and other wealth - you'd jus pretend to have a power you don't and trade now and then. Otherwise, all the other nitty gritty ways open up plot hooks to sink into your flesh.

Having an energy drain for karma might not be a bad idea if you make it a slow drain - that way you can't just suck it out of people left and right - and as GM, you can make it so you can't get useful karma out of any street corner pick-up.

On the other hand...there's no harm in 'cheating' by allowing said spirits to acquire karma like any other metahuman - it can represent small deals on the side, wash off from enemies or other mages, etc.

oh! there's also being the avatar for a magic group - that'd be an amusing 'job'. XD
hyzmarca
Throw BP out the window. It is too much trouble. Instead, give the players karma and money and have them build their free spirits with karma using the ally rules.

Note that if you allow the karma drain power without restrictions then your spirits will become very powerful very fast. There is nothing to stop them from draining every mook NPC they meet. I would recomend that PC spirits who purchase the Energy Drain power also get a shadow spirit class with this purchase. Their shadow spirit class limits their use of the energy drain power (sucubus can only drain karma as sexual energy, wraith can only drain it via homocidal rage) but it does not give them the powers normally asociated with that shadow spirit. Those must be purchases seperatly.

Alternatly, you can remove the stats/skills = Force rule and instead make Force a special stat that caps the spirit's abilities but does not determine them. Thus, a spirit wanting a skills of six must purchase a Force of 6 and Purchase every skill up individually. In addition, the Free SPirit would have a number of Power Points equal to its Force and the GM could assign point values to all of the spirit powers (except those which the spirits get for free just because they are spirits).
If you do this you can use the standard character creation rules and you'll produce above average PC who are below average free spirits.
Dentris
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Throw BP out the window. It is too much trouble. Instead, give the players karma and money and have them build their free spirits with karma using the ally rules.

Note that if you allow the karma drain power without restrictions then your spirits will become very powerful very fast. There is nothing to stop them from draining every mook NPC they meet. I would recomend that PC spirits who purchase the Energy Drain power also get a shadow spirit class with this purchase. Their shadow spirit class limits their use of the energy drain power (sucubus can only drain karma as sexual energy, wraith can only drain it via homocidal rage) but it does not give them the powers normally asociated with that shadow spirit. Those must be purchases seperatly.

Alternatly, you can remove the stats/skills = Force rule and instead make Force a special stat that caps the spirit's abilities but does not determine them. Thus, a spirit wanting a skills of six must purchase a Force of 6 and Purchase every skill up individually. In addition, the Free SPirit would have a number of Power Points equal to its Force and the GM could assign point values to all of the spirit powers (except those which the spirits get for free just because they are spirits).
If you do this you can use the standard character creation rules and you'll produce above average PC who are below average free spirits.

In a sense, it's what I've done. The actual sysem to create the free spirits is based upon the ally spirit creation system and the BP costs are (almost) always a direct reflection of the karma costs. I just added some rules to round up thing. I 've noticed, though. there is no way to spend less than 3 BP using this system. I could had a rule where you can spend 1 BP to learn a skll's specialization. Or jsut to keep BP as karma points for later improvment.
James McMurray
I think it's definitely viable as a campaign, and could be quite fun. Not following the 'johnson-legwork-action-twist-escape' pattern is actually a good thing at times.

I'd tie the campaign into defense of the prime material plane from metaplanar threats, but that's just me. It could also work as the opposite, or even just mercenary spirits doing things for karma.
Cang
oh man, i would never allow it... but hey, to each his own. Would be pretty funny to have a char who is really afraid of banishment.
Dentris
Ok, I'll probably try such a game. My idea was having rogue spirits banished from their home metaplane injustly and their goal is to find who or what staged it and why. They would work pretty much like shadowrunner for nuyens, contacts and reputation and with magicians for karma (through their dream pact ability)

Here's an example of a character that would fit in such a game:

Nathaniel, angel of Gabriel (Christian spirit of water)

Force 4 (24 BP) manifesting spirit
Edge 2 (10 BP)

Skills: Assensing, Astral Combat, Dodge, Perception, Unarmed Combat, Negotiation, Spellcasting. (10 BP)

Powers: Astral Form, Banishing Resistance, Sapience, Spirit Pact, Confusion, Concealment, Search (3 BP)

Spells: Analyse Truth (3 BP)

Physical Attributes: Body: 6; Agility: 4, Reaction: 6, Strength: 4
Dentris
And there is no reason not to go wild about such ideas.

Tchernobyl, Hermetic toxic spirit of Fire (nuclear spirit)

Force 2 (8 BP) Inhabiting spirit

Edge 4 (30 BP)

Skills: Assessing, Astral Combat, Dodge, Perception, Unarmed Combat, Heavy Weapons (5 BP)

Powers: Immunity to Normal Weapons, Banishing Resistance, Sapience, Spirit Pact, Accident, Energy Aura (Radiation), Engulf (Radiation), Guard.

Spells: -

Physical form: Ork with Body 4, Agi 3 (5), Reac 2 and Str 3, Aluminium Bone Lacing, Muscle Toner 2, Skillwires 3, Smartgun Link, Armor Jacket, Stoner-Ares M202 (with Gyro-stabilization, GAz-vent 3 and smartlink), Fake SIN 2, CMT Ichi w/Renraku Ichi. (7 BP)

Physical attributes: Body 6, Agility 7, Reaction 4, Strength 5. Armor 9/6, +2 body to resist damage. Strength/2 + 6 damage (8DV) when striking unarmed.
Witness
Hmm. Having those two on the same team would certainly generate some fireworks!
I don't know though... toxic spirits are pretty messed up, aren't they? Aziraphale and Crowley working together (Good Omens) is one thing, but a toxic...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012